Run N Shoot Is Back

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Run N Shoot Is Back

Post by Shoko »

Now all we need is a QB who can break Timmy's record for most int's in a season.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Shoko wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:50 pm Now all we need is a QB who can break Timmy's record for most int's in a season.
The career INT record is unbreakable. It was the perfect storm of:
  • JJ's addiction to the pass (which I loved);
  • JJ's commitment to riding a local boy QB to the record books and Heisman conversation;
  • Extra long leash to not bench the QB despite INTs;
  • 5 seasons of playing QB; and
  • lack of true mastery of the offense (too much heaving it up and hoping for the best).

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

locomoko wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:51 pm
Shoko wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:50 pm Now all we need is a QB who can break Timmy's record for most int's in a season.
The career INT record is unbreakable. It was the perfect storm of:
  • JJ's addiction to the pass (which I loved);
  • JJ's commitment to riding a local boy QB to the record books and Heisman conversation;
  • Extra long leash to not bench the QB despite INTs;
  • 5 seasons of playing QB; and
  • lack of true mastery of the offense (too much heaving it up and hoping for the best).
TC also had the ballz to try to squeeze the football into tight spaces. Sometimes he hit them and they were spectacular passes/receptions.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Doesn't matter if it's the run and shoot or other type of offense, but Schager or whoever is the starting quarterback, needs to be able to read the WR's route quickly, and anticipate. Last season he waited until the receivers got open before throwing the ball, which gave the defenders the opportunity to close and make a play on the ball, or stop the receivers with little or no YAC.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

TC also had the ballz to try to squeeze the football into tight spaces. Sometimes he hit them and they were spectacular passes/receptions.
Was it really "ballz" or questionable decision-making (regardless of outcome)? The foray into NFL camps was brief; the memories of spectacular passes completed in tight spaces long faded for me; the forever INT record is one I wish UH wasn't saddled with.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:03 pm Doesn't matter if it's the run and shoot or other type of offense, but Schager or whoever is the starting quarterback, needs to be able to read the WR's route quickly, and anticipate. Last season he waited until the receivers got open before throwing the ball, which gave the defenders the opportunity to close and make a play on the ball, or stop the receivers with little or no YAC.
Last year with the limited practice time and young receivers and veteran receivers who never played in the R&S Schager didn't have an option but to wait and see if the receivers were making the right reads. If they aren't on the same page it is an INT. The worse of two evils is the INT not an incompleted pass. We will see how much progress is made during the off season and spring ball. I expect the competition to be fierce and any of the three returning QBs could win the starting job. It is all about how hard they all work and repetition.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

gpmcconnell wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:47 pm
Also confused why they wouldn’t hire Stutz or Brian Smith if they were charging to the Run and Shoot.
As much as I want to see legacy coaches back, I don't think JJ, Rolo, or Stutz and Brian Smith can ever be back with UH.

DM once since there was something about JJ. Wasn't there something about the sexual harassment case, and UH brush under, during the glory days? Rolo sneaked out of town with Stutz and Smith. UH will never allow them to be back. Friends of T-Chang or not.

IIRC Stutz was a receiver coach asking to coach the QB for Rolo. I would think there are plenty of guys that can coach RNS if they believe it in their heart.

With that said, give Shoe a chance. You can teach old dogs new tricks.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:58 am With that said, give Shoe a chance. You can teach old dogs new tricks.
As fans/radio listeners/message board posters, we often hear - the coaches know better ... they do this for a living ... what would it say about the program if the coaches were taking fans' advice.

Well, time after time in new coach hires, fans say that R&S is the one offense that addresses Hawaii's inevitable talent/size/speed deficiencies while providing a competitive, exciting. fan-friendly offensive attack. We might as well include it in the job description. Yet each time, the coach comes in either saying they'll go R&S (but then morph away) or saying they have developed their own advanced attack with R&S elements (but it actually looks like everyone else's offense which doesn't work against superior talent, so they turn to R&S to help themselves climb out of a hole.

As fans many of us have seen more iterations of UH football than even the head coach has been alive. R&S is a must for UH.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yup, Hawaii is stuck on RNS, that it should just be on the job description.

The last successful offense (prior to RNS) was Triple Option. There was no demand for UH to bring the Option back. No one talks about it. No one ask the coaches (when/if they would bring that back.)

BTW, Kenny is not busy. Just saying.

P.S. UH currently have two awesome RBs. The running game was the strength last year. So what now? They are fast, but not big enough for RNS as a blocker. Chang will "incorporate" that. Then that goes back to what they have been doing, hybrid, no name, mixed, blended type of offense. Call it whatever we want.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Yup. The running backs will need to be effective blockers for the RnS to succeed. Little guys can do it, if they have the heart and drive. Michael Brewster proved that and was an awesome blocker.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Forget about Stutz1 he got a new job already under GJ Kinne
Texas State also announced Sam Houston State defensive line coach Mike O’Guin for the same position, Utah Tech offensive coordinator Craig Stutzmann as wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator, and South Florida special teams coordinator and interim head coach Daniel Da Prato as associate head coach and special teams coordinator. Bret Huth also was announced as the strength and conditioning coordinator
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-state- ... 32474.html