UH football at all time low

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

UH football at all time low

Post by UnBiasFan »

I am going to try to be objective here with some facts and a bit of opinion

1) We are playing on what was the practice field in front of 5,000 - 10,000 people in our community that I will call the “haves”
2) the “have nots” including their kids have no connection to this team - PPV is only in the houses of the “haves”
3) talent-wise (no disrespect to the guys there), we are empty… there is talent, but we used to have at least 5-10 guys that were top tier to pull the team up
4) coaching is abysmal
5) things are going to get worse
6) the athletic director is hated for trashing our best coach that brought great success to our program
7) most of the core supporters are going to be dead in 10 to 20 years, with little interest by younger generations in the program
8 We should not be sending our guys to Michigan right now, total disaster
9) recruiting is going to fall off the map and the problems get even worse
10) Norm Chow, Fred Von Appen didn’t deliver but they at least left us something to build from, the program now is going to be in shambles

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: UH football at all time low

Post by Txbow »

Agree 110%. I keep hearing 2-3 years to rebuild. But IMHO I don't think UH may have a D-1 team after 2-3 more dismal years. Can't afford to feed the team with a proper training table, the Stadium situation (big "IF" if construction even starts on time), NIL money to compete with (or lack of) etc. etc. I'll say what many others may not want to say. The State of Hawaii and UH have little to no vision for UH Football. The program has wallowed into its current state of hopelessness. Everything thus far has been reactive - and the current sad state of the program show this. Think small and you will get similar results. UH Football hanging on by a thread.....

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Txbow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 pm Agree 110%. I keep hearing 2-3 years to rebuild. But IMHO I don't think UH may have a D-1 team after 2-3 more dismal years. Can't afford to feed the team with a proper training table, the Stadium situation (big "IF" if construction even starts on time), NIL money to compete with (or lack of) etc. etc. I'll say what many others may not want to say. The State of Hawaii and UH have little to no vision for UH Football. The program has wallowed into its current state of hopelessness. Everything thus far has been reactive - and the current sad state of the program show this. Think small and you will get similar results. UH Football hanging on by a thread.....
Many have said what you just said. Unfortunately others say we are overblowing the situation.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

- It's sad when we can't even sellout a 9000 seat stadium.
- The wireless PA system is very bad
- The big screen scoreboard is stuck on advertisements during live play

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

All this was set from the UH leadership Matlin, this could have gone another way but Matlin knows best!

We have to take a few things in context, June said it was not about the money to coach UH Football. It was about bringing the local culture of believing & winning back. June was willing to coach UH football for free which is not legal but would take the job for super cheap. Then pass on the pay cut to bring in quality assistant coaches. I would even take Rich Miano as an assistant coach right now on the defensive side of the ball. June was willing to mentor Timmy for 4 years and set up Timmy and Hawaii Football for smooth transition. Similar to the June to McMackin transition, even though McMackin was an older more experienced coach than Timmy during that transition.

Has anyone heard that Timmy has taking a significant pay cut? Nope, if you take the job and the pay, you get all responsibilities for losing so horribly. Put your kala where your mouth is and the UH public relations team pushed hard to make Timmy look like the man to save Hawaii Football. But the UH PR team cannot spin away those embarrassing inept blowout losses and the reality of a novice head coach. Matlin and the UH PR machine set Timmy up for failure, screwed June Jones and Hawaii Football into FCS level for the foreseeable future. Unbelievable Matlin! If it's your goal to eliminate our beloved Hawaii Football, you are well on your way to accomplishing it!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:06 am All this was set from the UH leadership Matlin, this could have gone another way but Matlin knows best!

We have to take a few things in context, June said it was not about the money to coach UH Football. It was about bringing the local culture of believing & winning back. June was willing to coach UH football for free which is not legal but would take the job for super cheap. Then pass on the pay cut to bring in quality assistant coaches. I would even take Rich Miano as an assistant coach right now on the defensive side of the ball. June was willing to mentor Timmy for 4 years and set up Timmy and Hawaii Football for smooth transition. Similar to the June to McMackin transition, even though McMackin was an older more experienced coach than Timmy during that transition.

