2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by talloola25 »

FoxMulder wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:31 pm
talloola25 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:44 pm
FoxMulder wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:28 pm Anyway, back to it, I’m less interested in who everyone is and more interested in these predictions. Zairyn over Hunter is pretty bold, Hunter has looked solid at 106 all year. Also 132 with Salter in the finals is surprising, I haven’t seen anything super impressive from him this year.
Zairyn over Hunter is super bold and definitely out there. That being said, he's gotten majors or better against everyone he's wrestled for the past few weeks. I think he's wrestling with confidence and his weight cut isn't a thing anymore. Should be interesting.
Salter, not so much. He's only been in 1 close match since official's. Everyone else has been a win by fall or tech. Kimura has a recent loss where he was kind of dominated and almost majored. With his mat wrestling I think he's got a good shot. Can ride/turn and Labuanan was the only one able to ride him this season. I think it's probably 60/40 Kimura tbh, but what fun would it be to only pick the front runners lol
If Kimura is the weaker of the top two seeds, its pretty lucky for Salter that he got the 4th seed.
Like I said, I think his coaches were being a little tricksie and it might pay off, might not. That's the beauty of wrestling. Good wins... He beat Shimabukuro for 3rd at official's and he was less than 30 sec from being the overall 1 at 126. He beat Buelow at ilh champs. But, you're correct in that it's a pretty weak field at 132 overall. I think most of the best 132s are at 126 or 138 tbh. They didn't want to stay and tangle with Labuanan.

Any other dark horse picks? I put some good ones out there, any others? That Gaucher kid from Kaiser has been tearing it up. Only loss was to Kahele-Akeo and all his wins are by fall. I'm curious how he's going to look this weekend.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

I like Lauifi at 285. He’s been looking good and I can’t remember the last time Waipahu had a State Champ. 126 looks to be a very good bracket as well, it looks like Sekulich will have a very tough road to the finals. Outside of that, there seems to be potential for some great matches in every weight.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

FoxMulder wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 pm I like Lauifi at 285. He’s been looking good and I can’t remember the last time Waipahu had a State Champ. 126 looks to be a very good bracket as well, it looks like Sekulich will have a very tough road to the finals. Outside of that, there seems to be potential for some great matches in every weight.
Lauifi should walk to the finals unless St.Louis or Kapolei can do something about it. Branden Mina is the last one that comes to mind, but there should have been a few since then. Yeah, the ILH 2 has the better bracket position it would seem at 126. Getting excited for this tournament. It's looking to be a fun one. Hope the finals are televised!

Was just looking at the Official's bracket for 126. Here were some nuggets:
Nitahara lost rd.1 to Buelow - 8-4 then wrestled back for 4th. Here were his results:
Beat Taboyoyong by fall
Beat Gonda 6-3 will proabably wrestle each other in the quarters
Beat Kekauoha(KSK Backup) 7-5sv1 . Kekauoha also gave Esperanza his first loss of the tournament
Lost to Shigemoto 5-4
Sekulich won the tournament. All wins by fall except in finals against Buelow. Sekulich has losses to Seson(possible quarters) and Shimabukuro(possible semis).
McKenzie finished 5th losing 2x to Shigemoto. His best win was against Mililani's backup Enrico. Also has lost to Shimabukuro.
Taboyoyong is like a roller coaster. Some guys don't seem like they can wrestle with him, while others he doesn't seem to fair very well against. Must be a weird feel.
Thorton was a state placer(4th) but got eliminated in 2nd rnd consolation to Moanalua backup Wang. He will have Shigemoto in the 1st round against the Nanakuli wrestler Kaohu who has looked tough. If he wins, then he has Mckenzie in the quarters.
This weight class is a lot of fun and it seems like any one of like 7 or 8 guys have a legit chance of winning. It just relies on the match ups. Should be fun!

808WrestlingFan
High-quality H20 provider

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

talloola25 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm
FoxMulder wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 pm I like Lauifi at 285. He’s been looking good and I can’t remember the last time Waipahu had a State Champ. 126 looks to be a very good bracket as well, it looks like Sekulich will have a very tough road to the finals. Outside of that, there seems to be potential for some great matches in every weight.
Lauifi should walk to the finals unless St.Louis or Kapolei can do something about it. Branden Mina is the last one that comes to mind, but there should have been a few since then. Yeah, the ILH 2 has the better bracket position it would seem at 126. Getting excited for this tournament. It's looking to be a fun one. Hope the finals are televised!

