2023-2024 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2023-2024 Wrestling Season

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:27 am
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 am OIA Divisional brackets are out. Any surprises? Notice any key wrestlers missing?

On the ILH side, heard a rumor that Berger is going up to 132. Any confirmation on that?
I really hope not. If so, that probably would mean Lau is going to 126 as well... which would kind of make me sad we don't get anymore Kusumoto/Lau matches. That being said, we might get anymore Erolin/Goeas matches either.... I think we might see him and Mercado at 150 next weekend for ILHs. They have duals this weekend, maybe we'll get some previews of the new weights.... if they change it up.

Excited for this weekend's OIA Divisionals though! Here are a list of the matches I'm looking forward to.
106: Kalaukoa v Murillo, Hotema v Winner - Murillo and Hotema are 1-1. Murillo's only other loss was by DQ.
113: Kamakaala v Tanaka, Bicoy v Sheldon
120: Kato v whoever
126: Torres v Seson, Corpuz v whoever
165: Freitas(WAL) v Schulz(RAD) finalist and 4th place at Officials. Woolsey v winner
190: Jackson(MIL) v Edwards(PC) - Jackson's only loss is a DQ and Edwards has 2 losses(to Jackson and McCreadie; both by decision)
215: Sailele v Stephen - It is 2-1 in favor or Stephen rn. Curious how it goes.
Girls:
105: Cabinian v Obuhanych
120: Hotema(KLN) v Yasumura(MOA)
125: Kalamau(MOA) v Lopes(KAH)
135: Hunter(MOA) v Taeu(KAH)
At 126, I'm hoping it's Corpuz vs Gonda. That should be pretty exciting. 132 has a lot of guys around the same skill level. I think Ryker is the clear favorite in the OIA, but looking forward to seeing how the rest play out (on both sides of the OIA).

Kardon6
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kardon6 »

Thoughts on the regional champs? Favorite matches?

808WrestlingFan

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

Anybody catch easterns today? I caught the finals at west. Loughlin the Mililani 106 looks really tough. I wouldn’t surprise to see him on the top of the podium next weekend. 113 Bicoy dominated Sheldon. 120 Kato had no real competition. 126 Corpuz looks like hes almost back to full form easily winning his finals against a tough Gonda from waianae. 132 Ryker dominated Taboyayobong. 138 Shigemoto had no real competition. Just toyed with his kid in the finals. 144 porter looks great in the beginning but was vulnerable towards the end as he gassed out. I missed most of the last few matches. Tanele had a close match with Judalino at 175. 190 was back and fourth in the beginning until Jackson pinned his waianae opponent. Missed the girls matches. Maybe someone else can comment.

BroStaff
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BroStaff »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:39 pm Anybody catch easterns today? I caught the finals at west. Loughlin the Mililani 106 looks really tough. I wouldn’t surprise to see him on the top of the podium next weekend. 113 Bicoy dominated Sheldon. 120 Kato had no real competition. 126 Corpuz looks like hes almost back to full form easily winning his finals against a tough Gonda from waianae. 132 Ryker dominated Taboyayobong. 138 Shigemoto had no real competition. Just toyed with his kid in the finals. 144 porter looks great in the beginning but was vulnerable towards the end as he gassed out. I missed most of the last few matches. Tanele had a close match with Judalino at 175. 190 was back and fourth in the beginning until Jackson pinned his waianae opponent. Missed the girls matches. Maybe someone else can comment.
Not many surprises on the girls’ side. On a side note, Campbell’s Elijah Perez has been competing in the 285 class because their starter quit a couple weeks ago and placed fifth today…at 210 pounds. That’s straight up BIG B*TO STATUS.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

