Chang Brought Back The Run And Shoot Last Game

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Chang Brought Back The Run And Shoot Last Game

Post by ton15t4k »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/09/ ... s-promise/

That might explain the offense passing being better. Let's stick with Brayden and use our tight ends and running backs in the passing game. We lack depth at wide receiver but I feel our tight ends and running backs can make up some of that.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Chang Brought Back The Run And Shoot Last Game

Post by cabanalane »

FYI, need login to read it.

So I wonder what the discussion was like at the coaches only meeting...

Did T-Chang forced his way?

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Are you kidding me? JJ must be depressed with them comparing that trash of playcalling from last week with the offense he ran. JJs scheme exploited voids in the defense, which led WRs seemingly to be wide open.

Why the hell would you wait until week 4 to install the RnS? Seems fishy. Did TC realize that FBS playbook doesn't work at this level? Might as well air it out if the OL can't block and D can't tackle.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:53 am Why the hell would you wait until week 4 to install the RnS? Seems fishy. Did TC realize that FBS playbook doesn't work at this level?
Agree with everything you said. Guessing here that he deferred to the successful OC that he on-boarded, but Shoe's tried-and-true came where you had equal or better talent vs. opponent, and that's becoming evident now. Chow syndrome.

Also, when most of the coaches are first-time to D1 college, all the players are going to seem stronger, faster, better and ready for prime time - especially in pre-season scrimmaging against self. Reality bites.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Fortunately there is a bye this weekend for the injured players to heal up a bit, and for the offense to get more reps with the run and shoot. This offense was always going to be a work in-progress, and more so now with putting in more run and shoot.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

and just like that the R&S was brought back????? I don't think so. Wishful thinking. It takes awhile for receivers, OL and QB to get on the same page. Most of the receivers and definitely the QBs never played in the R&S. It takes a minimum of a full spring or fall practice to get the basics down and in most cases it takes 1-2 years. It takes repetition and you don't get repetition in one week. I believe the only receivers with any R&S experience would have been Panoke form HS and Philips under Rolovich.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:02 am and just like that the R&S was brought back????? I don't think so. Wishful thinking. It takes awhile for receivers, OL and QB to get on the same page. Most of the receivers and definitely the QBs never played in the R&S. It takes a minimum of a full spring or fall practice to get the basics down and in most cases it takes 1-2 years. It takes repetition and you don't get repetition in one week. I believe the only receivers with any R&S experience would have been Panoke form HS and Philips under Rolovich.
And Nishigaya.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don’t think he was cleared to play against NMSU.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:09 am
TheDuke wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:02 am and just like that the R&S was brought back????? I don't think so. Wishful thinking. It takes awhile for receivers, OL and QB to get on the same page. Most of the receivers and definitely the QBs never played in the R&S. It takes a minimum of a full spring or fall practice to get the basics down and in most cases it takes 1-2 years. It takes repetition and you don't get repetition in one week. I believe the only receivers with any R&S experience would have been Panoke form HS and Philips under Rolovich.
And Nishigaya.
Watched him play at St Louis. Seemed to always find a hole in the defense. Playmaker.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

YES, elements of the R&S is back. Still a work in progress. You can see where the WRs still don't know when to break the route and settle down in space and the seams. It will get better as the season progresses and they will make mistakes. The R&S gives receivers and QBs a reason to come to Hawaii. What will make it special is a good running game and backs with speed that can catch the ball. I like what I saw against San Diego.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The RNS will work with a good QB that can throw down field. BS is not a good QB. In the SDST game 24 of his 34 passes attempts were less than 10 yard. Eight pass attempts were behind the line of scrimmage. He was 1-6 on passes of 20+yards and 3-4 on passes of 10+yards. BS hit ZERO passes 10+yards wide left or wide right. In other words the RNS prospers when the QB stretches the field both vertical and horizontal. Against SDST BS stretched the line scrimmage and the long throw to Bowens. I remember watching his HS tapes and remember seeing a gunslinger that would sling the ball downfield-I'm not seeing it (the consistency, accuracy)on his throws and question if his arm/shoulder is injured. Against NMST BS passing graded 67, against SDST 64.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:19 am The RNS will work with a good QB that can throw down field. BS is not a good QB. In the SDST game 24 of his 34 passes attempts were less than 10 yard. Eight pass attempts were behind the line of scrimmage. He was 1-6 on passes of 20+yards and 3-4 on passes of 10+yards. BS hit ZERO passes 10+yards wide left or wide right. In other words the RNS prospers when the QB stretches the field both vertical and horizontal. Against SDST BS stretched the line scrimmage and the long throw to Bowens. I remember watching his HS tapes and remember seeing a gunslinger that would sling the ball downfield-I'm not seeing it (the consistency, accuracy)on his throws and question if his arm/shoulder is injured. Against NMST BS passing graded 67, against SDST 64.
That's because the R&S as implemented do not have experienced QBs and WRs in the system. Both positions are still inexperienced. Receivers and QBs aren't on the same page thus plays for now are very conservative. If you try to do too much and the wrong reads are made there will be interceptions. TC knows this all to well.

I liked what I saw and things will improve. They did enough to win this game.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

When the reply zoom out, it looks like some of the WRs ran their routes, stopped, stand there, and watch the QB get sacked. Should they be constantly running? The QB could sacrifice the body to make that throw. There were a few times it looks like BS was throwing to "nobody."

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I'm going to temper my excitement from the positives I saw last night from the Hawaii Warriors:

#1. Hawaii had an advantage of 2 weeks to get ready for SDSU with the Bye Week. It's always been the coaches that are the weakness of this year's team not the young men on the roster. Let's see if the coaches can replicate that type gameplan from now on every week. I think we can put to bed the talent on the Hawaii roster is not FBS level talent. Because these young men are FBS level talent and are ready to kick okole. They just needed the coaches to have them in the correct Alignment and Assignment.

#2. The Hawaii team has got it's RnS identity back, this was long overdue! Everyone knows Hawaii Football is the RnS and Hawaii doesn't apologize about the repeated air assault tossing the ball around the yard. If you paid attention Timmy was intense but was actually having fun because the RnS is in his DNA. The RnS was the base offense with a mix of Shoemakers plays, this will take some time to execute at a high level, but the Hawaii offense is headed in the right direction. Schager can run this offense, but still needs take advantage and scoot for the first down when it's open field in front of him.

#3. The Hawaii defense was attacking last night, and they stopped the run! The secondary got torched last night by the converted SDSU Safety to QB 4th string or it is 5th string QB. Got to give him credit he played well for someone who was on SDSU Defense last week. While I saw improvement by the Hawaii defense, I'm going to have to see how they play with no bye week for aid in preparation. Nevada is game 7 the defense coaches should have the Hawaii defense way ahead of the Hawaii Offense by this point.

#4 Once again, Matthew Shipley is the MVP of this team. I was told that Halverson is more talented than Shipley but last night kick off out of bounds. Gave SDSU the ball at the 35-yard line showed that Halverson is not as clutch/consistent as Shipley in game situations. That will come in time, with more game time reps, after Shipley grads.

While there is no moral victory with any loss. It's time to see if Timmy and his coaching staff can replicate this improvement week by week.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A "new" offense that is tough to learn when you have a quarterback and almost all of the receivers who never played in the run and shoot = results in growing pains. Schager needs to grow into the role quickly as he stares down his primary receiver and yet still delivers the ball late. Rolo and Colt each took about a year to learn the system so patience from Warrior fans is paramount.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.