2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

talloola25 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:04 am @BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.
Way too early predictions:
Kamehameha - 1st between 150-170pts (7-8 placers)
Mililani - 2nd between 130-150pts (6-7 placers)
St.Louis - 3rd - 120-140pts (6-8 placers)
Moanalua - 4th between 110-130pts (5-7 placers)
Kapolei - 5th between between 90-110pts (5-7 placers)

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.
@talloola25:

(Coming out of "retirement" again.)
I'm not really a wrestling expert at all, but when you picked Kamehameha 1st for next year, I had my doubts. They were supposed to win States THIS year, and look what happened. Again, without being a wrestling expert, and just going with my gut, I would predict:

1. Mililani (No offense to St Louis alumni, but I would really rather see Mililani take it; I prefer Mililani High to St Louis School.)
2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei

808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:50 pm
talloola25 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:04 am @BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.
@talloola25:

I'm not really a wrestling expert at all, but when you picked Kamehameha 1st for next year, I had my doubts. They were supposed to win States THIS year, and look what happened. Again, without being a wrestling expert, and just going with my gut, I would predict:

1. Mililani (No offense to St Louis alumni, but I would really rather see Mililani take it; I prefer Mililani High to St Louis School.)
2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
Just keep it in the OIA lol. Mililani might be the best chance next season based off of returning placers etc but they never seem to have a full lineup. Moanalua is almost always deep with numbers and talent. Kapolei is probably rebuilding but is always tough. Waianae and Campbell always have tough kids too but also not full lineups. Most likely St. louis and Kamehameha will be the teams to beat. Loads of talent and are capable of fulling all the weights and also qualifying all 14 weights. If they move to 12 weights OIA will have the advantage in my humble opinion.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

808WrestlingFan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:28 pm

@talloola25:

2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
Just keep it in the OIA lol. Mililani might be the best chance next season based off of returning placers etc but they never seem to have a full lineup. Moanalua is almost always deep with numbers and talent. Kapolei is probably rebuilding but is always tough. Waianae and Campbell always have tough kids too but also not full lineups. Most likely St. louis and Kamehameha will be the teams to beat. Loads of talent and are capable of fulling all the weights and also qualifying all 14 weights. If they move to 12 weights OIA will have the advantage in my humble opinion.
@808WrestlingFan:

I have my doubts about Kamehameha. They were supposed to win the State team title this year and last year, but failed both times.

808WrestlingFan

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:48 pm

@talloola25:

2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
@808WrestlingFan:

I have my doubts about Kamehameha. They were supposed to win the State team title this year and last year, but failed both times.
True. But Kamehameha has a ton of kids at their disposal. All competing for and starting spot. That will always make them a threat. If a team was ever to have placers in all 14 weights my money would be on Kamehameha. Not necessarily next season but i wouldn’t be surprised if they do it eventually. Also does anyone know if a team has ever had placers in all the weights? Like Minnesota did a at ncaas a while back.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

808WrestlingFan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:02 pm

@808WrestlingFan:

True. But Kamehameha has a ton of kids at their disposal. All competing for and starting spot. That will always make them a threat. If a team was ever to have placers in all 14 weights my money would be on Kamehameha. Not necessarily next season but i wouldn’t be surprised if they do it eventually. Also does anyone know if a team has ever had placers in all the weights? Like Minnesota did a at ncaas a while back.
@808WrestlingFan:

Would be nice if UH had a wrestling team.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:08 pm

@808WrestlingFan:

@808WrestlingFan:

Most schools don't have one. There are around 350 college basketball teams in D1, but I just looked it up, and only 78 college wrestling teams. So only around a quarter of all D1 schools have a team.

808WrestlingFan

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 pm

@808WrestlingFan:

Most schools don't have one. There are around 350 college basketball teams in D1, but I just looked it up, and only 78 college wrestling teams. So only around a quarter of all D1 schools have a team.
Hawaiis best chance at wrestling would be to start a womens program. We would be competitive right out of the gate in any division.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

808WrestlingFan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 pm

@808WrestlingFan:

Hawaiis best chance at wrestling would be to start a womens program. We would be competitive right out of the gate in any division.
@808WrestlingFan:

And why not a men's program? Why would UH not be competitive?

808WrestlingFan

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 pm

@808WrestlingFan:

Depends on the division. If its D1 hawaii would get spanked. Very few hawaii kids go on to have success on the D1 level. If its a lower division we would be competitive. Would a UH team have to be D1 since other sports are D1?

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

@808WrestlingFan:

Not that we couldn't be competitive, but I think a better way of saying it is that the only chance we would have to start a wrestling program at UH, would be to start a women's program first. Due to Title IX, UH can't start a new men's sport without either dropping an existing one or adding a women's program to keep the amount of teams even. We could start a women's program and be very competitive right away, then it would put the pressure on administration to start a men's program after. Now would be a great time given the ascending climate of women's wrestling nationally.

808WrestlingFan

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:01 am

@808WrestlingFan:

Not that we couldn't be competitive, but I think a better way of saying it is that the only chance we would have to start a wrestling program at UH, would be to start a women's program first. Due to Title IX, UH can't start a new men's sport without either dropping an existing one or adding a women's program to keep the amount of teams even. We could start a women's program and be very competitive right away, then it would put the pressure on administration to start a men's program after. Now would be a great time given the ascending climate of women's wrestling nationally.
Would a UH mens team have to be D1 or can they be a smaller division? I have no clue on the rules when it comes to assigning a division to a college sports team.

