HS Football Fanatic

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: HS Football Fanatic

Post by rrforlifebaby »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 am I'm visiting again right now to report that I understand that Punahou alumni almost certainly dislike Kahuku High right now. I'm posting this because yesterday, a Sacred Hearts alumna told me that she doesn't like Kahuku (High) because they're "arrogant". She said she doesn't like how they have parades when they win a state football title. That struck me, because some fifteen years ago a Kailua alumna told me exactly the same thing. The Kailua alumna didn't call Kahuku (High) arrogant, but said that she (too) resented the parades. The Sacred Hearts alumna said that while she doesn't love Punahou (School), she wouldn't have minded if they had won, because she didn't like Kahuku's (Kahuku High's) arrogance. When I explained to her that I dislike Punahou (School) because they win so many state titles every year, she said she still dislikes Kahuku's (Kahuku High's) arrogance more.
It's amazing how different we can be than each other. Most of the people I have spoken to over the years dislike Punahou School. For example, about ten years ago, a Mililani alumnus said, "I hate Punahou (School) because they win too much". Those were his exact words; all I added was, "(School)". And, while I don't hate Punahou School, I certainly dislike them, and for the same reason.
So, I guess I'm posting this to provide some balance. While Punahou alumni might be aware that many people dislike their alma mater, and at this time might resent Kahuku High, it might be comforting for them to know that there are people who dislike Kahuku High as well; people who aren't even Punahou alumni.
Hater's going to hate. It's funny though, because back in day when St Louis was winning all those Prep bowls, i heard they used to shut down areas (not sure if it was a street or block) for the celebrations.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:58 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 am I'm visiting again right now to report that I understand that Punahou alumni almost certainly dislike Kahuku High right now. I'm posting this because yesterday, a Sacred Hearts alumna told me that she doesn't like Kahuku (High) because they're "arrogant". She said she doesn't like how they have parades when they win a state football title. That struck me, because some fifteen years ago a Kailua alumna told me exactly the same thing. The Kailua alumna didn't call Kahuku (High) arrogant, but said that she (too) resented the parades. The Sacred Hearts alumna said that while she doesn't love Punahou (School), she wouldn't have minded if they had won, because she didn't like Kahuku's (Kahuku High's) arrogance. When I explained to her that I dislike Punahou (School) because they win so many state titles every year, she said she still dislikes Kahuku's (Kahuku High's) arrogance more.
It's amazing how different we can be than each other. Most of the people I have spoken to over the years dislike Punahou School. For example, about ten years ago, a Mililani alumnus said, "I hate Punahou (School) because they win too much". Those were his exact words; all I added was, "(School)". And, while I don't hate Punahou School, I certainly dislike them, and for the same reason.
So, I guess I'm posting this to provide some balance. While Punahou alumni might be aware that many people dislike their alma mater, and at this time might resent Kahuku High, it might be comforting for them to know that there are people who dislike Kahuku High as well; people who aren't even Punahou alumni.
Hater's going to hate. It's funny though, because back in day when St Louis was winning all those Prep bowls, i heard they used to shut down areas (not sure if it was a street or block) for the celebrations.
@rrforlifebaby:

Back when St Louis School dominated football for some fifteen-straight years, I resented them, too. In fact, many people I knew hated that school because of its football dominance. By the way, congratulations on your alma mater's victory. I mean, I don't mind that Kahuku High has parades after winning state football titles; doesn't bother me at all. At least Kahuku High doesn't hog-cheese the lion's share of state titles in other sports every year the way Punahou School does. For me, that got real old, a long time ago.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Just watching Punahou bashing Mililani was demeaning. With a little more then 1 minute left and a 21 pt lead, the Pun 1st.string was still in. They finished with another TD and it was their last TD of the season. Did Kia think maybe an injury would occur? In any case Kahuku is a bonified football program. Very few public schools can reach these lofty position. The trifica of Defense, Lefau,Ah You and Fonoimoana will be missed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:55 pm
Just watching Punahou bashing Mililani was demeaning. With a little more then 1 minute left and a 21 pt lead, the Pun 1st.string was still in. They finished with another TD and it was their last TD of the season. Did Kia think maybe an injury would occur? In any case Kahuku is a bonified football program. Very few public schools can reach these lofty position. The trifica of Defense, Lefau,Ah You and Fonoimoana will be missed.
@TheNewNORM:

First off, thanks again for starting this thread back in early-August. I'm humbled that you would be concerned; I don't know what to say. Thanks again.

