Late Signing Period

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Late Signing Period

Post by kapakahi »

Woulda liked to see a ready-to-play JC or portal OT (if Hall not signing; to replace last season's top 3 OTs Manning, Hopp & Vanterpool) and a couple of JC or portal TEs (since none signed yet; to replace Phillips, Murray & Borden).
https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1620919409710866433

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Late Signing Period

Post by gpmcconnell »

kapakahi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:51 pm Woulda liked to see a ready-to-play JC or portal OT (if Hall not signing; to replace last season's top 3 OTs Manning, Hopp & Vanterpool) and a couple of JC or portal TEs (since none signed yet; to replace Phillips, Murray & Borden).
https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1620919409710866433
Is Hall definitely not signing with us? I didn’t see him commit anywhere but could have missed it

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Last edited by kapakahi on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Sorry, I see 4 pretty good sized offensive linemen in this class. Is that not enough? I know more would be welcome.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

gpmcconnell wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:05 pm
Is Hall definitely not signing with us? I didn’t see him commit anywhere but could have missed it
Hall signed with UAB.
https://twitter.com/UAB_FB/status/1621198438728876033

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 am
Sorry, I see 4 pretty good sized offensive linemen in this class. Is that not enough? I know more would be welcome.
Atkins should be a plug-n-play OT but the other 3 OT signees are more developmental (down-the-road) guys probably not counted on to play right away this coming 2024 season. Pelling has only played 3 seasons of organized football while Jackson-Carter will be a true frosh out of HS. Also Maugaleo'o is slated to greyshirt so isn't scheduled to join the roster until Spring 2024.

Based on UH's numerous offers to JC OTs (Barajas, Bell, Carter, Clairborne, Iheanachor, Komolafe, Kruize, Moelo, Obobi, Pole, Stanback, Tine, Unamba) and to portal OTs (Fugar, Nnanna, Starck, Wilder), UH obviously was looking for another ready-to-play OT (in addition to Atkins)....and probably still are....now that Hall signed with UAB.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

In addition to another portal or JC OT, I wouldn't be surprised if a TE is brought in.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:51 pm
Woulda liked to see a ready-to-play JC or portal OT (if Hall not signing; to replace last season's top 3 OTs Manning, Hopp & Vanterpool) and a couple of JC or portal TEs (since none signed yet; to replace Phillips, Murray & Borden).
uhwarriors wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:07 am
In addition to another portal or JC OT, I wouldn't be surprised if a TE is brought in.
Definitely thinking that.....more so after reading Tsai's article....

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/02/ ... and-shoot/ https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1622358274308984832
At its base, the run-and-shoot is a four-wide scheme in which routes are chosen depending on the defensive coverage. In many plays, this UH offense will use a tight end in place of one of the receivers. The hope is a tight end, similar to those employed in the NFL, will help the run game with in-the-box blocking or creating mismatches against nickel corners.

The Warriors have five tight ends on the spring roster: Devon Tauaefa, Landon Sims, Greyson Morgan, Kila Kamakawiwo‘ole and Kalani Kamakawiwo‘ole. Tauaefa is a converted wideout. Sims’ father, Travis, was a standout running back on the Warriors’ 1992 Holiday Bowl team. Morgan is recovering from an injury and will not participate in contact drills. The Kamakawiwo‘ole brothers are moving from linebacker. Their father, Kila, is a former UH defensive end.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »