2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

Haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere but needs to be said..Cobb-Adams may have lost the match but he is the “peoples champion”. Slammed on his head and could have taken the easy win by not getting up. I guarantee if he was from Iolani he would have stayed down and taken the win. He said F that and battled on and went down like a true champion. My hats off to you sir if you ever read this.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:37 pm
GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:36 am Saint Louis has a lot of returning state placers for next year and a bunch of young very raw underclassmen talent and injured state placers. Wouldn't be surprised if they took the whole thing next year considering that they placed third as a team this year with 8/14 guys and 7/14 placing. However, the same thing can be said for Mililani and Moanalua. Very excited to see a race between these three schools. I am interested to see who Kamehameha has coming off the bench as they always do have guys, but they are a very senior-heavy team this year and only took second, and this group is the last of Coach Rob's. Kapolei had a great year and they seemed like a team that worked their butts off for that win, super proud of them, also a senior-heavy team so a lot of rebuilding is going to need to be done. My prediction is Saint Louis sweeping the ILH with a fully stacked and healthy team and Moanalua and Mililani battling for the OIA, however, I got Moanalua because of their numbers. And of course, I got Moanalua girls sweeping for another team title, what they did this year as a team with mainly underclassmen is insane, props to them.
I think you might be on to something. Let's have a look at some of the contenders:
St. Louis - Cobb-Adams(2nd), Balisican(6th inj), Ka'aha'aina-Torres(5th), Berger(1), Suan(2), McCreedie(inj), Creech(inj), Fuifui(ILH 2 went 1-3 at ILH and State). Returning 93.5pts - probably closer to 120pts returning
Mililani - Corpuz(2), Shigemoto(2), Lee(1), Jackson(6), Guevara(5). Returning 103.5pts
Kamehameha - McKenzie(6), Kusumoto(1), Tuikolongahau(6), Seales(inj possible top 3 until then), Salter(wasn't right), Langford(inj past placer), Nishida(inj past placer). Returning 59pts - probably should have been closer to 100pts returning
Moanalua - Seson(came up short had a win over state 1&2), Taam(1), Adinwin(came up short), Randles(Came up short), Baekkeland(1), Kaumavae(came up short). Returning 77pts but a lot of kids underperformed.
Kapolei - Shimabukuro(3), Woolsey(4), Makita(inj). A lot of work to do with the backups and kids that came up short. Returning 38.5
If I were to guess what next season will look like, I would probably say you're right on the money.
St.Louis: Returning 5 placers + 2 that probably would have placed. Probably going to have 7-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Mililani: Returning 5 placers. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Moanalua: Returning 2 placers, but a lot came up just short. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(2-3 finalists)
Kapolei: Returning 2 placers. Probably going to have 4-7 placers(2-3 finalists)
Let's see who puts in the work for next year. Could be someone we don't see coming as well. Did anyone see Kapolei coming for the title at the end of last season from 6th place?
Just a couple thoughts on this list...
Moanalua: I heard Baekkland is moving to the mainland (possibly Oregon or Washington) for next year. Without him, they're gonna need some of their tough JV kids to step up in order to contend. Tyger and MAYBE Seson could be finalists.
Mililani will probably be the team to beat in the OIA. Interesting to see how Guevara does if he moves up in weight. Corpuz, Shigemoto, and Lee could all definitely be back in the finals.
Kapolei could have Woolsey and Shimabukuro in the finals, but not sure who else has that potential. Lots of rebuilding in the upper weights for sure.
One team to keep an eye on is Campbell. They didn't score a TON of points at states, but they have a bunch of kids that are very close: Sheldon (106), Vilavong (113), Kato (120), Tabayoyong (126), Baptista (145), Tanele (170). Not a lot of depth at other weights though.

I definitely think the favorites to win states will be St. Louis though (if they stay healthy). It will be interesting to see how big Berger gets. Also, if the weight classes change to the NFHS proposed, will there be enough space for Cobb-Adams, Balisican, McCreadie, and Creech (maybe 150, 157, 165, 175?)
Kamehameha will always be in the mix with 100+ kids in their room. If they return those injured guys to full potential, they could definitely make a run.

Even though this year just finished, I'm already excited for next year!

