Time for the OC & DC to make some major changes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Re: Time for the OC & DC to make some major changes

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 am
Shoko wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am
sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:42 pm At least Chow faced the music, critics. He didn't duck from the post game press conferences. He also had a weekly TV show something that Chang doesn't have.
That's interesting that Timmy doesn't have weekly TV talk show as they are usually worked into the contract which means more kala for the head coach. Another thing about the post-game press conferences is that this was an away game and maybe there wasn't adequate time to do one. I don't think all of Chow's or Rolo's post-game pressers were available. , either.
I think KGMB used to have one but I believe they have new owners. I talked to someone I know that works there but I forgot what he said about why they no longer do the coach's show.
Surprised Spectrum16 stopped didn't resume after the pandemic

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Irse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 am I think KGMB used to have one but I believe they have new owners. I talked to someone I know that works there but I forgot what he said about why they no longer do the coach's show.
Last I remember was a Spectrum Sports version of the show ... can't remember if that was Rolo's or Graham's time. At points in time, KGMB and KHON each did coach's shows.

I gotta believe all the the local stations & Spectrum ran the numbers and saw that it producing a weekly show would be a financial loser. If you owned a business, would you advertise on that show? Even the PPV contract must be a financial black hole - who's buying this year?

If Chang wants to connect with the fan base, there's plenty of UH-friendly online content creators like Chad Owens or Ryan Kalei Tsuji who would probably welcome regular talk-story with the football coach, but he'll need to provide more substance, less cliche than he does on the radio Call the Coach.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

So still no Call the Coach - Timmy Chang this week.

Or no longer on youtube?

Just looked it up....On ESPN's website. https://www.espnhonolulu.com/call-the-coach/

***DUE TO NEW COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS, THERE WILL BE NO “CALL THE COACH” UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.***

What new COVID restrictions?

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am So still no Call the Coach - Timmy Chang this week.

Or no longer on youtube?

Just looked it up....On ESPN's website. https://www.espnhonolulu.com/call-the-coach/

***DUE TO NEW COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS, THERE WILL BE NO “CALL THE COACH” UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.***

This is getting weirder. And I thought Graham took the cake. How can they/them make that excuse. If that's the case the next you know they'll have no fans at the games. 🤮

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am Just looked it up....On ESPN's website. https://www.espnhonolulu.com/call-the-coach/

you're looking at a webpage from last year's season that they never archived. if they have one i'm guessing it might be here:

https://open.spotify.com/show/39HLbjualbuqtaSEpgtxKT

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:06 am
cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 am So still no Call the Coach - Timmy Chang this week.

Or no longer on youtube?

This is getting weirder. And I thought Graham took the cake. How can they/them make that excuse. If that's the case the next you know they'll have no fans at the games. 🤮
Here's the link to the call the coach show and other UH football videos. Please be respectful when sending your questions/comments to show and remember you're not qualified to be a Head Coach in any sport, especially not football.

https://m.youtube.com/c/ESPNHonolulu/videos
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Ok, thanks. Yes, I looked at youtube first. But still no Call the Coach show. The most recent one was 13 days ago, which is not the NMSU game from last week, Maybe there's nothing to talk about.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Transfers? When watching other teams play you hear about all the transfers contributing. When we started the season there weren’t many transfers in the starting lineup. As the season progressed the DBs are all transfers due to injuries and ineffective play by starters. And pass D has improved. I question our position coaches ability to assess talent at two levels. 1. They are bringing in the wrong transfers or 2. They are playing starters based on experience vs talent. As others have surmised I am of the opinion we don’t have the best players on the field.

I also feel that the incoming coaches didn’t do a good job of assessing our returning talent. Obviously we needed DB help and we did a good job in the portal. Where we failed miserably was getting help at DE, LB and WR. We assessed LB as a strength and in reality that is our weakest link. No speed. There is no speed and depth at WR. There is some young talent but no experience. Without speed and experience we need to incorporate our TEs better into the passing game. The TEs are experienced and they have a size and matchup advantage against LBs and DBs. Interesting that Caleb emerged in the last game. We also need to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers. I am good with all of our RBs. We need to get Johnson and Hines more touches in space.

We need to get the best players on the field.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The trend for UH has been to score 10-14 points early in the game, then offense goes flat and the defense gives up a lot of points, then the offense starts back up in the 4th when it's too little too late.

Both OC and DC needs to be able to make necessary adjustments if we stand any chance for wins this season. I'm not saying anyone will be fired at UH but around country, coordinators have been getting let go after 4-5 games this season because of the lack of game time adjustments. That's what they are getting paid for

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

After 10 games, this Fresno St 55-0 romp with 9 minutes left Fall all on the OC and DC.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Getting whooped by Michigan was expected.
A loss to Fresno was expected.
Warriors getting their okoles kicked behind the woodshed was not expected, and in front of a national TV audience made it worse.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Both Dru Brown and Cole McDonald said they watched GOAT #15 on TV when they were kids. Braden Schager said he watched Cole McDonald on TV as a kid. So when they said, they know UH Football..maybe.

The (mainland) kids that are staying up, watching UH Football now would hang up on a recruit call from T-Chang. No can hear you now....

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:16 pm After 10 games, this Fresno St 55-0 romp with 9 minutes left Fall all on the OC and DC.
Agreed. With the pff.com grades I see of the team and players, one would think the
score of the game would be alot closer. All the linemen graded high 60's and 70's. Even
as bad as BS played he graded in the 60's, which wasn't all that bad (50+yards rushing).
The TV announcers repeatedly kept saying how poorly the WR's are in not helping out
the QB with simple catches, coming back for the ball-true. Also this game I have no clue
what Yoro was thinking with his prevent defense and his LB's dropping back into coverage against
a QB completing nearly 80% of his passes. Everyone at the bar kept yelling put some pressure
on the QB and blitz. But no. There was a streak this season where I thought Yoro turned the corner,
but I'm a fool to think he can. This season he had monumental success when he plays his defensive
tackles in the B gap/shifts them around and doesnt play a defender on the center. I can see that. In the Fresno game
Taala lined up across the center 30 times, which makes no sense to me. Theres no diversion in
this defensive alighnment as compared to when the DT line up in the B gap and stunt either to A or C.
Whats going to hurt is when recruiting comes around when the prospects sees toy soldiers leading
this team, which I think even the most loyal Warrior fan cant refute this.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:34 am

Also this game I have no clue what Yoro was thinking with his prevent defense and his LB's dropping back into coverage against
a QB completing nearly 80% of his passes.
Agreed. That's how to beat a team like Fresno, with an accurate passing QB like Jake Haener. Put pressure on him, rattle his cage. That's how teams beat UH when Colt was UH's QB.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The same discussions last year continues after 7 games in year 2. Which makes one wonder, are we really getting better? 🤔 How much longer will the AD put up with.

No Fresno State and Boise St this season and we haven't played the better conference teams yet. Not unless you consider UNLV the upper tier of the MWC