Thoughts on the QB’s.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Re: Thoughts on the QB’s.

Post by BigWave96744 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:18 pm Obviously we do not have a QB.

Not a new story. We've been through this before.

Inoke Funake, Bryant Moniz.....were buried in the QB race at one time, only to emerge as eventual starters. Who knows where this QB race take us? Maybe Armani Eden emerges as da man! ok, maybe not.

Hopefully someone emerges. Sooner than later.
Yes and remember when Dru Brown was the starter in 2016, people were saying Cole McDonald couldn't hit the side of a barn and should change positions to RB or TE. Never know who will rise up.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 am
bigislandkurt wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:18 pm Obviously we do not have a QB.

Not a new story. We've been through this before.

Inoke Funake, Bryant Moniz.....were buried in the QB race at one time, only to emerge as eventual starters. Who knows where this QB race take us? Maybe Armani Eden emerges as da man! ok, maybe not.

Hopefully someone emerges. Sooner than later.
I recall seeing Moniz walking along side 3 other QBs after practice once. And wondered "who's that short guy. Get chance or what."

Bryant Moniz is #3 on my list of greatest QBs in (modern) UH history.
Don't know if he'd be in my top three, but definitely top 5. Moniz was special.
Hopefully one of these QB's currently on the roster finds that magic. Not good if we gotta keep asking who is our QB this week.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:57 am
Yes and remember when Dru Brown was the starter in 2016, people were saying Cole McDonald couldn't hit the side of a barn and should change positions to RB or TE. Never know who will rise up.
[/quote]

With just Week 1, Dru Brown is who Schager reminds me of. I think he can start. May be the best you got. I think you can hang your hat on. Go through Year 1, and maybe even Year 2.

But he may not be IT, or T-Chang's guy at QB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

bigislandkurt wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:27 am

Don't know if he'd be in my top three, but definitely top 5. Moniz was special.
Hopefully one of these QB's currently on the roster finds that magic. Not good if we gotta keep asking who is our QB this week.
You are right, I may move Mighty Mo down to 4th, behind Michael Carter.

It's really unfortunately he (Moniz) broke his leg. Everything tanked after that. Not just W vs L, but the spirit of the team.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Put in Cooper in bc he's got way better wheels than the other 2 QBs. His legs will help since this OL is really porous.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

My conclusion?
Exactly what the coaches have known all along.

Our Qb’s all need work. ALL of them.

Patience would be the best pill to swallow at this point. I still believe Shager is the better of the three. And that is not saying much at the moment. These are the cards we play with.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I agree with the poster that said BS should step into the pocket instead of having happy feet. His HS tapes showed the same flaw. The radio commentator said the same thing. For BS he graded a 81 (according to pff.com) against WK. He was 22-33 and threw 4 interceptions however 5 of his passes were dropped (another 2 by JP, gs). There's a lot of positives that came out of the WK game imo. He stretched the field in some instances (2 big time throws) and threw imo a nice ball to his receivers. If he can build from this game and show continued improvement he should be the number 1 QB (BTW JY graded a 37). I would say he will start against Michigan.

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

Yep, Schager, despite the interceptions, was moving the offense. More reps will hopefully help him get into a groove and become more consistent.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Shoko wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:55 am Yep, Schager, despite the interceptions, was moving the offense. More reps will hopefully help him get into a groove and become more consistent.
2 picks bounced off the receiver. The other two were just bad decisions
ImageImage

Shoko

Post by Shoko »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am
Shoko wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:55 am Yep, Schager, despite the interceptions, was moving the offense. More reps will hopefully help him get into a groove and become more consistent.
Yeah, he's probably watching film and shaking his head over the bad throws like that pick 6 from the big dude. The guy was pretty mobile for a lineman, though.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Because I think Schager has good potential, can be the future Starter QB1A, and just need a bit more time (learning), I think he should take the Redshirt and sit out.

This team is going to rebuild and rebuild hard. I would not be surprise if the team goes for 0-13 (I did not count the total).

Better Schager come back and give UH 3 solid years at the Starter.

Still believe T-Chang can turn it around. Just not sure how patience fans are. Chants start at 2.5 years. We talked about inheriting Chow guys, Rolo guys, and now Todd Graham guys. We need to see "Timmy Chang's guys." It's a 4 year contract. Let's let the HC play it out, win or not.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Shoko wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:53 am
Irse wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am
Yeah, he's probably watching film and shaking his head over the bad throws like that pick 6 from the big dude. The guy was pretty mobile for a lineman, though.
I like Schager. He is struggling a little bit but his receivers and olinemen aren’t helping the situation. Tough to be a qb on an offense that is on the rebuild. But he is tough and I like that in a qb. Just look at the Western Kentucky qb. I think Schager just needs more game reps. Coach needs to give him a full game. Then he can step up and be its leader. They need a leader on the field. I think he can.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:00 pm Put in Cooper in bc he's got way better wheels than the other 2 QBs. His legs will help since this OL is really porous.
It's too bad that Cooper got tackled by that turf monster, otherwise he may have scored.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

One thing that Schager is lacking (out of many things) is when to throw a ball with touch and not just rifle it in there. Wonder if that was the cause of some of the ricocheted, and dropped passes.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Yellen just wasn't delivering.