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:39 pm
GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:36 am Saint Louis has a lot of returning state placers for next year and a bunch of young very raw underclassmen talent and injured state placers. Wouldn't be surprised if they took the whole thing next year considering that they placed third as a team this year with 8/14 guys and 7/14 placing. However, the same thing can be said for Mililani and Moanalua. Very excited to see a race between these three schools. I am interested to see who Kamehameha has coming off the bench as they always do have guys, but they are a very senior-heavy team this year and only took second, and this group is the last of Coach Rob's. Kapolei had a great year and they seemed like a team that worked their butts off for that win, super proud of them, also a senior-heavy team so a lot of rebuilding is going to need to be done. My prediction is Saint Louis sweeping the ILH with a fully stacked and healthy team and Moanalua and Mililani battling for the OIA, however, I got Moanalua because of their numbers. And of course, I got Moanalua girls sweeping for another team title, what they did this year as a team with mainly underclassmen is insane, props to them.
I think you might be on to something. Let's have a look at some of the contenders:
St. Louis - Cobb-Adams(2nd), Balisican(6th inj), Ka'aha'aina-Torres(5th), Berger(1), Suan(2), McCreedie(inj), Creech(inj), Fuifui(ILH 2 went 1-3 at ILH and State). Returning 93.5pts - probably closer to 120pts returning
Mililani - Corpuz(2), Shigemoto(2), Lee(1), Jackson(6), Guevara(5). Returning 103.5pts
Kamehameha - McKenzie(6), Kusumoto(1), Tuikolongahau(6), Seales(inj possible top 3 until then), Salter(wasn't right), Langford(inj past placer), Nishida(inj past placer). Returning 59pts - probably should have been closer to 100pts returning
Moanalua - Seson(came up short had a win over state 1&2), Taam(1), Adinwin(came up short), Randles(Came up short), Baekkeland(1), Kaumavae(came up short). Returning 77pts but a lot of kids underperformed.
Kapolei - Shimabukuro(3), Woolsey(4), Makita(inj). A lot of work to do with the backups and kids that came up short. Returning 38.5
If I were to guess what next season will look like, I would probably say you're right on the money.
St.Louis: Returning 5 placers + 2 that probably would have placed. Probably going to have 7-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Mililani: Returning 5 placers. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Moanalua: Returning 2 placers, but a lot came up just short. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(2-3 finalists)
Let's see who puts in the work for next year. Could be someone we don't see coming as well. Did anyone see Kapolei coming for the title at the end of last season from 6th place?
Moanalua: I heard Baekkland is moving to the mainland (possibly Oregon or Washington) for next year. Without him, they're gonna need some of their tough JV kids to step up in order to contend. Tyger and MAYBE Seson could be finalists.
Mililani will probably be the team to beat in the OIA. Interesting to see how Guevara does if he moves up in weight. Corpuz, Shigemoto, and Lee could all definitely be back in the finals.
Kapolei could have Woolsey and Shimabukuro in the finals, but not sure who else has that potential. Lots of rebuilding in the upper weights for sure.
One team to keep an eye on is Campbell. They didn't score a TON of points at states, but they have a bunch of kids that are very close: Sheldon (106), Vilavong (113), Kato (120), Tabayoyong (126), Baptista (145), Tanele (170). Not a lot of depth at other weights though.

I definitely think the favorites to win states will be St. Louis though (if they stay healthy). It will be interesting to see how big Berger gets. Also, if the weight classes change to the NFHS proposed, will there be enough space for Cobb-Adams, Balisican, McCreadie, and Creech (maybe 150, 157, 165, 175?)
Kamehameha will always be in the mix with 100+ kids in their room. If they return those injured guys to full potential, they could definitely make a run.

Moanalua boys had the same fate that other OIA teams that won had. Pearl city boys won and haven’t been close since. Leilehua boys won and haven’t been close since. Moanalua wasn’t close this year. Let’s hope kapolei doesn’t follow suit.
Moanalua girls are a different story. Maybe Lahaina could knock them off next year? They lose a little bit less than Moanalua

GentlemanOfTheLou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GentlemanOfTheLou »

justafan wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:45 pm
GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm
Definitely agree, we never know who can come up it will all be decided on who works the hardest this off-season. I was just very surprised to see that STL got 3rd even with all the injuries and how young their guys are, I mean only two seniors on the team is crazy, but I think Kamehameha will still fill their lineup with more talent and still contest St. Louis and Mililani and Moanalua will definitely be on the same level as them and give them a run for their money.
STL should easily be the favorite next year. The hard part for them is what Kamehameha dealt with this year. The returning guys maxed out or nearly maxed out their team points. Berger is gonna have a hard time bonusing his way next year. Suan probably won’t make the finals again if Berger moves up. Cobb adams could score more but not much. Balisican was a surprise state qualifier. Having creech and mccreadie back will add a lot but 152 and 160 doesn’t really graduate a lot, same for heavyweight, doesn’t really clear out for Houston.
It’s going to be a down to the wire again for next season.
If Berger does move up next year to 113, I have a little faith in Suan doing good in 120 considering he pinned Marinas, who made Officials finals with Lau in the pre-season(But I don't think Corpuz was wrestling), and I definitely do think Creech and McCreadie can make finals because of 172 graduating a lot of guys(Their main problem being wherever Lee goes). The two big boys for STL did fairly alright considering both their first time in states, definitely a lot of improvement needed. I definitely think it's going to be down to the wire between Mililani and St. Louis for the state championship, it all will depend on who works the hardest this off-season. I do think that Saint Louis has the edge because of their depth in the heavier weight classes but that's probably just my STL bias, very excited for next season!

