Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Re: UH football at all time low

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

I know it is frustrating given only a few years ago in 2019, we beat OST, Ariz, and BYU. However, while UH football is down, it is nowhere near the 1998 low. That season was the sixth non-winning season in a row, and there was no question UH was the worst coached team in the country. Most saw no way UH would ever become a winning D1A team again. But UH did start winning again. That 2015 team would see our 5th straight non-winning season, and that loss against Air Force that year (58-7), was the first time I had ever seen a UH football team just give up on a coach during the season. Coach Chow was fired after that game and UH football was just really low. Most said it would take coach Rolo 2-3 years to rebuild. Yet we saw 3 bowl games in the next 4 years.

This season it is clear UH football has a lot to rebuild and we just don't have a lot of talent on this team. WR and DL groups, we need to recruit speed and size and we need more LB and OL as we lose a lot this season. But with that said, don't forget June Jones and Nick Rolo both had losing records their first two years building up to their runs (2001-2007) and (2018-2019).

Given where this team is starting (almost rock bottom) it will take 2 or 3 more recruiting seasons to build back all the talent that was lost. Not to mention giving coach Chang time to find his groove as the head coach. Took coach Rolo 2 years.

Coach Chang has shown he knows what to do to get team buy-in and community support. Now he needs to show he can recruit and develop talent. And no he won't be bringing in and 5 or 4-star players, but that 2019 team had a lot of JC and not highly recruited players starting and they were a really good team.

My biggest concern for this season and the future will be staying healthy and giving players the ability to continue to develop, but also retaining those players that show promise once the season is over. While I am sure we will always see some players leave, as long as we don't see the mase amount of talent leave like this past off-season, I have faith Coach Chang can get things turned around. It just won't be this season. Even June Jones went 1-11 in his first season at SMU. Then they went to 4 straight bowl games. Have faith and keep supporting the team.

Also, if you can become a Nakoa member to help support the team.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Yes, June Jones lost his first game to a ranked #21 USC team 63-7 at Aloha Stadium. And June Jones he finished his first season 9-4, WAC Co-Champions with an Oahu Bowl victory 23-17 over Oregon State.

Took over for Von Appen
June Jones Hawaii Warriors (Western Athletic Conference)
1999 Hawaii 9–4 overall 5–2 WAC T–1st WAC Won Oahu Bowl 23-17 over Oregon State
2000 Hawaii 3–9 overall 2–6 WAC T–6th WAC
2001 Hawaii 9–3 overall 5–3 WAC T–4th WAC Bowl Eligible but No Bowl Invite got stiffed
2002 Hawaii 10–4 overall 7–1 WAC 2nd WAC Loss Hawaii Bowl 36-28 loss to Tulane Highest Rank held in 2002 #24

Yes, Rolo lost his first game to a respectable Cal Bears team on the road at Sydney Australia 51-31. Finished his first season 7-7 and MWC 2nd West Division with a Hawaii Bowl victory 52-35 over Middle Tennessee.

Took over for Norm Chow
Nick Rolovich Hawaii Warriors (Mountain West Conference)
2016 Hawaii 7–7 overall 4–4 MWC 2nd (MWC West) Won Hawaii Bowl 52-35 over Middle Tennessee
2017 Hawaii 3–9 overall 1–7 MWC T–5th (MWC West)
2018 Hawaii 8–6 overall 5–3 MWC T–2nd (MWC West) Loss Hawaii Bowl 31-14 to Louisiana Tech
2019 Hawaii 10–5 overall 5–3 MWC T–1st (MWC West) Won Hawaii Bowl 38-43 over BYU

Yes, Timmy lost his first game to SEC bottom feeder Vandy by 53 points 63-10, at home in actual Manoa. It's not how you start it's how you finish. I'm looking forward to a strong finish from Timmy, just like June and Rolo 1st seasons.

Took over for Todd Graham
Timmy Chang Hawaii Warriors (Mountain West Conference)
2022 season:
Vandy at home in Manoa Loss 63-10 0-1 overall 0-0 MWC
Western Kentucky at home in Manoa Loss 49-17 0-2 overall 0-0 MWC

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

Irse wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:30 am
Txbow wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:02 pm Agree 110%. I keep hearing 2-3 years to rebuild. But IMHO I don't think UH may have a D-1 team after 2-3 more dismal years. Can't afford to feed the team with a proper training table, the Stadium situation (big "IF" if construction even starts on time), NIL money to compete with (or lack of) etc. etc. I'll say what many others may not want to say. The State of Hawaii and UH have little to no vision for UH Football. The program has wallowed into its current state of hopelessness. Everything thus far has been reactive - and the current sad state of the program show this. Think small and you will get similar results. UH Football hanging on by a thread.....
I disagree a bit on this. I think the UH Football program has a vision but like everything else having to deal with the state, lack funds. The state could care less about UH athletics. That is why they give a little but try to take a lot. When we do well, they try to bask in the glory. The stadium situation is out of UH's control. I wish they could beef up the infrastructure and have it on campus. In the past, when we were doing well, the travel industry should have gotten behind UH and realized that the better we do and can attract better opponents, they benefit because those teams have fans that travel. But it doesn't seem like UH got much help from them.The NIL money has to come from private industry so it has nothing to do with UIH.
The further we get away from the von Appen and Chow years, the less pain we remember but I still think those years were worse.
Dude, no one's telling you to agree with anything. Anyway one spins it the UH Football program is in deep kimchee. And with all the other outside factors that I mentioned - regardless whose fault it is, or not - it's future looks really bleak.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Like a marriage, husband and wife start to pick on each other when there's no money, then that leads to the split and grows wider and have nothing to do with what's going on.

