2021 (Redshirt):

Member of the scout team.

2020:

Member of the scout team.
Did not appear in any games.
Earned academic all-MW honors.
A Mountain West Scholar-Athlete.

Prep:

A 2019 graduate of Notre Dame Preparatory in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Accounted for more than 3,500 yards and 43 touchdowns while completing 68 percent of his passes as a senior.
Named to the Arizona All-America first team.
Also an all-region first-team selection and a 2018 scholar athlete.
Led Notre Dame Prep to back-to-back region titles and a pair of appearances in the state championship game, including a 13-1 record in 2018.
Also lettered in basketball.
A member of the National Honor Society and graduated cum laude.
Spent 2019 fall semester at East Coast Prep, a post-graduate school in Great Barrington, Mass.
I wouldn't write Jake Farrell off. He seems pretty competitive.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Hawaii QB1 &2 (1999-Current)

Post by cabanalane »

I do understand that my reply on Jake Farrell could be interpreted as negative comment. It's actually positive in that he may have a longer football career (as a coach). I use Kenny Niumatalolo as an example. He had the headset on all the time with Paul Johnson running the show. He never got to play. Gabriel got all the snaps. OK, Kenny got a few token snaps before graduation or when Gabriel needed to go out for 1 play because of a mean hit. Niumatalolo is the greatest coach in UH football alumn history. Farrell could be that guy too.

A few years from now, who would you want for your GA, to work with QBs. Someone like Cole McDonald who actually played and even at the pro level? Or Jake Farrell who has the perspective of the coaches.

Of course, everyone get chance. But I think UH QB bullpen is pretty loaded.

Sort of like the backup plan. If you know you mostly likely not going to play at the next level, maybe the players should try to focus more in the classroom for the free education. Maybe even graduate school, as it could pay off big in their future, and their knees don't hurt at age 40.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:33 am I do understand that my reply on Jake Farrell could be interpreted as negative comment. It's actually positive in that he may have a longer football career (as a coach). I use Kenny Niumatalolo as an example. He had the headset on all the time with Paul Johnson running the show. He never got to play. Gabriel got all the snaps. OK, Kenny got a few token snaps before graduation or when Gabriel needed to go out for 1 play because of a mean hit. Niumatalolo is the greatest coach in UH football alumn history. Farrell could be that guy too.

A few years from now, who would you want for your GA, to work with QBs. Someone like Cole McDonald who actually played and even at the pro level? Or Jake Farrell who has the perspective of the coaches.

Sort of like the backup plan. If you know you mostly likely not going to play at the next level, maybe the players should try to focus more in the classroom for the free education. Maybe even graduate school, as it could pay off big in their future, and their knees don't hurt at age 40.
I could agree with a lot of what you've said but I think June is the best coach in UH alumn history.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:33 am I do understand that my reply on Jake Farrell could be interpreted as negative comment. It's actually positive in that he may have a longer football career (as a coach). I use Kenny Niumatalolo as an example. He had the headset on all the time with Paul Johnson running the show. He never got to play. Gabriel got all the snaps. OK, Kenny got a few token snaps before graduation or when Gabriel needed to go out for 1 play because of a mean hit. Niumatalolo is the greatest coach in UH football alumn history. Farrell could be that guy too.

I did not take your post as being negative. After reading your post, I had to look up the man and was amazed by his potential. If that potential is coaching, so be it. However, why wouldn't you want this QB to contend? I see him as more of a Steele Jantz or Jason Whieldon type quarterback. Dan Robinson...maybe?

Ken looks to be a different type of player. Apparently, he played every game during his time at Hawaii. He just didn't contribute much.
Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
1986 Hawaii WAC QB 12 4 -3 -0.8 0 4 -3 -0.8 0
1987 Hawaii WAC QB 12 37 198 5.4 0 37 198 5.4 0
1989 Hawaii WAC QB 12 43 172 4.0 1 43 172 4.0 1

CareerHawaii 84 367 4.4 1 84 367 4.4 1

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:11 pm
I could agree with a lot of what you've said but I think June is the best coach in UH alumn history.
That's right. My mistake, JJ did play for UH. Sorry.

JJ's playing days was before my time. How does history remember him as a player? Was he a "good" QB? Was he the starting QB at UH, or 2 or 3 on the depth chart?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:10 am
Irse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:11 pm
That's right. My mistake, JJ did play for UH. Sorry.

