2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by talloola25 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:25 pm
talloola25 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 am
808WrestlingFan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 pm

Is Shields back? Heard he had a significant i jury.
Did the ilh matches happen on Friday or sat?
Not sure about Shields(hope he's doing well), but he's on the registration for this weekend. The ILH had duals on Friday and Saturday is the ILH open at St. Louis.
Nice! Any results or interesting matchups?
ILH open.... Lame. Most wrestlers didn't compete. Brackets of 1, 2, 3 ,4 everywhere. Ridiculous... Best match up was probably McKenzie v Frias? Frias won 3-1 I think.
OIA: Shields(KLH) teched Young(WAN) 17-0
Durand(RAD) pinned Kaniho(KAH)
A lot of teams must have been resting their guys, because very few starters for a lot of teams were competing unfortunately. If I missed some, please chime in

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

Bedrock’s pfp is out and idk what to make of that list. It looks like more prediction than rankings with all the guys that already lost this season.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

justafan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm Bedrock’s pfp is out and idk what to make of that list. It looks like more prediction than rankings with all the guys that already lost this season.
I think it's pretty good for the most part. Remember p4p is not about just the current season. I would value significant wins and accolades over simply being undefeated. Where do you think it's wrong? Right? Let's debate and have some fun

808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

talloola25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:47 pm
justafan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:27 pm Bedrock’s pfp is out and idk what to make of that list. It looks like more prediction than rankings with all the guys that already lost this season.
I think it's pretty good for the most part. Remember p4p is not about just the current season. I would value significant wins and accolades over simply being undefeated. Where do you think it's wrong? Right? Let's debate and have some fun
Personally I don’t think someone should be ranked higher than someone that beat them this season just because they had a good season last year or whatever. How are you a best p4p if you’re not even definitively the best in your weight class?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm
talloola25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:47 pm
Personally I don’t think someone should be ranked higher than someone that beat them this season just because they had a good season last year or whatever. How are you a best p4p if you’re not even definitively the best in your weight class?
I assume you're either talking about Labuanan v Kimura or Pagurayan v Shields. In the first case, I would definitely argue that Labuanan was the better wrestler in that match and lost it due to his sportsmanship not his wrestling(6 non wrestling points in the final period is a pretty crazy way to lose). I'm not defending him, just saying it's not something that happens very often.

In Pagurayan v Shields, I honestly just want to see it again. It seemed like an odd situation and not trying to take anything away from Shields(who has been amazing all season!) but not sure if that's a repeatable situation. Last season everyone wrote him off after he got pinned early in the match at the OIA Championships by Desantos, then he dominated the rematch in the state finals.

In both cases, I'm definitely looking forward to a rematch to see where each currently stand.

What do you think about Vanderlei Yong in the 10 spot? Undefeated for 2 seasons now and returning state champion. Just beat the Official's champion 6-5(who was undefeated with most wins by fall).

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Btw here's what I would do for my P4P:
1. Taam - Undefeated in HS so far in HI and closest match has been 8-0
2. Dikilato - Undefeated since beginning of last year. Close matches with Coelho, but he's a state runnerup
3. Yong - Undefeated since beginning of last year. Only wrestled in one tourney so far though. Beat an undefeated Salangdron 6-5
4. Shields - All matches have ended in fall, even against Pagurayan
5. Pagurayan - State champ and 5th. Dominant and only loss to Shields. Pinned 182 Officials Champ. Has wins over past state champs as well
6. Labuanan - State Champ with loss to Kimura, but should have won comfortably except for antics. He has wins over past state champs as well
7. Berger - Undefeated, beat Kusumoto and Ramos-Semana(their only losses)
8. Kusumoto - State Champ and dominant in all wins
9. Kane-Keawe - State runner up and dominant in all wins(tech fall in Officials Finals against a state 3rd)
10. Goeas - State placer and beat Erolin who has beaten Mercado, Hondo, Wailehua. 152 is deep. He's the only undefeated wrestler in the weight.
HM: Erolin, Porter, Kimura, Lau(maybe should be in top 10, but his wins aren't as good as the rest and only a state 3rd... so far) , Mercado, Coelho, Salangdron

