2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm Kamehameha needs an offensive guru. They have been averaging under or at 14ppg for several years with the exception of the 2021 team. You have to have Hawaiian ancestry to even have a chance to qualify to take the entrance exam. Recruiting will always be limited. Like it or not, whites,blacks,Chinese ,Japanese,Filipinos,Mexicans,Cambodians,Thais etc.are all coming here to live. Just the way it is.

Maybe it is time for Kamehameha to think about what it means to be Hawaiian in 2022. I’m including academics as well as athletics in this.The Bishop estate was created to keep Hawaiians in the game of life through education. That is an admiral goal. At some point,looking at the demographics in the last 200 years,Kamehameha is going to have to to consider every resident child a Hawaiian and take anyone who can pass the entrance exam. No problem with taking kids with Hawaiian blood , but the way things are going, Kamehameha is going to have to open up admissions to any resident child in Hawaii.
I understand Kamehameha’s predicament for the last nine years, being that we were in their position between 1997 and 2004.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

One more name to add to the list of KSK candidates: Kaeo Drummundo, former Hilo coach.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm Kamehameha needs an offensive guru. They have been averaging under or at 14ppg for several years with the exception of the 2021 team. You have to have Hawaiian ancestry to even have a chance to qualify to take the entrance exam. Recruiting will always be limited. Like it or not, whites,blacks,Chinese ,Japanese,Filipinos,Mexicans,Cambodians,Thais etc.are all coming here to live. Just the way it is.

Maybe it is time for Kamehameha to think about what it means to be Hawaiian in 2022. I’m including academics as well as athletics in this.The Bishop estate was created to keep Hawaiians in the game of life through education. That is an admiral goal. At some point,looking at the demographics in the last 200 years,Kamehameha is going to have to to consider every resident child a Hawaiian and take anyone who can pass the entrance exam. No problem with taking kids with Hawaiian blood , but the way things are going, Kamehameha is going to have to open up admissions to any resident child in Hawaii.
Doesn't the native Hawaiian community want to keep it to those of Hawaiian blood only? I'm sure there would be a lot of push back to opening it up to anyone whose a resident. And there are still only so many slots available, with more than enough Hawaiian applicants applying there.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:18 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm Kamehameha needs an offensive guru. They have been averaging under or at 14ppg for several years with the exception of the 2021 team. You have to have Hawaiian ancestry to even have a chance to qualify to take the entrance exam. Recruiting will always be limited. Like it or not, whites,blacks,Chinese ,Japanese,Filipinos,Mexicans,Cambodians,Thais etc.are all coming here to live. Just the way it is.

Maybe it is time for Kamehameha to think about what it means to be Hawaiian in 2022. I’m including academics as well as athletics in this.The Bishop estate was created to keep Hawaiians in the game of life through education. That is an admiral goal. At some point,looking at the demographics in the last 200 years,Kamehameha is going to have to to consider every resident child a Hawaiian and take anyone who can pass the entrance exam. No problem with taking kids with Hawaiian blood , but the way things are going, Kamehameha is going to have to open up admissions to any resident child in Hawaii.
Doesn't the native Hawaiian community want to keep it to those of Hawaiian blood only? I'm sure there would be a lot of push back to opening it up to anyone whose a resident. And there are still only so many slots available, with more than enough Hawaiian applicants applying there.
One thing to consider about Kamehameha’s admissions policy: it’s much cheaper than that of Punahou, Iolani, and even Mid-Pacific. I’m talking between 5-10 times cheaper. I don’t know if the waiting list to be admitted is long, but it was in the 2000s. I think if KSK were to drop its sacred admissions policy, tuition to attend would rise and might cost as much to attend as Punahou. I think one contributor to them struggle is the fact that the school gives some Native Hawaiian boys scholarships to attend ST. LOUIS. If you were an up-and-coming football player, which school would you prefer to attend—KSK or SLS?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:18 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:22 pm Kamehameha needs an offensive guru. They have been averaging under or at 14ppg for several years with the exception of the 2021 team. You have to have Hawaiian ancestry to even have a chance to qualify to take the entrance exam. Recruiting will always be limited. Like it or not, whites,blacks,Chinese ,Japanese,Filipinos,Mexicans,Cambodians,Thais etc.are all coming here to live. Just the way it is.

Maybe it is time for Kamehameha to think about what it means to be Hawaiian in 2022. I’m including academics as well as athletics in this.The Bishop estate was created to keep Hawaiians in the game of life through education. That is an admiral goal. At some point,looking at the demographics in the last 200 years,Kamehameha is going to have to to consider every resident child a Hawaiian and take anyone who can pass the entrance exam. No problem with taking kids with Hawaiian blood , but the way things are going, Kamehameha is going to have to open up admissions to any resident child in Hawaii.
Doesn't the native Hawaiian community want to keep it to those of Hawaiian blood only? I'm sure there would be a lot of push back to opening it up to anyone whose a resident. And there are still only so many slots available, with more than enough Hawaiian applicants applying there.
One thing to consider about Kamehameha’s admissions policy: it’s much cheaper than that of Punahou, Iolani, and even Mid-Pacific. I’m talking between 5-10 times cheaper. I don’t know if the waiting list to be admitted is long, but it was in the 2000s. I think if KSK were to drop its sacred admissions policy, tuition to attend would rise and might cost as much to attend as Punahou. I think one contributor to them struggle is the fact that the school gives some Native Hawaiian boys scholarships to attend ST. LOUIS. If you were an up-and-coming football player, which school would you prefer to attend—KSK or SLS?
I didn't know about the St Louis thing. Do you know how that came about?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:18 pm