JJ's playing days was before my time. How does history remember him as a player? Was he a "good" QB? Was he the starting QB at UH, or 2 or 3 on the depth chart?
I have a friend who was on the UH team with JJ. He said that JJ was clearly the best QB, but the then coach succumbed to pressure and played the local boy QB. JJ transferred to Portland State to play for Coach Mouse Davis, put up some big numbers, and the rest is history. And that UH coach was out soon thereafter which opened the door to the Coach Dick Tomey Era here.

It seems like there were a lot of winners from that situation. The local boy QB likely benefitted from being UH QB in his eventual dental practice, the former UH coach became a long time radio co-host whose morning show dominated ratings for years, Coach Tomey brought excitement, made UH competitive in a major college schedule, eased the transition into the WAC and filled Aloha Stadium, JJ went on to play in the NFL and coach in the NFL and college, and Coach Davis found his trigger man and fame with his version of the run and shoot.

Sorry for going overboard, but there were silver linings everywhere with the lesson being to not get down and dust yourself off when you have a setback.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

JJ was a backup QB in the era of the Hula T!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Nice, Duster. Mahalo.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

QB1
13 Brayden Schager QB 6-3 225 Jr. Dallas, Texas / Highland Park HS

QB 2 ???? This is what we have in case QB1 goes down

5 Jake Farrell QB 6-5 225 Jr. Scottsdale, Ariz. / East Coast Prep ---- Career Stats 0 games played in 3 years at UH

6 Jonah Chong QB 6-0 180 Jr. Kahalu'u O'ahu / 'Iolani School Nevada ---- Career Stats 0 games played in 3 years at Nevada

16 John-Keawe Sagapolutele QB 6-1 200 Fr. 'Ewa Beach, O'ahu / Punahou School --- True Freshman

18 Joey Yellen QB 6-3 210 Sr. Mission Viejo, Calif / Mission Viejo HS Pittsburgh --- Last season at UH, played in 4 games, 238 yards passing, 0 TD, 1 INT, -32 yards rushing

19 Dalen Morris QB 6-1 205 Gr. Hunstville, Ala. / Navy --- Attended the Naval Academy for five years, playing three seasons. Played in 13 games, passed for 579 yards, 3 TD. Rushed for 46 yards and 2 TD

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

QB2?
I'm pulling for John Keawe.

The kolohe side of me wants Chong who plays for Chang at Ching. But with no prior stats or game experience, it will be a tall order. I'm always open to a Bryant Moniz-like ascension of a local boy who seemingly comes out of nowhere. Although he is not a local boy, same for Farrell, no game experience. Hard to make a call on him.

Yellen is tall and certainly a candidate for the all-neck team. But I have never been a fan of the ball he threw. Perhaps he changes my mind this year.

As for Keawe-Sagapoutele, if he's ready, play him.

In summary, we have no QB 2 at the moment.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:28 pm QB2?
I'm pulling for John Keawe.

The kolohe side of me wants Chong who plays for Chang at Ching. But with no prior stats or game experience, it will be a tall order. I'm always open to a Bryant Moniz-like ascension of a local boy who seemingly comes out of nowhere. Although he is not a local boy, same for Farrell, no game experience. Hard to make a call on him.

Yellen is tall and certainly a candidate for the all-neck team. But I have never been a fan of the ball he threw. Perhaps he changes my mind this year.

As for Keawe-Sagapoutele, if he's ready, play him.

In summary, we have no QB 2 at the moment.
Hard to find a Bryant Moniz type QB on this team as he didn't really come out-of no where.

Per UH Media
Prior To UH: Attended Fresno City College in California for one year...team’s starting quarterback as a freshman in 2007...threw for 2,268 yards and 18 touchdowns during his freshman season....also rushed for two touchdowns...

That better the 5 backups combined.
I don't hear a peep about the Navy QB. It's Yellen then Farrell.

If we ever reach the point of 7 loses early on, I would like to see Sagapolutele getting PT rather than Redshirt.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

After summer camp:
Will the summer turned out to be a "Cruel Summer" or "The Summer I Turned Pretty?"

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Yes, it would be hard to find a Bryant Moniz type QB on this team, because they aren't JC transfer--walk-ons. Most of them also don't seem to be vertically challenged. 2010 was a special year for Hawaii and Moniz.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

This may come out wrong, UH had many great QBs similar to GOAT CB15. Bryant Moniz will never be in the same conversation on "best" QB in UH's history, but his play was special, the games were special. And I don't think there will be another guy like him.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

I find it interesting that the QB Guru Norm Chow chose the wrong QB to start the season, almost every year. Awesome list Bigwave!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"