*** Official Chevan Cordeiro Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Chevan Cordeiro In Transfer Portal

Post by kapakahi »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am
bigislandkurt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 am Local recruiting?

All the best local recruits have been going away for years! UH competes for what is left in the barrel after all other schools swoop in. Because we are UH, yes, we have to recruit locally. We have to "offer" the biggest and baddest in our backyard. But truths be told, these players will simply not choose UH. Shoot, if Al and NIko Noga played in this day and age, they'd be playing for Oregon and Alabama respectively.

No matter what, we will still depend on California recruits and a few from Texas, Florida and Samoa. There will always be a few boomerang players who transfer home as well as some JUCO diamonds in the rough who just might want a shot in paradise. I personally hope TG is able to get a few more Texans out this way.

I'm not sold on the whole local recruits thing. The game has changed and all the best players usually leave the state anyway.
On one hand I'll agree with you. On the other I won't. In particular with AJ Bianco and Kona Moore, these are pretty high level recruits that were below the radar because they didn't have a junior year and no video due to Covid. I'm pretty sure they'll go elsewhere now and the minimal pipeline to St. Louis might be severed completely. Don't count on the bounce backs. Like I said, the coconut wireless is burning up. I know for a fact local families are talking as we speak (write) and this transcends high school affiliations.
kapakahi wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:29 pm
kapakahi wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:18 pm
kapakahi wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am
UH's 2020 Signing Class is the first time since the 90's (or possibly earlier) that there have been no Cali HS signees (only Cali JC signees). Hopefully some 2021 offers are made to some Cali HS prospects (though none made thus far).....in addition to the offers already made to Texas HS prospects.
Still concerned that there might not be any Cali HS signees under Coach Graham for a second straight recruiting class for UH....maybe even no Cali JC signees either...,.which would only help strengthen the MWC Cali programs (Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State)....as well as the other non-Cali MWC programs (who all also actively recruit the Cali HS & JC programs)....in recruiting those Cali prospects who aren't heavily recruited by the Pac-12 programs.

Considering that UH regularly plays at least 2 regular season MWC away games in Cali (where plenty of Hawaii transplants attend) & neighboring Nevada whereas regular season away games in either TX or LA are not typically scheduled, JMHO that it would be prudent for Coach Graham to maintain active recruiting connections with the Cali HS (particularly SoCal HS) programs.....to continue to compete for some of the same Cali HS prospects in recruiting against the other MWC Cali programs (Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State) who recruit predominantly in Cali (though FSU & SDSU both also actively recruit in TX as well as get transfer portal players)....especially for this 2021 Recruiting Class (since there are some top SoCal HS prospects still available - some who are recent de-commitments from Pac-12 programs and are now being recruited by the MWC Cali programs.
bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:48 pm
I like what a I see. Given TG's lineage, I trust we will see signees from the fertile football grounds of Texas and Louisiana. I'm sure we still got strong connections in Cali too. I trust the coaches to bring in recruits that will help us win. Winning cures (mostly) all.
bigislandkurt wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:35 am
Cali will always be a prime recruiting ground for UH. I got no problem however, if our Texas presence is not greatly enhanced TG. I am absolutely good with that! Louisiana appears to be in the mix too! Again, I am good with that! Coach is a Texan, and he certainly speaks and understands the “regional language.”
While it's a positive that both TX & LA are becoming new recruiting pipelines for UH, hopefully UH will also continue to recruit Cali (especially SoCal) high schools (and not just JCs)…..since this past 2020 Signing Class did not include any Cali HS signees (being that DE Gabriel Iniguez was a Rolo greyshirt recruit) for the 1st time since back in the mid-90's (when von Appen was the HC).

