Thinnest Position

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Thinnest Position

Post by uhwarriors »

Our thinnest position is the wideouts. We don’t have a lot of experience or speed with our two deep. Bowens is our only true deep threat and game breaker. Oft injured Panoke is a solid receiver when healthy, a good route runner and can occasionally get open deep. The next two up are walkon Ihu and RS/Fr Walthall. Ihu is a dependable type who can sneak by a DB occasionally and Walthall is athletic with hops. After the two deep, true FR Hines, Perry and Ashlock are up next. The three FR are lanky and pretty fast. All of them need to get a lot more consistent and stronger.

We have a lot more depth and experience at slotback with Scott, Phillips and Mokiao-Atimalala. RB Hines may also slip into a SB position. Generally only one SB will be in at one time. So I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the SB lines up as a wideout on occasion lending experience and some speed to that position.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Thinnest Position

Post by Irse »

Hope nobody gets hurt and Panoke can make it through the year without his back acting up.
ImageImage

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I’m saying DLine.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:07 pm I’m saying DLine.
Kinda agree here.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ummm...The defensive line does not look thin. We've got seven 270-305 pounders. Blessman just got named team captain. Finau is a 3 star freshman. Moala was defensive lineman of the year in high school. Tuitopou is solid. Sagapolutele is a nice addition from UNLV. Shaw is experienced. Moe is a promising freshman from Kauai. It looks like we've got plenty of depth of speedy defensive linemen too. The transfer from Arkansas had 31 tackles, 3.0 tackles-for-loss, half a sack, and a fumble recovery in 33 career games there.

IDK, I think you guys are gonna be surprised by this unit led by Blessman.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

Thank you for the visual. I’m stoked for this group. But aside from Blessman and John, this group is largely unproven and untested. I think most of them are pretty light. That don’t usually work out too well against teams who got some big nasties on the oline. If run plays are getting 3-4 yards a pop, those lighter dlinemen can get worn down, fast. I hope you are right. I want to be surprised by this group.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

It is on the edge that we have been beaten. We need to contain and stop chasing. We will need to rush the passer better than last year but our most effective rushers are gone. I hope that we can fill the void. They have a qb that can throw. And one that can run really fast. I still think that we will have to keep them off of the field.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Let me introduce you to the new faces:

ImageMalachi Finau: 6'2" 275lb freshman from an LA power conference. 31 tackles and a sack in his sr. year.

ImageMataio Soli: 6'4" 230lb transfer from Arkansas. He played against Vandy a few times...I recon.

ImageTariq Jones: 6'2 240lb red-shirt freshman from Louisiana. A top 25 recruit of Louisiana.

ImageSonny Semeatu: 6'0" 260lb freshman from Millilani. The no. 11 prospect from Hawaii.

ImageWynden Ho'ohuli: 6' 3" 240lb freshman transfer from the U. of Nebraska. Hawaii's #1 recruit.

ImageDean Briski: 6'6" 255lb freshman from Samoa. Played hoops, T.E., and D.E. Led his league in sacks.

ImageEtuate Moala: 6'3" 290lb transfer(Army, Riverside CC.?). His high school's defensive lineman of the year.

ImageAndrew Jaoliu: 6'3" 255lb transfer from Oregon. Played Mater Dei and with the Ducks for 3 years.

ImageJojo Falo: 6'2" 265lb transfer from Cal Poly.

ImageAnthony Sagapolutele: 5'11" 270lb transfer from UNLV.

ImageTali Moe: 6'3" 275lb freshman from Kauai.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Look pretty thin tonight but our linebacker play did not help at all.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

RedZone wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:17 pm Look pretty thin tonight but our linebacker play did not help at all.
From what I witnessed at the game, the talent superiority became apparent near the end of Q1. Don't be discouraged Warror Nation, bc from field view Vandy had a huge , strong and fast team. Their QB1 , RB 1and SB 1 were simply better. I walked pass their team during warm up and each position had prototypical SEC size. Furthermore, perhaps a handful of Warrior could make that Vandy roster and doubt any would start.

No shame in losing to a better team. UH didn't look down, kept fighting and that's a valuable lesson. The RnS seem routes and rub routes weren't used, which surprised me, especially the few times we were in the redzone and didn't get a TD.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

Looks like our entire defense was thin.

Dline was easily handled with virtually no pressure on the QB ever. Granted, that was one nimble QB. But over 300 yards rushing? There is not much to be said for our dline if that was the case. The rest of the D had a big tackling problem. Many were out of position and those upper-body two hand touch tackles simply won't do it this season. Our defense was psychologically demoralized. Coaching will matter greatly this week.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thinnest position? Tacklers.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The Warrior are the thinnest at seasoned coaching. And it shows. Almost every position group has an assistant/OC/DC/LB that is just getting his feet wet at the FBS level. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so prophetic for I wrote and hoped that Shoemaker doesn't turn into another Tommy Lee (OC under Chow, who also came from an FCS school that put up huge number but fizzled at Hawaii). Chang said he will run a little of everything which against Vandy translated in running a little of nothing-no pistol, no shuffle passes, or successful screens, no QB under center, no 2 back. Nothing to peak my excitement. No success at long passes or even intermediate passes. It was worse that watching Bo (I will be honest). Granted that that the Warriors are lean at some position groups however I think it's more apparent at looking at this coaching staff. If the consensus think the LB's looked lost, played out of position and couldn't tackle who do you think this falls on.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 am The Warrior are the thinnest at seasoned coaching. And it shows. Almost every position group has an assistant/OC/DC/LB that is just getting his feet wet at the FBS level. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so prophetic for I wrote and hoped that Shoemaker doesn't turn into another Tommy Lee (OC under Chow, who also came from an FCS school that put up huge number but fizzled at Hawaii). Chang said he will run a little of everything which against Vandy translated in running a little of nothing-no pistol, no shuffle passes, or successful screens, no QB under center, no 2 back. Nothing to peak my excitement. No success at long passes or even intermediate passes. It was worse that watching Bo (I will be honest). Granted that that the Warriors are lean at some position groups however I think it's more apparent at looking at this coaching staff. If the consensus think the LB's looked lost, played out of position and couldn't tackle who do you think this falls on.
Very sound points.

Chang and Chow two different coaches. I'm not too worried about the playcalling....yet. The players still gotta execute and hold on to the ball. There were some things to feel good about. I'm very interested to see how we adjust to week 2. As for Yoro and Brown's linebackers, I'm sure the film room won't be a fun place to be. Coach 'em up coaches.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I have already put this game behind me. I hope coach stops this musical chairs with our qbs. It’s obvious that whoever they choose to start needs more reps. Make a choice and stick with em. I am fine with either one.