ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Run N Shoot Is Back

Post by ulua »

Looks like the Run N Shoot will return next year :hello1: :hello1:
Timmy will now be calling the plays while Shoemaker and Sapolu will assist in game planning

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/01 ... e-comments
For his second season as Hawaii football coach, Timmy Chang is going “all in” with the run-and-shoot offense.

While co-offensive coordinators Ian Shoemaker and Roman Sapolu will assist in crafting the game plan, Chang will take over the play-calling duties.
“The playbook is about 70% done,” Chang said. “It’ll be run-and-shoot. … I want to go to the run-and-shoot because historically we’re good at it. That’s what I know. That’s the offense I’ve been in for a number of years at Saint Louis and the University of Hawaii. That’s what I grew up doing. And we’re really, really good at it on the island.”

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Run N Shoot Is Back

Post by cabanalane »

That's great and what the fans want. T-Chang is not playing. Is that the offense he is "best" at as a coach? Does the RNS fit the coaching staff's style?

*I don't have access to read the full story, so will go by the quotes.

I just hope Chang is not being "pressured" to install the RNS, or "forcing" it on his coaching staff.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

very cool

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

the run and shoot installed during the season improved the warrior's game allowing the defense longer rest and recovery periods on the side lines, increased their chances of scoring and furnished the fans with entertaining football plays. with an opportunity to install the run and shoot during spring and summer practices warrior football should be even more entertaining and fun to watch. February.08 first day of spring practice. go warriors.

invite mouse to talk to the team either in person or via video.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I hope we don't hear the same excuse "It takes 1-2 years to master the RNS"

We cannot wait that long. Especially when QB competition is not high and no experienced JC or transfer QB has signed or seems to be on the radar.

A good QB can adjust.
Dan Robinson succeeded in 1 season

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

We coming.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Good news for sure. I think it would make sense for them to hire someone with deep Run N Shoot experience as a consultant or analyst. Shoemaker isn’t a Run N shoot guy. It won’t happen obviously but would be great to pick Rolos mind.

Also confused why they wouldn’t hire Stutz or Brian Smith if they were charging to the Run and Shoot.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

st808 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:33 am
invite mouse to talk to the team either in person or via video.
Rolo once brought in GOAT Colt Brennan to talk to the team. It was good to give him something to do, but Colt did not have the mojo or fire in his speech and was IMO, going through the motion as a speaker.

I think JJ could be invited back (now that DM is on his way out.)

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Matllin bouncing Just might open the doors to see JJ making a visit to support Timmy and the Bradduhood. Along from Mouse, JJ is a the R&S statesman. Nate Ilaoa is also on staff, but I don't think in a coaching role. He'd still be able to provide valuable input to the receivers and RB's.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

run and shoot relies heavily on the offensive line giving the receivers time to separate and the qb time to get the pass off. three to four seconds of all out pass blocking on every play. that's asking a lot of your offensive linemen. hope chang has enough o line depth to maintain or create advantages on the line of scrimmage. run and shoot will also need a qb that is mobile in moving pockets to buy time for the receivers to separate and that qb needs to pick the right receiver and be accurate. also hope chang has the depth at wr to send them deep on almost every play to keep the middle open and tire out the defenders.

against georgia colt was going for the wrs or the long routes on mostly every play ignoring the short open routes. he got shut down by the penetrating defensive linemen or secondary coverage while chasing the deep play glory. if colt took the open short routes hawaii might have had a chance to keep the ball more and maybe keep the georgia offense on the bench.

anyway, it should be an entertaining year with a mobile accurate qb, an offensive line that can hold blocks or drift well as the pocket shifts and receivers who separate and get some yards after catches. going to need to down the hot dog before the game starts to cheer properly without wearing my food and drink home.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We need speed to go deep to stretch our opponents defense. It will also help our running game which I don’t think that we should abandon. Our backs need to block better or our QB will get killed. Our receivers need to block better too. I remember how well our receivers blocked for each other when JJ was here. We got a lot of rac. Our defense will need to be tough early on in the season because the offense will need extra time to jell. Most of all we will need a solid oline.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I agree with the idea of changing the coaching personnel to fit the run-and-shoot, especially at the WR position. I like the idea that Chang is all in with a TE and calling plays, too . Did Chang coach the TE last season? Does he plan on coaching the TE in the upcoming season? The reason I mention this is that Caleb came from obscurity into making 1st team MWC and the succes of the TE here follows Changs success of coaching TE at Nevada.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

We all know this offense is going to be a hybrid RnS/RPO offense. Not a pure RnS like everyone is talking about on this thread, Timmy wants to keep TE in his offense and that screams spread offenses like Read Option/RPO. So, I would guess that 60% RnS playbook 40% spread offense Read Option/RPO in the playbook. Timmy might even leave in a TE on a RnS play to confuse the defense. I wouldn't overreact that Timmy is installing a pure RnS Offense, there will be RnS concepts but with some twist to confuse the defense.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

So Timmy is going to be calling the plays. :o . I hope that he can manage the game at the same time too. Would not be too bad if he could see the field the way JJ did. But will it lengthen the time it takes to get the plays in? Will there be substitution confusion?
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: