How Is Chang Going To Get This Train Back On Track?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Right now Chang’s team is a trainwreck. The Warriors are not only losing on the scoreboard.
But also with the fanbase, students, recruits, especially those that have signed and ran away,
and current and future players entering the transfer portal or either quitting.

You can also add in the morale and spirit of the players, for it looks like after watching
the Fresno game they’re going thru the motions. There are a few players that play
with passion but not many. There are more slumping shoulders on the players (and should
I add assistants), now, and players thinking of where their next pizza is coming from.

If Graham was a train wreck and had a winning record what is Chang’s disposition?

The truthful answer is not any better.

There’s no direction on the stadium or leadership at the school or governmental level.

In other words, there’s no support.

Add in the fact that Chang’s staff is led by toy soldiers at his OC, DC, and position coaches
… there is less optimism ahead.

When Chang came aboard there was a feeling of kumbaya.

Yes, I applauded, but there’s so much of this artificial sunshine a person can take.

Yet the loyalist will say otherwise. Give Chang a chance, have patience.

But how can I when I have been suckered punched by Chow?

Didn’t you think I had patience then?

So what is Chang’s recourse?

Does he need to shake the tree? Yes. Do something. Yes.

He needs to make a big statement to the stockholders, and fans that have equity in the

program and to future recruits and current players. This should be mandated.

What it comes down to is that he needs to do a complete makeover of his staff to give
this program direction and hope. That’s what they do in the real world.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: How Is Chang Going To Get This Train Back On Track?

Post by EITSwarrior »

I would put this discussion on the back burner. Save for after the season.

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

I don't know, man. I look at the rest of the conference and they are not exactly faring well, either. This whole conference, to me, is a train wreck. Heck, we look like the Sunbelt back in the day and the Sunbelt now looks like the MWC...lol.

I do think one of the reasons why Timmy has problems is because he was experimenting with his QB coming out of camp. Same thing with Nevada's QB issues, too. Should have picked one and let him roll. QB carousels rarely work. We saw that during the Chow years...

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Problem with the two man QB carousel was because neither of those guys separated himself in practices and it took some real games to show who could play better? TC initially chose Yellen, but Yellen did not produce or show improvement when he was the starter. TC then rolled with Schager, who is slightly better but not the future.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

New OC next year. Other coaches report to Shoe, but it got to start at the top, even if Shoe is not the guy playing the game. Sometimes you got to let go of someone just because it was under their watch.

As much as I was excited with the RNS, and understand that's the identity of UH football, I just want to see an offense in sync. I have no confidence that UH can match down the field. It's one big play, 3 and out, then punt. Or failed on convert on 4th down or FG.

Install any offense, even Bo Graham's offense is better at this time. At least they can put up points, win some games, and get chance.

After two years, then it would be time to talk about "buyout" of T-Chang's contract. Sorry. Gotta say it. Hawaii fans are not going to wait 4 years.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

fire shoemaker and hire stutzman.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

anykine wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:58 am fire shoemaker and hire stutzman.
1. What is Rolo's Team doing now? Stutz and Smith? Have they been fishing all this time. Lot's of good fishing spots in Washington.

2. How does Hawaii fell about Stutz and Smith? They sneaked out with Rolo. Both or one of them could have stayed in Hawaii to angle for that HC job after Rolo, but they chose to leave Hawaii. One could think there must be something else, more...or they are super loyal to Rolo to follow him wherever. We don't know if UH would want them back, but how do fans feel about Stutz and Smith?

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

they all been hiding out until the covid restrictions go away. nevada should hire rolo as hc.smith will follow rolo.we get stutz and run and shoot returns.you already know cuz.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

How is coach Chang going to get this train/team back on track? That is simple, recruit and retain talent. We don't need 4 or 5-star guys, hell they don't all need to be 3-star recruits. You look at the 2018 recruiting class and you see a lot of talented players that were not highly recruited, that turned into really good players, and helped UH go to three straight bowl games. To win you need talent, and right now we don't have much of it right now.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

TC only got the job shortly before signing day early this year. Some of the previous regime's recruits flaked out (and rightfully so) of their verbal commitments, but some remained loyal and signed their LOI. You can't call that a recruiting class by TC since he didn't even get to complete his coaching staff in time. This go-round should give us all a clearer picture of the staff's recruiting abilities. But it doesn't help in this day of NLI and a tinker toy stadium as recruiting obstacles.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

anykine wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 pm they all been hiding out until the covid restrictions go away. nevada should hire rolo as hc.smith will follow rolo.we get stutz and run and shoot returns.you already know cuz.
Are people that "hard core" about COVID restrictions? We already went over that, so that's really not my question.

Rolo and Company made their point. Time to move on, and get back to work. They have a skillset that is needed, and they money is good. Sure, we all love to sit at home, but I would think football coaches are a different breed. They would feel sick if they don't have football in their lives.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:22 am
anykine wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:40 pm they all been hiding out until the covid restrictions go away. nevada should hire rolo as hc.smith will follow rolo.we get stutz and run and shoot returns.you already know cuz.
Are people that "hard core" about COVID restrictions? We already went over that, so that's really not my question.

Rolo and Company made their point. Time to move on, and get back to work. They have a skillset that is needed, and they money is good. Sure, we all love to sit at home, but I would think football coaches are a different breed. They would feel sick if they don't have football in their lives.
covid is over.they will be back coaching next year.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Sorry, I'm just not seeing it with Chang.

I feel Mufi's train will leave Chang's in the dust.

Five years or sooner the rail will be speeding along.

While Chang will be looking for a job.

The new stadium will have died before it was born.

The fans will have cheered less, received less, and angered more

... and watched their Warrior train fall off the tracks.

This first season of Chang quotes has been redundant.

The same song and dance I heard from game one to date has been a

broken record, literally.

Chang will say we need to do this, that, and it and not improve on any.

From game one to date the team looks like their in a Halloween spell.

Chang, the Warrior's hometown boy, looks the worse.

I'll be honest I've lost my passion this season.

Yet I didn't feel this upset with Graham and Bo as I do with Chang.

The won-loss record is one thing.

But when there is an absence of the HC Sunday Show, Monday QB Club, Call the Coach Show, post-game

shows and in-house USU game day thread (I guess others have lost their passion, too) it begins to take its

toll on a person. Sorry, it's just not the same anymore. Go Mufi.

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

I don't know, man. Some of the stuff in the OP is right on and Chang will need to come up with a plan. But as far as players quitting or having a bad attitude, it's not really translating on the field. With the obvious exception of the Fresno game, UH is competing in most of these games. UH has covered the spread almost every week lately. That shows they players are not quitting and are playing hard for TC. The other stuff he can figure out or at least deserves a season or two. A big part of the problem for the fan base has been unrealistic expectations. The hard truth is that most of the players left on the team are not that good. This was always going to be a 3 win ceiling team this season. Hopefully the next few years will be better.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I thought when they picked Chow it was a good choice. He proved to be a good OC but not a HC.
When they picked Rolo and Graham, they were good choices.
When they picked TC, I thought he was just too green. My interest level went down a lot in January.

Now, moving forward, TC needs to network and go to coaches clinics in Florida and other states and meet with other college coaches and high school coaches to recruit and set up relationships with other HCs. He also needs to go to Samoa, Australia and New Zealand and possibly learn Samoan before going down there. Since he was a QB, he needs to hold a QB clinic somewhere to promote goodwill for the team. The OL will be decimated next year so he can't think about how they almost won against SDSU or USU because those teams were just toying with UH. In other words, he needs to be planning for next year and making sure the last two games of the season are respectable. Losing sleep in Hawaii is just not going to cut it.