Nitahara lost rd.1 to Buelow - 8-4 then wrestled back for 4th. Here were his results:
Beat Taboyoyong by fall
Beat Kekauoha(KSK Backup) 7-5sv1 . Kekauoha also gave Esperanza his first loss of the tournament
Lost to Shigemoto 5-4
Sekulich won the tournament. All wins by fall except in finals against Buelow. Sekulich has losses to Seson(possible quarters) and Shimabukuro(possible semis).
McKenzie finished 5th losing 2x to Shigemoto. His best win was against Mililani's backup Enrico. Also has lost to Shimabukuro.
Taboyoyong is like a roller coaster. Some guys don't seem like they can wrestle with him, while others he doesn't seem to fair very well against. Must be a weird feel.
Thorton was a state placer(4th) but got eliminated in 2nd rnd consolation to Moanalua backup Wang. He will have Shigemoto in the 1st round against the Nanakuli wrestler Kaohu who has looked tough. If he wins, then he has Mckenzie in the quarters.
This weight class is a lot of fun and it seems like any one of like 7 or 8 guys have a legit chance of winning. It just relies on the match ups. Should be fun!
You might be thinking of a different Kona kid. I dont think Thornton placed.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Beat Taboyoyong by fall
Lost to Shigemoto 5-4
You're right I think I was just looking at him because he's the league champ. I also might have mixed him up with Gantala.

808WrestlingFan

talloola25 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:46 pm
808WrestlingFan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Beat Taboyoyong by fall
Lost to Shigemoto 5-4
You're right I think I was just looking at him because he's the league champ. I also might have mixed him up with Gantala.
Gantala was 4th last year at 106. Hasn’t been great since jumping up 2 weights.

scoredtwooo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by scoredtwooo »

Didn't realize there was a place for discussion for Hawaii wrestling... I figured I should join in on the fun with states starting up tomorrow morning! I agree I think 126 might be the most entertaining bracket with a lot of different styles and very similar skill levels. Shigemoto, Shimabukoro, Seson, Sekulich, Nitahara, Lindsey, Esperanza, Tabayoyong, and McKenzie make for an extremely interesting bracket. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OIA rematch (Shimabukoro vs. Shigemoto), an ILH rematch (McKenzie vs. Sekulich), or other upsets leading to different finalists. But it's hard to make a prediction with very evenly-matched opposition.

138 will be interesting with Baptista, H. Paaluhi, Woolsey, Sekigawa, Amerson, and Taam in the mix, Taam had a much closer match than I anticipated at OIA's, could be something to think about :lol:
145 will probably be pretty interesting by the semis, where we would probably see Kaaialii vs Porter, Grilho vs Cobb-Adams, and then the winner of those.
152 Goeas vs Mercado vs Erolin gonna have a lot of fun stylistically.
285 could be exciting, big matches happening early on
Girls' matches are gonna be fun to watch too, possibly Uyemura vs Realin at 127 (both placed 2nd last year), E. Woolsey and Medeiros-Mai(sc) at 132, and Eckart(sc) vs. Kwan would be fun at 138. The team race should be competitive at least on the boys' side as well. Have to say Kamehameha is a strong favorite though. Definitely a lot to look forward to.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

scoredtwooo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:37 pm Didn't realize there was a place for discussion for Hawaii wrestling... I figured I should join in on the fun with states starting up tomorrow morning! I agree I think 126 might be the most entertaining bracket with a lot of different styles and very similar skill levels. Shigemoto, Shimabukoro, Seson, Sekulich, Nitahara, Lindsey, Esperanza, Tabayoyong, and McKenzie make for an extremely interesting bracket. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OIA rematch (Shimabukoro vs. Shigemoto), an ILH rematch (McKenzie vs. Sekulich), or other upsets leading to different finalists. But it's hard to make a prediction with very evenly-matched opposition.

