2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BoredAtWork
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by BoredAtWork »

talloola25 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:09 pm That was a fun couple of days. I'm glad the finals were able to be televised. Looking forward to rewatching a couple. A tight team race up until the finals for the boys and a dominating performance by the Moanalua girls.
Even though it was one sided, I thoroughly enjoyed the 170 finals. I always enjoy "revenge" match stories. Also happened at 145 and 152. Was hoping 106, 182 and 195 would play out that way as well, with them avenging their only season losses. Opponents proved too much for them though.
At 113 and 113 I didn't really see a route to victory for either of the runner ups. 126,132, 138, and 285 I thought were in the balance and could go either way. I was excited to see how the 160 final would go down and it didn't disappoint.
Which finals or other matches got you excited? Most outstanding wrestler? Boys and girls side?
By the second day I was rooting for team OIA (Kapolei) over Team ILH. Kap has a good group of upper weights led by Brycen, and they are all good kids. Hard to root against their success. Both Kapolei and Kam graduate a lot of points (very senior heavy teams), so i'm curious who they have on the bench. Kam seems to be on a slow and steady decline, and this group is the last of Coach Rob Hesia's. The rest of the top 5, Mililani, Saint Louis, and Moanalua seem to have very young teams. Team race seems to be wide open with no clear favorite next year.

Moanalua absolutely dominated the girls. Nothing to really talk about here. In fact every time I see Moanalua in the finals, boys or girls, I assume they will probably win. That's what they do -Bo.

At 170, giving Brycen some extra motivation early in the season was probably not the best thing to do... Only thing that could've beat him this year is injuries or boredom.
145, I don't like how that match went down. Kaihi wrestled that entire match like he was concussed. A slam like that is worth a lot more then 1 point.
152, was probably the most skilled match. These guys make Hawaii wrestling proud.
120, what happened to Joseph Latewood? I assume he moved due to military? Logan Lau seems like he only has one move and two periods in him. A school like Kapolei could've easily game planed for him if they had a guy.
195 was a lot closer then I thought.
126, Sekulich definitely earned this one. Had the toughest tournament of all the state champs.
138, Tyger had 5 mins of riding time in a 6 minute match.... It seems ridiculous that score was only 4-2.
285, Scotty won but I am almost more impressed with Lauifi. What HWT does a slide by to Osoto?
106, 113, hopefully Hunter and Evan meet next year. I'm always skeptical of the lightweights continued success as they grow.
182, 220 were pretty much expected.

Tyger Taam is definitely my pick #1 P4P. Although it is a little unfair to Dikilato because he doesn't have a higher weight class to wrestle at.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

BoredAtWork wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:19 pm
talloola25 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:09 pm That was a fun couple of days. I'm glad the finals were able to be televised. Looking forward to rewatching a couple. A tight team race up until the finals for the boys and a dominating performance by the Moanalua girls.
Even though it was one sided, I thoroughly enjoyed the 170 finals. I always enjoy "revenge" match stories. Also happened at 145 and 152. Was hoping 106, 182 and 195 would play out that way as well, with them avenging their only season losses. Opponents proved too much for them though.
At 113 and 113 I didn't really see a route to victory for either of the runner ups. 126,132, 138, and 285 I thought were in the balance and could go either way. I was excited to see how the 160 final would go down and it didn't disappoint.
Which finals or other matches got you excited? Most outstanding wrestler? Boys and girls side?
By the second day I was rooting for team OIA (Kapolei) over Team ILH. Kap has a good group of upper weights led by Brycen, and they are all good kids. Hard to root against their success. Both Kapolei and Kam graduate a lot of points (very senior heavy teams), so i'm curious who they have on the bench. Kam seems to be on a slow and steady decline, and this group is the last of Coach Rob Hesia's. The rest of the top 5, Mililani, Saint Louis, and Moanalua seem to have very young teams. Team race seems to be wide open with no clear favorite next year.

Moanalua absolutely dominated the girls. Nothing to really talk about here. In fact every time I see Moanalua in the finals, boys or girls, I assume they will probably win. That's what they do -Bo.

