bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Da other side of the bradduhood?

Post by bigislandkurt »

I'm sure the pressure to improve has ramped up after two games filled with mistakes and penalties. So far, it appears that an unforeseen byproduct of this new, seemingly more "relaxed" bradduhood era is a weak mental game. Maybe "local style" is a bit too relaxed as it comes to the mental game of college football. (Full disclosure, I am a local bradduh raised local style). We often get too hyped up on emotions rather than focus, discipline, and execution. Local style brah....no worries beef curries. So long as our Ha'a and helmets look good, we good eh? Ok, I'm being facetious. But I wonder how the team captains are responding to the sheer lack of discipline we are showing for the first two weeks? Coaches gonna coach. But this kind of gut check needs to come from the player ranks, not coaches. So when is the next players only meeting?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Da other side of the bradduhood?

Post by poidog »

I'm not saying you're wrong - but I think this is the wrong time to try and make the judgement you are trying to make. If we took an established, obviously good team and changed the culture and they went from winning to losing, I'd say that you have a point. But what we have in the 2022 UH Football team is a collection of unknowns. Everyone involved - the players, the fans, and probably the coaches - were optimistic that all the good vibes from the off-season would translate into instant success on the field, but it isn't playing out that way, and that frustration is showing. I don't think there's some magic formula for culture that would prevent that frustration. And I especially don't think that being more haole would somehow make it better.

If we are being real about it, we can compare against what Todd Graham did - he took a talented bunch of players on the cusp of a conference championship, changed the culture, and turned them into a .500 team. They returned 20 starters in 2021 and they still needed favorable math to qualify for a bowl game. There was no braddahhood on that team and it was just as disappointing.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Poi, what judgement are you referring to? My post is about a weak mental game. We have statistics over two games that support my claim. Anything else you pulled out of my post is purely on you and your need to state your thoughts and disagree in your own little passive way. All good brah. You say it’s because they are unknowns. I say the mental game is weak. You have your opinion, I have mine. Mine is based on two games with real stats and examples. Yours is based on your feelings and ??? You are a good writer so I respect you. But that that part about my post somehow implying that haole might be better is particularly weak. Just sayin. Shoots brah. No worries beef curries. 🤙🏽 My judgement was about a weak mental game. Got any proof otherwise?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:07 am ….
. Everyone involved - the players, the fans, and probably the coaches - were optimistic that all the good vibes from the off-season would translate into instant success on the field, but it isn't playing out that way, and that frustration is showing. I don't think there's some magic formula for culture that would prevent that frustration. And I especially don't think that being more haole would somehow make it better….
You are free to insert the words being more of a Jew or more of a black man rather than more haole. Broad brushing any skin color or culture is a sign of ignorance. And has no place in this forum or at the University. This is about W-L’s. Color don’t make losses feel better. Calling out Haole or braddahud is done by weak people. All colors and cultures are welcome. Local culture is no better than any other. Get over yourselves if you think you are special. Motivate yourselves by the X’s and O’s and performance on the field. Don’t ever think you are Superman because you represent UH and Polynesia. The guy punching you in the jaw don’t care. You ain’t craap unless you win the games.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

Many people transferred out because players were not happy with Graham and did not want to be on the team anymore. Braddahood is a good way for Chang to help build strong relationships with his players and between his players. We basically have a new team of players and the coaches are not that experiences at the FBS level as well. I hope time will bring better performances on the field.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

ton15t4k wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:09 pm Many people transferred out because players were not happy with Graham and did not want to be on the team anymore. Braddahood is a good way for Chang to help build strong relationships with his players and between his players. We basically have a new team of players and the coaches are not that experiences at the FBS level as well. I hope time will bring better performances on the field.
I understand leaving might be the best option if you have a bad boss. But they should own the fact that the program is bigger than their boss and themselves. And they did no service to the program by running TG out of town. Like him or not, he is a class guy. He could have kept us alive until we had a new stadium. The guys that left offer nothing to us. We aren’t Spartans. Sorry, while I the love the history of underdog SJSU football, that is not my team.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We never heard the other side, TG's side of the story. To be "UnBias," TG era is a victim of COVID IMO. Like the military, you hate your DI because he calls you dogshit and make you run. But if you don't have that time to bond, both would never develop that braddahood.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:33 am We never heard the other side, TG's side of the story. To be "UnBias," TG era is a victim of COVID IMO. Like the military, you hate your DI because he calls you dogshit and make you run. But if you don't have that time to bond, both would never develop that braddahood.
We dragged him in front of our state senate and grilled him. Shame on this state. We can’t do anything right then we start throwing daggers at those that are contributing. Why? Because they don’t look like our uncles? Or because our uncle’s boy is coming home to coach. We could have changed out TG after another season in a classy way. Nope, we got to trash him. Like trashing Mac. Pathetic.