BroStaff wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 pm
808WrestlingFan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:39 pm Anybody catch easterns today? I caught the finals at west. Loughlin the Mililani 106 looks really tough. I wouldn’t surprise to see him on the top of the podium next weekend. 113 Bicoy dominated Sheldon. 120 Kato had no real competition. 126 Corpuz looks like hes almost back to full form easily winning his finals against a tough Gonda from waianae. 132 Ryker dominated Taboyayobong. 138 Shigemoto had no real competition. Just toyed with his kid in the finals. 144 porter looks great in the beginning but was vulnerable towards the end as he gassed out. I missed most of the last few matches. Tanele had a close match with Judalino at 175. 190 was back and fourth in the beginning until Jackson pinned his waianae opponent. Missed the girls matches. Maybe someone else can comment.
Not many surprises on the girls’ side. On a side note, Campbell’s Elijah Perez has been competing in the 285 class because their starter quit a couple weeks ago and placed fifth today…at 210 pounds. That’s straight up BIG B*TO STATUS.
Yeah, I was hoping Stephen(Kapolei's 215) would wrestle hwt today as well. He pinned Peau(WAN) who got 2nd in 27 seconds last week at duals. He also pinned the runner up from the east in a similar manner. I wanted to see him v Lauifi lol

Kardon6
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Kardon6 »

talloola25 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:37 pm
BroStaff wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 pm
Yeah, I was hoping Stephen(Kapolei's 215) would wrestle hwt today as well. He pinned Peau(WAN) who got 2nd in 27 seconds last week at duals. He also pinned the runner up from the east in a similar manner. I wanted to see him v Lauifi lol
Yeah, Stephen’s improved a crazy amount since last year. He kinda just popped in last year lol. He wasn’t terrible or anything, maybe like average at best. The east 285 runner up dominated all of their matches at 195 last year. Now this year, he almost teched him. He pinned the OIA west 2nd place who Lauifi had trouble with, previously pinned the guy who beat the Officials 190 2nd place. He’s super strong and deceptively fast, along with alright technique. Did he wrestle at a club or something?

wowzag
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wowzag »

easterns was pretty fun to watch.From the boys: at 106 during the semis Kalaukoa got out of a cradle to pin Murillo and in the final, he picked Hotema off with multiple takedowns he reappeared to be a strong contender for the title, anyone knows what happened to Soriano though? With the way Hotema's been playing and with wins over Kalaukoa he could've also been the favorite for 106, at 113 Kamakaala dominated neutral against Tanaka, Moanalua made a huge tear in the finals with 120-150, Corpuz and Seson Edged out Kalani's 120 & 26 both of which could make a tear in both OIA and State, Wang's been on a tear beating the Officials Runner up Gasilos and the week prior beating Giron & Tabayoyong, could see him and Ryker in the finals having a fun match. Not many shockers after that, Goes played with his guy, and Hamana looks real good to win 175 not only for Oia's but for states too as my dark horse in the final. interested to hear your guy's predictions for Oia Finals pre-Oia Brackets. here's mine

106: 4 way split between Hotema(KLN), Kalaukoa(CSTL), Loughlin(MIL), and Murillo(MOA), Probably Kalaukoa vs Hotema/Loughlin where I See Kalaukoa winning next week.
113: Bicoy(PC) Vs Kamakaala(KAH)
120: Corpuz(MOA) Vs. Kato(CAM)
126: Seson (MOA)vs. Corpuz(MIL)/Torres(KLN)
132: Wang(MOA) Vs Shimabakuro(KPO)
138: Taam (MOA)Vs Shigemoto(MIL)
144: Porter(WAN) Vs Moa, Cam, Lei
150: Adiniwin(MOA) vs Hackney(CAM)
157: Goes(CSTL) Vs Theos (LEI)
165: Woolsey(KPO) Vs Chun(MOA)/ Shultz(RAD) depending on how the brackets come out
175: Hamana(CSTL) Vs Tanele (CAM)
190: Gaucher(KAS) Vs Jackson(MIL)
215: Stephen(KPO) Vs Kaumavae (MOA)
285: Laufi(WAP) Vs Far, Wan