Hopefully Graham continues to actively recruit Cali (or at least SoCal) high schools (and not just JCs)....and comes to realize that 10 productive starters (Jared Smart, Melquise Stovall, Miles Reed, Solo Vaipulu, Gene Pryor, Justus Tavai, Khoury Bethley, Quentin Frazier, Eugene Ford, Michael Washington) are all Cali HS products.….with Abe Elimimian & Victor Santa Cruz both definitely have Cali recruiting connections....especially with the local 2021 HS recruiting class generally considered to be a down-year (in terms of overall quality & quantity)....and since this staff also does not seem to have any recruiting ties with Amerika Samoa, Arizona, Nevada nor Utah.
TG has not actively recruited nor signed a Cali HS recruit in his 2020 and 2021 Signing Classes. TG possibly has realized his error by now maybe trying to actively recruit 2022 Cali HS and JC prospects.

TG also has not actively recruited nor signed an American Samoa HS recruit in his 2020 and 2021 Signing Classes....not counting Blessman's younger brother Maurice who signed with UH in the 2020 Early Signing Period with Rolo and also not counting Mililani HS LB Sonny Semeatu who signed in 2021. Will have to wait and see if any American Samoa HS recruit gets signed by TG in this 2022 Signing Class....given that American Samoa has been shutdown throughout the pandemic with no personal recruiting access by any programs.

For this particular 2022 Signing Class, most P5 programs have not been able to personally assess the top 2022 (nor 2023) local HS prospects as in typical years for several pandemic-related reasons (2020 local HS season cancelled; no 2020 and 2021 local football camps; limited 2020 and 2021 Cali football camps; 2021 local HS season not allowing fans (ILH) or being delayed (all the other leagues including the OIA). Instead, they are mostly relying on second-hand information from their local recruiting connections. The top 2022 and 2023 local HS prospects who have got offers from P5 programs either transferred to mainland HS programs, attended the mainland camps, and/or have paid out-of-pocket to take unofficial visits.

Accordingly (and ironically) because of the local pandemic restrictions, this 2022 Signing Class presented UH with its best opportunity (compared to most typical years) to successfully recruit those top 2022 local HS prospects who have remained under-the-radar (like Cordeiro & Muasau did previously).

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I like Texas players but I don’t want team to become University of Texas at Hawaii. It won’t be the same.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 pm I like Texas players but I don’t want team to become University of Texas at Hawaii. It won’t be the same.
you said what I wanted to say. this is 100% how I feel. what's the point of coaching here if you don't want to embrace the talent pipeline here and the culture that comes with it.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

For the Hawaii Bowl, who will be QB2 (especially IF Schager's helmet comes off during the game and has to come off the field)?

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

kapakahi wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm For the Hawaii Bowl, who will be QB2 (especially IF Schager's helmet comes off during the game and has to come off the field)?
I’m guessing It will be Turner for a few snaps. If Schager is out long term for some reason then I’m really not sure. I don’t know who officially is the third string QB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Schager, talk about being at the right place at the right time. Dreams often don't come that quickly.

Back to Turner, are we sure he played QB before? The few opportunities he had, does not look like to played the position before.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:39 pm Schager, talk about being at the right place at the right time. Dreams often don't come that quickly.

Back to Turner, are we sure he played QB before? The few opportunities he had, does not look like to played the position before.
He was an option QB.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:37 pm
honu888 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:13 pm I admit I was one that criticized him during the middle of the season when he was struggling with his accuracy but now I’m bummed that he’s transferring. I’m pretty damn sure any of the other MW Coaches would give their left “you know what” to have him on their roster. I’m wondering if he could excel in any of the power conferences like Tua did at Alabama. Maybe with the proper support and coaching who knows? Anyways I wish him the very best wherever he lands.
I wish Chevan well but he’s not as talented a passer that Tua is. He’d have to land in the right situation to be a starter outright.
JMHO that Chevan is every bit as talented as deLaura who has been a 2-year starter (since his true frosh season) for Wazzu in the Pac-12 Conference.....and probably more talented than the current starting QBs at a few other Pac-12 Conference schools.
He's not accurate, lacks arm strength - a la a poor man's T Chang. The biggest issue is his inability to reading the D, anticipation and field vision. His running ability is obviously better than TC.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:28 am

He's not accurate, lacks arm strength - a la a poor man's T Chang. The biggest issue is his inability to reading the D, anticipation and field vision. His running ability is obviously better than TC.
This sums it up. Everyone assume SL QB = Chang, Tua or Mariota. I get it, hard to argue against the track record.

