2023-2024 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2023-2024 Wrestling Season

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

OIAwrestling wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:29 am
808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 am I hear there is a coaching change at campbell. The team seems excited about it. Might be the spark they needed
Do you know who they’re planning to bring in?
I don’t know anything. Just what I heard at Westerns.

wrestlehard808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlehard808 »

ILH state qualifier predictions:

106: Kusumoto (KSK), Tamaribuchi (IOL), Kamaka (STL)

113: Suan (STL), Kaai, (PAC-5) Trivedi (PUN), Namocot (KSK)

120: Lau (MPI), Kusumoto (KSK), Kekoa-Amano (PAC-5), Oshiro (IOL)

126: Berger (STL), Chang/Landford (KSK), Apio (IOL), Tyau (PAC-5)

132: Kekauoha/Chang/Landford (KSK), Correa (STL), Wakabayashi (IOL), Chinen-Zablan (DAM)

138: McKenzie (KSK), Otsuka-Bence (PUN), Kashiwabara (IOL), Geronimo (DAM),

144: Paaluhi (KSK), Sekigawa (IOL), Miyaguchi (PUN), Suzuki (PAC-5)

150: Cobb-Adams (STL), Mercado (PUN)?, Pavao (KSK), Somera (DAM)

157: Erolin (PAC-5), Balisacan (STL), Machida (IOL), Paclib (KSK)

165: Nishida (KSK), Furuta (PUN), Apduhan (STL), Ogata (DAM)

175: Tuikolongahau (KSK), Ito (PUN), Trieu (IOL)

190: McCreedie (STL), Harbottle (KSK), Arizumi (PUN)

215: Miller (KSK), Ho (PUN), Altomare (STL)

285: Ka’aha’aina-Torres (STL), Martin (PUN), Monlux (KSK)

Some interesting points:

Berger may move up to 132, and perhaps Lau will replace him at 126

Any word about Chang going up and taking Kekauoha’s spot?

Will Mercado wrestle? He made scratch at 150 so I assume that’s where we will be heading.

126 in general is very up in the air

Questions, comments, or concerns?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

wrestlehard808 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:44 am ILH state qualifier predictions:

106: Kusumoto (KSK), Tamaribuchi (IOL), Kamaka (STL)

113: Suan (STL), Kaai, (PAC-5) Trivedi (PUN), Namocot (KSK)

120: Lau (MPI), Kusumoto (KSK), Kekoa-Amano (PAC-5), Oshiro (IOL)

126: Berger (STL), Chang/Landford (KSK), Apio (IOL), Tyau (PAC-5)

132: Kekauoha/Chang/Landford (KSK), Correa (STL), Wakabayashi (IOL), Chinen-Zablan (DAM)

138: McKenzie (KSK), Otsuka-Bence (PUN), Kashiwabara (IOL), Geronimo (DAM),

144: Paaluhi (KSK), Sekigawa (IOL), Miyaguchi (PUN), Suzuki (PAC-5)

150: Cobb-Adams (STL), Mercado (PUN)?, Pavao (KSK), Somera (DAM)

157: Erolin (PAC-5), Balisacan (STL), Machida (IOL), Paclib (KSK)

165: Nishida (KSK), Furuta (PUN), Apduhan (STL), Ogata (DAM)

175: Tuikolongahau (KSK), Ito (PUN), Trieu (IOL)

190: McCreedie (STL), Harbottle (KSK), Arizumi (PUN)

215: Miller (KSK), Ho (PUN), Altomare (STL)

285: Ka’aha’aina-Torres (STL), Martin (PUN), Monlux (KSK)

Some interesting points:

Berger may move up to 132, and perhaps Lau will replace him at 126

Any word about Chang going up and taking Kekauoha’s spot?

Will Mercado wrestle? He made scratch at 150 so I assume that’s where we will be heading.

126 in general is very up in the air

Questions, comments, or concerns?
Berger wrestled 126 last weekend, so I think he'll stay.
I don't think Chang is moving up either. KSK tends to stop wrestling off prior to dual tourney and he didn't compete at 132
I'm like 90% sure we'll see Mercado at 150 this weekend

Does anyone know why Ito moved up to 175 after being undefeated at 165? Sorry, that just seemed like a strange choice

wrestlehard808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wrestlehard808 »

I think Ito just didn’t want to or couldn’t cut that much weight anymore. I don’t really understand either though.

BroStaff
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BroStaff »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:49 am
808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 am I hear there is a coaching change at campbell. The team seems excited about it. Might be the spark they needed
I heard lots of speculation and rumors, but apparently there were parental complaints from within the squad. On the surface it sounds very similar to what Kalaheo did to Alika Smith in 2015.