Has anyone heard that Timmy has taking a significant pay cut? Nope, if you take the job and the pay, you get all responsibilities for losing so horribly. Put your kala where your mouth is and the UH public relations team pushed hard to make Timmy look like the man to save Hawaii Football. But the UH PR team cannot spin away those embarrassing inept blowout losses and the reality of a novice head coach. Matlin and the UH PR machine set Timmy up for failure, screwed June Jones and Hawaii Football into FCS level for the foreseeable future. Unbelievable Matlin! If it's your goal to eliminate our beloved Hawaii Football, you are well on your way to accomplishing it!
Que?!! What nonsense are you spouting?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

June Jones took the money and left for SMU. He wasn't successful. That didn't make much of a difference there. Chang is a prayer. I don't think he has been paid as much as most of those who UH thought would make a difference...and didn't. Yah...June Jones has gone by the wayside as much as many other ex-UH coaches have gone. OH...except for Dave Aranda...a subsequent national championship winner...and Baylor head coach that Norm Chow didn't like...and so we wallowed in the mud for so many years .

I honestly can't say what is next for Hawaii football, but departure to FCS isn't one of 'em.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Txbow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 pm Agree 110%. I keep hearing 2-3 years to rebuild. But IMHO I don't think UH may have a D-1 team after 2-3 more dismal years. Can't afford to feed the team with a proper training table, the Stadium situation (big "IF" if construction even starts on time), NIL money to compete with (or lack of) etc. etc. I'll say what many others may not want to say. The State of Hawaii and UH have little to no vision for UH Football. The program has wallowed into its current state of hopelessness. Everything thus far has been reactive - and the current sad state of the program show this. Think small and you will get similar results. UH Football hanging on by a thread.....
I disagree a bit on this. I think the UH Football program has a vision but like everything else having to deal with the state, lack funds. The state could care less about UH athletics. That is why they give a little but try to take a lot. When we do well, they try to bask in the glory. The stadium situation is out of UH's control. I wish they could beef up the infrastructure and have it on campus. In the past, when we were doing well, the travel industry should have gotten behind UH and realized that the better we do and can attract better opponents, they benefit because those teams have fans that travel. But it doesn't seem like UH got much help from them.The NIL money has to come from private industry so it has nothing to do with UIH.
The further we get away from the von Appen and Chow years, the less pain we remember but I still think those years were worse.
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:05 am June Jones took the money and left for SMU. He wasn't successful. That didn't make much of a difference there. Chang is a prayer. I don't think he has been paid as much as most of those who UH thought would make a difference...and didn't. Yah...June Jones has gone by the wayside as much as many other ex-UH coaches have gone. OH...except for Dave Aranda...a subsequent national championship winner...and Baylor head coach that Norm Chow didn't like...and so we wallowed in the mud for so many years .

I honestly can't say what is next for Hawaii football, but departure to FCS isn't one of 'em.
SMU had not been in a bowl game since 1984. June took them to 4 bowls and won 3 of the them. For some reason, Hawaii fans always reject bowl games at our own level as something mediocre and then we go to the cellar. McMackin and Graham got us to bowl games and got no thanks for it. For Graham, the players didn’t want to play. You’d rather play on a team that can’t win a game?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:30 am ….
The further we get away from the von Appen and Chow years, the less pain we remember but I still think those years were worse.
We got past game 2. And the sportswriters in Michigan are saying next week their team faces the worst team in the country. Things are going to get much more painful.

Nobody in charge of anything in our state ever admits they are wrong when they screw up. It just never happens. The AD royally screwed up our program by succumbing to local sentiment (deja vu Chow) rather than hiring the best available. This put us on a trajectory that may make recovery impossible. What will remain of fans is 3000 rich people sitting on metal benches with a VIP seat cushion for $80 a game. And nobody will care about the program.

I am not making it up when I say a generation or two of young people will have no connection to this program. It will be just grandpa telling stories of how great it was.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I get this essence of this thread. There's a lot of frustration that was built up because the refusal to hire JJ as head coach was handled so poorly by the administration and the subsequent hiring of TC. Dave Matlin was so meek during this time period of the Graham turmoil and unable to assert himself with the truth. His communications spokesman came out and character assassinated JJ prior to the announcement of TC as head coach. TC has been able to create a team that is somewhat FBS ready but not a winner. The words that JJ spoke at the time he was being considered ring louder today than it did then. He said that he wanted to help Matlin market UH. That is so important because it helps to be competitive in market for NCAA football money and it helps to attract the kind of recruits that makes for a competitive football team that can compete with the best. Remember him saying that he was going to bring in R&S 2.0? Maybe just a gimmick but it would have drawn national attention. JJ also said that it would be difficult for any first time coach to come in and try to bring in a good team considering all the problems with the new stadium, low attendance, etc.