My feeling last year was there were just a few dropped or incomplete passes from everything being OK, and we would be in Year 3 of the Todd Graham era. Winning solves everything... If UH had 8-5 (instead of 6-7), everyone would love Todd Graham.

Some would feel that the past two games were a few deflection and fumble for TDs away from a great start. Winning solves everything...

If we don't commit to Coach XYZ, we have nothing to build on. We expect the next game to be a loss (fair assessment), so the low will be lower. If T-Chang is not having "fun," if more players enter the transfer portal after this season, the low it can get is kind of scary...

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Given our stadium woes and the litany of challenges we have faced, I think it is safe to say that we have reached a kind of low we have not seen before.

And yes, if we don't give them a reason to stay here, players will transfer out again. En mass like last year? I no think so. I think the bradduhood is a real thing, and players do seem to like this coaching staff's approach to things. But rest assured, the bradduhood will be tested in these weeks to come. Am I my brother's keeper? yes. Am I my brother's keeper when we are down and out? We shall see. The good thing we have learned is that the transfer portal can be beneficial for us also.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

If we lose to Duquesne, I would say it's an all time low.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Isn't football schedule are made like 3-4 years in advance? At the time, they said, Rolo will take us to the promise land, bring on Michigan in 2022. No worries.

So the schedule for 2025 or 2026 may be weak as hell.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:52 pm Isn't football schedule are made like 3-4 years in advance? At the time, they said, Rolo will take us to the promise land, bring on Michigan in 2022. No worries.

So the schedule for 2025 or 2026 may be weak as hell.
Playing two PAC 12 schools each year. Stanford both years and Arizona in 2025 and Arizona St. in 2026. The rest is not too hard.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

The people here saying that UH football is at an all-time low weren't in the stadium for the game-losing hook-n-lateral by SW Louisiana that defined the 18-game losing streak between 1997 and 1998. Year 4 of Norm Chow was pretty crappy as well. nothing happening today is as demoralizing and depressing as those two stretches of football. It is very 2022 to use the term "all-time" to describe "right now".

No one cares more about the stadium and its shortcomings more than people who follow UH. Everyone outside of Hawaii may think that it is unfortunate, but it is without the taint of inferiority complex that permeates the feelings here. If this situation were to happen anywhere else in the country, they would simply drive a little farther and play their home games at another venue. The Minnesota Vikings had to close their home stadium for renovations and played two season's worth of home games at the University of Minnesota - that's what practically ANY other school on the continent can do because of geography that UH can't. There are no extra stadiums laying around when you are on an island.

The reality is that UH is no worse off than at least 60 other FBS programs that are on the outside and looking in a the inequality created by conference realignment and NIL influence. Boise, Fresno, SDSU, whatever is left of the AAC - they are all begging and pleading from the outside to be let in to the party. Some may get in, but most will not. Even if we were able to continue the success of 2018-2019, we would still be beggars along with the rest of them. That is our real ceiling, and it has nothing to do with anything within our control.

The stadium thing will get better. I think the team will get better and we may see improvement this season. But our future beyond 2025 mostly hinges on whatever happens to the PAC-12. If we only have a few seasons left of real FBS football left, I prefer not to spend my energy shaking my fist at the sky about things off the field. I'm more concerned about whether or not Ian Shoemaker's offense can find success at the FBS level.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I think it's still hard to tell how the rest of the year will go. This next game is easy to tell but after that maybe get chance. In 1998 we won 1 out of 12 games. I am hopeful we won't break that record
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

dakineguy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:37 pm I think it's still hard to tell how the rest of the year will go. This next game is easy to tell but after that maybe get chance. In 1998 we won 1 out of 12 games. I am hopeful we won't break that record
Sorry but I have to interject since I'm an historian. Your statement is wrong, dakineguy. Hawaii went 0 for 12 that year.

My evidence....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Hawa ... tball_team

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

wyokie wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:41 pm
dakineguy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:37 pm I think it's still hard to tell how the rest of the year will go. This next game is easy to tell but after that maybe get chance. In 1998 we won 1 out of 12 games. I am hopeful we won't break that record
Sorry but I have to interject since I'm an historian. Your statement is wrong, dakineguy. Hawaii went 0 for 12 that year.

You are probably right http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/hawaii.htm it's from Michigan
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

dakineguy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:14 pm

You are probably right http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/hawaii.htm it's from Michigan
O.K. I do know the Hawaii media guides do have the SMU game that year as a loss.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/documents/2 ... b_2022.pdf

If you have acrobat reader, go to page 150 on the very bottom of that page, it lists that game as a 28-0 loss to the Mustangs. Also, go to page 161 on the upper left hand side for the 1988 season for Hawaii.

ALWAYS always check official media guides. That site for Michigan, for the opponents scores in 1998, that was probably done by a fan. Those are not reliable. [-X

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

wyokie wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:27 pm
dakineguy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:14 pm

O.K. I do know the Hawaii media guides do have the SMU game that year as a loss.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/documents/2 ... b_2022.pdf

If you have acrobat reader, go to page 150 on the very bottom of that page, it lists that game as a 28-0 loss to the Mustangs. Also, go to page 161 on the upper left hand side for the 1988 season for Hawaii.

ALWAYS always check official media guides. That site for Michigan, for the opponents scores in 1998, that was probably done by a fan. Those are not reliable. [-X
We won by forfeit because SMU on on their Death Penalty

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Well, at least we never punted on a 4th and goal situation. Rutgers had to punt the ball on a 4th and goal. We've been dysfunctional, but...