Getting to your current post, yes: I'd imagine Punahou School has gotten itself on the doo-doo lists of many if not most Mililani alumni. I know that for one Mililani alumnus, Punahou School was already on his doo-doo list as far back as 2014 or so, when he told me, "I hate Punahou (School); they win too much". Those were his exact words; all I added was, "(School)". I don't exactly love Mililani High, as they take more titles than many schools. But, I'd much rather have them than Punahou School. Like that Mililani alumnus, I have had it up to my keister with Punahou School winning the lion's share of state titles in all sports every year. I mean, I don't know about you, but I really resent that.
When Kahuku beat Punahou, I have to believe that Mililani alumni were delighted. After all, as you said, Punahou had humiliated their alma mater.
While I'm at it here, I'd like to express my resentment of Iolani School. That's another school that takes a lot of state titles. Perhaps not as many as Punahou School, but close enough. Their girls' basketball team will probably repeat as D1 state champs. Having said that, though, I have to give them credit for playing the #1 school in the nation, Incarnate Word. Iolani School was blown-out, but I have to give them credit for playing them. I was glad, however, that Iolani School then lost to another mainland school, Carondelet, just last night, I think. So, Iolani alumni watched their alma mater lose two consecutive games, and right before Christmas. I don't know what that did to their Christmas joy. But, still: Again, I have to give Iolani School credit for taking-on those two strong mainland schools, including the #1 school in the nation.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello, all.

I'd like to come-out of "retirement" again to report two amazing developments in boys' volleyball and girls' water polo. In boys' volleyball, HBA beat Punahou's D1 this past Tuesday, 3-1. (HBA doesn't have a D2 team.) To properly understand the magnitude of this upset, be aware that Punahou is the nine-year reigning D1 state champion in that sport. Not only that; I can't remember the last time they lost a match in all those years.
In another unbelievable upset, Kamehameha's D1 beat Punahou's D1, 5-2, today, in girls' water polo. As in boys' D1 volleyball, Punahou has been girls' state water polo champion for close to forever. (There's no D2 state girls' water polo.) Not only that; I can't remember the last time their D1 lost a match in that sport in all those years.
Punahou alumni can take some solace in the fact that Punahou beat Kamehameha, 4-2, in softball today, though that wasn't an upset. Punahou is ranked above Kamehameha in softball. But, it's always nice when one's alma mater wins, right? Nonetheless, Punahou School sustained two massive body blows in athletics over the course of the past week.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:19 pm Hello, all.

I'd like to come-out of "retirement" again to report two amazing developments in boys' volleyball and girls' water polo. In boys' volleyball, HBA beat Punahou's D1 this past Tuesday, 3-1. (HBA doesn't have a D2 team.) To properly understand the magnitude of this upset, be aware that Punahou is the nine-year reigning D1 state champion in that sport. Not only that; I can't remember the last time they lost a match in all those years.
In another unbelievable upset, Kamehameha's D1 beat Punahou's D1, 5-2, today, in girls' water polo. As in boys' D1 volleyball, Punahou has been girls' state water polo champion for close to forever. (There's no D2 state girls' water polo.) Not only that; I can't remember the last time their D1 lost a match in that sport in all those years.
Punahou alumni can take some solace in the fact that Punahou beat Kamehameha, 4-2, in softball today, though that wasn't an upset. Punahou is ranked above Kamehameha in softball. But, it's always nice when one's alma mater wins, right? Nonetheless, Punahou School sustained two massive body blows in athletics over the course of the past week.
I don't really follow either sport. But do you think it's because this is early in the season, and maybe Punahou was rotating players or trying new systems? Usually a team is much better (or worse), at the end of the season, compared to the beginning of it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:50 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:19 pm Hello, all.