How many times have I heard outsiders don’t understand local culture. Graham tried everything he could. Local culture is sour potatoes. There is nothing difficult to understand about it. Unfortunately, sports is again contaminated by this nonsense. Graham moved on because he recognized the petty BS that always plays out in our state. Good for him. There is no way to win against the localism mob when they got their minds made up. Better to bow out. And the whiners that helped wreck the program, they not even on the team. Chang, it is not his fault. Good luck to him. I hope he reaches out to June Jones for help. Karma is a beeeatch.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 pm
ton15t4k wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:09 pm Many people transferred out because players were not happy with Graham and did not want to be on the team anymore. Braddahood is a good way for Chang to help build strong relationships with his players and between his players. We basically have a new team of players and the coaches are not that experiences at the FBS level as well. I hope time will bring better performances on the field.
I understand leaving might be the best option if you have a bad boss. But they should own the fact that the program is bigger than their boss and themselves. And they did no service to the program by running TG out of town. Like him or not, he is a class guy. He could have kept us alive until we had a new stadium. The guys that left offer nothing to us. We aren’t Spartans. Sorry, while I the love the history of underdog SJSU football, that is not my team.
Just curious. Have you personally met him?
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:57 am
I met Graham only one time. It was early March just before COVID restrictions started across the country. I met him in Starbucks line at HNL airport while we were waiting for our early morning flights. I was headed to Vegas to bring home my mom who suffered a stroke in February, I believe he was headed to LAX, not sure though. I just said hello and wished him luck. Graham thanked me and asked where I was headed. I told him what the deal was and he wished my mother good health and that he would pray for her. We got out our coffees and went to our separate flights.

This is the Graham I know based on my limited personal interaction. Now I'm not discounting the players experiences with Graham but I have to believe some of it is just misunderstanding between coach and players and overdramatizing.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:28 am

I met Graham only one time. It was early March just before COVID restrictions started across the country. I met him in Starbucks line at HNL airport while we were waiting for our early morning flights. I was headed to Vegas to bring home my mom who suffered a stroke in February, I believe he was headed to LAX, not sure though. I just said hello and wished him luck. Graham thanked me and asked where I was headed. I told him what the deal was and he wished my mother good health and that he would pray for her. We got out our coffees and went to our separate flights.

This is the Graham I know based on my limited personal interaction. Now I'm not discounting the players experiences with Graham but I have to believe some of it is just misunderstanding between coach and players and overdramatizing.
That's pretty neat. I was introduced to him once. It was at a Na Koa function so he was pretty busy. Not any conversation. So can't say I have much of an opinion either way from that one meeting.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:18 am

That's pretty neat. I was introduced to him once. It was at a Na Koa function so he was pretty busy. Not any conversation. So can't say I have much of an opinion either way from that one meeting.
never met him personally because he never made much of an effort to get out and meet anyone. he can hide behind covid, but that's how it went down. Even Norm Chow, who was a resident of Los Angeles while coaching here made more of an effort.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:23 am
cabanalane wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:33 am We never heard the other side, TG's side of the story. To be "UnBias," TG era is a victim of COVID IMO. Like the military, you hate your DI because he calls you dogshit and make you run. But if you don't have that time to bond, both would never develop that braddahood.
We dragged him in front of our state senate and grilled him. Shame on this state. We can’t do anything right then we start throwing daggers at those that are contributing. Why? Because they don’t look like our uncles? Or because our uncle’s boy is coming home to coach. We could have changed out TG after another season in a classy way. Nope, we got to trash him. Like trashing Mac. Pathetic.

How many times have I heard outsiders don’t understand local culture. Graham tried everything he could. Local culture is sour potatoes. There is nothing difficult to understand about it. Unfortunately, sports is again contaminated by this nonsense. Graham moved on because he recognized the petty BS that always plays out in our state. Good for him. There is no way to win against the localism mob when they got their minds made up. Better to bow out. And the whiners that helped wreck the program, they not even on the team. Chang, it is not his fault. Good luck to him. I hope he reaches out to June Jones for help. Karma is a beeeatch.
embracing local culture is part of how how June Jones and Nick Rolovich had success here. people like you keep beating this drum about how it doesn't matter or that it is overrated while ignoring history and facts. You're so dug in on this "graham got a raw deal" thinking based on nothing other than you wanting to believe it to be so. People on the other side are basing it on feedback from people inside and around the program, both on and off record, as well as on observable things like 18 players transferring out and gross underperformance by a veteran roster. it might be cool to try being an "unbias(ed) fan" for once.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:27 pm

never met him personally because he never made much of an effort to get out and meet anyone. he can hide behind covid, but that's how it went down. Even Norm Chow, who was a resident of Los Angeles while coaching here made more of an effort.
Hard to go out and meet people with Covid restrictions the way they were.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:27 pm

There were guidelines in place. If TG violated the rules as a top representative of the University that would have been bad. Let's not forget everyone was locked in during the locked down.