Yoro and Brown need to go

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Yoro and Brown need to go

Post by truewarriorfan »

Why do we think platooning the defense is a good idea. Every time we do that guys are out of position. Like when no one covers the receiver in the end zone.

Also the Linebacker’s don’t read and react. They lack speed straight and lateral speed they only seem to torpedo into the line by that time the running back is 10 yards down the field. Tackling was the worst I ever seen. Missing tackles left and right. The linebackers look lost in the mix.

If this defense doesn’t develop a legitimate Pass Rush, tackle or read and react it’s going to be a very very long season.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Yoro and Brown need to go

Post by Palolo_2LA »

truewarriorfan wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:34 pm Why do we think platooning the defense is a good idea. Every time we do that guys are out of position. Like when no one covers the receiver in the end zone.

Also the Linebacker’s don’t read and react. They lack speed straight and lateral speed they only seem to torpedo into the line by that time the running back is 10 yards down the field. Tackling was the worst I ever seen. Missing tackles left and right. The linebackers look lost in the mix.

If this defense doesn’t develop a legitimate Pass Rush, tackle or read and react it’s going to be a very very long season.
First UH has always given up big yards against good rushing teams, Vandy has legit speed at the skill positions and this is a new defensive scheme. Progress will take time, Chicken Little. Let's remove the emotions and face the stark reality - Vandy is way better than UH.

It was clear that the Vandy line was pushing the DL back, which impacts lanes, they were getting to second level too, which is disastrous for LBs. Most notable LBs in UH history would have also missed those 1 on 1 tackles bc those jump cuts were legit by their RB.

The fumbles that lead to 14 points, untimely penalties and that bad decision to decline the holfing penalty to make it 4th and 5 vs 3rd and 15 changed the momentum.
Last edited by Palolo_2LA on Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Vandy and the Warrior's future opponents have to be licking their chops.

Vandy probably saw what I saw, namely a defense that sat back and waited for the action to come to them.

All 3 LBs sat flat footed, reacted slow and lost containment on the edge. I saw very few stunts or plays from the LBs

at disrupting the play. In fact I question why were the LBs playing so deep. #42 looked lost and got beat on a

number of plays. Ditto for #1 and #17. Was Yoro playing a prevent defense?

For the game the Warriors had 0 tackles for losses. When's the last time that's happened? Back

in 2014 against CSU.

When Chang announced the Yoro hiring I cringed then and even moreso now.

Vandy had 400 yards rushing, GS, and took a stroll thru the park. Was that the best the

defense can do? Namely forcing Vandy into punting once?

There were games in the past where the opponent was talented, bigger and faster however

the Warriors never looked that bad or were undercoached as in the Vandy game.

Last season Yoro was part of a defense that underachieved and he had the pieces. He turned

a steak into a hamburger. All I got say say is good luck to the Warrior successes but I don't think

Yoro was the answer. This hiring was so reminiscent of Graham hiring his son as OC as Chang also

hired his buddy from HS, where I have to think that there were more qualified applicants to choose from.
Last edited by sarvicdar on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Sometimes, maybe all they have are their friends, to take the job.

If a perspective candidate want to come to Hawaii. They are going to call Norm Chow and ask him. They are going to call Todd Graham. They are going to call Mac. They are also are going to call Rolo. I'm not sure what Rolo will say IMO.

