Why is the run defense so bad?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Why is the run defense so bad?

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:26 am Muasau is the missing key to the defense this year. Without him, we have been rudderless. He has been a game changer at UCLA --as he was here. You can crunch all the performance stats, but they can't account for leadership. Our defense was great under TG with Muasau's leadership. Our defense is still pretty good, but our offense is still in transition...thanks to Chevan.

The greatest defensive mind to be dismissed by Hawaii was neither McMackin nor Graham, but Aranda. The Bears netted an ungodly amount of interceptions against all of Texas Tech's qb's this past week.
You left out Bob Wagner.

Agree with what you said other than I think Brayden Schager would have done better under Todd Graham. He looked promising/good last year. He looks horrible this year. The offense just does not fit him or something is not right. If Ikaika Woolsey was a C+ QB, Schager would be a F now. I know everyone loves RNS, but maybe implementing it after the start of the season was a bad idea. Shoemaker had a plan (He has 20+ years of experience). He knows what he is doing. Loose a few games, and everyone is shouting RNS, RNS, RNS.

Going back to the other reply about "localism." Whenever Cole McDonald throws an interception, fans want to see Cheven Cordeiro. Offense not clicking, then RNS must be the answer.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Right now it isn’t about Shaeger. No QB that hasn’t been in the R&S for a minimum of 1 year and an optimum of two years would perform well. If the QB and all 4 WRs aren’t on the same page on every play the odds of pass efficiency will not be optimum. Everyone will point at the QB even if the receivers are making the wrong reads. To Shaegers credit I am surprised there aren’t more interceptions.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:56 am You left out Bob Wagner.
Agree with what you said other than I think Brayden Schager would have done better under Todd Graham. He looked promising/good last year. He looks horrible this year. T
Agree with adding Wags to that list of defensive minds dismissed by UH.

I also was excited about seeing Schager start based on what he showed last year. But that was with Mardner, Turner and Smart as receivers, and DaeDae in the backfield. I think last year's receivers in properly trained R&S with Schager would be better than what Graham Jr. served up.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:56 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:26 am Muasau is the missing key to the defense this year. Without him, we have been rudderless. He has been a game changer at UCLA --as he was here. You can crunch all the performance stats, but they can't account for leadership. Our defense was great under TG with Muasau's leadership. Our defense is still pretty good, but our offense is still in transition...thanks to Chevan.

The greatest defensive mind to be dismissed by Hawaii was neither McMackin nor Graham, but Aranda. The Bears netted an ungodly amount of interceptions against all of Texas Tech's qb's this past week.
You left out Bob Wagner.

Agree with what you said other than I think Brayden Schager would have done better under Todd Graham. He looked promising/good last year. He looks horrible this year. The offense just does not fit him or something is not right. If Ikaika Woolsey was a C+ QB, Schager would be a F now. I know everyone loves RNS, but maybe implementing it after the start of the season was a bad idea. Shoemaker had a plan (He has 20+ years of experience). He knows what he is doing. Loose a few games, and everyone is shouting RNS, RNS, RNS.

Going back to the other reply about "localism." Whenever Cole McDonald throws an interception, fans want to see Cheven Cordeiro. Offense not clicking, then RNS must be the answer.
I agree with you Schager would have done better under Todd Graham. Schager was recruited for Todd & Bo Graham offense scheme. Let's be honest Timmy and Shoemaker don't have the head coaching experience of Todd Graham either. Chevan did good adjusting to Todd & Bo Graham offense scheme and they made and won some bowl games. Chevan did good adjusting to SJSU Offense scheme too this season. Chevan has had the advantage of changing offense schemes with experience head coaches and is better QB than what we have on the roster. We all saw how Shoemakers offense performed in the first 4 games and nobody was impressed, it was obvious the team had no identity with it's no identity offense.

Implementing the RnS will give Hawaii back it's identity and it's Timmy's bread and butter Offensive selling point to recruits. Timmy will have a better chance to convince recruits because he was known as a record breaking RnS QB at Hawaii, that is running the RnS as a Head Coach at Hawaii.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Agree that the HC's name by itself as the record setting QB will help recruiting. BTW, did anyone recall that the name Timmy Chang was mentioned in one of the CSI episodes? It was a sceene where kids were playing football video game at the arcade as the camera pan over, and one kid said something like TD like so and so, forget the name. The other kid said "Nah, touch down like Timmy Chang.." This was when Chang had all the records (and was OMG status), before some of the records were shortly broken by someone else.

You guys know better, are they even running RNS routes?

Chang hired Shoemaker to run the offense. Chang can't be both the HC and OC. Have Shoemaker done any interviews? Shoemaker has not rage quit so maybe Chang is managing this properly, to save face. But the bottom line is the passing offense is still broken.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

On some of those long runs by Wyoming, there was a glaring gap in the second level with no defender covering the middle of the field as the linebackers were spread elsewhere. Or the middle linebacker was blocked by an O lineman who got to the second level, which means that the D line did not occupy enough O linemen or the linebackers couldn't get off their blocker. Wyoming was the team that was supposed to have been fatigued due to the long flight and time zone change with a late game (4 hour time difference means the game started at 10:00 pm Mountain Time). But with UH's offense being futless, the defense met their doom.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.