With this season wrapping up it's getting hotter than ever, Moanalua once again looks like the front runners in state/OIA for both sides, with the boy's team shutting out the noise from Kalani this week they look to ride the wave throughout state. On the other hand, Kamehameha looks like their only challenger with them having Lil Kusumoto back into the mix he could also be a placer for them. Interested to also see how these last 2 tournaments of the season play out for the league championships and state.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

wowzag wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:23 am
easterns was pretty fun to watch.From the boys: at 106 during the semis Kalaukoa got out of a cradle to pin Murillo and in the final, he picked Hotema off with multiple takedowns he reappeared to be a strong contender for the title, anyone knows what happened to Soriano though? With the way Hotema's been playing and with wins over Kalaukoa he could've also been the favorite for 106, at 113 Kamakaala dominated neutral against Tanaka, Moanalua made a huge tear in the finals with 120-150, Corpuz and Seson Edged out Kalani's 120 & 26 both of which could make a tear in both OIA and State, Wang's been on a tear beating the Officials Runner up Gasilos and the week prior beating Giron & Tabayoyong, could see him and Ryker in the finals having a fun match. Not many shockers after that, Goes played with his guy, and Hamana looks real good to win 175 not only for Oia's but for states too as my dark horse in the final. interested to hear your guy's predictions for Oia Finals pre-Oia Brackets. here's mine

106: 4 way split between Hotema(KLN), Kalaukoa(CSTL), Loughlin(MIL), and Murillo(MOA), Probably Kalaukoa vs Hotema/Loughlin where I See Kalaukoa winning next week.
165: Woolsey(KPO) Vs Chun(MOA)/ Shultz(RAD) depending on how the brackets come out

With this season wrapping up it's getting hotter than ever, Moanalua once again looks like the front runners in state/OIA for both sides, with the boy's team shutting out the noise from Kalani this week they look to ride the wave throughout state. On the other hand, Kamehameha looks like their only challenger with them having Lil Kusumoto back into the mix he could also be a placer for them. Interested to also see how these last 2 tournaments of the season play out for the league championships and state.
Thanks for starting up the predictions. I'm already looking forward to next week! Here are my predictions:
106: Hotema (KLN) vs Kalaukoa (CAS) in a rematch of easterns
113: Bicoy (PC) Vs Kamakaala (KAH)
120: Corpuz (MOA) Vs. LUM (KLN) another rematch. Corpuz won with a late no-call obvious takedown yesterday.
126: Gonda (WAN) vs. Corpuz (MIL) rematch of westerns
132: Wang (MOA) Vs Shimabakuro (KPO)
138: Taam (MOA)Vs Shigemoto (MIL)
144: Porter (WAN) Vs Randles (MOA)
150: Adiniwin (MOA) vs Kohama (KLN), Kohama pinned Hackney a few weeks back, should come in as the 2 seed.
157: Goeas (CAS) Vs Theos (LEI)
165: Woolsey (KPO) Vs Chun (MOA)/ Virardi (KLN). Chun didn't wrestle easterns, not sure why. Virardi beat Schultz earlier this season.
175: Tanele (CAM) Vs Dela Cruz (AIE). Dela Cruz didn't wrestle westerns, not sure why either.
190: Gaucher (KAS) Vs Jackson (MIL)
215: Stephen (KPO) Vs Sailele (WAN) another rematch.
285: Laufi (WAP) Vs Peau (WAN)

OIAwrestling
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAwrestling »

Wanted to make a top 10 P4P girls list before the league championships. First off, need to applaud any girl on any top 10 list. What I think makes lists interesting, are the formulas that people use to determine their rankings and how they differ from person to person. Here are some of mines.
-Undefeated from pre season tournaments to today, gets priority. Undefeated but didn’t participate in pre season tournaments are next. 1 loss can’t make the list.
- Throw away previous years results all the way through the summer. Wrestlers can get better or worse in the off season. The list is for this season.
-Dominance in your weight class. Distancing yourself from the next best wrestler in your weight class.
-I am very knowledgeable about OIA. Fairly knowledgeable about ILH. Not as knowledgeable about outer Islands.