Then not press the Submit button on the application.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Give it time. Every thing is new.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

Hawaii's defense was bad last year and underperformed based on its talent. But Yoro as LB coach got promoted to Defensive Coordinator anyway. Chris Brown brings a connection to Bishop Gorman but is inexperienced at the college level. I would have liked to see Chang bring in a defensive coach from Nevada or another FBS college but we have what we have. Let's give Yoro a year. If the defense still thinks, I hope Chang fires Yoro and upgrades with a coach with experience.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

ton15t4k wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:16 pm Hawaii's defense was bad last year and underperformed based on its talent. But Yoro as LB coach got promoted to Defensive Coordinator anyway. Chris Brown brings a connection to Bishop Gorman but is inexperienced at the college level. I would have liked to see Chang bring in a defensive coach from Nevada or another FBS college but we have what we have. Let's give Yoro a year. If the defense still thinks, I hope Chang fires Yoro and upgrades with a coach with experience.
Timmy was hired late when the better coaches already had a job. Just wondering if Yoro was his number one choice.
That being said, I don't think the D played as badly as it seemed this past game (first game they were as bad as it seemed). The offense gave up the ball 6 times and often deep in their own territory including one TD. The offense has given up as many TDs as it has scored so far this season.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

T-Chang will not fire Yoro. They both local, from STL. Braddahood among the coaches. Aside from that, firing anyone is not good for the program. The program is already at level zero.

Everyone just need to struggle through this, including us fans, even if it's 0-13 this year.

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

Not to mention there probably aren't a lot of DCs that are willing to take what Yoro is getting paid, has local ties and can GET BETTER.

Holy S**t overreaction much? It's two games in with a roster of NEW PLAYERS that equates to a FULL NFL ROSTER. Give it time and like cabanalane said we need to tough this season out, firing a coach two games into a season doesn't help anyone let alone TWO especially one that has a strong pipeline to one of the best HS in the NATION.

the fact OP's name is "truewarriorfan" is absolutely laughable :lol:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

CityOfWalrus wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:07 am Not to mention there probably aren't a lot of DCs that are willing to take what Yoro is getting paid, has local ties and can GET BETTER.

Holy S**t overreaction much? It's two games in with a roster of NEW PLAYERS that equates to a FULL NFL ROSTER. Give it time and like cabanalane said we need to tough this season out, firing a coach two games into a season doesn't help anyone let alone TWO especially one that has a strong pipeline to one of the best HS in the NATION.

the fact OP's name is "truewarriorfan" is absolutely laughable :lol:
Are you trying to reel him into a debate? You need to do a better job trolling than that.

truewarriorfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by truewarriorfan »

So if he doesn’t have any college Division 1 college coaching experience it’s ok because he has a pipeline to a high school who sends legit Division 1 players to legit programs. Makes sense let’s sacrifice our Linebacker play to get players from that high school where Hawaii is their only D1 offer. All the while I watch the Hawaii defense out of position for the third straight game. Plus we still cannot tackle but that will take a back seat also because now we have some sort of pipeline.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

this is the ridiculous overreaction I come here for.

maybe they need to go, maybe they don't. but making that decision based on what you see in the middle of the Michigan game as 50 point underdogs is hilarious.

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

poidog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 pm this is the ridiculous overreaction I come here for.

maybe they need to go, maybe they don't. but making that decision based on what you see in the middle of the Michigan game as 50 point underdogs is hilarious.
Hawaii had some bright spots against Michigan. Hawaii had less penalties, the o-line played better, no interceptions. As for the defense, it played to my expectations. Next week's game will give a good barometer of where the team is.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ton15t4k wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:14 pm
poidog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:22 pm this is the ridiculous overreaction I come here for.

Hawaii had some bright spots against Michigan. Hawaii had less penalties, the o-line played better, no interceptions. As for the defense, it played to my expectations. Next week's game will give a good barometer of where the team is.
Agree. But for myself I am hoping to see a lot of improvement. I think they can.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Ya'll gotta put things in perspective. CFB is unpredictable. This week: Texas nearly upset Alabama. Arkansas continued to be lucky. Vanderbilt got buried by the Demon Decons. UCF showed off their stuff...and still got upset by Louisville. Marshall upset Nortre Dame! Appalachian State upset Texas A&M! Wazu upset Wisconsin! There are more stories to tell. IDK...I see an unpolished gem in Hawaii. Let's hope for the coaches and players to see the light.

Yoro and Brown are to blame? IDK. We'll see.