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 pm

Definitely agree, we never know who can come up it will all be decided on who works the hardest this off-season. I was just very surprised to see that STL got 3rd even with all the injuries and how young their guys are, I mean only two seniors on the team is crazy, but I think Kamehameha will still fill their lineup with more talent and still contest St. Louis and Mililani and Moanalua will definitely be on the same level as them and give them a run for their money.
STL should easily be the favorite next year. The hard part for them is what Kamehameha dealt with this year. The returning guys maxed out or nearly maxed out their team points. Berger is gonna have a hard time bonusing his way next year. Suan probably won’t make the finals again if Berger moves up. Cobb adams could score more but not much. Balisican was a surprise state qualifier. Having creech and mccreadie back will add a lot but 152 and 160 doesn’t really graduate a lot, same for heavyweight, doesn’t really clear out for Houston.
If Berger does move up next year to 113, I have a little faith in Suan doing good in 120 considering he pinned Marinas, who made Officials finals with Lau in the pre-season(But I don't think Corpuz was wrestling), and I definitely do think Creech and McCreadie can make finals because of 172 graduating a lot of guys(Their main problem being wherever Lee goes). The two big boys for STL did fairly alright considering both their first time in states, definitely a lot of improvement needed. I definitely think it's going to be down to the wire between Mililani and St. Louis for the state championship, it all will depend on who works the hardest this off-season. I do think that Saint Louis has the edge because of their depth in the heavier weight classes but that's probably just my STL bias, very excited for next season!
With as big of a frame Berger's body is, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump all the way up to 120, and then Suan might be able to stay at 113. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch of Kusumoto and Berger up at 120 next year.

808WrestlingFan

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:51 am

With as big of a frame Berger's body is, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump all the way up to 120, and then Suan might be able to stay at 113. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch of Kusumoto and Berger up at 120 next year.
Berger, Kusumoto, and Lau at 120 would be exciting. Would also love to see Labuanan vs Taam and Lee vs Goeas, Mercado, and Erolin.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

If saint Louis can figure out their coaching situation, they’ll be the favorite. Heard it got pretty bad this year. Didn’t affect their A guys, but it had to affect their younger wrestlers.

808WrestlingFan

justafan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 am

If saint Louis can figure out their coaching situation, they’ll be the favorite. Heard it got pretty bad this year. Didn’t affect their A guys, but it had to affect their younger wrestlers.
That’s unfortunate. I believe they have a first year head coach. Hopefully he understands now that he is in charge. Everyone else needs to fall in line or get gone. Im very surprised by some of the coaches I saw on staff at Stl tbh. Mainly an old timer and a young coach who keeps bouncing around from team to team. Didn’t think they would be a good fit with the new head coach.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

justafan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 am

Hope it wasn’t too bad. If it had anything to do with coaching, I know they have a coach there that had to leave several other teams. Hopefully that coach isn’t a bad influence on St Louis as well.

BoredAtWork
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BoredAtWork »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Before we wrap up this year, I'd like to make sure we all say congrats to Sean Salter.
To build a state championship team is one thing.
To build one that could see the goal thru, even in your absence, is another.
It means you fostered teamwork and leaders amongst the young men you coached.
That is the ultimate goal.

Sorry that you didn't get your time in the spotlight.

hiwrestlefan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hiwrestlefan808 »

What happened to Coach Salter and the Pagurayan brothers coaching anyway?

808WrestlingFan

hiwrestlefan808 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:09 pm What happened to Coach Salter and the Pagurayan brothers coaching anyway?
Im not touching that one.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

hiwrestlefan808 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:09 pm What happened to Coach Salter and the Pagurayan brothers coaching anyway?
Not sure, I’m just assuming it’s personal and if they wanted to make it public knowledge they would. That’s getting away from the awesome job Kapolei did though, also the crazy season we will have upcoming. Very early predictions anyone? Anyone think we will see Labuanan and Tam in the same weight? Or maybe one of them will end up running into Porter. Also Keagan, Justyce, and Xander in the mix.

Not sure if it’s just me but the year after Covid seemed to be a weak year of competition resulting in a lot of underclassman placers and champs. As wrestling in Hawaii picks back up there seems to be room for a lot of upsets in these coming years.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

@BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.
Way too early predictions:
Kamehameha - 1st between 150-170pts (7-8 placers)
Mililani - 2nd between 130-150pts (6-7 placers)
St.Louis - 3rd - 120-140pts (6-8 placers)
Moanalua - 4th between 110-130pts (5-7 placers)
Kapolei - 5th between between 90-110pts (5-7 placers)

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.

808WrestlingFan

talloola25 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:04 am @BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.
Way too early predictions:
Kamehameha - 1st between 150-170pts (7-8 placers)
Mililani - 2nd between 130-150pts (6-7 placers)
St.Louis - 3rd - 120-140pts (6-8 placers)
Moanalua - 4th between 110-130pts (5-7 placers)
Kapolei - 5th between between 90-110pts (5-7 placers)

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.
Labuanan will run from Taam, doubt Taam will run from anyone. I think Porter beats Labuanan if they meet up. Woosley possibly as well.