Why is the run defense so bad?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Why is the run defense so bad?

Post by ton15t4k »

NMSU ran for 357 yards against Hawaii but ran for less than 50 yards against Minnesota a few weeks ago. I didn't get to watch the NMSU game. Who was more at fault, the d-line or linebackers?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Why is the run defense so bad?

Post by cabanalane »

I'm a fan of 4-3 defense. But will say it's the coach's fault.

When Rolo ran with 3-4, he sometimes would have Kaimana Padello at the line to rush in. I kind of like to see that again (not saying the LB don't rush to have the same net effect.)

The wall is bigger with 4 guys on the line. IMO, I would start there and build around it.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Personnel, Personnel, Personnel. When you have a largely unproven defensive line and linebacker corps, other teams will run for 300. Not to mention that most of them hover between 240 and 280lbs. Our defensive line does not exist for the most part as most offensive lines have blown them backwards each and every game. Linebackers are also quite average. We simply do not have the proven personnel right now. They need to hit the weightroom and eat! WE need some beef, strength and speed. These positions, along with WR should be a recruiting priority in the off season.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

This part is going to sound wrong, but this is football. I'm all for local first. "Give the local guys a chance." That's all good for PR.

Let's face it. Hawaii's best will go away. Just like they will choose Stanford over UH in academics. Last I check on math, 1+2 still = 3. So some would say it does not matter, but it does.

So what is left are guys that look great going against 140lbs-160lbs guys in high school.

We need to recruit mainland first. Meaning "best" players available. Then fill the gap with local players. Local players can shine "better" in these situations when mixed in. Not the other way around IMO.

There is only one Marcus, Tua, and Teo. The rest are "Chevan Cordeiro" caliber type of players.

I felt there was a "local first players first" type of pressure during the Rolo era. There were pressure to start and recruit local players. I think that ties the coaches hands, and not good for Hawaii football.

University of Arizona will select players from Tucson, Arizona, but there is no external pressure from the community or fan base to select local Tucson, AZ high school players. It's about selecting the best players.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:13 pm This part is going to sound wrong, but this is football. I'm all for local first. "Give the local guys a chance." That's all good for PR.

Let's face it. Hawaii's best will go away. Just like they will choose Stanford over UH in academics. Last I check on math, 1+2 still = 3. So some would say it does not matter, but it does.

So what is left are guys that look great going against 140lbs-160lbs guys in high school.

We need to recruit mainland first. Meaning "best" players available. Then fill the gap with local players. Local players can shine "better" in these situations when mixed in. Not the other way around IMO.

There is only one Marcus, Tua, and Teo. The rest are "Chevan Cordeiro" caliber type of players.

I felt there was a "local first players first" type of pressure during the Rolo era. There were pressure to start and recruit local players. I think that ties the coaches hands, and not good for Hawaii football.

University of Arizona will select players from Tucson, Arizona, but there is no external pressure from the community or fan base to select local Tucson, AZ high school players. It's about selecting the best players.
Every team in college FB targets their backyard for recruiting. The best players do leave the rock, but there are many examples of great kids staying home.

I'm all for best available. However, you are kidding yourself to target only mainland kids. Hawai'i is unique in the US...we are the most isolated place in the world and having the equally unique culture/environment and connection with family unlike anywhere on the mainland, which needs local kids to build this culture. This is Hawai'i and not So Cal Jr.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by truewarriorfan »

Why are we “The Fans” worried about run defense! We have a pipeline to Bishop Gorman. Also if you’re a defensive coordinator why wouldn’t you make adjustments at Halftime? NMSU runs the ball if you watch the tape from NMSU previous games. I’m no Defensive coordinator I’m just a silly Attorney who deals with contracts. But why wouldn’t we stack the box and force them to pass something NMSU is not very good at. But don’t worry about minor details like the run defense since we have a pipeline now. Yay!!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It's all about speed. No speed at LB. Teams just need to stretch the field horizontally and the LBs can't get in position to make tackles. That's why you are seeing missed tackles, no speed. The DLs job is to stuff gaps for LBs to make plays. The LBs are too slow to make plays. I don't care where you recruit from. In general players from Hawaii don't have comparable speed. Those that do leave the islands. Muasau was an exception. He had some speed.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Pavihi grades a 35.5 at run defense after five games this season. Of all the graded LB's in FBS Pavihi ranks 813 according to pff.com. What's worse he's terrible in pass coverage, too. His poor play is bringing the defense down. Pavihi the Solo Vaipulu twin, where both players were hyped by the coaches and media during their careers. But have failed miserably.

truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by truewarriorfan »

Tufuga isn’t that good also. Just saying. But hey we have a pipeline to Bishop Gorman.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Pavihi is a great linebacker...only not with this defense, this year. Although that pick 6 was kinda sick. He had a monster year as a sophomore for Rolovich's last successful season.

Tufaga had three starts at Oregon State as a true freshman. After transferring, he's red shirted and been a back up for UH.

When the system is broken, everybody looks bad. This is a team sport, isn't it?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Game just seems too fast for some players right now. I can tell that they are really trying and playing hard. We don’t seem to have the depth that we need to be a good team. There is a huge drop-off when 1st teamers aren’t in there. Some can be attributed to lack of PT at this level. Coaches have had to try and fix so many things that it must be driving them nuts. It is just too bad that we lost so many leaders which I feel could have made a difference. The real season for me starts after the bye. I feel that the coaches should know by now who should be on the field and what they want to do scheme wise.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Maybe the worst Hawaii defense in modern era?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:07 am Maybe the worst Hawaii defense in modern era?
It's hard to beat Von Appen's 0/12 record in 1998. He managed to win 5 games over 3 years. Chow did a little better in fostering a 2nd worst team by winning only 10 games over 4 years. I like this defense, but Muasau was a major catalyst that is missing. I brushed off his departure in earlier posts, but he made this defense work. Something is definitely wrong this year, but I would not call this the worst offense of 'modern times'.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:40 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:07 am Maybe the worst Hawaii defense in modern era?
It's hard to beat Von Appen's 0/12 record in 1998. He managed to win 5 games over 3 years. Chow did a little better in fostering a 2nd worst team by winning only 10 games over 4 years. I like this defense, but Muasau was a major catalyst that is missing. I brushed off his departure in earlier posts, but he made this defense work. Something is definitely wrong this year, but I would not call this the worst offense of 'modern times'.
I disagree about applauding Muasau's play. Last season he lead a defense that ranked last in the MWC and had 25 mistackles. He graded in the mid 70's which is good, and I agree he had a lot of homerun tackles. But simple routine plays, and go line defense the opposing RBs ran right past him-I've seen it up close, even listened to the announcers pointing this out. Currently Muasau defensive play is grading in the mid sixties at UCLA w/zero sacks/and was credited with half tackle for loss. He's not an elite LB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:54 pm
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:13 pm This part is going to sound wrong, but this is football. I'm all for local first. "Give the local guys a chance." That's all good for PR.

Every team in college FB targets their backyard for recruiting. The best players do leave the rock, but there are many examples of great kids staying home.

I'm all for best available. However, you are kidding yourself to target only mainland kids. Hawai'i is unique in the US...we are the most isolated place in the world and having the equally unique culture/environment and connection with family unlike anywhere on the mainland, which needs local kids to build this culture. This is Hawai'i and not So Cal Jr.
A single word can often become misleading on a forum "target only mainland kids." My reply was that the focus is too much on local kids that we may not be looking or convincing kids from farther away states. Maybe I should have word it as search for the best kids, then fill the rest with local kids. If the "best" is local, sure. I just think focusing on local "first" will limit the team.

Just by feel, I think the roster does include more Hawaii players today vs before in the past. I'm sure someone will make the count and show me I'm wrong.

With all of that said, I am for giving local kids the chance. But at the same time, don't expect UH would be able to complete with the likes of a Big 10 school.