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:47 pm Btw here's what I would do for my P4P:
2. Dikilato - Undefeated since beginning of last year. Close matches with Coelho, but he's a state runnerup
3. Yong - Undefeated since beginning of last year. Only wrestled in one tourney so far though. Beat an undefeated Salangdron 6-5
5. Pagurayan - State champ and 5th. Dominant and only loss to Shields. Pinned 182 Officials Champ. Has wins over past state champs as well
6. Labuanan - State Champ with loss to Kimura, but should have won comfortably except for antics. He has wins over past state champs as well
9. Kane-Keawe - State runner up and dominant in all wins(tech fall in Officials Finals against a state 3rd)
10. Goeas - State placer and beat Erolin who has beaten Mercado, Hondo, Wailehua. 152 is deep. He's the only undefeated wrestler in the weight.
HM: Erolin, Porter, Kimura, Lau(maybe should be in top 10, but his wins aren't as good as the rest and only a state 3rd... so far) , Mercado, Coelho, Salangdron
That seems like a pretty logical list as well. I would definitely add Bransen Porter and Josh Frias in that honorable mention list. Maybe even Porter in the top 10. I don't know who you would take out of it though.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 am
talloola25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:47 pm Btw here's what I would do for my P4P:
That seems like a pretty logical list as well. I would definitely add Bransen Porter and Josh Frias in that honorable mention list. Maybe even Porter in the top 10. I don't know who you would take out of it though.
I have Porter in HM. Frias definitely deserves consideration as well no doubt

hiwrestlefan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hiwrestlefan808 »

Should keep an eye out for Kato (Campbell). Beat the officials finalist Suan (STL) and ILH finalist Cobb-Dumlao (KSK) 7-6, 7-5 SV, respectively at the ILH/OIA crossover on Dec 3rd at STL. Didn’t wrestle officials though, wonder why…

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

hiwrestlefan808 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 pm Should keep an eye out for Kato (Campbell). Beat the officials finalist Suan (STL) and ILH finalist Cobb-Dumlao (KSK) 7-6, 7-5 SV, respectively at the ILH/OIA crossover on Dec 3rd at STL. Didn’t wrestle officials though, wonder why…
He's tough for sure, but it's tough sledding at 120. Lau, Frias, Corpus, Below, Seson, Holokai-Basa, Del Rosario.... Even placing will be rough even though he has looked really good this season

hiwrestlefan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hiwrestlefan808 »

[/quote]
talloola25 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 pm
hiwrestlefan808 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 pm Should keep an eye out for Kato (Campbell). Beat the officials finalist Suan (STL) and ILH finalist Cobb-Dumlao (KSK) 7-6, 7-5 SV, respectively at the ILH/OIA crossover on Dec 3rd at STL. Didn’t wrestle officials though, wonder why…
He's tough for sure, but it's tough sledding at 120. Lau, Frias, Corpus, Below, Seson, Holokai-Basa, Del Rosario.... Even placing will be rough even though he has looked really good this season
Holokai-Basa is up at 120?

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

I hear Buelow is all the way up at 132 now. Seson most likely staying at 126 I believe.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

hiwrestlefan808 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:58 pm
Holokai-Basa is up at 120?
[/quote]
Yeah, looks like Marinas dropped to 113 so he had been wrestling up

808WrestlingFan

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

Anybody get to check out the oia duals? Saw Kapolei and Moanalua won as expected. Any noteworthy matches?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:09 am Anybody get to check out the oia duals? Saw Kapolei and Moanalua won as expected. Any noteworthy matches?
There were a bunch of good ones. Lee(MIL) gave Pagurayan all he could handle. Woolsey beat Kimura handily when he bumped up. Shigemoto(MIL) controlled Shimabukuro(KPO) in a tight match. Taam over Paaluhi by major. Porter over Adinwin by tech. Garcia(KPO) over Kim-Cadiz in a double overtime match. Ramos-Semana over Bicoy by fall. Ramos-Semana over Guevara. Shigemoto over Seson. Pinales over Payton-Sherman(PC) by fall.
At ILH duals Creech over Wailehua by fall. Cobb-Adams over Kaaialii. Looks like Buelow is staying at 132.
Girls OIA - Lee-Tynan(KPO) was finally on the mat and beat an undefeated Officials champ Kukono(MOA) by fall. Kukono bumped up and lost to Chargualaf(CAM) as well in a tight match. Alo lost to Adinwin.
A lot of really good matches this weekend. Mililani's big boys were the difference over Moanalua in their 10pt victory.
I think Adrian Lee is the favorite at 160 based on his performances this weekend. Boyd is right up there as well