RIP Coach Mac

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: RIP Coach Mac

Post by My3Cats »

A good coach. A better man. Rest in peace coach Mac.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My favorite coach.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/02/ ... ckin-dies/ https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1625747552980336641
Jones, who had known McMackin for more than four decades, praised his former defensive coordinator as “a great guy, a great people guy. The players loved him. They played hard for him.”

McMackin hired former UH quarterback Nick Rolovich as quarterbacks coach and Dave Aranda, who was a graduate assistant at Texas Tech when McMackin was the Red Raiders’ defensive coordinator, as defensive line coach. A year later, Rolovich and Aranda were promoted to coordinate UH’s offense and defense.

“I would not be (in this position) without knowing him (and) having him in my life,” said Aranda, Baylor’s head coach, of McMackin. “Coach gave me my first shot at calling plays. He mentored me in calling plays. You don’t take that lightly. He wanted to be a head coach for so long, and he finally gets his shot, and then he’s going to put faith in me. … He made you want to achieve and not let him down.”

Rolovich credited McMackin with leading the program after Jones’ departure following the Sugar Bowl appearance. “Hawaii had just come off the highest of highs, and he was able to keep it together somewhat. He won a conference title (in 2010) at a place that hasn’t done it since.”

McMackin was remembered for his emotional leadership. He broke down during a news conference when he learned a player’s wife was experiencing labor problems. He issued a tearful apology for using a slur to describe Notre Dame’s performance in a dance-off with UH ahead of the 2008 Hawaii Bowl.

Rolovich recalled McMackin as a family man who brought his wife, their daughter, and two grandchildren to practices and football-related events. “He loved his family,” Rolovich said. “His family was always involved. It showed a great lesson for all the young people in the program. I thought that was a good message. That’s appreciated in Hawaii, especially.”

Miano, who served as McMackin’s associate head coach, said the Oregon-reared McMackin “quickly adapted to Hawaii and its culture. … He was everybody’s favorite uncle. We’d go into a movie theater, and he’d buy popcorn for everybody in line. He was that kind of guy. He’d see people, and extend his aloha and generosity. People loved him because he was so gregarious.”

He also found a way to “recycle.” To rally the players, he often feigned anger, then threw an overhead projector or laptop computer. “There were other times when there was an old TV that didn’t work,” Aranda said. “He was throwing a controller into the TV. Whatever it took.”

Aranda added: “Passion. That’s how I would describe him.”

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/IkaikaAthletics/status/1625672991555358720

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/KyleChinen/status/1625752974822879232

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: RIP Coach Mac.

Post by Walkoff Balk »

UH fans like the UH offense. But, the fans love the UH defense when they're dominating.