138 will be interesting with Baptista, H. Paaluhi, Woolsey, Sekigawa, Amerson, and Taam in the mix, Taam had a much closer match than I anticipated at OIA's, could be something to think about :lol:
145 will probably be pretty interesting by the semis, where we would probably see Kaaialii vs Porter, Grilho vs Cobb-Adams, and then the winner of those.
Girls' matches are gonna be fun to watch too, possibly Uyemura vs Realin at 127 (both placed 2nd last year), E. Woolsey and Medeiros-Mai(sc) at 132, and Eckart(sc) vs. Kwan would be fun at 138. The team race should be competitive at least on the boys' side as well. Have to say Kamehameha is a strong favorite though. Definitely a lot to look forward to.
@scoredtwooo:

I'd like to "unretire" on this message-board again.

I thought Moanalua was the strong favorite for the girls?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:17 pm
scoredtwooo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:37 pm Didn't realize there was a place for discussion for Hawaii wrestling... I figured I should join in on the fun with states starting up tomorrow morning! I agree I think 126 might be the most entertaining bracket with a lot of different styles and very similar skill levels. Shigemoto, Shimabukoro, Seson, Sekulich, Nitahara, Lindsey, Esperanza, Tabayoyong, and McKenzie make for an extremely interesting bracket. I wouldn't be surprised to see an OIA rematch (Shimabukoro vs. Shigemoto), an ILH rematch (McKenzie vs. Sekulich), or other upsets leading to different finalists. But it's hard to make a prediction with very evenly-matched opposition.

@scoredtwooo:

I'd like to "unretire" on this message-board again.

I thought Moanalua was the strong favorite for the girls?
You're correct, Moanalua is definitely the team to beat and no one is close. Lahaina and Kahuku have great quality, but not the numbers. Kamehameha almost have the numbers(only 12/14) but they're quality isn't on Moanaluas level this year. They might place 13 of 14. Which is insane.
I think he was trying to say that he thought Kamehameha was a strong boys favorite though. I think they are the favorite because of numbers and decent quality, but not sure about "strong". Tournaments are more about top end quality than about numbers. It should be interesting for sure.

FoxMulder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FoxMulder »

So first day pau. Any surprises you folks saw? Any semi matches we looking forward to or even in the blood round? I did see beulow and pasion at 132, crazy that one of them won’t be placing.

808WrestlingFan

FoxMulder wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:52 pm So first day pau. Any surprises you folks saw? Any semi matches we looking forward to or even in the blood round? I did see beulow and pasion at 132, crazy that one of them won’t be placing.
Biggest surprise, Salter losing to a fishtail and then getting knocked out of the tournament (maybe shoulda taken that 3rd seed) I got hyped up thinking he was gonna make a run. Thought frias would make semis. Shimabukoro too. This tournament is always crazy.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:31 pm
FoxMulder wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:52 pm So first day pau. Any surprises you folks saw? Any semi matches we looking forward to or even in the blood round? I did see beulow and pasion at 132, crazy that one of them won’t be placing.
Biggest surprise, Salter losing to a fishtail and then getting knocked out of the tournament (maybe shoulda taken that 3rd seed) I got hyped up thinking he was gonna make a run. Thought frias would make semis. Shimabukoro too. This tournament is always crazy.
Should have... Looked like his legs weren't there. It was weird. That's the hard part about wrestling sometimes. Who's hurt the least going into post season. Shimabukuro not finishing shots again.
Kaaialii just beat Porter... By fall after controlling the match
Diesel beating Frias was a surprise to me.
Goeas dominating Mercado 9-1
Simmons beating Honbo and eliminating Wailehua
Kwan going down
Anything else you saw? There's so much going on

808WrestlingFan

Congratulations to Kapolei boys and Moanalua girls. OIA still on top 🙌🏼. What an awesome state tournament.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

That was a fun couple of days. I'm glad the finals were able to be televised. Looking forward to rewatching a couple. A tight team race up until the finals for the boys and a dominating performance by the Moanalua girls.
Even though it was one sided, I thoroughly enjoyed the 170 finals. I always enjoy "revenge" match stories. Also happened at 145 and 152. Was hoping 106, 182 and 195 would play out that way as well, with them avenging their only season losses. Opponents proved too much for them though.
At 113 and 113 I didn't really see a route to victory for either of the runner ups. 126,132, 138, and 285 I thought were in the balance and could go either way. I was excited to see how the 160 final would go down and it didn't disappoint.
Which finals or other matches got you excited? Most outstanding wrestler? Boys and girls side?

Sandybeachrat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Sandybeachrat »

Agree 100% This was a fantastic State Wrestling Tournament! Congratulations to all of the student-athletes that medaled this year!