The bright spots of the team

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

The bright spots of the team

Post by ton15t4k »

The best bright spot I have seen so far is the secondary. Hausmann, Edwards, Nelson, Meki, Makaula have played somewhat average for normal standards but are a bright spot considering our current situation. The changes in the lineups have definitely helped.

The front seven continues to struggle and I'm not sure if there are any other underclasssmen or players that can step up. Hoohuli is the only underclassman that comes to mind in the front seven. Otherwise, I think this front 7 with nearly all seniors will perform the same and continue to struggle.

The strength of our offense are the running backs but our o-line has not given them the space they need. The offense has been horrible but the inclusion of Run and Shoot elements looks promising since the NMST game. We are moving away from our biggest strength, our running backs. But in the long run, the passing game will help us. We finally have our starting qb in Brayden. Vanterpool and Manning have performed okay all season, the rest of the o-line just needs to step up. Bowen is the only receiver I think that is ready to start but with more reps and time, our passing game will start to click by the latter end of the season.

The Hawaii football team will continue to lose, but if the passing game starts to click, you never know how things will end. I think best case scenario is a 3 win season (Utah State and CSU) but we are very likely going 1-12. Thoughts?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: The bright spots of the team

Post by cabanalane »

Timmy Chang is back. That's the "bright spot."

I wanted Rolo back. And then he left. I also want Kenny Niumatalolo back. No chance.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Caleb Phillips has been looking good as well if Im correct he had something like 8 catches for 138 yards agains NMS

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The player that grades the highest on the team is #52, Evaimalo. In 5 games he's been in on140 plays and grades a cumulative defensive grade of 82.3 according to pff.com. His run defense grade is 85.5. Overall he's has 10 tackles. The bright spot is that Evaimalo is improving and has 3 more years to play (?).

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am Timmy Chang is back. That's the "bright spot."

I wanted Rolo back. And then he left. I also want Kenny Niumatalolo back. No chance.
I'd like Dave Aranda back please. On the other hand, maybe he'd have missed out on finding that golden ticket. I think he may be the most successful former coordinator to have served the Warriors. Kenny is an awesome coach, but he'll never win a national championship. Wait, he's also number 9 on the coaches hot seat. https://coacheshotseat.com/

There are lots of bright spots on the team. The coaches gotta fix the machine and make it work again. I've always liked Dedrick, Blessman, and Penei. I'm a new fan of Edwards. I admit, I haven't been able to watch a game this year. How is Lelie? Is he related the great one? He seems to be doing well.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:55 pm
cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am Timmy Chang is back. That's the "bright spot."

I'd like Dave Aranda back please. On the other hand, maybe he'd have missed out on finding that golden ticket. I think he may be the most successful former coordinator to have served the Warriors. Kenny is an awesome coach, but he'll never win a national championship. Wait, he's also number 9 on the coaches hot seat. https://coacheshotseat.com/
I'm not sure why Niumatalolo is on the list. OK, so he was 0-2 off the gate, so everyone panic? Now he is 1-2. OK, still early, but I don't see how that's worthy of being Top 10 on the hot seat. Overall he won 65% of his games, the "experts" need to cut him some slack.

Notre Dame wanted him, with more $$$, etc, but he is loyal to Navy. (Or maybe is not a good idea to be a Mormon and coach at the Catholic college.)

Just wondering for the OGs. Do you guys wonder if Fred Von Appen had a hard time because the players he had were all from the Bob Wagner era, meaning the players at the time were recruited to run the Triple Option?

st808_
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by st808_ »

just wish the snapper and quarterback would coordinate on a signal to hike the ball immediately rather than wait for the planned snap count when opposing teams are caught with 12 or more players on the field or when the opposing team is not lined up and the play clock is counting down. seems to be an easy five yards and a free play. after all, if you line up early in a no huddle offense, shouldn't you take advantage of these situations?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:55 pm

There are lots of bright spots on the team. The coaches gotta fix the machine and make it work again. I've always liked Dedrick, Blessman, and Penei. I'm a new fan of Edwards. I admit, I haven't been able to watch a game this year. How is Lelie? Is he related the great one? He seems to be doing well.
NASJZAÉ BRYANT-LELEI?

Wrong spelling of the second part of the hyphenated last name.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Nasjzae Bryant grades the highest on offensive side of the ball with a grade of 76.9 on 86 plays in 5 games. Parson grades a 64.0 on a 193 plays. The player that should be contending for a starting job is Kolby Wyatt at DE with a defensive grade of 75.4 on 70 plays. The other DE's/Soli-61/Welsh-60/Choi-56. I even heard the radio broadcaster/JV say "Why is Kolby Wyatt on the bench." The player that I think is steadily improving is Hopp at RT. Against Duq and NMST Hopp graded 83 and 68 for PBLK, which slightly higher than earlier in the season. Currently Hopp grades a 58.0 in PBLK has allowed 1 sack, 2 hits, 12 hurries, and 15 pressures, which are terrible stats numbers-however I just have a hunch Hopp will improve even more.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:31 am
NASJZAÉ BRYANT-LELEI?

Wrong spelling of the second part of the hyphenated last name.
Just wondering what's his Poly connection.

I'm 10% Poly as DNA test told me. But I still get "go back to China" a few times before.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Matthew Shipley is the only bright spot; he is the best player on the team. Everyone else is not even close to as clutch or consistent as Shipley.