I don't really follow either sport. But do you think it's because this is early in the season, and maybe Punahou was rotating players or trying new systems? Usually a team is much better (or worse), at the end of the season, compared to the beginning of it.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, even if that were true, it's also early in the season for both HBA and Kamehameha, right? I'm not sure Punahou could use that as an excuse. By the way, Aiea--your alma mater--doesn't have a girls' water polo team, unfortunately. But in a way, that could be a good thing, too, right? You don't have to stress about how they'll do against one school or another. Since they don't have a team, they can't lose to anyone. The anguish of losing, sucks.

Oh, by the way, if there are any Punahou alumni reading this, the Puns got some revenge against the Warriors, as Punahou's D2 girls' water polo team beat Kamehameha's D2 team, 7-3. That's also from today.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello, all. Today, something so shocking happened in high school baseball that I simply had to "unretire" again to post it. Those of you who follow baseball have likely already heard about it. Today, Iolani lost to Mid-Pac, 18-1. No, that's not a typo. Now, Mid-Pac is a good team, but Iolani doesn't suck. In fact, Iolani School almost never sucks in baseball. Iolani's pitching broke-down, disastrously. It wasn't poor D; both schools had two errors apiece. So, the difference was Iolani's (lack of) pitching. Now, as UH Coach Les once famously said, baseball is a crazy game. If a school had already used its ace recently, there may be only a weak pitcher available. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if Iolani had lost, say, 10-1 or 11-1. But, not 18-1. That must have been Iolani's worst baseball loss in some 30 years, perhaps. Iolani alumni must be totally ticked, while Mid-Pac alumni must be giddy on cloud nine. I mean, Iolani School simply doesn't lose baseball games by 17 runs.

No, this is not an April Fool's Day joke.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:14 pm Hello, all. Today, something so shocking happened in high school baseball that I simply had to "unretire" again to post it. Those of you who follow baseball have likely already heard about it. Today, Iolani lost to Mid-Pac, 18-1. No, that's not a typo. Now, Mid-Pac is a good team, but Iolani doesn't suck. In fact, Iolani School almost never sucks in baseball. Iolani's pitching broke-down, disastrously. It wasn't poor D; both schools had two errors apiece. So, the difference was Iolani's (lack of) pitching. Now, as UH Coach Les once famously said, baseball is a crazy game. If a school had already used its ace recently, there may be only a weak pitcher available. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if Iolani had lost, say, 10-1 or 11-1. But, not 18-1. That must have been Iolani's worst baseball loss in some 30 years, perhaps. Iolani alumni must be totally ticked, while Mid-Pac alumni must be giddy on cloud nine. I mean, Iolani School simply doesn't lose baseball games by 17 runs.

Mid Pac is ranked #6, and Iolani is #7. So both teams were pretty evenly matched going into the game. Seems like a bad outing for Iolani today.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:34 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:14 pm Hello, all. Today, something so shocking happened in high school baseball that I simply had to "unretire" again to post it. Those of you who follow baseball have likely already heard about it. Today, Iolani lost to Mid-Pac, 18-1. No, that's not a typo. Now, Mid-Pac is a good team, but Iolani doesn't suck. In fact, Iolani School almost never sucks in baseball. Iolani's pitching broke-down, disastrously. It wasn't poor D; both schools had two errors apiece. So, the difference was Iolani's (lack of) pitching. Now, as UH Coach Les once famously said, baseball is a crazy game. If a school had already used its ace recently, there may be only a weak pitcher available. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if Iolani had lost, say, 10-1 or 11-1. But, not 18-1. That must have been Iolani's worst baseball loss in some 30 years, perhaps. Iolani alumni must be totally ticked, while Mid-Pac alumni must be giddy on cloud nine. I mean, Iolani School simply doesn't lose baseball games by 17 runs.

Mid Pac is ranked #6, and Iolani is #7. So both teams were pretty evenly matched going into the game. Seems like a bad outing for Iolani today.
@ChadFukuoka:

This might blow your mind: The Star-Advertiser had Iolani ranked #1, and Mid-Pac ranked #5. I can't even begin to imagine how Iolani alumni felt yesterday.