It kind of reminds me of Norm Chow at his press conference. In his exact words "the first thing I'm going to do is to drive up to Laie." I was wondering why? Did Norm need to go sight seeing? There may be talented players at Roosevelt or Aiea. Don't just assume Laie = future UH all stars.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:18 am
Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:28 am

This sums it up. Everyone assume SL QB = Chang, Tua or Mariota. I get it, hard to argue against the track record.

It kind of reminds me of Norm Chow at his press conference. In his exact words "the first thing I'm going to do is to drive up to Laie." I was wondering why? Did Norm need to go sight seeing? There may be talented players at Roosevelt or Aiea. Don't just assume Laie = future UH all stars.
I compared Chevan to TC bc they come from the same system and more importantly have the same characteristics as outlined above.

if you don't understand the lineage and track record of those Laie boys, then you are probably not knowledgable in regards to FB. Of course, there will be good players at other locations on the islands, however, Laie is a hot bed and the best players in ILH ( STL, Pun, Kam) have poly players from Laie. Imagine if they kept all of their players at Kahuku. No one could compete with them. They've been prominent for 30 yrs. Definitely not true fir Roosevelt or Aiea for God sake.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm
RedZone wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:00 pm I like Texas players but I don’t want team to become University of Texas at Hawaii. It won’t be the same.
you said what I wanted to say. this is 100% how I feel. what's the point of coaching here if you don't want to embrace the talent pipeline here and the culture that comes with it.
...and yet, we have embraced many quarterbacks outside of the pipeline like: Colt Brennan, Ralph Cherry, Michael Carter, Nick Rolovich, Dru Brown, Dan Robinson... With Tomey, Mack, and Rolo, we had inroads to other areas in recruiting. Heck, even Von Crappen brought us awesome players from places distant to the aina. I doubt that Graham would ever deny the starting position to a seasoned starter in favor of a true freshman recruit from Texas. Chevan Cordeiro clearly struggled, but his back-up was also clearly not ready to take on the lead role. I really don't think any of this has to do with Chevan's reason to leave the program. In fact, I think it is a mistake on Chevan's part.

Hawaii will never become the University of Texas/Cali/Nevada. And yet, just as all those places have stolen our talent...we gotta get some too. Hawaii is profoundly the representative of Polynesian football. Yes, we have elements of West Coast and South West...including Texas...but we will always be primarily Poly! No one else can say that...well, BYU is close.

One need only look to the stories of Marcus Mariota and McKenzie Milton to answer the question as to why local talent departs. Why can't we take back?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

next man up. This is the age of the transfer portal. 2nd and 3rd stringers who want playing time will transfer. Star players in the mid conferences will move up to better conferences especially if they can get closer to home. Homesick players will transfer. Snowflake players will transfer. There will be no loyalties.

I would also do most of my major recruiting from the portal although Hawaii will be at a major disadvantage.........distance from family and friends. Most transfers want to go where family and friends can watch them play. Hawaii in that sense is not a good fit. The search is on for skilled players with speed.

So far Dae Dae is the biggest lost. He will end up closer to home in Colorado. Ige shutting things down hurt our team a lot. Mainland player families could not make it to games. Games were open on the mainland.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Chevan just posted a pic of himself in a San Jose jersey to his IG story.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:34 am Chevan just posted a pic of himself in a San Jose jersey to his IG story.
I checked his IG page and don't see it. That would suck having to play against him twice if he goes there.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:00 am
poidog wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:34 am Chevan just posted a pic of himself in a San Jose jersey to his IG story.
I checked his IG page and don't see it. That would suck having to play against him twice if he goes there.
https://ibb.co/JycKJKB