Conference realignment and what it means to the MWC & UH

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

UCLA & USC BIG10 bound in 2024

Post by BigWave96744 »

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said in a statement that the conference was grateful to the board of regents for respecting UCLA’s decision to make the move. USC and UCLA will officially become members of the Big Ten Conference on Aug. 2, 2024
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers ... r-AA15kfuM

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: UCLA & USC BIG10 bound in 2024

Post by ubercow »

with so much money in college football, I guess regionality no longer needs to be a thing

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

There's a big cultural difference between LA and the Midwest. Michigan had 30 games or more of 100K fans while UCLA stands looked sparsely attended when they were undefeated. It may be a novelty for Midwest teams to play in LA but after a while, I don't think it'll last. LA lost it's NFL franchises due to diminishing attendance as people partly as a result of big city crime at the games. I wonder if this marriage will last.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 am There's a big cultural difference between LA and the Midwest. Michigan had 30 games or more of 100K fans while UCLA stands looked sparsely attended when they were undefeated. It may be a novelty for Midwest teams to play in LA but after a while, I don't think it'll last. LA lost it's NFL franchises due to diminishing attendance as people partly as a result of big city crime at the games. I wonder if this marriage will last.
Not to highjack a thread bbbbuuuttt.....I honestlky think L.A. will end up losing the Rams and Chargers again in about 10 years. BTW, the Chargers were originally based outta LA in 1960 before moving to San Diego.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

USC loses Bowl game to Tulane
UCLA loses bowl game to Pitt
They got 1 year to load up

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:44 pm USC loses Bowl game to Tulane
UCLA loses bowl game to Pitt
They got 1 year to load up
Big XII's newcomers in 2023 didn't do well either at 1-3 in bowls. Plus OU and Texas, future SEC members, lost. OU ended up having their 1st losing season since 1999. :hello1: :bootyshake: I dislike OU almost as much as my now legendary disike for BYU.

BTW, 2 of Mike Leach's 3 former teams won their bowls. Wazzu was the only one that didn't. Mississippi State and Texas Tech did.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

USC and UCLA are awesome teams. They belong in the west.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

USC and UCLA will come back asking to rejoin the PAC-pick a number one day. Texas and Oklahoma probably will wind up trying to get back to whatever the old SWC/current Big12 calls themselves in the future. They have made the move for money, but,based on their records, I don’t see USC,UCLA,Texas,Oklahoma coming into their next conferences like the new sheriff in town. They’ll wind up going back to be the big dog where they came from,or they will stay in their new conference and take the money while their CFP chances get reduced playing in the SEC and Big Ten.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:52 pm USC and UCLA will come back asking to rejoin the PAC-pick a number one day. Texas and Oklahoma probably will wind up trying to get back to whatever the old SWC/current Big12 calls themselves in the future. They have made the move for money, but,based on their records, I don’t see USC,UCLA,Texas,Oklahoma coming into their next conferences like the new sheriff in town. They’ll wind up going back to be the big dog where they came from,or they will stay in their new conference and take the money while their CFP chances get reduced playing in the SEC and Big Ten.
Honestly, I think the PAC-XX will be dead within a few months with the actual death be in 2024 or 2025. The Big Ten and Big XII will gut it. And the MW will get the two leftovers. Hope Hawaii fans like going to Pullman and Corvallis.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

wyokie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:10 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:52 pm USC and UCLA will come back asking to rejoin the PAC-pick a number one day. Texas and Oklahoma probably will wind up trying to get back to whatever the old SWC/current Big12 calls themselves in the future. They have made the move for money, but,based on their records, I don’t see USC,UCLA,Texas,Oklahoma coming into their next conferences like the new sheriff in town. They’ll wind up going back to be the big dog where they came from,or they will stay in their new conference and take the money while their CFP chances get reduced playing in the SEC and Big Ten.
Honestly, I think the PAC-XX will be dead within a few months with the actual death be in 2024 or 2025. The Big Ten and Big XII will gut it. And the MW will get the two leftovers. Hope Hawaii fans like going to Pullman and Corvallis.
Bottom dwellers in the MWC will end up in the ASUN-WAC

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:07 am
wyokie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:10 pm
Bottom dwellers in the MWC will end up in the ASUN-WAC
I doubt the ASUN-WAC football conference merger will actually happen.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Conference realignment and what it means to the MWC & UH

Post by Irse »

If it happens, what happens to the PAC 12? Will they get a decent TV contract after raiding the MW or will they end up folding especially if Ca, Stanford, Oregon and UW goes elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1631782364534939649
ImageImage

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Another realignment?

Post by unpaid »

There is buzz about a ACC-PAC-12 realignment.Makes sense . Big 10 stripped LA Schools USC and UCLA from the PAC12.Pundits are Wondering how long the ACC can hold onto Clemson,FSU,and Miami for football.

As I see it , all of these wannabe National champ schools who have fallen on hard times(Texas, Oklahoma,Florida State , Clemson.etc Should take a hard look at where they are. To me Texas and Oklahoma have already made a mistake. They haven’t dominated the Big12 recently and now the have moved into the SEC . They might not be conference champs this fall which will be their last year in the Big12 .How many SEC teams have been National Champs recently?
I just don’t see Texas and Oklahoma coming into the SEC like gangbusters.

Could FSU, North Carolina , Clemson, Miami get picked off by the Big10 or SEC?

Sure they could. Money talks and the money that SEC and Big 10 can offer eclipses any amount the Big12, Pac12, or ACC can offer their schools.
They might take the money.

Texas,Oklahoma are sort of big dogs even though they haven’t won a lot recently .

With the apparent expansion to the college football playoff expansion coming , I think all of these ACC , PAC12,andBig12 schools should think about staying where they are.

Texas, Oklahoma, USC,and UCLA have moved for the money but what the result going to be? Just look at Local hs football when the Open Division was created.
In the last few years, suddenly Waianae ,Farrington are lightweights.USC and UCLA make a splash in the Big 10 this fall… Trojans lost twice to Utah and UCLA tanked.

I don’t know what the expanded version of the cfp is going to number but I think it will be no less than eight.Do the math. Five Power5 Champs,One Group of 5 champ, and 2 SEC- Big 10 runnerups.

With the college playoff expanding, teams that have a legitimate chance to win where they are should stay where they have been successful.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

My prediction as to what will happen....

Big Ten: gets Oregon, Washington, Stanford and either California OR Notre Dame (could end up getting both somehow)
Big XII: gets Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.
MWC: gets Washington State and Oregon State.

Here's a bone for the basketball lovers....I do think that after the MW gets the leftovers from the PAC-12, Gonzaga will join for all sports except football since they don't have that sport. That move would make Hawaii happy since football independence is a suicide mission unless you're a military school like Army.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

unpaid wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:59 pm I don’t know what the expanded version of the cfp is going to number but I think it will be no less than eight.Do the math. Five Power5 Champs,One Group of 5 champ, and 2 SEC- Big 10 runnerups.

With the college playoff expanding, teams that have a legitimate chance to win where they are should stay where they have been successful.
CFP will expand to 12 in 2024.