At 170, giving Brycen some extra motivation early in the season was probably not the best thing to do... Only thing that could've beat him this year is injuries or boredom.
145, I don't like how that match went down. Kaihi wrestled that entire match like he was concussed. A slam like that is worth a lot more then 1 point.
152, was probably the most skilled match. These guys make Hawaii wrestling proud.
120, what happened to Joseph Latewood? I assume he moved due to military? Logan Lau seems like he only has one move and two periods in him. A school like Kapolei could've easily game planed for him if they had a guy.
126, Sekulich definitely earned this one. Had the toughest tournament of all the state champs.
138, Tyger had 5 mins of riding time in a 6 minute match.... It seems ridiculous that score was only 4-2.
285, Scotty won but I am almost more impressed with Lauifi. What HWT does a slide by to Osoto?
106, 113, hopefully Hunter and Evan meet next year. I'm always skeptical of the lightweights continued success as they grow.

Tyger Taam is definitely my pick #1 P4P. Although it is a little unfair to Dikilato because he doesn't have a higher weight class to wrestle at.
Taam and Dikilato had great seasons no doubt, but let me sell you on some others that I would put right up there with them. No names, just credentials...
Wrestler #1 - 37 wins(28 falls 9 tech falls), 2x state champ(3 1st pd falls and major at the state tournament) and a state 5th. Beat the current 160 state champ and 182 champ(by fall).
Wrestler #2 - 27 wins(12 falls 6 tech 5 major) 2x state champ( 2 falls 1 major 1 Dec at state this year) best win is against the state runner up in the finals
Wrestler #3 - 37 wins(33 falls 3dec 1 major), 1x state champ(1st year senior and pinned his way through state tournament) beat undefeated returning state champ 3x including pinning him in state finals)
Wrestler #4 - 20 wins(13 fall 3 Dec) 2x champ (3 falls 1 Dec at state this year) 1 time 5th best wins are multiple state runners up... To him lol(not his fault)

2 total losses amongst the 4 and both losses were avenged dominantly with a fall and a 10+ pt. major.

P4P.... Who you got?

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

talloola25 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:31 pm

Taam and Dikilato had great seasons no doubt, but let me sell you on some others that I would put right up there with them. No names, just credentials...
Wrestler #1 - 37 wins(28 falls 9 tech falls), 2x state champ(3 1st pd falls and major at the state tournament) and a state 5th. Beat the current 160 state champ and 182 champ(by fall).
Wrestler #2 - 27 wins(12 falls 6 tech 5 major) 2x state champ( 2 falls 1 major 1 Dec at state this year) best win is against the state runner up in the finals
Wrestler #3 - 37 wins(33 falls 3dec 1 major), 1x state champ(1st year senior and pinned his way through state tournament) beat undefeated returning state champ 3x including pinning him in state finals)
Wrestler #4 - 20 wins(13 fall 3 Dec) 2x champ (3 falls 1 Dec at state this year) 1 time 5th best wins are multiple state runners up... To him lol(not his fault)

2 total losses amongst the 4 and both losses were avenged dominantly with a fall and a 10+ pt. major.

P4P.... Who you got?
I would add a 5th, who has a loss like #1 and #3.
Wrestler #5 - 2x state champ who’s best win is a returning champ multiple times and an undefeated wrestler in the finals. Won the deepest weight class this year.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

justafan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:18 pm
talloola25 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:31 pm

P4P.... Who you got?
I would add a 5th, who has a loss like #1 and #3.
Wrestler #5 - 2x state champ who’s best win is a returning champ multiple times and an undefeated wrestler in the finals. Won the deepest weight class this year.
I was going to add him as well. Just harder to look up good other stats. A lot of regular decisions though(hardest weight so makes sense). Maybe around 14 wins ( 1 fall 2 tech 4 major 7 reg Dec) at state(1 tech 1 major, 1 inj default, 1 Dec)
I think making credentials lists without names and giving it to all the changes could to vote on could be a fun experiment lol

Gridiron88
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Gridiron88 »

Is everyone in this thread as stupid as OldManJenkins and some past users?

BoredAtWork
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BoredAtWork »

Completely forgot about the “Beat the current 160 state champ and 182 champ(by fall)”.
I have just made the decision that I would like to reward people for giving us the matches that we want!!! So thank you, I have reconsidered.

I have changed my number two p4p.