Meanwhile, your alma mater, Aiea, had a much better day. Their baseball team didn't have a game, but their softball team did. And, like Mid-Pac's baseball team, Aiea's softball team kicked butt: They murdered Kalaheo, 14-0. One of Aiea's girls--Trinity Caporus-Santos--went 3-for-3, with a dinger.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello again, all. I'm supposed to be "retired" from this message-board, but things keep happening in the world of high school sports that I simply can't resist posting about. My previous post was about Iolani's 18-1 D1 baseball debacle against Mid-Pac. Well, today Iolani and Kamehameha went at it. The two schools played each other today in D1 softball and D1 boys' volleyball. The softball game ended first, with Iolani edging Kamehameha, 10-9. That's despite two dingers by Kamehameha. Kamehameha alumni might have been really ticked and frustrated about that. Well, later in the day, Kamehameha's D1 boys' volleyball team shoved it right back in Iolani's face by beating their D1 team in that sport, 3-2. I could just imagine Kamehameha alumni thinking, "YEAH, Iolani! Take THAT!" Obviously, both the softball game and the volleyball match were as close as you can get. In each sport, the winning school won by the slimmest possible margin. I thought it was all pretty dramatic, and both contests occurred on the same day. This is high school sports at its best.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Another amazing development occurred in high school sports today: Damien beat St Louis in baseball, 4-1. On one level, it was just another regular-season ILH baseball game; yet if you look at it closely, it meant so much more. Let's look at the many ways that this game reverberated:

1. From St Louis alumni's perspective:
This sucked, for the following reasons:
a. Just last night, St Louis beat Kamehameha, 7-2. That vaulted St Louis into first in the ILH. Also, the game was televised. I'm certain that that win would have given St Louis the #1 ranking in the state by the HSA (Honolulu Star-Advertiser), because before the game, Kamehameha was ranked #1 by the HSA.
b. I'd say that Damien is St Louis' traditional archrival. Before classification took place in the early-2000s, Damien and St Louis were bitter rivals. After classification, Damien was usually in D2, so there have been far fewer opportunities for Damien and St Louis to go at each other. Both schools hate to lose to each other.
c. This year, Damien is D2 in baseball, but they play all the D1 schools. That's why they played D1 St Louis today. Therefore, before this game, St Louis was in 1st place in ILH D1, and probably ranked #1 in the state by HSA. Yet they not only lost to an unranked school (Damien); Damien is D2.

2. From Damien alumni's perspective:
a. Even before classification, Damien usually lost to St Louis, in almost every sport. That's what made today's win so sweet.
b. Damien was a goliath-slayer today, taking-down top-ranked D1 St Louis.
c. I think the 4-1 score resonated. I mean, if it were say, 4-3, perhaps not as much. But for Damien to hold St Louis to just one run, while scoring four of their own, I thought was something. One reason Damien was able to hold St Louis to one run was that they played error-free ball, but it should also be mentioned out of fairness to St Louis that St Louis also played error-free ball that game.
d. St Louis has been Damien's archrival, since the '70s.

There's another school that we should consider here: Kamehameha.

3. From Kamehameha alumni's perspective:
a. Last night's loss to St Louis must have been bitter because the HSA had Kamehameha ranked #1 in the state.
b. The loss was televised.
c. The game wasn't that close: The final score was 7-2.
d. The loss dropped Kamehameha to second in the ILH.
e. Kamehameha had to play Punahou today, and Kamehameha won, 8-5, in extra innings. This win, coupled with St Louis' loss to Damien, vaulted Kamehameha right back into first in ILH D1. That was cool enough, but in addition, Punahou is one of Kamehameha's fiercest rivals, so it must always be nice for Kamehameha alumni when Kamehameha beats Punahou. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, I was told that Punahou doesn't like Kamehameha, and Kamehameha doesn't like Punahou. I still remember that.
f. St Louis' loss to Damien probably caused Kamehameha alumni to chuckle with schadenfreude about the Saints.