1 Jax Realin 130
2 Taydem Uemura 135
3 Zaira Sugui 155
4 Eloise Woolsey 140
5 Bethany Chargualef 170
6 Kaitlyn Fong 110
7 Catherine Asami 190

8 Sky Ramos 105
9 Maia Esera 190
10 Jereem Estibilio 110

1 loss top 5

1 Kaycee Dudoit 1 loss to Cabinian
2 Tatiana Paragas 1 loss to Dudoit
3 Adriana Daoang 1 loss to Yogi
4 Anela Hokoana 1 loss to Fong
5 Jahlia Miguel 1 loss to Sugui

Can someone make a boys list?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

OIAwrestling wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:25 pm Wanted to make a top 10 P4P girls list before the league championships. First off, need to applaud any girl on any top 10 list. What I think makes lists interesting, are the formulas that people use to determine their rankings and how they differ from person to person. Here are some of mines.
-Undefeated from pre season tournaments to today, gets priority. Undefeated but didn’t participate in pre season tournaments are next. 1 loss can’t make the list.
- Throw away previous years results all the way through the summer. Wrestlers can get better or worse in the off season. The list is for this season.
-Dominance in your weight class. Distancing yourself from the next best wrestler in your weight class.
-I am very knowledgeable about OIA. Fairly knowledgeable about ILH. Not as knowledgeable about outer Islands.

1 Jax Realin 130
2 Taydem Uemura 135
3 Zaira Sugui 155
4 Eloise Woolsey 140
5 Bethany Chargualef 170
6 Kaitlyn Fong 110
7 Catherine Asami 190

8 Sky Ramos 105
9 Maia Esera 190
10 Jereem Estibilio 110

1 loss top 5

1 Kaycee Dudoit 1 loss to Cabinian
2 Tatiana Paragas 1 loss to Dudoit
3 Adriana Daoang 1 loss to Yogi
4 Anela Hokoana 1 loss to Fong
5 Jahlia Miguel 1 loss to Sugui

Can someone make a boys list?
A few thoughts on your criteria(just my opinion obv).
-Undefeated from pre season tournaments to today, gets priority. Undefeated but didn’t participate in pre season tournaments are next. 1 loss can’t make the list. - there are some wrestlers with losses I would rate over undefeated ones. I think the "eye test" is important in determining p4p even if it's super subjective lol.
-Dominance in your weight class. Distancing yourself from the next best wrestler in your weight class. - I think this is a bit disingenuous to not use prior season accomplishments to figure out p4p. I think it applies to weight class rankings, but p4p should definitely be included. It shows the caliber of those you've wrestled. If a wrestler beats a 2x champ and another hasn't beat anyone of that quality, I would lean towards the former. I believe in your picks you may have also.
1 Jax Realin 130 - 15-0 all tech falls or falls. No dec or maj dec.
2 Taydem Uemura 135 - 20-0 all tech falls or falls, except one regular decision
3 Zaira Sugui 155 - 12-0 all tech falls or falls exept 2 dec and 1 maj dec
4 Eloise Woolsey 140 - 18-0 all tech falls or falls. No dec or maj dec.
5 Bethany Chargualef 170 - 18-0 all tech falls or falls except 1 maj dec.
6 Kaitlyn Fong 110 - 8-0 all tech falls or falls except 2 dec
7 Catherine Asami 190 - 13-0 all falls
Jax and Taydem are 2x finalists, so 1 and 2 make sense. Just curious what made you put Sugui over Woolsey. Both have only placed 1x with Woolsey being a champ and Sugui being runner up. Asami is a 2x finalist and 1x champ. Chargualef is a 2x finalist as well. I think Fong and Sugui have had the higheslt of quality in opponents this season though. When all of the wrestlers are virtually identical, I think past should play into it.
1. Jax 2. Asami 3. Woolsey 4. Uemura 5. Chargualef 6. Sugui 7. Fong - but definitely splitting hairs lol. Will look at the guys a bit later. Also, fwiw I beilieve Esera is #1 p4p and I don't believe it's close. I think she will win 190 and would win 235 if she decided to wrestle that instead.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:08 pm

