2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by TheNewNORM »

When is Farrington going to can Sanchez? Their first D1 game and they are losing 29-0 in 2nd quarter. When?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Farringtons problem is bad coaching. No way they should be down 36-0. They look defeated like their coach Sanchez. Terrible. Can they drop to D2? Can Sanchez.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:01 pm Farringtons problem is bad coaching. No way they should be down 36-0. They look defeated like their coach Sanchez. Terrible. Can they drop to D2? Can Sanchez.
It was 43-0 at half. Same score now, with a running clock the entire second half.

I don't know anything about this coach Sanchez. Was he on Okimoto's staff back then? Completely new to the program? Farrington used to be a decent team in D1, when it was only 2 divisions.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I don’t know if tonight’s game was a complete indictment on Farrington. Perhaps Waipahu is just that good.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:52 pm I don’t know if tonight’s game was a complete indictment on Farrington. Perhaps Waipahu is just that good.
Not an indictment on Farrington, but on Sanchez. What gets me is that kids leave Kalihi to play at Mililani, Moanalua and ILH schools. Looking at last night game, there is flicks of talent. Also size! But penalties, defensive chaos, and overall confusion is a reflection on coaching.
The comparison between Farrington and Waipahu in geographic is very similar. Public housing mix with single family homes. Low income to middle income. And also a huge population of Polynesian kids. Similar except for coaching and overall program.
So if Iolani had to play Farrington, Waipahu and Aiea on successive weekends, in a modified blended D1 league, would they opt for D2? After all these teams are BIG

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 am
gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:52 pm I don’t know if tonight’s game was a complete indictment on Farrington. Perhaps Waipahu is just that good.
Not an indictment on Farrington, but on Sanchez. What gets me is that kids leave Kalihi to play at Mililani, Moanalua and ILH schools. Looking at last night game, there is flicks of talent. Also size! But penalties, defensive chaos, and overall confusion is a reflection on coaching.
The comparison between Farrington and Waipahu in geographic is very similar. Public housing mix with single family homes. Low income to middle income. And also a huge population of Polynesian kids. Similar except for coaching and overall program.
So if Iolani had to play Farrington, Waipahu and Aiea on successive weekends, in a modified blended D1 league, would they opt for D2? After all these teams are BIG
Farrington is big but seemed to lack speed last night. The o-line struggled to protect the QB.

As for your last point, I think so. Iolani always cries about lack of size, even though their speed always makes up for “that.”

I hope Waipahu or Aiea take them down, being that they’ve got the best chance to do that in D1. Waipahu and Aiea ain’t like the OIA white champions Iolani feasted on when they played them in the state title game (in the late 2000s and early 2010s). Waipahu seems as quick as Iolani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:20 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:52 pm

So if Iolani had to play Farrington, Waipahu and Aiea on successive weekends, in a modified blended D1 league, would they opt for D2? After all these teams are BIG.
Farrington is big but seemed to lack speed last night. The o-line struggled to protect the QB.

As for your last point, I think so. Iolani always cries about lack of size, even though their speed always makes up for “that.”

I hope Waipahu or Aiea take them down, being that they’ve got the best chance to do that in D1. Waipahu and Aiea ain’t like the OIA white champions Iolani feasted on when they played them in the state title game (in the late 2000s and early 2010s). Waipahu seems as quick as Iolani.
Doesn't all of this discussion confirm that Iolani is in the right division now?

Open div. teams have size, speed, numbers of players, and strong commitment to football. Good Div. 1 teams have a couple of those. Iolani has speed and commitment to football, but not enough commitment to give scholies to players.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:40 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:20 pm

So if Iolani had to play Farrington, Waipahu and Aiea on successive weekends, in a modified blended D1 league, would they opt for D2? After all these teams are BIG.

Doesn't all of this discussion confirm that Iolani is in the right division now?

