2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

I hope quarterback indecision won't hurt us. I already experienced that in 2007.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I've checked the OC16 schedule. They'll show our first two matchups against St. Louis but apparently, Kamehameha won't be on OC16 until the first week of the ILH playoffs.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:01 pm I've checked the OC16 schedule. They'll show our first two matchups against St. Louis but apparently, Kamehameha won't be on OC16 until the first week of the ILH playoffs.
Maybe that's good for Kamehemeha fans. They look like they will be underdogs in every game. Seems like a rebuilding year for them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 pm Both Punahou and Kahuku are taking major risks. JK with the throws he's attempted (two of which ended in interceptions). Even if Kahuku manages to win this game, at this point, my alma matter is over rated. They are going to get killed by SBJ and St Frances.
I don't know too much about St. Francis, but I echo your guarantee against St. John Bosco. I'm thinking a five-touchdown win for them, just because SBJ is that good. Mililani will also likely take a five-touchdown loss to Mater Dei.
Do you feel it's wise that Punahou hasn't played these top teams? Mililani, Kahuku, and St Louis are all willing to play them. Do you feel it's better for Punahou, to not have to risk injuries, or have coaches game plan, for teams they may not even have a chance of beating?

At least non-Open teams like Aiea, Radford, and Farrington all played mainland opponents more on their skill level, all winning.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:38 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:01 pm I've checked the OC16 schedule. They'll show our first two matchups against St. Louis but apparently, Kamehameha won't be on OC16 until the first week of the ILH playoffs.
Maybe that's good for Kamehemeha fans. They look like they will be underdogs in every game. Seems like a rebuilding year for them.
Out of their four ILH games, three are at their stadium.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:48 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 pm Both Punahou and Kahuku are taking major risks. JK with the throws he's attempted (two of which ended in interceptions). Even if Kahuku manages to win this game, at this point, my alma matter is over rated. They are going to get killed by SBJ and St Frances.
I don't know too much about St. Francis, but I echo your guarantee against St. John Bosco. I'm thinking a five-touchdown win for them, just because SBJ is that good. Mililani will also likely take a five-touchdown loss to Mater Dei.
Do you feel it's wise that Punahou hasn't played these top teams? Mililani, Kahuku, and St Louis are all willing to play them. Do you feel it's better for Punahou, to not have to risk injuries, or have coaches game plan, for teams they may not even have a chance of beating?

At least non-Open teams like Aiea, Radford, and Farrington all played mainland opponents more on their skill level, all winning.
I think it was a matter of playing who was available. I also think we scratched the road game in Utah because it would’ve occurred between our games against Kahuku and St. Louis.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Five,

1.Kahuku 4-0 Def.Punahou 27-20. @No.3 Campbell next.
2.Mililani 3-1 Def.Moanalua 56-0. @Waianae next.
3.Campbell 3-1 Def. Leilehua 54-7. No.1 Kahuku next.Move up one place.
4.Punahou 3-1 Lost to Kahuku 27-20. Drop one spot.
5.St.Louis 1-2 Lost to Bishop Gorman,NV 56-14. @ No.9 Kamehameha next.
6.Kapolei 4-0 Def. Waianae 35-21.
7.Iolani 3-0 DNP. St.Louis II next.
8.Lahainaluna 3-0 Def. Kamehameha-Maui 21-14. @Baldwin next.
9.Kamehameha 0-1-1 DNP. No.5 St.Louis next.
10.Aiea 3-1 Def. Woodinville,WA 38-14. @Kailua next.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:49 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:48 pm

I think it was a matter of playing who was available. I also think we scratched the road game in Utah because it would’ve occurred between our games against Kahuku and St. Louis.
I always give a visiting team +7. So in my books Kahuku/Punahou tied. Interesting to see Kia get the other Qb in. He did a better job. Nice tool. Sorry to hear Kainoa is out. Next man up. But for sure he is missed.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:12 am Week Five,

can agree to disagree but i don’t think punahou should drop at all. at the least they should stay at 3, but they showed they can hang with the top team. in my opinion punahou had kahuku on the ropes many times, so they should be at #2. good game nevertheless.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

808hsfootball wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:08 am
unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:12 am Week Five,

can agree to disagree but i don’t think punahou should drop at all. at the least they should stay at 3, but they showed they can hang with the top team. in my opinion punahou had kahuku on the ropes many times, so they should be at #2. good game nevertheless.
True. I think last night proved that very little separates Kahuku and Punahou.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I don’t think the loss of Kaikai Carvalho will hurt Kahuku as much as people are saying it will. They’ve already got two stud running backs in Taulapapa and Lefau and two great receivers—#5 and #3—who rose to the occasion last night. Not to mention Mana Carvalho.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

At scoringlive and staradvertiser, some Kahuku players were quoted as saying they expected to clobber us. I guess their previous two games against ILH teams—last year’s state championship game and the season opener against Kamehameha (two games where they hung 49 on their opponent)—must’ve given them that belief.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I’ve read the comments just like you have. Mililani thinks the same as the Kahuku and Punahou players. There can only be one. So, we will see.Punahou lost to Kahuku. That’s the only contest that we will see before the playoffs and Punahou lost.Mililani hasn’t played Kahuku yet, but that is coming cuz they both OIA. As for Punahou, I do think they are the best ILH team,but, the ILH is screwed up . ILH guys have gone back to playing each other 2-3-4 times each year. Is Punahou going to have to beat STL three times to get into Open states? Kamehameha beat them twice in the regular season last year and still got left out of states because they lost the ILH playoff? Yeah, go ILH, keep playing the same three teams two to three times each year and see where it gets you.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:33 pm I’ve read the comments just like you have. Mililani thinks the same as the Kahuku and Punahou players. There can only be one. So, we will see.Punahou lost to Kahuku. That’s the only contest that we will see before the playoffs and Punahou lost.Mililani hasn’t played Kahuku yet, but that is coming cuz they both OIA. As for Punahou, I do think they are the best ILH team,but, the ILH is screwed up . ILH guys have gone back to playing each other 2-3-4 times each year. Is Punahou going to have to beat STL three times to get into Open states? Kamehameha beat them twice in the regular season last year and still got left out of states because they lost the ILH playoff? Yeah, go ILH, keep playing the same three teams two to three times each year and see where it gets you.
If Punahou and St. Louis split the season and tie for the best record; all we’ll/they’ll need is one win in the playoffs to take the league. Both of us tied for the best league record in 2016 (we split the series that year); St. Louis only needed one victory over us in the ILH playoffs to take the league.

One solution I’ve got to this is letting Iolani play with the Big Three during the regular season then let them play Damien in the playoffs. ILH uses a similar strategy in baseball, having Damien play the high-level teams then play in the league tournament with lower-level teams. It would create a balanced schedule. Of course, Iolani’s coach would strenuously object to that model, even if it might help to IMPROVE his team’s chances of winning a state title.

Regardless, I think Punahou and Kahuku are the two most complete teams in the state.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Forget Iolani/ILH solutions for the Open division teams. The almost correct solution was the two Open division years before Covid.. The regular season was the OIA and ILH Open teams playing each other once. The mistake was that the OIA and ILH could not agree to let the top four teams advance to the state tournament regardless of which league they came from.

It does not look like the admins have learned anything. Maybe I ‘m naive,but, if it were left up to the principals and coaches instead of the league admins…we would still have the pre-Covid Open. Maybe, they could have gotten to the point where they would have put the top four teams by record into the playoffs instead of a hard and fast three OIA and one ILH team rule for states.