Hawaii Recruiting next 2 years (or more)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Re: Hawaii Recruiting next 2 years (or more)

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

My Christmas wish is a JC Dual Threat QB and a HS Dual Threat QB and bring Stuzman back home to run the Offense.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

gpmcconnell wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:14 pm Would be great to add someone like a JT Daniels. Need some more talent in the QB room.
I'd much rather try to find the next Bryant Moniz than the next Max Wittek.
JT Daniels has now lost starting jobs at three different schools - something's not right there.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:22 am I like the idea of trying to fill the team with JC players. They are "proven" with some track record (on and off the field). And most probably got something to prove. I agree that's perhaps the fastest way to build, as they should know what they are doing.

T-Chang, or any HC does not have to luxury to "develop" young talents. Fans will start chanting "fire...XXXXX" after two years.

C. Bird and J. Ward are recent examples. Came in and instantly WR1 and WR2. IMO, they then made guys like Sharsh look good, better than he really was. Soon the QB had lots of options. Right now, QB1 does not have much to select from.
I agree, Hawaii Football best years have been with a roster loaded with JC and transfers and sprinkled in with high school recruits to learn from the hungrier and experienced JC, transfers and upperclassmen. Now with the transfer portal, Hawaii will have to get back to JC and transfer heavy roster by default.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

locomoko wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:16 am
gpmcconnell wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:14 pm Would be great to add someone like a JT Daniels. Need some more talent in the QB room.
I'd much rather try to find the next Bryant Moniz than the next Max Wittek.
JT Daniels has now lost starting jobs at three different schools - something's not right there.
Easy...there. Moniz happened to be in the right place at the right time. Moniz was a walk-on. The team had the guidance of two CFB National Championship coaches. No other coaching staff for Hawaii has had so many elite coaches. For whatever reason, Hawaii hated the coaches but loved the prodigy. I wonder why?

A couple of mainland reject players for Hawaii that I have liked in the same time frame are Colt Brennan and Greg Alexander.

Hawaii has produced many titans at QB over the years...but they don't like to play at Hawaii. Milton, Tangavailoa, Mariota, and the likes, rocked both the NFL and cfb. If you're a talent at QB, you're not staying home.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I think we can agree that it would be great to find another Bryant Moniz rather than another Max W. Bryant went from walk on to starter because the bradduh has/had skills. Although he was not known for the long ball, he could make all the throws. Most importantly, he'd check down and break off a 35 yard scamper when he needed to. Funny thing is, Moniz' game is very much the football we see today. We need another Moniz, not another Whittek.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

What made a good QB at Hawaii was determined by the system, the talent around him and the experienced the players had in the system. Every great QB at Hawaii had at least two years of experience in a specific system. No QB that I recall was great in his first year. There weren't too many receivers that came in and made an immediate impact their first year in the R&S. It takes repetition. None of our QBs had any experience in the R&S. It will be interesting to see how much progress Schager, Yellen and the receivers make during the off season. Yes, Yellen could surprise if he picks up the R&S.

No QB joining the team will make an impact if he has no R&S experience.

I see a good blend of the R&S and Shoe's offense. The R&S passing game and the current running game. The traditional R&S wasn't called the Run and Shoot for no reason. When we had the right running backs (Ilaoa, Green) is when we were multi-dimensional and very dangerous. The current stable of running backs will make us very dangerous if the QBs and WRs can get on the same page. Our backs need to be multi-dimensional and the are; speed to beat LBs one-on-one and able to catch passes. Big backs can be effective against average teams and under the right situations but they limit the offense; they can't beat you with speed, too predictable.

There isn't anything that says you can't have a TE in the slot. Having a TE in the R&S running R&S patterns gives us a big body that can beat safties and LBs and provide blocking in the running game. I'd prefer a 6'3 TE that can catch the ball with size against a safety and speed against a LB over a 5'8" slot that can't get in his route against a 6' safety. For all intents and purposes Salas was a bigger slot.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am What made a good QB at Hawaii was determined by the system, the talent around him and the experienced the players had in the system. Every great QB at Hawaii had at least two years of experience in a specific system. No QB that I recall was great in his first year. There weren't too many receivers that came in and made an immediate impact their first year in the R&S. It takes repetition. None of our QBs had any experience in the R&S. It will be interesting to see how much progress Schager, Yellen and the receivers make during the off season. Yes, Yellen could surprise if he picks up the R&S.

I see a good blend of the R&S and Shoe's offense. The R&S passing game and the current running game. The traditional R&S wasn't called the Run and Shoot for no reason. When we had the right running backs (Ilaoa, Green) is when we were multi-dimensional and very dangerous. The current stable of running backs will make us very dangerous if the QBs and WRs can get on the same page. Our backs need to be multi-dimensional and the are; speed to beat LBs one-on-one and able to catch passes. Big backs can be effective against average teams and under the right situations but they limit the offense; they can't beat you with speed, too predictable.