BroStaff
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BroStaff »

Sponjah1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:08 pm Campbell winning the west was a little surprising. Some of their guys are on the bubble of making the finals for the OIA. I think Tanele Kato sheldon taboyoyong and baptista are veterans who can get it done.
138 is a tough weight class, but Baptista is having a surprisingly inconsistent season. I was expecting him and Shigemoto in the final at Westerns. Way more more talented than his W-L record would suggest.

coachroach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by coachroach »

126 Corpuz looks like hes almost back to full form easily winning his finals against a tough Gonda from waianae.

Gonda almost won that match. It was tight till the end. Gonda had Corpuz in real trouble before going out of bounds and also needing injury time.

coachroach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by coachroach »

BroStaff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am

I heard lots of speculation and rumors, but apparently there were parental complaints from within the squad. On the surface it sounds very similar to what Kalaheo did to Alika Smith in 2015.

Rumors

808WrestlingFan

coachroach wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:54 pm 126 Corpuz looks like hes almost back to full form easily winning his finals against a tough Gonda from waianae.

Gonda almost won that match. It was tight till the end. Gonda had Corpuz in real trouble before going out of bounds and also needing injury time.
Maybe easily was the wrong word but it never looked like he was in danger of losing match.

808WrestlingFan

coachroach wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:55 pm
BroStaff wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am

Rumors
Rumors mixed with the fact that campbells head coach hasnt been seen at the last 2 oia tournaments. Dual meet championships and westerners. Gotta be some truth to it.

OIAwrestling
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAwrestling »

talloola25 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:28 pm
OIAwrestling wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:25 pm Wanted to make a top 10 P4P girls list before the league championships. First off, need to applaud any girl on any top 10 list. What I think makes lists interesting, are the formulas that people use to determine their rankings and how they differ from person to person. Here are some of mines.
-Undefeated from pre season tournaments to today, gets priority. Undefeated but didn’t participate in pre season tournaments are next. 1 loss can’t make the list.
- Throw away previous years results all the way through the summer. Wrestlers can get better or worse in the off season. The list is for this season.
-Dominance in your weight class. Distancing yourself from the next best wrestler in your weight class.
-I am very knowledgeable about OIA. Fairly knowledgeable about ILH. Not as knowledgeable about outer Islands.

1 Jax Realin 130
2 Taydem Uemura 135
3 Zaira Sugui 155
4 Eloise Woolsey 140
5 Bethany Chargualef 170
6 Kaitlyn Fong 110
7 Catherine Asami 190

8 Sky Ramos 105
9 Maia Esera 190
10 Jereem Estibilio 110

1 loss top 5

1 Kaycee Dudoit 1 loss to Cabinian
2 Tatiana Paragas 1 loss to Dudoit
3 Adriana Daoang 1 loss to Yogi
4 Anela Hokoana 1 loss to Fong
5 Jahlia Miguel 1 loss to Sugui