808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

Gridiron88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:12 pm Is everyone in this thread as stupid as OldManJenkins and some past users?
Id say this group is pretty smart. Just a little biased.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

Gridiron88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:12 pm Is everyone in this thread as stupid as OldManJenkins and some past users?
Someone has been lurking for a long time to bring up oldmanjenkins. What are you so grumpy about, team didn’t do so well at states?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

justafan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:45 am
Someone has been lurking for a long time to bring up oldmanjenkins. What are you so grumpy about, team didn’t do so well at states?
@justafan:
Thought I'd come-out of "retirement" again to express a little bit of grumpiness myself. Wouldn't surprise me if Gridiron88's team is Kamehameha. Their boys were supposed to win the team title, but wound-up second. Of course that's still very good, but if you had your expectations set to see them take the team title, well, you might still be a little grumpy. As for Kamehameha's girls, weren't they supposed to take second as a team? Instead, they wound-up fourth. One can be a little grumpy about that, too, I suppose.

Especially when the finals were televised.

GentlemanOfTheLou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GentlemanOfTheLou »

Saint Louis has a lot of returning state placers for next year and a bunch of young very raw underclassmen talent and injured state placers. Wouldn't be surprised if they took the whole thing next year considering that they placed third as a team this year with 8/14 guys and 7/14 placing. However, the same thing can be said for Mililani and Moanalua. Very excited to see a race between these three schools. I am interested to see who Kamehameha has coming off the bench as they always do have guys, but they are a very senior-heavy team this year and only took second, and this group is the last of Coach Rob's. Kapolei had a great year and they seemed like a team that worked their butts off for that win, super proud of them, also a senior-heavy team so a lot of rebuilding is going to need to be done. My prediction is Saint Louis sweeping the ILH with a fully stacked and healthy team and Moanalua and Mililani battling for the OIA, however, I got Moanalua because of their numbers. And of course, I got Moanalua girls sweeping for another team title, what they did this year as a team with mainly underclassmen is insane, props to them.

808WrestlingFan

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:36 am Saint Louis has a lot of returning state placers for next year and a bunch of young very raw underclassmen talent and injured state placers. Wouldn't be surprised if they took the whole thing next year considering that they placed third as a team this year with 8/14 guys and 7/14 placing. However, the same thing can be said for Mililani and Moanalua. Very excited to see a race between these three schools. I am interested to see who Kamehameha has coming off the bench as they always do have guys, but they are a very senior-heavy team this year and only took second, and this group is the last of Coach Rob's. Kapolei had a great year and they seemed like a team that worked their butts off for that win, super proud of them, also a senior-heavy team so a lot of rebuilding is going to need to be done. My prediction is Saint Louis sweeping the ILH with a fully stacked and healthy team and Moanalua and Mililani battling for the OIA, however, I got Moanalua because of their numbers. And of course, I got Moanalua girls sweeping for another team title, what they did this year as a team with mainly underclassmen is insane, props to them.
Seems like a pretty fair assessment. I believe St. Louis and Mililani are bringing back the most state placers (about 5 each) but KSK and Moanalua are always deep with talent and can usually fill more than 1 full lineup. Having those extra bodies and competition for a starting spot in the room is a huge plus for a team.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:36 am Saint Louis has a lot of returning state placers for next year and a bunch of young very raw underclassmen talent and injured state placers. Wouldn't be surprised if they took the whole thing next year considering that they placed third as a team this year with 8/14 guys and 7/14 placing. However, the same thing can be said for Mililani and Moanalua. Very excited to see a race between these three schools. I am interested to see who Kamehameha has coming off the bench as they always do have guys, but they are a very senior-heavy team this year and only took second, and this group is the last of Coach Rob's. Kapolei had a great year and they seemed like a team that worked their butts off for that win, super proud of them, also a senior-heavy team so a lot of rebuilding is going to need to be done. My prediction is Saint Louis sweeping the ILH with a fully stacked and healthy team and Moanalua and Mililani battling for the OIA, however, I got Moanalua because of their numbers. And of course, I got Moanalua girls sweeping for another team title, what they did this year as a team with mainly underclassmen is insane, props to them.
I think you might be on to something. Let's have a look at some of the contenders:
St. Louis - Cobb-Adams(2nd), Balisican(6th inj), Ka'aha'aina-Torres(5th), Berger(1), Suan(2), McCreedie(inj), Creech(inj), Fuifui(ILH 2 went 1-3 at ILH and State). Returning 93.5pts - probably closer to 120pts returning
Mililani - Corpuz(2), Shigemoto(2), Lee(1), Jackson(6), Guevara(5). Returning 103.5pts
Kamehameha - McKenzie(6), Kusumoto(1), Tuikolongahau(6), Seales(inj possible top 3 until then), Salter(wasn't right), Langford(inj past placer), Nishida(inj past placer). Returning 59pts - probably should have been closer to 100pts returning
Moanalua - Seson(came up short had a win over state 1&2), Taam(1), Adinwin(came up short), Randles(Came up short), Baekkeland(1), Kaumavae(came up short). Returning 77pts but a lot of kids underperformed.
Kapolei - Shimabukuro(3), Woolsey(4), Makita(inj). A lot of work to do with the backups and kids that came up short. Returning 38.5
If I were to guess what next season will look like, I would probably say you're right on the money.
St.Louis: Returning 5 placers + 2 that probably would have placed. Probably going to have 7-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Mililani: Returning 5 placers. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Moanalua: Returning 2 placers, but a lot came up just short. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(2-3 finalists)
Kapolei: Returning 2 placers. Probably going to have 4-7 placers(2-3 finalists)
Let's see who puts in the work for next year. Could be someone we don't see coming as well. Did anyone see Kapolei coming for the title at the end of last season from 6th place?

