Who will be the playmakers this year?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Who will be the playmakers this year?

Post by ton15t4k »

Who are the players this year that this team will have to rely on both on offense and defense. Last year on offense it was Hunter, Turner, and Mardner. On defense it was Muasau, Laulu, and Bethley.

This year? I'm thinking Parsons or Nasjze and Bowens will be our playmakers on offense this year. I expect Bowens to bounce back from his recent injury. Panoke is injury prone and Walthall is too green. Hawaii went from running 32% of the time vs Vanderbilt to running 45% against WKU. I expect Chang to run the ball a lot this season due to our personnel.

As for defense, I don't see a playmaker there yet. Blessman has his hands full to make plays. I want to see more youth on used on the front 7 to develop players. Hausman and Nelson are okay players.

Thoughts?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Who will be the playmakers this year?

Post by cabanalane »

ton15t4k wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:14 pm
As for defense, I don't see a playmaker there yet. Blessman has his hands full to make plays. I want to see more youth on used on the front 7 to develop players. Hausman and Nelson are okay players.

Thoughts?
Blessman no doubt is the gold standard in UH football in terms of behavior, dedication, game play, (I'll assume school too), and all the good things you want to say about a player, a person, a man. Never question he give 110% on every snap.

This is football. Blessman is not the defensive stud on the line. He does not blow through the line. I don't hold that against him because often he got two guards on him. UH defense has been weak IMO for a long time, and compensation is the play 3 on the line and let the linebackers handle it. I like to see 4 on the line. 4-3. Then again, I don't see the LB core we had decades past. The last 10 years, seems to be one good LB, and the rest are average.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Playmakers have yet to step forward. I hope that someone does.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Nasjzaé Bryant-Lelei

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:27 am Nasjzaé Bryant-Lelei
He seems to run a lot harder than Parson.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:27 am Nasjzaé Bryant-Lelei
Yep that would be my rb but having Parsons gives us 2 good backs. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Kema. And other than Blessman I can see Soli making plays.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Last year, Parson was the play maker. He scored 8 td's to Hunter's 3. If you take away Hunter's 81 yard score, the stats look much different. Turner was the other playmaker on offense last year. Of all the starting rushers, including Cordeiro, Dedrick also lost the least amount of yardage. For this year, I see Dedrick Parson remaining the top playmaker.

I know, I have said that the qb position is the deepest. However, there seems to be inconsistency in performance here. Timmy Chang is perhaps not the best quarter back whisperer. I also said last year that Mardner would be the star. He is...only in Cincinnati. Until a quarter back is decided upon, I don't know what to make of the receivers.

On defense, I see a lot. However, with all the penalties, butter fingers, and hay-maker passes on offense and special teams thus far...it's awful hard to assess the defense due to the position they've had to defend. Blessman will never be the leading tackler for Hawaii--a nose guard never is. The speedy linemen should be, and are, the leading tacklers of the unit. The linebackers and Db's are, as always, at the top. This is how a 3-4 defense works...well, any defense works. The two team leaders on defense, I have always picked to be the playmakers--making tackles doesn't define this distinction.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:02 am

On defense, I see a lot. However, with all the penalties, butter fingers, and hay-maker passes on offense and special teams thus far...it's awful hard to assess the defense due to the position they've had to defend. Blessman will never be the leading tackler for Hawaii--a nose guard never is. The speedy linemen should be, and are, the leading tacklers of the unit. The linebackers and Db's are, as always, at the top. This is how a 3-4 defense works...well, any defense works. The two team leaders on defense, I have always picked to be the playmakers--making tackles doesn't define this distinction.
If UH play a 4-3 defense, guys like Blessman can show us what a beast he truly is. He would have one-on-one situations where he can beat his man, instead always being double teamed. IMO, the 4-3 means we stop them at the line. 3-4 defense means we'll give them 2-3 yards and stop them there.

What's Bob Wagner doing? I'm sure he's willing to come back to campus here and there as a consultant.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/3-4 ... e-Football
The 3-4 is a flexible defense and provides some great advantages when it comes to rushing the quarterback and defending against the pass. Because there are only three linemen, the outside linebackers may play the role of the defensive end at some times, essentially giving a 4-3 look.

The 3-4 can be confusing for opposing quarterbacks, who may find it tough to keep track of these roving linebackers who line up all over the place.

Because it offers so many options and presents so many different looks for the opposing offense, many NFL teams have switched to the 3-4. This is probably largely due to the explosion of the passing game in recent years.
Because of its flexibility, the 3-4 may seem like the ideal defense, but much of its success depends on having the right personnel at various positions. To effectively stop the running game a team will need a dominant nose tackle that is capable of occupying space and taking on several blockers without giving ground.
It's the perfect defense for Blessman. Only, he won't get as many tackles. Mac and Glanville produced some spectacular defenses for Hawaii using this formation. Also, if this is what the team and the coordinator have been using, why switch? We get another learning curve issue. imho

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Agree with what you said/quoted. I'm seeing more "run" plays now compare to 15-20 years ago. Let's call it the JJ era. Passing records were set left and right, every other month. I would not want UH to change now. I just like 4-3 better.

Going OT, as much as JJ is GOAT, I would not want him as HC again. I think his magic has passed. RNS is history. In some ways, I like "today's football" better as everyone is playing a more balance offense.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:39 am Agree with what you said/quoted. I'm seeing more "run" plays now compare to 15-20 years ago. Let's call it the JJ era. Passing records were set left and right, every other month. I would not want UH to change now. I just like 4-3 better.

Going OT, as much as JJ is GOAT, I would not want him as HC again. I think his magic has passed. RNS is history. In some ways, I like "today's football" better as everyone is playing a more balance offense.
There is more running likely because our best offensive players are our running backs and offensive line. The o-line seems better at run blocking than pass blocking. But Ian Shoemaker's offense has a history of being pass heavy. In the Vandy game, Hawaii ran 32% of the time then ran 45% of the time vs WKU. So I guess the offense will do what fits...

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I still pick Welsh. He can play a lot better than shown. If (a big if) his light bulb ever turns on watch out.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

sarvicdar wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:39 am I still pick Welsh. He can play a lot better than shown. If (a big if) his light bulb ever turns on watch out.
Jonah Kahahawai-Welch? He has had injury issues for multiple years. But he has potential if he can stay healthy.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

Tylan Hines has some good speed. Hawaii has good depth at running back with 3 running backs that are good enough to start.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ton15t4k wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:48 am Tylan Hines has some good speed. Hawaii has good depth at running back with 3 running backs that are good enough to start.
I think this will be our most productive group.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: