2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:16 pm I’ve got bad news for people who’ve got an interest in the Punahou-St. Louis game Saturday: I contacted OC16 and heard that they wouldn’t broadcast it. They haven’t even guaranteed that they’d show the potential November 4th game should it come to that.
All 3 OIA championship games are being televised on OC 16. I also wonder why the XCast station only shows replays of past games. They rarely air live games. Maybe it's a financial issue, not being able to send multiple TV and camera crews out to different schools? Or a personnel issue, not having enough people to cover more games?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:28 pm
gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:16 pm I’ve got bad news for people who’ve got an interest in the Punahou-St. Louis game Saturday: I contacted OC16 and heard that they wouldn’t broadcast it. They haven’t even guaranteed that they’d show the potential November 4th game should it come to that.
All 3 OIA championship games are being televised on OC 16. I also wonder why the XCast station only shows replays of past games. They rarely air live games. Maybe it's a financial issue, not being able to send multiple TV and camera crews out to different schools? Or a personnel issue, not having enough people to cover more games?
I didn’t bother to ask OC16 for an explanation of why they wouldn’t show our Saturday game because I figured they wouldn’t respond. I’m guessing they think that broadcasting three games (one Friday, two Saturday) is too much. I’m also guessing a lack of manpower.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Hard to believe St.Francis last played at Kahuku. That's like a months bye. Only 5 games up to this point. Pollsters must really be confident in the players credentials to have them at 2 or 3.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:11 pm Hard to believe St.Francis last played at Kahuku. That's like a months bye. Only 5 games up to this point. Pollsters must really be confident in the players credentials to have them at 2 or 3.
And Kahuku could have won that matchup. The polls are saying St Frances is on the level of St John Bosco, and Mater Dei. I wonder if Kahuku could have beaten some of the other mainland teams that came here to Hawaii, Bishop Gorman, who dominated St Louis, or Mission Viejo who also won easily over Mililani.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Campbell-Kapolei OIA 3rd place game and final state berth is being played at Nanakuli? I guess they don't want either team to have a home field advantage, but seems like an odd location. Especially since the game is being played on Friday night, and Mililani is only hosting the D1 and D2 games on Saturday.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:51 pm Campbell-Kapolei OIA 3rd place game and final state berth is being played at Nanakuli? I guess they don't want either team to have a home field advantage, but seems like an odd location. Especially since the game is being played on Friday night, and Mililani is only hosting the D1 and D2 games on Saturday.
Campbell/Kapolei game should be at Waipahu High. Much closer for both teams.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:57 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:51 pm Campbell-Kapolei OIA 3rd place game and final state berth is being played at Nanakuli? I guess they don't want either team to have a home field advantage, but seems like an odd location. Especially since the game is being played on Friday night, and Mililani is only hosting the D1 and D2 games on Saturday.
That's true, but it seems like the OIA likes having neutral site games at Mililani whenever possible.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:01 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:57 pm
That's true, but it seems like the OIA likes having neutral site games at Mililani whenever possible.
Maybe because OC16 equipment is close by?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Keep this in mind. Aloha stadium is not a venue. There are not any places in the islands that can hold 10,000 fans for hs football championships anymore. Mililani is the largest capacity I know of for football unless War Memorial on Maui is bigger, but that’s it for now.TC Ching and UH aren’t hosting any hs football games never mind state championships. So the best we have today is Mililani and War Memorial on Maui.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:53 pm Keep this in mind. Aloha stadium is not a venue. There are not any places in the islands that can hold 10,000 fans for hs football championships anymore. Mililani is the largest capacity I know of for football unless War Memorial on Maui is bigger, but that’s it for now.TC Ching and UH aren’t hosting any hs football games never mind state championships. So the best we have today is Mililani and War Memorial on Maui.
Why was Farrington chosen over Mililani as hosts for the state championships? Last year and now this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:37 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:53 pm Keep this in mind. Aloha stadium is not a venue. There are not any places in the islands that can hold 10,000 fans for hs football championships anymore. Mililani is the largest capacity I know of for football unless War Memorial on Maui is bigger, but that’s it for now.TC Ching and UH aren’t hosting any hs football games never mind state championships. So the best we have today is Mililani and War Memorial on Maui.
Why was Farrington chosen over Mililani as hosts for the state championships? Last year and now this year.
I’m guessing accessibility. I also think Farrington is bigger than Roosevelt, a school whose stadium could also host the state tournament games because it’s in Honolulu.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:37 pm
Probably because Mililani has been part of the States playoffs and a home field advantage would be unfair.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Anyone know why Mililani's starting QB is out tonight?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:37 pm Anyone know why Mililani's starting QB is out tonight?
Not even the article that talked about the game specified why he missed it. It did say that he’d also miss the state tournament.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:41 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:37 pm Anyone know why Mililani's starting QB is out tonight?
Not even the article that talked about the game specified why he missed it. It did say that he’d also miss the state tournament.
That will help Punahou's chances in the semifinal. I'm assuming the Open state bracket will be Kahuku-Campbell, and Punahou-Mililani.