Time for the OC & DC to make some major changes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Time for the OC & DC to make some major changes

Post by BigWave96744 »

Yes we lost x amount of players to the transfer portal, but we also got some talented guy coming in. At some point we got to move forward and play with who we got.

Are we really putting the best players on the field? If so today's lost fall directly on the coaches, especially the OC and DC. At this point we look like a middle tier FCS team, players and coaches.

Our offense showed no urgency to score in the 2nd half although being down by 32 points.

I didn't watch the game, only listened, but friends I know who either watched live or on the crappy feed questioned the DC's scheme and not adjusting to stop the run.

Both OC and DC have not showed in game adjustments all season. If improvements aren't made by the end of the season maybe duties need to be reassigned.

June, Mack & Rolo changed coaches or benched players which led to success. Braddahhood is a cool slogan but shouldn't hinder changes to be made.

truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Time for the OC & DC to make some major changes

Post by truewarriorfan »

Been saying this since week 1 Yoro has no business being a coordinator. Defense has no identity. No Pass rush, poor LB play, no read or reaction, poor coverage, no tackling technique. It seems like if I speak the truth everyone says it’s the first year. We will not win another game this year. Hawaii Fans cannot be satisfied with this outcome. Let’s just get the 12th place ribbon and be happy. I’ve been a Fan of this team since I was young. Hawaii Fans deserve better until the University realizes this we will always just be mediocre.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Yeah. We can't always blame it on the lack of talent. Coaches need their share of the blame.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

It is the HC’s team and it falls on his shoulders. It is his job to demand change whether it is player personnel or O and D scheme. At the end of the day who is on the field and what we run is his decision.

The issues we have start withe position coaches. They decide who are the better players and and who should start. We are not playing our best players on either side of the ball.

On D: 1. LB play is the weak link. Too slow that attributes to poor tackling. We need more speed. 2: No pass rush from DEs or LBs (no speed).

On O: 1: it all starts at receivers. With Bowens out there is No speed, size and experience. Receivers aren’t getting open consistently. No deep threat. No vertical game. DBs can play man and can be physical with our receivers. 2: No passing game means other teams can play to load the box and shut down the run.

The players on the field dictates what you can do offensively and defensively on the field.

As mentioned by another poster RPO doesn’t call for a running QB. In RPO the QBs option is to either hand the ball off or pull it out and pass. Those are his two options. The blocking isn’t designed for him to run. QBs can only execute the plays being called, the execution of the players on the field and what the Ds do.

As a opposing DC I would stack the box to shut down the run, play physical man D on receivers and I wouldn’t be concerned about any deep threat. A running QB who can’t throw efficiently wouldn’t change anything because I already have a D stacked to stop the run.

Offensively I would attack and stretch the LBs horizontally because of the lack of speed that will create gaps and running lanes and missed tackles. When the DBs are forced to support the running game the passing game will open up.

At this stage in the season TC needs to get his best players on the field to run the O and D they have implemented. And if he doesn’t have the players to do that the season is lost.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The first words that comes to mind when I look at Jones-mature, highly intelligent, eye for talent, QB whisperer, well dressed

The first words that comes to mind when I look at Chang-immature, average intelligent, acts like a kid in a candy store, indifferent to what his image looks like/game day attire has a lot to be desired- who could also remember the big wad of gum he was chewing at introductory press conference.Do you think Jones would look that foolish?

Of the 20 or so transfer players that Chang signed this year most of those players had very little playing time from their former schools and it shows.

Jones would hunt the volley ball and basketball teams for players. He would turn offensive players into defensive players and vice versa. He probably would sign star players from the transfer portal from the FCS level. I've also been to his practices he's very strict and organized. And has coached the most players from Hawaii that played in the NFL and I doubt very much Chang accomplishes a fraction of what Jones accomplished. I can see Changs writing on the wall but people are going to say give it some time, it's only his first season. Right.

Given the choices of changing the OC/DC I much rather see them all go, including Chang.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I noticed there is no post NMSU press conference with Timmy on the UH website yet?

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

There wasn't a press conference since the Duquesne game. Something tells me Timmy might be done with press conferences, or at least not in the mood for one given the...well, ya know.

I'm curious about the mood in the locker room and the coaching staff. IF the season unfolds like it appears to be there might be exits to the staff and roster (portal); either voluntarily or forced. I'm beginning to think the portal doesn't work to your advantage when you're the new sheriff in town and you're starting with a new system (see CSU and Nevada).

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Shoko wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 am There wasn't a press conference since the Duquesne game. Something tells me Timmy might be done with press conferences, or at least not in the mood for one given the...well, ya know.