There isn't anything that says you can't have a TE in the slot. Having a TE in the R&S running R&S patterns gives us a big body that can beat safties and LBs and provide blocking in the running game. I'd prefer a 6'3 TE that can catch the ball with size against a safety and speed against a LB over a 5'8" slot that can't get in his route against a 6' safety. For all intents and purposes Salas was a bigger slot.
Maybe he wasn't great but he became very good in his first year in the RnS and took UH to a bowl game - Dan Robinson.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I liked Dan Robinson. He passed a lot for a lot of yards. Good is in the eyes of the beholder. In 1998 Dan’s passing percentage was 46% with 11 TDS and 12 INTs. In 99 his passing percentage was 51.8% with 28 TDS and 18 INTs. I didn’t look up who we played.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/BigGameBoomer/status/1703232797429711236

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

North Texas and Texas State could be case studies in handling the portal era

North Texas Mean Green head coach Eric Morris and Texas State Bobcats head coach GJ Kinne each took vastly different approaches to roster construction in their first year at the program. Now Texas State has a buzz ahead of its home opener while North Texas is statistically the worst defense in football.
https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... view_title

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Transfer portal realities:

1. Better players are transferring up to better teams and transferring for NIL. UH is not an option.

2. Better players transferring laterally are transferring for NIL and playing time. UH is not an option. We have offered many other players and lost to other schools. We've tried. Cam Stone was an exception.

3. Players transferring down are looking for playing time and visibility. Most only have 1-2 years to play. The stats show that these players are opting for schools closer to their home state to play in front of family and friends. Example a GOOD California player that went to play at Alabama, Illinois or Colorado and isn't hacking it there are going to go to a California school; SDSU, San Jose State, Fresno State and even UNLV. UH is geographically undesirable. And if you are a skill player it will take you a minimum of one year just to learn the R&S.

JC reality

1. It is possible and we have had success with undersized WRs. It is still difficult because again a JC QB and WR would have to invest at least a year to learn the R&S. How many JC QBs with two years of eligibility have we recruited that have been successful in the R&S?

2. There have been exceptions but name the JC recruits that were not WRs or undersized DBs that have been successful starters at UH? There aren't many. OL? DL? LB?

Our best options are to focus:

1. On Hawaii players in the portal that want to come home.

2. JC wide receivers that want to play for an explosive offense.

3. HS players that are being over looked by bigger schools because they are undersized and don't meet the measureables.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:59 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 am
bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:18 pm If there is an accurate JUCO QB that we simply can’t pass up, I say we go get him.
I think we need to recruit 2 JC or Portal Transfer to challenge Schager next spring for QB1 & 2. I don't feel good about relying on a true freshman or any other returning QBs.
I was hoping for 1 JC and 1 hs and maybe 1 portal. Didn't do all that well with the portal last year at the QB position.

Hope we're JC heavy this year at our other need positions.
Most JC QBs only have two years of eligibility left. If they haven't played in the R&S and would have to invest at a minimum of one year to get a feel for the R&S why would they elect to move 2,500 miles from the mainland when if they are good could go to a Cali school and play in year one?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:27 am
Irse wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:59 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 am
I think we need to recruit 2 JC or Portal Transfer to challenge Schager next spring for QB1 & 2. I don't feel good about relying on a true freshman or any other returning QBs.
I was hoping for 1 JC and 1 hs and maybe 1 portal. Didn't do all that well with the portal last year at the QB position.

Hope we're JC heavy this year at our other need positions.
Most JC QBs only have two years of eligibility left. If they haven't played in the R&S and would have to invest at a minimum of one year to get a feel for the R&S why would they elect to move 2,500 miles from the mainland when if they are good could go to a Cali school and play in year one?
Rolo, Jason Wheildon, Colt, Greg Alexander, Moniz, Dru Brown were all were JC QBs who were read to play upon arrival and ascended to QB1 or 2 immediately

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

And no more project player who possibly could be good years to come. No need find a diamond in the rough from Japan, Australia, China, Europe, etc. Gotta hit the recruiting trail where competive football is played year round from small kid time to high school

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Irse wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:51 am
TheDuke wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 am What made a good QB at Hawaii was determined by the system, the talent around him and the experienced the players had in the system. Every great QB at Hawaii had at least two years of experience in a specific system. No QB that I recall was great in his first year. There weren't too many receivers that came in and made an immediate impact their first year in the R&S. It takes repetition. None of our QBs had any experience in the R&S. It will be interesting to see how much progress Schager, Yellen and the receivers make during the off season. Yes, Yellen could surprise if he picks up the R&S.

Maybe he wasn't great but he became very good in his first year in the RnS and took UH to a bowl game - Dan Robinson.
I was thinking Dan as well, also if my memory is not playing tricks on me didn’t he play part of the season with a bad throwing shoulder?

Always wanted to see what he could do if he had 1 or 2 more years in the RnS system as he did pretty good in his lone season