Thanks for starting up the predictions. I'm already looking forward to next week! Here are my predictions:
120: Corpuz (MOA) Vs. LUM (KLN) another rematch. Corpuz won with a late no-call obvious takedown yesterday.
150: Adiniwin (MOA) vs Kohama (KLN), Kohama pinned Hackney a few weeks back, should come in as the 2 seed.
165: Woolsey (KPO) Vs Chun (MOA)/ Virardi (KLN). Chun didn't wrestle easterns, not sure why. Virardi beat Schultz earlier this season.
175: Tanele (CAM) Vs Dela Cruz (AIE). Dela Cruz didn't wrestle westerns, not sure why either.
Nice start, here are couple of places where I differ:
106 - I don't know if Hotema will be able to get past Loughlin in the semis if they meet. He's the only 106 to beat Colt in the tournament. I have Loughlin to win over Kalaukoa, but Hotema and Murillo are REAL threats
120 - I think Kato can definitely throw a wrench into things. He's beaten Corpuz before and will probably be his semi opponent.
126 - I think the top 4 is a toss up. Torres has beaten Gonda. I think this group is interesting, because the 3rd period is most of their enemies lol.
I think Seson beats Gonda and then loses to Corpuz in the finals
144 - Randles making finals is weird to me. He has losses to westside 4th and 6th placers. I'm curious where he will actually get seeded. I have Porter over anyone in the finals. How it gets seeded will be huge in determining it. If Hernandez is allowed to compete I think he will be in the finals against Porter.
215 - It will be interesting to see what Tuikolongahau looks like. He's beaten both Stephen and Sailele, while losing to them as well.

Sponjah1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Sponjah1 »

Campbell winning the west was a little surprising. Some of their guys are on the bubble of making the finals for the OIA. I think Tanele Kato sheldon taboyoyong and baptista are veterans who can get it done.

BroStaff
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BroStaff »

talloola25 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:55 pm
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:08 pm

Nice start, here are couple of places where I differ:
106 - I don't know if Hotema will be able to get past Loughlin in the semis if they meet. He's the only 106 to beat Colt in the tournament. I have Loughlin to win over Kalaukoa, but Hotema and Murillo are REAL threats
120 - I think Kato can definitely throw a wrench into things. He's beaten Corpuz before and will probably be his semi opponent.
126 - I think the top 4 is a toss up. Torres has beaten Gonda. I think this group is interesting, because the 3rd period is most of their enemies lol.
I think Seson beats Gonda and then loses to Corpuz in the finals
144 - Randles making finals is weird to me. He has losses to westside 4th and 6th placers. I'm curious where he will actually get seeded. I have Porter over anyone in the finals. How it gets seeded will be huge in determining it. If Hernandez is allowed to compete I think he will be in the finals against Porter.
215 - It will be interesting to see what Tuikolongahau looks like. He's beaten both Stephen and Sailele, while losing to them as well.
Yes, keep an eye on Kato for sure. Easily beat Corpuz by fall at the ILH/OIA Crossover before he got hurt the next round against Lau, had never lost to Lum until he came back rusty and out of sync at the Farrington round robin, then lost to Corpuz the next week. Defended his title and looked sharp and mobile at the OIA Westerns yesterday. Still might be somewhat of a darkhorse for the OIA crown, but don’t count him out.

808WrestlingFan

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

I hear there is a coaching change at campbell. The team seems excited about it. Might be the spark they needed

OIAwrestling
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAwrestling »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 am I hear there is a coaching change at campbell. The team seems excited about it. Might be the spark they needed
Do you know who they’re planning to bring in?