Hawaii Recruiting next 2 years (or more)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Hawaii Recruiting next 2 years (or more)

Post by BigWave96744 »

With the revised transfer rules, transfer portal and NIL payouts, I really think Hawaii needs to recruit mainly quality JC and D1 Transfers with 2 or more eligible seasons.

The risk of losing quality HS recruits after years 1-3 is highly likely to happen every year. Some of the guys who left UH supposedly because of the prior coach, could have reneged on their verbal and returned to play for coach Chang but they chose to seek greener pastures.

UNLV and SJSU who used to be the doormats of the WAC & MWC are now contenders due to all their transfers. Also surprise schools are breaking down the parity in Power5 conferences due to quality Transfers. Power5 Championship contenders are getting stronger due to Quality Transfers.

Yes we had walkons make it to the NFL and have under sized guys with big hearts crack the starting lineup, but these type of players shouldn't be the base for a recruiting class.

Hawaii cannot wait 3 or more years to become bowl Eligible and this next recruiting class will need to be able to come in and prepare to be starters in 2023. Braddahhood shouldn't mean only recruit or play local boys. Some of our best players in UH history were from outside Hawaii or Transfers.

How you figgah?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Hawaii Recruiting next 2 years (or more)

Post by unpaid »

I figgah like this,

You are right.

I’ve posted this before in years past on the UH football thread. If UH wants to be a national FBS power , then they are going to have to recruit players from all over the USA like Ohio State ,Alabama,Georgia, Clemson, etc do. Hawaii has a small population base. Every once in a while , you will see a local 5star recruit like Manti Teo, and most years recently you will get at best 2 to 5 Four star recruits coming up in local high schools. I don’t think any of these players have committed to UH. Just the way it is.

Seen a lot of hate on these kids who went to the mainland. Don’t hate. They are doing what they think is best for them and their families.

Point is,your best talent is going mainland for college. UH is getting some local three-star kids and that is cool. They see a fit at Manoa. UH has gotten some other 3-star from the mainland ,and that seems to be the ceiling for UH, they can get 3-Stars but not blue-chippers.The teams that are winning FBS championships the last ten years are stocked with 5 and 4 star recruits. Has Hawaii had any 5 or 4 star recruits in the last ten years. Is it likely that they are going to attract any of them at all? Don’t think so.

Bottom line . If you just have to Have Hawaii win FBS championship, then they are gonna have to be like Nebraska or Oklahoma back in the 70’s to early 90’s and raid talent from other states while getting the best you can from your local talent pool.

IF you can shock the world with a few 3-stars and mostly 2stars and non-ranked players then…you might be like Appalachian State. You can take down some major Power-Five teams every so often and really compete in FCS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like the idea of trying to fill the team with JC players. They are "proven" with some track record (on and off the field). And most probably got something to prove. I agree that's perhaps the fastest way to build, as they should know what they are doing.

T-Chang, or any HC does not have to luxury to "develop" young talents. Fans will start chanting "fire...XXXXX" after two years.

C. Bird and J. Ward are recent examples. Came in and instantly WR1 and WR2. IMO, they then made guys like Sharsh look good, better than he really was. Soon the QB had lots of options. Right now, QB1 does not have much to select from.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave figgahs right IMHO. With the current state of the portal and NIL, recruiting quality high school players becomes even tougher than before because now retention becomes the issue. But still no guarantees with the portal transfers in and JC recruits, but at least might have better chance with retention if they can produce immediately.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Going to be very rare for losing teams to keep star high school recruits on their roster for 4-5 years.

Got to be realist to notice mid-majors are now what FCS schools were (feeders for bigger schools or home to transfers wanting to play)

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:19 am Going to be very rare for losing teams to keep star high school recruits on their roster for 4-5 years.

Got to be realist to notice mid-majors are now what FCS schools were (feeders for bigger schools or home to transfers wanting to play)
The Coaching staff under Timmy, with the development and eventual success of the Braddahhood, will hopefully see more opportunities recruiting Hawaii grown players who decided to go to the mainland only to sit on the sidelines, not seeing the field and wanting to come home.

As Hawaii sees more success over the next few years, we’ll also see more Hawaii players deciding to stay at home and representing the State of Hawaii, playing in front of family and friends.

The pride of playing for the Braddahhood and representing the State of Hawaii will become a proud tradition again soon.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

What I see is that the Warriors are signing quite a few players from the transfer portal that are coming from Power 5 schools that have high ratings and stars but have very limited playing experience at their former school and turn out to be bust/waste. Wouldn't the wise approach for the Warriors-is to look at the talent at the FCS schools, players that all league types ... players that are active instead ones/FBS types that have been on sitting on the bench at their former schools. Last year's 20 players from the FCS got drafted, so there's some untapped potential for the coaching staff to look at.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Would be nice if UH could get some island physical specimens like this..... https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/status/1589282680067309568

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Dedrick (transfer from FCS Howard University) & Zion (JC transfer from Long Beach City College; also an Air Force bounceback like Tylan Hines) are the type of high character players who already experienced struggles through the FCS and/or JC ranks that hopefully get recruited to UH. https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1593375820533313536 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1593719490725834752

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Should be an interesting recruiting season for us. All Big names from Hawai’i high schools prolly not coming to UH. All good. Hopefully coach Chang and the Bradduhood is building a place where people would want to be a part of. So many areas on the team will need attention. But if there is an accurate JUCO QB that we simply can’t pass up, I say we go get him.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:18 pm If there is an accurate JUCO QB that we simply can’t pass up, I say we go get him.
I think we need to recruit 2 JC or Portal Transfer to challenge Schager next spring for QB1 & 2. I don't feel good about relying on a true freshman or any other returning QBs.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 am
bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:18 pm If there is an accurate JUCO QB that we simply can’t pass up, I say we go get him.
I think we need to recruit 2 JC or Portal Transfer to challenge Schager next spring for QB1 & 2. I don't feel good about relying on a true freshman or any other returning QBs.
I was hoping for 1 JC and 1 hs and maybe 1 portal. Didn't do all that well with the portal last year at the QB position.

Hope we're JC heavy this year at our other need positions.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

According to the SA, coaches are hoping Joey Yellen can further his development at No. 2

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 am According to the SA, coaches are hoping Joey Yellen can further his development at No. 2
More competition will help everybody.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:54 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:30 am According to the SA, coaches are hoping Joey Yellen can further his development at No. 2
More competition will help everybody.
Would be great to add someone like a JT Daniels. Need some more talent in the QB room.

Biggest key for the off-season to me is making sure Hines stays. He was our best offensive player.