But really, Damien alumni must be giddy and on cloud nine, with Damien's win over St Louis. That was massive.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 pm Another amazing development occurred in high school sports today: Damien beat St Louis in baseball, 4-1. On one level, it was just another regular-season ILH baseball game; yet if you look at it closely, it meant so much more. Let's look at the many ways that this game reverberated:

1. From St Louis alumni's perspective:
This sucked, for the following reasons:
a. Just last night, St Louis beat Kamehameha, 7-2. That vaulted St Louis into first in the ILH. Also, the game was televised. I'm certain that that win would have given St Louis the #1 ranking in the state by the HSA (Honolulu Star-Advertiser), because before the game, Kamehameha was ranked #1 by the HSA.
b. I'd say that Damien is St Louis' traditional archrival. Before classification took place in the early-2000s, Damien and St Louis were bitter rivals. After classification, Damien was usually in D2, so there have been far fewer opportunities for Damien and St Louis to go at each other. Both schools hate to lose to each other.
c. This year, Damien is D2 in baseball, but they play all the D1 schools. That's why they played D1 St Louis today. Therefore, before this game, St Louis was in 1st place in ILH D1, and probably ranked #1 in the state by HSA. Yet they not only lost to an unranked school (Damien); Damien is D2.

2. From Damien alumni's perspective:
a. Even before classification, Damien usually lost to St Louis, in almost every sport. That's what made today's win so sweet.
b. Damien was a goliath-slayer today, taking-down top-ranked D1 St Louis.
c. I think the 4-1 score resonated. I mean, if it were say, 4-3, perhaps not as much. But for Damien to hold St Louis to just one run, while scoring four of their own, I thought was something. One reason Damien was able to hold St Louis to one run was that they played error-free ball, but it should also be mentioned out of fairness to St Louis that St Louis also played error-free ball that game.
d. St Louis has been Damien's archrival, since the '70s.

There's another school that we should consider here: Kamehameha.

3. From Kamehameha alumni's perspective:
a. Last night's loss to St Louis must have been bitter because the HSA had Kamehameha ranked #1 in the state.
b. The loss was televised.
c. The game wasn't that close: The final score was 7-2.
d. The loss dropped Kamehameha to second in the ILH.
e. Kamehameha had to play Punahou today, and Kamehameha won, 8-5, in extra innings. This win, coupled with St Louis' loss to Damien, vaulted Kamehameha right back into first in ILH D1. That was cool enough, but in addition, Punahou is one of Kamehameha's fiercest rivals, so it must always be nice for Kamehameha alumni when Kamehameha beats Punahou. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, I was told that Punahou doesn't like Kamehameha, and Kamehameha doesn't like Punahou. I still remember that.
f. St Louis' loss to Damien probably caused Kamehameha alumni to chuckle with schadenfreude about the Saints.

But really, Damien alumni must be giddy and on cloud nine, with Damien's win over St Louis. That was massive.
Also, St Louis and Damien were traditionally the only two all boys schools on Oahu. So they had something unique there as part of their rivalry. I believe St Louis is the only all boys school, while there are several all girls schools, Sacred Hearts, Pietra, etc.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

True, that. Back in the '70s, Damien and St Louis were the only all-boys Catholic schools on Oahu; You could call it the "all-boys Catholic school rivalry." I'm convinced that that's why they were such fierce rivals from then until the 2000s, when classification often prevented them from playing each other. Yes, St Louis is now the only all-boys school, as Damien starting accepting girls about six years ago or so. As I was in high school in the mid-'70s, it's kind of weird today to see girls wearing Damien unis on OC16, playing volleyball, basketball and softball.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:15 pm @ChadFukuoka:

True, that. Back in the '70s, Damien and St Louis were the only all-boys Catholic schools on Oahu; You could call it the "all boys Catholic school rivalry." I'm convinced that that's why they were such fierce rivals from then until the 2000s, when classification often prevented them from playing each other. Yes, St Louis is now the only all-boys school, as Damien starting accepting girls about six years ago or so. As I was in high school in the mid-'70s, it's kind of weird today to see girls wearing Damien unis on OC16, playing volleyball, basketball and softball.
Damien being a coed school has an effect on the girls sports at other schools as well. Girls that might have played their sport and attended their district public school, or even another private school, are now going to Damien, instead of somewhere else. So it has a trickle down effect.