I'm curious about the mood in the locker room and the coaching staff. IF the season unfolds like it appears to be there might be exits to the staff and roster (portal); either voluntarily or forced. I'm beginning to think the portal doesn't work to your advantage when you're the new sheriff in town and you're starting with a new system (see CSU and Nevada).
At least Chow faced the music, critics. He didn't duck from the post game press conferences. He also had a weekly TV show something that Chang doesn't have.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:42 pm
Shoko wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:50 am There wasn't a press conference since the Duquesne game. Something tells me Timmy might be done with press conferences, or at least not in the mood for one given the...well, ya know.

At least Chow faced the music, critics. He didn't duck from the post game press conferences. He also had a weekly TV show something that Chang doesn't have.
Norm's famous quote, "We got to get better and we will get better"

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:56 am The first words that comes to mind when I look at Jones-mature, highly intelligent, eye for talent, QB whisperer, well dressed

The first words that comes to mind when I look at Chang-immature, average intelligent, acts like a kid in a candy store, indifferent to what his image looks like/game day attire has a lot to be desired- who could also remember the big wad of gum he was chewing at introductory press conference.Do you think Jones would look that foolish?

Of the 20 or so transfer players that Chang signed this year most of those players had very little playing time from their former schools and it shows.

Jones would hunt the volley ball and basketball teams for players. He would turn offensive players into defensive players and vice versa. He probably would sign star players from the transfer portal from the FCS level. I've also been to his practices he's very strict and organized. And has coached the most players from Hawaii that played in the NFL and I doubt very much Chang accomplishes a fraction of what Jones accomplished. I can see Changs writing on the wall but people are going to say give it some time, it's only his first season. Right.

Given the choices of changing the OC/DC I much rather see them all go, including Chang.
Next time remove JJ from your mouth before posting, holy wow the JJ riding is insane. The fact you're insulting Chang because of how he dresses shows how little of a fan you are. Keep applying the clown makeup buddy, "Acts like a kid in a candy store" WOW if that isn't the oldest most antiquated comment I've read lately, I hear JJ calling, maybe it's time you get your knee pads back on and get to work.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:44 pm

"The kids played hard."

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Nisei wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 pm

"The kids played hard."
LOL...Chow was an Unco who got the keys to the car and took it for a spin. He fired two red-hot coordinators and hired two more uncos to replace them. Then, he went on tv each week to talk story with the keikis. Both of the coordinators he fired were successful, and one is a national champion. He's the head coach of the Baylor Bears now.

I honestly don't know what to make of our current situation. Chang is much more similar to Rolovich as a hire. I think Rolovich bombed his first 2 years as a head coach, and then had two good years at Hawaii. He did have much more experience as a coordinator than Chang. Chang had none. I think Rolovich had a much more scruffy appearance than say Chang. However, I'd say Chang has a pretty much run of the mill appearance.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Nisei wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:36 pm

"The kids played hard."
"They are a really good football team."

That's a good point too on the lack of weekly TV show. There used to be the post game press conference. The TV show. A few radio programs, and then the luncheon by the booster. There may not be much to talk about when loosing, but that's how you keep the fan base. I'm "Norm Chow fan" because he showed up, tell his side of the story. Putting football W vs L aside, how can you not like the guy, as a man, as a husband, and as a coach, even if he was a terrible HC for UH. And failed.

T-Chang need to connect with the fans more so when loosing. Real fans are still with the team. Don't lose us now. We need the "Timmy Chang Show."

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:42 pm At least Chow faced the music, critics. He didn't duck from the post game press conferences. He also had a weekly TV show something that Chang doesn't have.
That's interesting that Timmy doesn't have weekly TV talk show as they are usually worked into the contract which means more kala for the head coach. Another thing about the post-game press conferences is that this was an away game and maybe there wasn't adequate time to do one. I don't think all of Chow's or Rolo's post-game pressers were available, either.
--------------------------------
We're giving up almost 7 yards a carry so far. Thank God we don't play a triple option team this year...lol

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Shoko wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am
sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:42 pm At least Chow faced the music, critics. He didn't duck from the post game press conferences. He also had a weekly TV show something that Chang doesn't have.
That's interesting that Timmy doesn't have weekly TV talk show as they are usually worked into the contract which means more kala for the head coach. Another thing about the post-game press conferences is that this was an away game and maybe there wasn't adequate time to do one. I don't think all of Chow's or Rolo's post-game pressers were available. , either.
I think KGMB used to have one but I believe they have new owners. I talked to someone I know that works there but I forgot what he said about why they no longer do the coach's show.
ImageImage