Doesn't the native Hawaiian community want to keep it to those of Hawaiian blood only? I'm sure there would be a lot of push back to opening it up to anyone whose a resident. And there are still only so many slots available, with more than enough Hawaiian applicants applying there.
One thing to consider about Kamehameha’s admissions policy: it’s much cheaper than that of Punahou, Iolani, and even Mid-Pacific. I’m talking between 5-10 times cheaper. I don’t know if the waiting list to be admitted is long, but it was in the 2000s. I think if KSK were to drop its sacred admissions policy, tuition to attend would rise and might cost as much to attend as Punahou. I think one contributor to them struggle is the fact that the school gives some Native Hawaiian boys scholarships to attend ST. LOUIS. If you were an up-and-coming football player, which school would you prefer to attend—KSK or SLS?
I didn't know about the St Louis thing. Do you know how that came about?
This is the article that mentions it: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

I think I’ve mentioned it to you before. The last paragraph mentions my point.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 pm

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:03 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 pm
One thing to consider about Kamehameha’s admissions policy: it’s much cheaper than that of Punahou, Iolani, and even Mid-Pacific. I’m talking between 5-10 times cheaper. I don’t know if the waiting list to be admitted is long, but it was in the 2000s. I think if KSK were to drop its sacred admissions policy, tuition to attend would rise and might cost as much to attend as Punahou. I think one contributor to them struggle is the fact that the school gives some Native Hawaiian boys scholarships to attend ST. LOUIS. If you were an up-and-coming football player, which school would you prefer to attend—KSK or SLS?
I didn't know about the St Louis thing. Do you know how that came about?
This is the article that mentions it: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

I think I’ve mentioned it to you before. The last paragraph mentions my point.
Interesting. It's too bad for you that they don't have any partnership with Hawaiians at Punahou. I'm assuming they don't?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:09 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:03 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm

I didn't know about the St Louis thing. Do you know how that came about?
This is the article that mentions it: https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

I think I’ve mentioned it to you before. The last paragraph mentions my point.
Interesting. It's too bad for you that they don't have any partnership with Hawaiians at Punahou. I'm assuming they don't?
I think our only major connection to them is Bernice Pauahi, who contribution to the growth of both schools. Minor connections include parents who send their kids to both schools. The last year we won a state title—2013—one of our best players had a brother who starred at KSK.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding Kamehameha needing an offensive guru as a coach, they did have one in Doug Cosbie—the man Abu replaced. Cosbie’s best team was his first. My theory as to why he resigned is because of the frustration of blowing major leads in three games in his last season, which cost Kamehameha the ILH title in 2015.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:39 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by TheNewNORM »

I think Bishop Estate assist Hawaiian kids in need, in all private schools. It's more of a academic tuition and not a sports scholarship. The basic requirement is a set GPA. If you play sports,band,etc that's just a plus on your evaluation. Bottom line is education. The % of Hawaiian blood is not a biggie.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2614
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by unpaid »

All the playoff teams have a bye week this weekend.No games to talk about,but,in a way,maybe it’s not so bad.every team has at minimum two weeks to rehab injuries and two weeks to study tape on their opponents.

I think the layoff tends to keep the games interesting because big upsets can occur on the first weekend of playoffs with the extra prep time. The Open division teams have three weeks in between to prepare. It will be interesting to see what Kahuku-Campbell and Punahou-Mililani cook up for each other.

TheNewNORM
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:39 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:39 am All the playoff teams have a bye week this weekend.No games to talk about,but,in a way,maybe it’s not so bad.every team has at minimum two weeks to rehab injuries and two weeks to study tape on their opponents.

I think the layoff tends to keep the games interesting because big upsets can occur on the first weekend of playoffs with the extra prep time. The Open division teams have three weeks in between to prepare. It will be interesting to see what Kahuku-Campbell and Punahou-Mililani cook up for each other.
unpaid wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:39 am All the playoff teams have a bye week this weekend.No games to talk about,but,in a way,maybe it’s not so bad.every team has at minimum two weeks to rehab injuries and two weeks to study tape on their opponents.

I think the layoff tends to keep the games interesting because big upsets can occur on the first weekend of playoffs with the extra prep time. The Open division teams have three weeks in between to prepare. It will be interesting to see what Kahuku-Campbell and Punahou-Mililani cook up for each other.
Not sure if OC16 mentioned the status of Mililani QB McMillans knee injury during the OIA championship but Per York, McMillan finished off the Campbell game but was sore the next day. Tarape is a capable QB, but Kahuku Defense is next level. With an extra 3 weeks maybe Mac will be good to go. Also a 35-0 game did not show Punahou any worthy film. I'm pretty sure York got the word early before the OIA championship that the Open playoffs would be at Mililani. Big plus.

As far as the Kahuku/Campbell game, I dont know what Campbell can do. Kahuku s defense is capable of shutting down Hawaii offenses. Yes it rained during the last game in Ewa, but Jaron had 72 yards passing? Also Central Oahu rain gauges goes up during November.

So as far as a UPSET special, most likely in the Mililani/Punahou game, if McMillan plays. I dont see it with Kahuku/Campbell.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

The good news for the OIA D2 and D1 champions is that both are playing at home this weekend.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Man is Waipahu crapping the bed tonight. Trailing 35-19 at the half.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Spoke too soon. Waipahu has scored 30 consecutive points in the 2nd half. 36 total consecutive points.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Post Reply