808WrestlingFan

I think its very important to understand that hawaii boys are nowhere near capable of competing on the D1 level, whereas the girls are… For now. If hawaii doesn’t get on board with womens college wrestling soon then im afraid any hopes of a D1 college wrestling team in hawaii will be lost forever. We were ahead of the curve when it comes to girls wrestling. We should have a college team and honestly it should be D1. Other than the Iowa ladyhawk dream team, I think A team of hawaii girls would be formidable against any other D1 womens program.

Edit: when I say Hawaii boys I obviously dont mean all of them. I mean fielding a team of 10 Hawaii grown boys that can win matches on the D1 level will be nearly impossible. You can forget about recruiting. Nobody is coming to Hawaii for college wrestling.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:54 am I think its very important to understand that hawaii boys are nowhere near capable of competing on the D1 level, whereas the girls are… For now. If hawaii doesn’t get on board with womens college wrestling soon then im afraid any hopes of a D1 college wrestling team in hawaii will be lost forever. We were ahead of the curve when it comes to girls wrestling. We should have a college team and honestly it should be D1. Other than the Iowa ladyhawk dream team, I think A team of hawaii girls would be formidable against any other D1 womens program.

Edit: when I say Hawaii boys I obviously dont mean all of them. I mean fielding a team of 10 Hawaii grown boys that can win matches on the D1 level will be nearly impossible. You can forget about recruiting. Nobody is coming to Hawaii for college wrestling.
I definitely think we could recruit some west coast kids. Obviously, it would be tough to recruit the TOP talent, but Hawaii is a very attractive location for college. If you were a California state placer, would you rather go to the midwest in negative 10 degree weather where you're 3rd string on a Big 10 team, or would you rather go to sunny Hawaii and maybe be a starter immediately? It would definitely be an uphill battle, similar to what we go through with football. If we could keep guys like Kysen Terukina and Rysen Leong and Brant Porter home, and fill the lineup with a couple of California, Arizona, Oregon guys, we could at least compete with some of the lower end PAC12 schools (Bakersfield, Littlerock, etc.).

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

So, just to get the ball rolling I know that the Community Colleges on the islands have a sports league. Torres from Radford has been talking with their organizer this year about getting wrestling into that league. She sounds open to it, so hopefully that can get the needle moving a little. I know it's not the same obviously, but it's something... I guess. Also, if we had to only rely on local talent for boys then D3 would be the best we could manage.

If we are talking girls, I don't know how competitive we would be tbh. We have a lot of good girls, but at the national level they have been improving by leaps and bounds. We also have very few that train freestyle in a major way(which is the style for them in college).
3 total in the tournament and 0 in the top 8 at NWCA's which was held last weekend. Mahoe and Perez made it to the blood round
11 from Hawaii qualified for the NAIA National Championship(2 1st seeds and and a 2, a 3, a 4, and some others)
1 placer at Junior College Nationals(just finished last weekend. Victoriana Kim 1st place. I don't recognize many of the names, but there might have been a total of 3 from Hawaii at the tournament.
So, a total of 15-18 wrestlers wrestling at the collegiate level. 3 qualified for the toughest division, 11 for the next division(Championship is this weekend), and 1 for the lowest division but was Champion.
I think we could field a decent NAIA team and a low tier NWCA team. What we know as NCAA is not really a thing yet( only like 4-5 teams that meet that standard) so those teams will fall into the NWCA group when eligible for now.

808WrestlingFan

talloola25 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:51 am So, just to get the ball rolling I know that the Community Colleges on the islands have a sports league. Torres from Radford has been talking with their organizer this year about getting wrestling into that league. She sounds open to it, so hopefully that can get the needle moving a little. I know it's not the same obviously, but it's something... I guess. Also, if we had to only rely on local talent for boys then D3 would be the best we could manage.

If we are talking girls, I don't know how competitive we would be tbh. We have a lot of good girls, but at the national level they have been improving by leaps and bounds. We also have very few that train freestyle in a major way(which is the style for them in college).
3 total in the tournament and 0 in the top 8 at NWCA's which was held last weekend. Mahoe and Perez made it to the blood round
11 from Hawaii qualified for the NAIA National Championship(2 1st seeds and and a 2, a 3, a 4, and some others)
1 placer at Junior College Nationals(just finished last weekend. Victoriana Kim 1st place. I don't recognize many of the names, but there might have been a total of 3 from Hawaii at the tournament.
So, a total of 15-18 wrestlers wrestling at the collegiate level. 3 qualified for the toughest division, 11 for the next division(Championship is this weekend), and 1 for the lowest division but was Champion.
I think we could field a decent NAIA team and a low tier NWCA team. What we know as NCAA is not really a thing yet( only like 4-5 teams that meet that standard) so those teams will fall into the NWCA group when eligible for now.
This is just an opinion (no hard data) but I feel like a lot of the talented Hawaii girls who do go off to college dont end up realizing their full potential. Many don’t wrestle their whole college career. I wonder if being at home would fix that issue.