The Warriors By The Numbers

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

The Warriors By The Numbers

Post by sarvicdar »

The numbers tell the sad story of what is going wrong with the Warrior football team early in the 2022 season. After 2 games the negatives outweigh the positives.😯

Nothing seems to going right, where the teams mantra is that we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. There's been untimely lapses in all phases of the game-
defense, offense and special teams.😰

With Michigan knocking on the door for a free handout this coming Saturday it's unlikely to get better.😮

Here's the headscratchers after 2 games:🤦‍♂️

20 penalties-the offensive line leads the way with 11. Manning has 4. At this pace this team may end up being the worst penalized team in UH history. Currently UH is near dead last in the FBS in penalties. As one caller to the fan phones commented, most of these penalties are of the selfish variety on the players part, resulting in personal fouls. Agreed. One might also add this is a bad reflection on the Chang coached team, where his notorious predecessors-Graham and Chow showed more discipline than Chang at this point.☹

8 turnovers. Allowed 3 defensive touchdowns.🤢

7 dropped passes. 3 on JP.🤢

32 mistackes-6 on MT.🤢

0 sacks. A total of 3 tackles for losses. Allowed 15 TFL ranking near dead last in the FBS.🤢

0 TD passes🤮😭

On defense allowed 35 plays of 10+ yards or more. Ranked near dead last in the FBS. Call it what you want-mis assignments, mistackles, mistackles, players under talented, under experienced and undercoached. The opponents, I guess, are far superior.😭

On offense registered an average of 13 plays of 10+yards. In comparison last year's Bo lead offense averaged nearly 16 plays of 10+yards a game.🤢

28.13 third down conversion rate. In comparison last year's team registered 35.80. The year before 39.13. UH has punted the ball for an average of 5 times a games whereas the opponents have averaged 2 punts a game. Opponents have averaged 33.3 on third down conversions, which is not bad.🤢

Red zone offense-6 attempts resulting in 2 TD's and 2 FG's.🤢

Scoring defense-allowed an average of 56.0 points a game (expect this number to rise this week against Michigan). Near dead last in the FBS. The offense has averaged 13.5 points a game. On the season UH has been outscored 112-27.😡

With 11 more games on the schedule the hope is that UH shows improvement. For Chang and his players it has been an inauspicious start. I can except the fact that Chang needs time to rebuild. However the HC needs to build a foundation, a culture of doing things fundamentally correct, like tackling, catching the ball and minimizing penalties, and turnovers, which frankly I am not seeing at this point.🎯🏝

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: The Warriors By The Numbers

Post by My3Cats »

I predicted that these first two games would be losses yet hoped for competitive games, but boy, do we suck.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Great analysis Sarvicdar.

Yes, these are the cards we are working with.

This is a new generation of players. And quite frankly, many of them don’t do too well with authoritative coaches and discipline. I not making excuses either. The penalties shall continue, sadly.

And those paltry defensive stats are reflective of a an undersized and average dline and LB core.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

Losing is one thing, and expected from this years' team. Just didn't think a team (UH) could look so bad at losing like we have the last 2 games.

Hawaii77
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hawaii77 »

Hellooo everyone,

It's been many moons since I last posted(different name- I forgot it). I witnessed Derek Tatsuno pitching at Aloha Stadium as an 8th grader and the beginning of Coach Tomeys tenure. I'm a local boy from Kalihi who played high school football, basketball, and threw discus for track.

I bring up coach Tomey as an example of a 1st yr. Head coach with limited exposure to our island culture but who embraced it wholeheartedly and became a beloved local football icon. His team played inspired, hard-nosed, and disciplined football.

I believe coach Tomeys aporoach as a 39 yrs.old head coach of a previously 3-8 team under coach Larry (Katoosh) Price was instrumental in him building a successful program which went from being an independent to a member of the WAC which he then parlayed into a head coaching job at
Arizona.

I believe that coach Tomey knowing he had some time to build up his team took stock of the type of players he had and developed a strategy that relied heavily on the basics of the sport(running,catching, tackling, trusting in each other as well as the coaching staff) combined with a strenuous conditioning and weight program to build as competitive a team as possible and even one greater than the sum of its parts. They played 4 Qtrs. Of football and were rarely blown out or embarrassed.

With that being said, I believe this is the approach that coach Chang must pursue even with 2 games into the season. You may not have 5- star players but the kids you have shouldve come with some tangible skills to play D-1 football. Coach'em up, Run'em hard, drill'em to death and oh yeah, have fun its just a game!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

2005: Jerry Glanville - Colt Brennan - Big-name schools

That year, we began 1-4. Colt had a hard time figuring out the new system. Glanville had to dumb down the defense, because guys like Mel Purcell couldn't figure it out. We played USC, Michigan State, and Wisconsin. When they finished with a 5 - 7 record, fans were howling for a new coach. Well, 2006 changed everything.

There is so much that has me worried about this team. The turnovers have been devastating. This alone may have had an affect on every other failure. The penalties are just plain stupid. While I remember watching a lot of Tomey games, I think McMackin and Graham were the most disciplined which resulted in very few penalties. We've had a substitution penalty in each game which resulted in 2 scores. A lack of penalties makes winning a lot easier. The offense and defense are not executing very well. Is this a result of all of the above? Maybe.

The coaches need to suck-it-up and adjust. Maybe the offense and defense need to be dumbed down, ala Glanville? If your qb's are eating sacks and throwing pick sixes, dumb it down. Again, the D may have been unfairly scape-goated here, but still...something's gotta be adjusted. For Pete sake, foster discipline and stop making stupid penalties!

While it's sad to see Mardner, Muasau, and Cordeiro becoming heroes at other schools, we've gotta remember that we've still got a lot of talent and a team that can definitely play ball. There have been glimpses of it here and there. ;-)

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hopefully the Warriors will get things together by the time that Duquesne rolls into town. Michigan will be a beat down of epic proportions.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Something needs changing coming out of halftime

Code: Select all

Score by Qtr 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Hawaii       10  10    0   7    27
Opponents    14  28   42  28   112

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:39 am Something needs changing coming out of halftime

Looks like we're not making the right adjustments.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:39 am Something needs changing coming out of halftime

Maybe get Michigan to agree to call it a day at halftime, collect $1.9 million, and get out of town ASAP?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:00 am

Maybe get Michigan to agree to call it a day at halftime, collect $1.9 million, and get out of town ASAP?
Chill out. We got this. This is their trap game.