Open div. teams have size, speed, numbers of players, and strong commitment to football. Good Div. 1 teams have a couple of those. Iolani has speed and commitment to football, but not enough commitment to give scholies to players.
I haven’t suggested that Iolani play anywhere but D1. I’ve only suggested that they do what Damien does in baseball. And yes, they do recruit—speedy players, that is.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

St Louis 14, Kamehameha 7 start of 2nd quarter

Much closer than I thought

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think St. Louis is simply toying with Kamehameha and saving some stuff for us.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Six,

1.Kahuku 5-0 Def. Campbell 16-6. @St.John Bosco,CA next.
2.Mililani 4-1 Def. Waianae 57-15. Mater Dei,CA next @St.John Bosco.
3.Punahou 4-1 DNP. No.5 St.Louis next @Farrington. Move up one spot.
4.Campbell 3-2. Lost to Kahuku. Drop one place.
5.St.Louis 2-2 Def. Kamehameha 49-14. No.3 Punahou next.
6.Kapolei 4-0 DNP. @Moanalua next.
7.Iolani 4-0 defeat St.Louis II 41-8.Damien next @Farrington.
8.Lahainaluna 4-0 Def. Baldwin 42-0. Kekaulike next.
9.Aiea 4-1 Def. Kailua 13-7. No.10 Waipahu next @Radford.
10.Waipahu 3-1 Def. Farrington 43-0. No.9 Aiea next. 2022 Top Ten debut for the Marauders.

Kamehameha dropped out. Another big out of state week coming up with Kahuku-St.John Bosco, Mililani-Mater Dei, and Kamehameha-Liberty,NV on the schedule.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:58 am Week Six,

1.Kahuku 5-0 Def. Campbell 16-6. @St.John Bosco,CA next.
2.Mililani 4-1 Def. Waianae 57-15. Mater Dei,CA next @St.John Bosco.
3.Punahou 4-1 DNP. No.5 St.Louis next @Farrington. Move up one spot.
4.Campbell 3-2. Lost to Kahuku. Drop one place.
5.St.Louis 2-2 Def. Kamehameha 49-14. No.3 Punahou next.
6.Kapolei 4-0 DNP. @Moanalua next.
7.Iolani 4-0 defeat St.Louis II 41-8.Damien next @Farrington.
8.Lahainaluna 4-0 Def. Baldwin 42-0. Kekaulike next.
9.Aiea 4-1 Def. Kailua 13-7. No.10 Waipahu next @Radford.
10.Waipahu 3-1 Def. Farrington 43-0. No.9 Aiea next. 2022 Top Ten debut for the Marauders.

Kamehameha dropped out. Another big out of state week coming up with Kahuku-St.John Bosco, Mililani-Mater Dei, and Kamehameha-Liberty,NV on the schedule.
I didn’t know Kamehameha had a game against Liberty NV (in Nevada, nonetheless) until recently. To have that come between games against St. Louis and us—ouch.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Having seen a streaming of the KSK-SLS game, penalties are still a problem for St. Louis. Penalties kept them from scoring more points than they did and gave KSK first downs. Regardless, they improved their defensive game plan in the second half. I also think KSK’s defense tired out in the 3rd quarter and couldn’t get anything going offensively.

Regarding our game against St. Louis next Saturday, the keys for us will be to pressure their QB, make their RBs try to beat us (despite the fact that our front seven is a wall), and keep them from converting too many big plays. Big plays from them killed us in all three of our games last year. I also hope Ty starts for us at QB Saturday. Let him continue to play until he gives the coaches a reason to play JK. Ty, though lacking JK’s elusiveness, played admirably against Kahuku and made less mistakes.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I found some disappointing news: neither OC16 nor xcast will show the Waipahu-Aiea game. I hope it’s live-streaming over youtube or somewhere else.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:17 pm I found some disappointing news: neither OC16 nor xcast will show the Waipahu-Aiea game. I hope it’s live-streaming over youtube or somewhere else.
I'm assuming Aiea is renovating their home field, they are playing all of their home games at Radford. Maybe that's why the game isn't televised? Aiea has hosted televised games on their field before.

The Pearl City-Kaiser game on Friday should be a fun one. Both teams can score and have players who can make plays in open space.