Can someone make a boys list?
A few thoughts on your criteria(just my opinion obv).
-Undefeated from pre season tournaments to today, gets priority. Undefeated but didn’t participate in pre season tournaments are next. 1 loss can’t make the list. - there are some wrestlers with losses I would rate over undefeated ones. I think the "eye test" is important in determining p4p even if it's super subjective lol.
- Throw away previous years results all the way through the summer. Wrestlers can get better or worse in the off season. The list is for this season.
-Dominance in your weight class. Distancing yourself from the next best wrestler in your weight class. - I think this is a bit disingenuous to not use prior season accomplishments to figure out p4p. I think it applies to weight class rankings, but p4p should definitely be included. It shows the caliber of those you've wrestled. If a wrestler beats a 2x champ and another hasn't beat anyone of that quality, I would lean towards the former. I believe in your picks you may have also.
1 Jax Realin 130 - 15-0 all tech falls or falls. No dec or maj dec.
2 Taydem Uemura 135 - 20-0 all tech falls or falls, except one regular decision
3 Zaira Sugui 155 - 12-0 all tech falls or falls exept 2 dec and 1 maj dec
4 Eloise Woolsey 140 - 18-0 all tech falls or falls. No dec or maj dec.
5 Bethany Chargualef 170 - 18-0 all tech falls or falls except 1 maj dec.
6 Kaitlyn Fong 110 - 8-0 all tech falls or falls except 2 dec
7 Catherine Asami 190 - 13-0 all falls
Jax and Taydem are 2x finalists, so 1 and 2 make sense. Just curious what made you put Sugui over Woolsey. Both have only placed 1x with Woolsey being a champ and Sugui being runner up. Asami is a 2x finalist and 1x champ. Chargualef is a 2x finalist as well. I think Fong and Sugui have had the higheslt of quality in opponents this season though. When all of the wrestlers are virtually identical, I think past should play into it.
1. Jax 2. Asami 3. Woolsey 4. Uemura 5. Chargualef 6. Sugui 7. Fong - but definitely splitting hairs lol. Will look at the guys a bit later. Also, fwiw I beilieve Esera is #1 p4p and I don't believe it's close. I think she will win 190 and would win 235 if she decided to wrestle that instead.
I appreciate your opinions. I have no problem with Woolsey before Sugui. I feel top 5 run away with it. My next two will be challenged during states. Really hard to determine a number one.
No hate for Esera but I definitely thought Nitta was the overall. Her skillset is much higher than Esera. They both beat the best at the weight class lower. This year is a different year. Esera has a really banged up shoulder. Idk how bad it is right now but it was enough to keep her from playing volleyball or participating in the pre season. That’s a game changer. A healthy Esera should get by Asami idk about a bad shoulder Esera. The heavyweights have gone from 225 to 235. Again, not sure I’d say she’d wipe all of them out and is clearly the number 1. And not being close.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Boys p4p top 5. There are about 11 undefeated wrestlers and I don't want to make them all even though they definitely deserve it lol. Only naming 5 makes it easier to pick a fight with my picks. I'm mostly using dominance, accomplishments, and best wins.
1. Lebuanan 144 2x champ - has upped his game and has dominated everyone. Closest match was a dec over Salter(at "Who's Next" event)
2. Taam 138 2x champ - dominant in all wins. Best win is returning Runner-up Shigemoto
3. Berger 126 1x champ - dominating everyone. Best win is Landford by fall
4. Del Rosario 120 1x placer. Dominating most matches. Best win Kusumoto 2x champ
5. Goeas - Dominant in most wins. In close matches, there is still not a question of who's going to win (except once). Best win Xander Erolin 2x champ
1&2 can definitely flip a coin for order, but I like the offensive dominance he's showing this year. Not being content to just ride and win by a few points like some matches last year.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

@OIAwrestling - your 100% correct about that. I wasn't sure how bad her shoulder was tbh. If it is that bad, I would agree with you. Also, I believe Nitta was the most skilled wrestler last year and tbh should have won the year before as well(the officiating in her finals match was a bit suspect at some points, but officially is hard so I understand). TBH I hope Esera is at her best for states, because she's fun to watch when she is.

that_guy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by that_guy »

talloola25 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:01 am Boys p4p top 5. There are about 11 undefeated wrestlers and I don't want to make them all even though they definitely deserve it lol. Only naming 5 makes it easier to pick a fight with my picks. I'm mostly using dominance, accomplishments, and best wins.
1. Lebuanan 144 2x champ - has upped his game and has dominated everyone. Closest match was a dec over Salter(at "Who's Next" event)
2. Taam 138 2x champ - dominant in all wins. Best win is returning Runner-up Shigemoto
4. Del Rosario 120 1x placer. Dominating most matches. Best win Kusumoto 2x champ
5. Goeas - Dominant in most wins. In close matches, there is still not a question of who's going to win (except once). Best win Xander Erolin 2x champ
1&2 can definitely flip a coin for order, but I like the offensive dominance he's showing this year. Not being content to just ride and win by a few points like some matches last year.
Lebuanan definitely has had a great year, but he has yet to challenge someone with fire like Paʻaluhi(KSK) or Porter(WAN). You could argue his match with Sekigawa(IOL) reflects what a match would be with Paʻaluhi but I disagree. Paʻaluhi could definitely give him a tough match, possibly even beating him, and with Porter, it is hard to say who meets at finals.

BroStaff
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BroStaff »

that_guy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am
talloola25 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:01 am Boys p4p top 5. There are about 11 undefeated wrestlers and I don't want to make them all even though they definitely deserve it lol. Only naming 5 makes it easier to pick a fight with my picks. I'm mostly using dominance, accomplishments, and best wins.
Lebuanan definitely has had a great year, but he has yet to challenge someone with fire like Paʻaluhi(KSK) or Porter(WAN). You could argue his match with Sekigawa(IOL) reflects what a match would be with Paʻaluhi but I disagree. Paʻaluhi could definitely give him a tough match, possibly even beating him, and with Porter, it is hard to say who meets at finals.
Labuanan is probably one of the most talented wrestlers I’ve seen. Unfortunately, his poor sportsmanship, cockiness and showboating is downright disrespectful. I get the vibe that many cheer against him. It’ll definitely be Taavi or Branson against him for the State title.