What is your reaction to the fake punt in the Nevada game?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

UH is up 21-13. 1:40 remaining in the first half, and it's 4th and 15 at UH's 23 yard line. Shipley fields the snap and fakes the punts, and runs up the middle for an 18 yard gain.

The play, the call, and the timing of the fake punt has raised the question if it's the right call?

Most coaches, I think, would play conventional, textbook and the percentages and punted the ball. But if Changs/special teams coach's philosophy is to take a calculated risk here where the rewards incites his players, fans (did you see how excited the student section was on that play), develops a culture of being aggressive and unpredictable and turns a season around then I like the call. If the play had failed I would still like the call, only because I respect that the ST coach had processed the Intel/Shipley's running ability and was likely familiar with Nevada's special teams having coached at Nevada last season.

UH is the underdog. So I respect that Chang, is the David to the Goliath's, and has to have a Trojan Horse and be Machivelian.
(Last I looked UH is a 5.5 dog to CSU).

Three other times in this game, Chang went for it on fourth down. Once it was 4th and 6 at Nevada's 30 yard line (instead of trying for a FG). Sure there's risk, but the rewards here are that each conversion (4 for 4 on 4th downs) demoralized the opponent and can have an effect on the opponents game. 😃

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: What is your reaction to the fake punt in the Nevada game?

Post by Irse »

It worked so fine.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It demonstrates to me that the coaches are in the game and that they have the players prepared. Was there risk? Yes. Was it a calculated risk? Yes. The special teams coach must have seen how Navada’s coverage team was lining up and how they were rushing and dropping back. Based on what he saw he must have drawn up the play and worked with the special team when they were off the field. I am sure he reviewed it with Chang and Chang had the final say. The field position made the fake unexpected. The punt coverage was right side heavy. All they had to do was block the right side and kick out the defender on the left side and there was a freeway on the left side. There is always a risk but in this case it was calculated and the odds of success was very good. Good coaching, good drawn up play and better execution.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Fans used to call JJ a riverboat gambler. I like that TC has some of that in him too. Although the resulting first down did not get them any points, this should make future opponents have to think about possible fakes, practice for potential fakes, play for potential fakes, and thus mitigate their punt return game by changing their blocking scheme.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I think coach had said it was possible that they would do it because punter was fast but I did not expect him to call it so deep in their territory. Faked me out. Good call.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

shipley is one of the fastest players on the team.a fake punt is automatic.the question is how many times can we take advantage it this year.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

no one expected a fake punt inside your own 25 yard line with 15 to go for the first down. no one. future opponents will have to hold their linemen at the scrimmage line longer now until the punt is kicked giving coverage time to get downfield and get to the ball. watched from the ewa end zone and wondered how the line opened up such a huge hole for shipley to run through untouched. knew he wouldn't run on the next punt, but wondered if he would pass. maybe saving it for another game.