The Defense Carries While The Offense Lags

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

The Defense Carries While The Offense Lags

Post by ton15t4k »

Hawaii was outgained 2 to 1 as the passing game was horrible. Any idea when Zion Bowen returns? Yellen should be benched and Brayden should start for the rest of the year. The running game as usual looked decent but the o-line still can't pass block well and the receivers just aren't making plays.

The defense looked decent. Hausmann had another good game. Kaulana and Virdell played well. Pavihi had a great pick 6. It looks like the defense is coming together as we are seeing some possible emerging players.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: The Defense Carries While The Offense Lags

Post by couz808 »

There has to be a change in the offense. Yellen is like a statue in the offense with no awareness and Schager is a turnover machine. We’re coming to our 5th game in the season with no passing TD. Unless we run the option like Air Force or Army, that is pretty sad. I’m not saying to fire shoemaker but maybe put him in the press box or vice versa or maybe Timmy can start calling the plays instead. I really don’t think we can win another game with this offense. We were lucky against Duquense. They outgained us in total yards and time of possession. Btw looks like we still making stupid penalties and false starts. How did we not false start at Michigan in front of a 100,000 hostile fans but come to our home field of 9000 and start making penalties.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

This was a defensive win. Teams have film on Timmy/Shoemakers version of the Hawaii offense, they are not going to catch anyone off guard with the scripted stuff. Need to bring back that sneaky shovel pass.

Yesterday ranked #10 Arkansas was losing to FCS Missouri State until the 4th quarter. Then watch this 73 yard shovel pass TD, that turned the momentum. It helps Arkansas and many other programs have a dual threat QB that can make throws and scoot when needed!

https://youtu.be/3wEiG9TtG5Y?t=476

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I can tell that Yellen or the other QB's don't really understand Timmy/Shoemakers offense schemes (I mean schemes). I watched all 4 games and the one thing I noticed is that on pass plays the QB's stare down the 1st read way too long, I'm not sure if it's the QB or the WR/TE miscommunication. But it's obvious something is not flowing right in the passing game. QB's, WR/TE that understand the play book know what to do, even the hot read or check down is nonexistent so far. It's 1st read on the pass play then it's sack/overthrow or a pick. A legit dual threat QB is a must, no team will ever respect Timmy/Shoemakers offense scheme without a legit dual threat QB.

I haven't seen not a lot of QB rollouts to change the QB launch points, to keep the defense from keying in on QB. I haven't seen a lot of misdirection in the run game to keep the defense from keying in on the predictable RB shooting through the same gaps or QB launch point. All the QB's on the roster need to run with the WR during drills to build up the athleticism needed to actually execute this type of scheme. Being a one-dimensional QB in this offense is a recipe for inept offense production. 4 games into the season, there should be huge strides on offense by now. Thank you, Hawaii Defense, for getting the Warriors this win against FCS Duquesne.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Bo Graham looks pretty good now...

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The CB's actually carried the defense.

Malik Hausman was targeted 14 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 4 receptions for a total of 60 yards and only 9 yards after the catch. He also had 2 PBU and an INT. In the first 3 games he was in on a 114 plays. Against D he was in for a career high 82 plays. According to pff.con MH graded a 71.0. And imo Probably has a good chance to be MWC defensive player of the week.

Hugh Nelson was targeted 6 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 2 receptions for 15 yards. He also had 8 tackles. He was in on 79 plays. In the 3 games prior he only had 104 plays.

Virdell Edwards was targeted 6 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 3 receptions for 27 yards. He was also in on 6 tackles and was in on 83 plays. In the three earlier games he was in on 121 plays.

Both Nelson and Edwards also graded near 70.0 for the game. All three CB played nearly the entire game. That was the difference in the defense stepping up imo.Prior to the D game R, E, N saw limited action and were platooned whereas in the D game Yoro let them play.

What should be noted is that Jojo Forest didn't play and MT was in on 15 plays.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

less than 100 yard passing is a major red flag.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:51 am The CB's actually carried the defense.

Malik Hausman was targeted 14 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 4 receptions for a total of 60 yards and only 9 yards after the catch. He also had 2 PBU and an INT. In the first 3 games he was in on a 114 plays. Against D he was in for a career high 82 plays. According to pff.con MH graded a 71.0. And imo Probably has a good chance to be MWC defensive player of the week.

Hugh Nelson was targeted 6 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 2 receptions for 15 yards. He also had 8 tackles. He was in on 79 plays. In the 3 games prior he only had 104 plays.

Virdell Edwards was targeted 6 times and allowed the receiver he was covering 3 receptions for 27 yards. He was also in on 6 tackles and was in on 83 plays. In the three earlier games he was in on 121 plays.

Both Nelson and Edwards also graded near 70.0 for the game. All three CB played nearly the entire game. That was the difference in the defense stepping up imo.Prior to the D game R, E, N saw limited action and were platooned whereas in the D game Yoro let them play.

What should be noted is that Jojo Forest didn't play and MT was in on 15 plays.
I thought all of our dbs played well and made plays. I like how our defense flowed to the ball. More gang tackling. Huge improvement from what I have seen so far this season. Our offense is where I thought it would be. I like how Dukes controlled and move the ball down the field. This is how I have been wanting our offense to do. Give our d some rest. We don’t have our 50/50 wide receiver in Mardner any more so I can see why we struggle in the passing game. Chevan did a lot with his legs too so that is something we just don’t have now. I haven’t written off coaches yet I still think that they need to figure things out. Losing Bowens really hurt our offense. And now Panoke looks all beaten up. I still think that they should give Perdue a look at receiver. May give us more rac.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

anykine wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 pm less than 100 yard passing is a major red flag.
The offense is unwatchable. Can’t believe Chang didn’t hire Stutz or Brian Smith, Hawaii needs to be run and shoot. Parson needs to stop fumbling as well. As surprised we couldn’t get better transfer QBs.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The two big TEs are not doing much. They got the height to go up high.