Hawaii Is Struggling To Find Its Identity

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Hawaii Is Struggling To Find Its Identity

Post by ton15t4k »

Timmy Chang brought in Ian Shoemaker promised a mixed plate offense of R&S, R&G, air raid etc. But the offensive lineman are poor at pass blocking. Hawaii has two average receivers in Zion and Panoke (injury prone), the rest are horrible (Walthall has some potential). Brayden and Yellen are strong armed but too slow to handle the pass rush. Hawaii still doesn't have a definite QB starter which is not good.

The defense is just horrible. The D-line has been man handled for the past two games. The linebackers miss tackles and lack athleticism. The secondary is can't cover well or tackle.

But there are bright spots.

The lineman are decent run blockers and Hawaii has some decent running backs in Parson and Nasjzae. I hope Chang decides to lean on their strengths and decides to run the ball more. I just don't Hawaii being able to air it out well with the personnel. A mobile QB like Cam Cooper can help with a Run-pass option since the pass protection is lacking.If we stick with Brayden, he needs to stop forcing throws. I think Brayden is a better choice over Yellen. But Hawaii needs to choose a QB ASAP.

As for defense I think Hawaii could do a little better with a different lineup. I think the D-line starters are set as they are. But for Linebackers, Wynden should get more playing time. (Wynden is listed as DL but LB on the depth chart?) Other young linebackers should get more PT. As for secondary, Nelson and Hausman are bright spots. Maybe let Devyn play more over Jojo. Lee is injured, but I think Kamana or Pei has some potential.

I expect Hawaii to be able to figure out who should actually be starting on a team with so many new players very soon.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Re: Hawaii Is Struggling To Find Its Identity

Post by bigislandkurt »

Great points.

The obvious is obviously obvious.

It’s gonna take some time.

The team embraced “Da Bradduhood” as their identity to start off the Chang era. Adversity will define what that all means. The bradduhood will be tested in these weeks ahead.

Eventually, we will find this team’s identity in terms of X’s and O’s. So far, Chang/Shoemaker ball has had some success. We not seeing bombs or plays for big chunks of yards. I say that is just the reality of a new team working out the mistakes. I trust that it will “click” eventually.

Yoro’s D is one that simply lacks personnel. There is no one on that D that has been worthy of distinction. Not to say that they are not trying. They got heart, but many are just average players. And small too. The first two offenses we have seen have simply manhandled our dline and Lb’s.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Not an excuse, but reality. Todd Graham and the transfer portal really gutted the team. A do-over. Re-mix. Previous new head coaches never had to face the transfer portal.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Has the transfer portal been fruitful? Let's take the QBs for example. If they didn't get playing time at their school, why should they get playing time at Hawaii? Cause they can compete? They can compete where they were, no? Do they think Hawaii would be "easier?" There's got to be a reason why the other coach did not start them. If they only been in 4 games after 3 years that does not say much, or does that say a lot on where their skillset is at.

On the other post, someone said UH should look hard at JC. At least you get to go after their best player, and they are proven and tested (at the JC level).

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

we are in rebuild mode.i like seeing some of the young players getting game experience early.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The identity the Warriors have, obviously, instead of milking the cow the Warriors are the ones being milked. In all phases of the game there's small ball and a sit and watch us fall defense. There's no missiles just paper airplanes. When Graham first came on there was no spring ball, summer practices only zoom meetings. Yet his first game against Fresno on the road was a huge win. With Chang all I hear is that braddahood rallying cry, which quite frankly without the wins and especially a good direction its beginning to sound not only cliche but evangelistic.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

sarvicdar wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:30 am The identity the Warriors have, obviously, instead of milking the cow the Warriors are the ones being milked. In all phases of the game there's small ball and a sit and watch us fall defense. There's no missiles just paper airplanes. When Graham first came on there was no spring ball, summer practices only zoom meetings. Yet his first game against Fresno on the road was a huge win. With Chang all I hear is that braddahood rallying cry, which quite frankly without the wins and especially a good direction its beginning to sound not only cliche but evangelistic.
But isn't "Braddahhood" a better rallying cry than:

"Pride Rock"?
"Chasing Championships"?
"Tougher Than Hell"?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Of the new wrinkles, tight end Caleb Phillips said, “it’s a very exciting, very explosive offense. I’m excited for the direction it’s going.”

Phillips said the expanded passing game complements the running attack, and will be helpful when the Warriors open Mountain West play against SDSU.
My question is why after 5 games are we now looking to change the offense to be more explosive. Shouldn't that have been from game 1 when Bowens and Panoke was healthy :-?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

When Rolo got the JC speedsters (I forget now which one Byrd or Ward), he made one of them dorm room together, with Cole McDonald. QB1 and WR1 need to be in sync on the same page. Who are the UH QBs rooming with? Hopefully, not another QB.

I'm not sure plays or type of offense is the problem. Seems like there are way too many miscommunications with the QBs (both) and WRs. I'm sure the QBs can throw. I'm sure the WRs can catch. They been doing that since they were small kids.

Half of the time, I don't know if QB and receivers are on the same page. That's coaching, no?

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:10 am When Rolo got the JC speedsters (I forget now which one Byrd or Ward), he made one of them dorm room together, with Cole McDonald. QB1 and WR1 need to be in sync on the same page. Who are the UH QBs rooming with? Hopefully, not another QB.

I'm not sure plays or type of offense is the problem. Seems like there are way too many miscommunications with the QBs (both) and WRs. I'm sure the QBs can throw. I'm sure the WRs can catch. They been doing that since they were small kids.

Half of the time, I don't know if QB and receivers are on the same page. That's coaching, no?
They are not running RnS concepts...the WRs run predetermined routes, no option, seam or rub routes. That's why no one is open bc UH simply lacks the horses to line up and beat the other team.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by truewarriorfan »

Walthall, and Hines have potential. My guess is that they will enter the Transfer portal after the season. Because the product called the University of Hawaii Football isn’t that good.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 pm
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:10 am When Rolo got the JC speedsters (I forget now which one Byrd or Ward), he made one of them dorm room together, with Cole McDonald. QB1 and WR1 need to be in sync on the same page. Who are the UH QBs rooming with? Hopefully, not another QB.

They are not running RnS concepts...the WRs run predetermined routes, no option, seam or rub routes. That's why no one is open bc UH simply lacks the horses to line up and beat the other team.
Didn't they run the Run&Shoot this past week against NMSU?
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/09/ ... s-promise/
LAS CRUCES, N.M. >> Looking ahead, the University of Hawaii football team went back in time, reintroducing elements of the run-and-shoot offense this week.

Despite Saturday’s 45-26 setback, the Rainbow Warriors were encouraged that the four-wide, read-and-attack system — popularized by former coach June Jones — would be beneficial the rest of the season.

“There’s a lot of potential,” said quarterback Brayden Schager, who threw for 261 yards and a touchdown. “We’re in the beginning phases of it. We showed some promising things.”

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Our identity? Our identity is that we suck.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

That’s why I have been saying that they need to pick one quarterback and stick with him. Especially if you intend to use the full r&s package. The quarterback and receivers need to be on the same page. And according to JJ you only get that through repetition. I expect to see incompletes and ints until they do. You also need the right personnel. Rolo ran more RPO stuff when he took over because of the players he had at that time.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: