Dave Matlin retiring

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Dave Matlin retiring

Post by BigWave96744 »

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Dave Matlin retiring

Post by kapakahi »

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2023/1 ... une-2.aspx
https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/2023 ... eline.aspx
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/01/ ... -director/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1610734517060513792 https://twitter.com/ESPNHonolulu/status/1610747818821701633 https://twitter.com/StarAdvertiser/status/1610748098325659648 https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1610790815244390403 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1610786656445136896 https://twitter.com/KyleChinen/status/1610833357260337152

Link

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

He did the best he could under the situation and circumstances UH faced at that time. A thankless job, but mahalo to Matlin.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:28 am He did the best he could under the situation and circumstances UH faced at that time. A thankless job, but mahalo to Matlin.
Agree. Unfortunately it is a bad time to be looking for a new AD.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:28 am
He did the best he could under the situation and circumstances UH faced at that time. A thankless job, but mahalo to Matlin.
Dave also had the misfortune of experiencing unfortunate timing to have his 8-year tenure (March 2015 through May 2023) as UH AD virtually coincide with the 8-year administration (December 2014 through December 2022) of Governor Ige (who failed to provide any funding to maintain the Aloha Stadium to the point of forcing its shut-down while also failing to initiate the procurement & contracting process for the development of the new replacement stadium).

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Just like TG, we only know half of the story. If he could only tell-all over beer and sushi. Not an easy job. Thanks Dave.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

I know he got a lot of hate but I really commend the job he did. Definitely was dealt a number of challenges.

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

Well, on the broght side, at least he didn't quit like his predecessor when the job got tough.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

gpmcconnell wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:23 pm I know he got a lot of hate but I really commend the job he did. Definitely was dealt a number of challenges.
He probably had the most challenges that any UH AD had.
ImageImage

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I don't think Matlin got a lot of hate for the day-to-day job he did for UH Athletics, he didn't want to hire June Jones but he reluctantly made a half okole effort to offer JJ that wasn't going to be accepted by anybody in history of coaching. The Matlin immediately told the press that June Jones declined the offer, so he can save face and move on to the hire he really wanted. June was surprised that Matlin did something so Pilau during the offer and to immediately tell the press was extra Pilau. That disingenuous action and handling of a Hawaii Football legendary coach was why he got criticism from fans, boosters, business owners and the media. This was a self-inflected would by Matlin and he knew that he lost a lot of credibility and lost a majority of fans, boosters, business owners and the media support for this disingenuous action.

Matlin is wise to retire and let someone else take over the painful day to day operations and hopefully they can get the fans, boosters, business owners and the media support back that Matlin lost.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:55 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:28 am
Dave also had the misfortune of experiencing unfortunate timing to have his 8-year tenure (March 2015 through May 2023) as UH AD virtually coincide with the 8-year administration (December 2014 through December 2022) of Governor Ige (who failed to provide any funding to maintain the Aloha Stadium to the point of forcing its shut-down while also failing to initiate the procurement & contracting process for the development of the new replacement stadium).
Looks like retirement is like death since ppl are being forgiving with their recollection. "Fat Cat Matlin" was incompetent in many ways & didn't action anything strategic. Actually, he and Ige are quite similar.

Remember he hired TG after the debacle at ASU. TG literally ran the FB program into the ground. There's no sports at UH without FB. Remember that key reality.

He also botched the hiring of JJ (the most decorated UH coach and people's champ). Such a lack of foresight, leadership and decorm. The Aloha Stadium scenario speaks for itself - huge lack of proactiveness and leadership.

IMO, ppl need to stop with the leis and saying aloha at retirement announcements if someone never embraced or shared the aloha spirit. Wearing aloha shirts (a symbol of colonialism), doesn't constitute an aloha spirit.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Matlin is not responsible for the state of Hawaiian football. Well...scheduling so many pay-day/sure-beat-down opponents may have weighed things down a-bit. Not backing/supporting TG through the pandemic/portal dilemma was a problem.

Hiring TG was not a mistake. The man coached many successful programs including one (Tulsa) that cost Hawaii's most successful collegiate coach, Greg McMackin, his job.

I'm sorry. Nobody wants/wanted to hire June Jones. Nobody wanted to hire coach Tomey either, other than Hawaii, when the suits hired him to 'support' McMackin. The decision to hire Jones as a mentor was a similar mistake that was aborted by Jones himself.

The stadium was a mistake from the very beginning...much like Blaisdell Arena. Well, maybe more-so. Designed to rust...wtf?!!!

How much did Matlin add to the program? Not much. He administered fairly well.

Aloha, Matt.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:59 am
The stadium was a mistake from the very beginning...much like Blaisdell Arena. Well, maybe more-so. Designed to rust...wtf?!!!
Going OT. Just wondering how the Blaisdell Arena can be looped in with Aloha Stadium as "a mistake from the very beginning."

I thought the Blaisdell was great. The arena, concert hall, exhibition area, for decades. What is or was the issue? Other than being old today.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:27 am
SundayJam wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:59 am
Going OT. Just wondering how the Blaisdell Arena can be looped in with Aloha Stadium as "a mistake from the very beginning."

I thought the Blaisdell was great. The arena, concert hall, exhibition area, for decades. What is or was the issue? Other than being old today.
I guess Blaisdell was an attempt to do all...jack of all trades, master of none. I understand that renovation plans are underway. I'll admit, I only experienced the arena a few times.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The other spin that has been offered up by the folks that didn't want June Jones hired like Pilau Dan was that June Jones went on a media rampage to get support for the job in 2021. Pilau Dan and the morons act like this was a brand-new behavior for June Jones and other coaches that get asked by the media about a potential job.

Fact check:

In 2015, before Rolo got the job June Jones went on multiple media interviews and even went on Leahy and Leahy twice. Once to let the folks know he was interested in building back that special place he loves in Hawaii and UH Football. He would do it for free and many other selling points only he could bring with him. I recall posting about this in the past, but I cannot find it and they already took down that video which is odd? The second time he went on Leahy and Leahy was to congratulate Rolo on getting the job and say he was disappointed not to get the job but will support Hawaii until the end.

So this Pilau Dan and the moron crew stating that June Jones went on a media rampage just because of them this time was ignorant spiteful rhetoric that showed their mal intentions during this whole debacle. The media will cover June Jones in Hawaii every time he is coaching in Hawaii for whatever reason.

Then after this farce of a job offer by Mutlin, he goes and immediately spills the beans to get the word out to say look everyone June turned down the job... June Jones got caught by surprise by this snake oil salesman. And what was he supposed to do when the media asks him WTF happened? We thought this was a done deal? He had to tell them what terms where being offered and he thought his agent was going to talk some sense into Mutlin pig headed okole acting like Norm Chow reborn!

I'm not going to rehash Pilau Dan the public affairs disaster that subsequently followed that Mutlin disingenuous actions. But they are very fortunate June Jones loves Hawaii and UH, because I Pilau Dan made so many Public Affairs blunders that could have been legal trouble for UH. I still don't understand how he still has a job at UH. Then the carefully proctored press conference with Mutlin after that showed that UH knew they were in a bad place legally.

And we must remember that this is a what have you done for me lately world of social media and instant gratification?

And the last 2 things Matlin will be remembered for is hiring Todd Graham and throwing a Hawaii Legendary coach under the bus and running June Jones over, then backing up the bus over June for good measure.

P.S. Matlin will also be remembered for losing a huge chunk of fans, boosters, business owners that were willing to open up their wallets for June Jones. I guess lucky only get 9000 seats at TC Ching so we could never see how empty the 50,000 seats Aloha Stadium would have been after that debacle.