GentlemanOfTheLou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GentlemanOfTheLou »

talloola25 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:37 pm
I think you might be on to something. Let's have a look at some of the contenders:
St. Louis - Cobb-Adams(2nd), Balisican(6th inj), Ka'aha'aina-Torres(5th), Berger(1), Suan(2), McCreedie(inj), Creech(inj), Fuifui(ILH 2 went 1-3 at ILH and State). Returning 93.5pts - probably closer to 120pts returning
Mililani - Corpuz(2), Shigemoto(2), Lee(1), Jackson(6), Guevara(5). Returning 103.5pts
Kamehameha - McKenzie(6), Kusumoto(1), Tuikolongahau(6), Seales(inj possible top 3 until then), Salter(wasn't right), Langford(inj past placer), Nishida(inj past placer). Returning 59pts - probably should have been closer to 100pts returning
Moanalua - Seson(came up short had a win over state 1&2), Taam(1), Adinwin(came up short), Randles(Came up short), Baekkeland(1), Kaumavae(came up short). Returning 77pts but a lot of kids underperformed.
Kapolei - Shimabukuro(3), Woolsey(4), Makita(inj). A lot of work to do with the backups and kids that came up short. Returning 38.5
If I were to guess what next season will look like, I would probably say you're right on the money.
St.Louis: Returning 5 placers + 2 that probably would have placed. Probably going to have 7-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Mililani: Returning 5 placers. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(3-5 finalists)
Moanalua: Returning 2 placers, but a lot came up just short. Probably going to have 5-8 placers(2-3 finalists)
Let's see who puts in the work for next year. Could be someone we don't see coming as well. Did anyone see Kapolei coming for the title at the end of last season from 6th place?
Definitely agree, we never know who can come up it will all be decided on who works the hardest this off-season. I was just very surprised to see that STL got 3rd even with all the injuries and how young their guys are, I mean only two seniors on the team is crazy, but I think Kamehameha will still fill their lineup with more talent and still contest St. Louis and Mililani and Moanalua will definitely be on the same level as them and give them a run for their money.

808WrestlingFan

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm
Definitely agree, we never know who can come up it will all be decided on who works the hardest this off-season. I was just very surprised to see that STL got 3rd even with all the injuries and how young their guys are, I mean only two seniors on the team is crazy, but I think Kamehameha will still fill their lineup with more talent and still contest St. Louis and Mililani and Moanalua will definitely be on the same level as them and give them a run for their money.
Just looked at the team points on trackwrestling. St. Louis and Mililani would have tied for 3rd had a Mil not given up a team point. Crazy how close these things can come down to. Not that 3rd or 4th matter that much but the same could happen for 1st and 2nd place.

justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justafan »

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm
STL should easily be the favorite next year. The hard part for them is what Kamehameha dealt with this year. The returning guys maxed out or nearly maxed out their team points. Berger is gonna have a hard time bonusing his way next year. Suan probably won’t make the finals again if Berger moves up. Cobb adams could score more but not much. Balisican was a surprise state qualifier. Having creech and mccreadie back will add a lot but 152 and 160 doesn’t really graduate a lot, same for heavyweight, doesn’t really clear out for Houston.
It’s going to be a down to the wire again for next season.