Solid win …

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Solid win …

Post by UnBiasFan »

We are improving…. This is all we want. Progress …

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Re: Solid win …

Post by daddy »

Honestly wasn't sure we were gonna see another one after Duquesne. Nice win!

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Best team performance so far this season. There were still some penalties and it’s still a lot of improvement left but I like the progression of this team. That fake punt though was ballsy. Aggressive!!!!!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Unko Timmy is tuning the team in, which is promising. He should have stuck with his gut and installed the RnS earlier on and Yoro should have tinkered with the harder hitting safeties and attacking front 7 much earlier. However, better late than never and happy with the win.

Can we use Finau at RB for short yardage? He was a great rugby player and trucked everyone. Other options - Mauasau or Baby Taala.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I like what we are doing Implementing the R&S better uses our current talent. It also opens up the running game that we always had. Without a passing game teams could stack the box and stop our running game. This is truly what the Run and Shoot was designed to look like. It is all about taking what the D gives you. If you stack the box you pass to one of the five receivers (yes five, all of our backs can run routes and catch). If they rush three and drop eight you gash them with the run, Parson’s is a tough runner with speed that can beat DLs and LBs. we don’t need a big back with no speed. Too predictable and limits our O. I like strong backs, with good speed that can catch the ball and beat LBs in space All of our current backs have those skills.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The take aways I have from the past 2 games SDSU and Nevada:

Improvement noted again this week, not just because they won. The Hawaii Warriors is actually playing like Warriors! This team is attacking in all 3 phases of the game. It took Timmy longer than most of expected to bring back the RnS concepts but it's worth it to see the team play with purpose and identity. Now they team knows it mission and how it's going to accomplish it, there is a gameplan and identity. The attacking RnS Hawaii Football let's see if you can stop us airing it out and if you slip up Hawaii will run all over you swag and fun is beginning to return to the team. This is contagious and is spreading throughout the Hawaii program.

The Defense is attacking as well, the secondary played better than expected. Everyone knew Nevada is going to run the ball, which leaves the DB's on an island most of the time. Even in zone coverage or mixed zone coverage the DB's are left to fend for themselves when trying to stop the run game.

While Halvorsen has the bigger leg, Matthew Shipley is still the team MVP so far this season. The punter has the final decision whether to run or punt on a fake punt and the walnuts on Shipley to pull the ball down and take off running deep in his own territory are humongous. Jeez, but Shipley can scoot.

Got to clean up the penalties, ask Alabama about the 17 penalties in the loss against Tennessee yesterday.

I agree with Timmy the running game will have to keep Hawaii offense in the game, until Schager and WR/TE get in sync on the intermediate routes. I saw the speed option yesterday and I had a tear in my eye, but enough giddiness from me about this. I know it's a lot for Schager and the WR/TE to learn, it's like drinking water from a fire hose! But they are going to have to put in the extra work to get on the same page, Schager always had a big arm and throws a pretty ball. Thats never been an issue for him, it's the decision making and the mobility.

Schager can run the RnS because the system doesn't require athletic dual threat QB. It's a luxury to have a dual threat QB for the RnS but not a requirement. Not to compare Schager to the Hawaii legend Colt, but I remember Colt Brennan getting chased down by D-Lineman as well. It's more about what's between the ears and in the heart, and it couldn't hurt to see him scoot when the defense leaves him a wide-open field.

Unlike SDSU who had a converted QB and WR/TE that could actually utilize that passing game. Nevada tried to pass the ball, but they just don't have the horses to run that race yet. Which was good for Hawaii last night, but Colorado State does have the horses for the passing game. We all know Colorado State wants to run the ball just like SDSU and Nevada. But this is a road game in altitude, against a former head coach and CSU can pass when they have too.

After Colorado State game the schedule gets tougher and that's when we will see how the much of the improvements are made.
Last edited by WarriorTyme on Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 pm We are improving…. This is all we want. Progress …
Agreed. Enjoy this one then on to Ft. Collins.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Offense is making improvements, but still quite a long way to go to meet most fan's expectations. QB and receivers not all on the same page yet.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:16 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 pm We are improving…. This is all we want. Progress …
I agree. Nice to see so much improvement. Run blocking and defensive line making plays. Linebackers filling. Sooo many players making plays. Can’t wait to see the next game. Go Warriors!
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:03 am

Schager can run the RnS because the system doesn't require athletic dual threat QB. It's a luxury to have a dual threat QB for the RnS but not a requirement. Not to compare Schager to the Hawaii legend Colt, but I remember Colt Brennan getting chased down by D-Lineman as well. It's more about what's between the ears and in the heart, and it couldn't hurt to see him scoot when the defense leaves him a wide-open field.

Cordeiro also grew better legs as time goes on. Same can happen with Schager.

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:16 am
Should be small fav's against the Rams.

Just looked it up and Warriors are 5 point favorites. Rams will run the ball with Avery Marrow with their passing game in the dumpster.
Last edited by Shoko on Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

An exciting, butt tightening game until the end win. Just need to continue with the team improvements and hopefully the Warriors can get a couple more wins.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Nevada's team returned 22% of its production from a season ago. UH 27%. Nevada has lost 5 straight with wins over New Mexico State and Texas State. As one Reno sportswriter/Murray wrote this Nevada team has no discernible strengths, ranking poorly in almost every statistical category and have now lost to two teams on consecutive weekends that ranked nationally in the bottom 10. So the way I look at it UH played its twin. Happy? Yes. Chang got his first FBS win and the team has some momentum going into the CSU game and are still in the MWC race. So in that regard it is a solid win.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Much better to beat Nevada, than to lose to Nevada, eh?