Going forward, I can't listen for very long to TC with his verbal crutches when he speaks. Maybe he should consider as another poster recommended which is joining a speech club to get rid of the um's, ah's and you know's. This puts me to sleep. None of my high school teachers and even football coach used verbal crutches. It doesn't bode well with a national audience.

I don't think they'll have an FCS program as it would cost too much money to fly a team to/from the mainland on a limited budget.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:41 am
Irse wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:30 am ….
We got past game 2. And the sportswriters in Michigan are saying next week their team faces the worst team in the country. Things are going to get more painful.

Nobody in charge of anything in our state ever admits they are wrong when they screw up. It just never happens. The AD royally screwed up our program by succumbing to local (deja vu Chow) rather than hiring the best available and put us on a trajectory that may make recovery impossible. What will remain of fans is 3000 rich people sitting on metal benches with VIP seat cushion for $80 a game.

I am not making it up when I say a generation or two of young people will have no connection to this program. It will be just grandpa telling stories of how great it was.
I think it's been that way for a while.
My son graduated high school a couple of years ago and none of his friends even considered going to a UH football game (my son included). I think having the games on campus may bring more students to the games and hopefully that will increase the younger base.

I was hoping for a mercy rule this coming week. Just hope no front line guy gets injured.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Next week the snowball will get bigger against Michigan and heaven forbid if the team loses to D (Sagarian says UH should win by 20) then we will see an avalanche and be at all time low. In a thousand years I could never imagine the Warriors poor start in the blow out loses to V and WK. Stupid me predicted 7 wins and banked on the 19 three star players (including 4 4 stars players) that joined the program. I thought, well, these players will have a big impact on the program and there would be a glimmer of hope for the 2022 season. Unfortunately at this point the team has more mouse type players and HC and assistants than beasts. Rolovich once said football is all about understanding algorithms, which I agree with. I looked at the grades (pff.com) of the Warriors players and the opposition (almost a tie) in these first two games and saw/thought the Warriors should be in the ball park and am baffled as to why Changs team wasn't. My hope is that Chang turns it around similarly as the new baseball coach (there was loud grumbling, too) did in his inauspicious start, too, last season, where the team actually ended up doing pretty well. As bad as it is I haven't given up on Chang this season.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:23 am ……As bad as it is I haven't given up on Chang this season.
JJ system was pretty simple. No need for a playbook. He could draw them on the white board. Then it was all about repetition. If he was in this situation now, at least we would know the guys out there are just repeating the system until they break through with the connections.

What I saw was disaster by committee. Pick a damn QB, implement the R&S, and keep repeating and repeating and repeating until everybody got the timing down. These guys can do it. Timmy should give June a call.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Matlin already has Hawaii Football at the FCS level of coaching and play, nobody is going to honestly say that this year team is better than FCS Jackson State with Deion Sanders as head coach. Before I saw the first 2 games this season, I thought Hawaii stomp Duquesne on homecoming night. But now I'm hoping they just win a game or two this season. Vandy and Western Kentucky are not even good FBS teams and those losses weren't good losses! I hear the media acting like Vandy and Western Kentucky are 10-2 teams this season and Hawaii lost to possible New Year Six Bowl teams. At the end of the season Vandy might be 4-8 and Western Kentucky might be 7-5 if they are lucky in conference play. Michigan might be the only team Hawaii plays that has the potential to be a New Year Six Bowl team and that 1.9 million payout for next week body bag game will help pay for the non-revenue sports. But make no mistake the trajectory Matlin has just put Hawaii Football is on the level of the FCS, being an FBS team with coaching and playing at the FCS level will keep Hawaii in the ESPN and CBS bottom 10 for the foreseeable future.

Thank you Matlin for pilau the program...