anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Re: Thoughts on the QB’s.

Post by anykine »

coach shoemaker has a history of success at putting points on the board.our offense looks stale.maybe our qb’s don’t fit his mold.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

i think cammon cooper deserves a shot.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Cooper is QB 3 for a reason. We have not seen his arm yet so I cannot say that he is ready for his shot. He did actually get his shot…and was used as a runner. One play he looked awesome and got us a TD! The other play, not so good. Turf monster. But we still don’t know about his arm. We are still a pass first team, and the coaches gonna roll with the passers they believe can maintain that identity.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:30 am Cooper is QB 3 for a reason. We have not seen his arm yet so I cannot say that he is ready for his shot. He did actually get his shot…and was used as a runner. One play he looked awesome and got us a TD! The other play, not so good. Turf monster. But we still don’t know about his arm. We are still a pass first team, and the coaches gonna roll with the passers they believe can maintain that identity.
I remember when Cole McDonald was used just for running plays because he had wheels when he first came to UH. He developed into one of our better QB’s giving UH Dual Threat capabilitIes. Then Chevan Cordeiro started giving defenses fits with his dual threat skills.

Not sure If Cooper and McDonald are comparable as QB’s, but having a dual threat QB would provide Coach Shoemaker another offensive threat for his offense.

I would like to see Cooper get an opportunity.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

cooper is a lefty.shoemaker must be reluctant to change up the offensive line to protect his blind side.

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

anykine wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:53 pm cooper is a lefty.shoemaker must be reluctant to change up the offensive line to protect his blind side.
Especially when as of late the OL already has so much trouble as it is protecting any QB period.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Going back to the Turf Monster play, I thought it looked like it would be a TD. That may "haunt" him in the film room, but I would not hold it against him. The play was there IMO.

At this point, I would give Cooper a legit chance to start. See what he can do.

The thing is, next game? Sure, I think we expect a loss.

The good thing is, UH have not started conference play yet. So still get chance for a great season.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

After 2 games I think that if we don’t fix our blocking on offense it don’t matter who plays at quarterback. Especially that 2 gap blitz where they double on our nose with the unblocked play ending up in the face of our qb. That will throw the timing off of any quarterback.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1567589255979081729 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1567605118505459712

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Even thou Michigan was playing their 2nd or 3rd string guys, you can seen Yellen was "better" toward the 2nd half.

Pick one guy (any guy), let him play, stick with him, and he may be The Guy after 4-5 games.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:43 am Even thou Michigan was playing their 2nd or 3rd string guys, you can seen Yellen was "better" toward the 2nd half.

Pick one guy (any guy), let him play, stick with him, and he may be The Guy after 4-5 games.
Agree they should know who by now barring injuries. At least set the depth chart.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

Sounds like Yellen is still the starter because Shager is still nursing some kind of injury. I'm not sold at all on Yellen, but hopefully he does things to change my mind this weekend.....like bring home the first victory.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

During the Michigan game the announcer described BS injury as a shoulder injury. He didn't elaborate if it was his throwing arm. This information might explain why BS doesn't throw long. Even going back to last season he was throwing short unlike what I saw in his HS tapes (I thought gunslinger). There could be a chronic condition affecting BS play, which is speculation on my part. But when I put 2 and 2 together the Big 10 announcer may be on to something.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:09 pm Sounds like Yellen is still the starter because Shager is still nursing some kind of injury. I'm not sold at all on Yellen, but hopefully he does things to change my mind this weekend.....like bring home the first victory.
Yellen should just continue to be the Starter. You can see he was getting more comfortable toward the 2nd half (against the 2nd or 3rd string guys).

Shager should just red shirt and come back next year. He can be UH's QB of the future.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

That certainly makes sense. But nah. I prefer a competition. May the best QB play. And in my opinion, I still believe Shager is better than Yellen. Maybe it's just going to be a 2 QB year. Either way, Yellen gets the start this Saturday. It's a great opportunity for he to hold on to the job. If he struggles against these guys, then perhaps that will answer more questions about him.