2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:02 pm
unpaid wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:33 pm I’ve read the comments just like you have. Mililani thinks the same as the Kahuku and Punahou players. There can only be one. So, we will see.Punahou lost to Kahuku. That’s the only contest that we will see before the playoffs and Punahou lost.Mililani hasn’t played Kahuku yet, but that is coming cuz they both OIA. As for Punahou, I do think they are the best ILH team,but, the ILH is screwed up . ILH guys have gone back to playing each other 2-3-4 times each year. Is Punahou going to have to beat STL three times to get into Open states? Kamehameha beat them twice in the regular season last year and still got left out of states because they lost the ILH playoff? Yeah, go ILH, keep playing the same three teams two to three times each year and see where it gets you.
If Punahou and St. Louis split the season and tie for the best record; all we’ll/they’ll need is one win in the playoffs to take the league. Both of us tied for the best league record in 2016 (we split the series that year); St. Louis only needed one victory over us in the ILH playoffs to take the league.

One solution I’ve got to this is letting Iolani play with the Big Three during the regular season then let them play Damien in the playoffs. ILH uses a similar strategy in baseball, having Damien play the high-level teams then play in the league tournament with lower-level teams. It would create a balanced schedule. Of course, Iolani’s coach would strenuously object to that model, even if it might help to IMPROVE his team’s chances of winning a state title.

Regardless, I think Punahou and Kahuku are the two most complete teams in the state.
If there won't be an alliance in the future, why not have all ILH teams play each other once, and teams in their division twice.

ILH Open

St Louis, Punahou, Kamehemeha plays each other twice. Plays Damien, Iolani, and Pac-5 once. Only games in their division count towards the league playoffs and state berth.

ILH D1

Iolani, Damien, and Pac-5 plays each other twice. Plays St Louis, Punahou, and Kamehemeha once. Only games in their division count towards the league playoffs and state berth. Pac-5 moves up to D1 in this situation.

This gives all ILH teams 7 games, and they play everyone. They can play 2-3 games outside their leagues, OIA, neighbor island, or mainland teams for scheduling flexibility.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:42 pm I don’t think the loss of Kaikai Carvalho will hurt Kahuku as much as people are saying it will. They’ve already got two stud running backs in Taulapapa and Lefau and two great receivers—#5 and #3—who rose to the occasion last night. Not to mention Mana Carvalho.
Kaikai is on another level. When he plays, you can expect 12+ points from him alone. PAT, FG and Td in the air and ground. Add kickoff and punt returns. That's why he was Gatoraid POY 2021. As a coaches son, he is not only skilled but football smart. When hes in, others thrive because of the attention he commands. Hopefully he will be ready for the playoffs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:52 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:02 pm
unpaid wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:33 pm I’ve read the comments just like you have. Mililani thinks the same as the Kahuku and Punahou players. There can only be one. So, we will see.Punahou lost to Kahuku. That’s the only contest that we will see before the playoffs and Punahou lost.Mililani hasn’t played Kahuku yet, but that is coming cuz they both OIA. As for Punahou, I do think they are the best ILH team,but, the ILH is screwed up . ILH guys have gone back to playing each other 2-3-4 times each year. Is Punahou going to have to beat STL three times to get into Open states? Kamehameha beat them twice in the regular season last year and still got left out of states because they lost the ILH playoff? Yeah, go ILH, keep playing the same three teams two to three times each year and see where it gets you.
If Punahou and St. Louis split the season and tie for the best record; all we’ll/they’ll need is one win in the playoffs to take the league. Both of us tied for the best league record in 2016 (we split the series that year); St. Louis only needed one victory over us in the ILH playoffs to take the league.

One solution I’ve got to this is letting Iolani play with the Big Three during the regular season then let them play Damien in the playoffs. ILH uses a similar strategy in baseball, having Damien play the high-level teams then play in the league tournament with lower-level teams. It would create a balanced schedule. Of course, Iolani’s coach would strenuously object to that model, even if it might help to IMPROVE his team’s chances of winning a state title.

Regardless, I think Punahou and Kahuku are the two most complete teams in the state.
If there won't be an alliance in the future, why not have all ILH teams play each other once, and teams in their division twice.

ILH Open

St Louis, Punahou, Kamehemeha plays each other twice. Plays Damien, Iolani, and Pac-5 once. Only games in their division count towards the league playoffs and state berth.

ILH D1

Iolani, Damien, and Pac-5 plays each other twice. Plays St Louis, Punahou, and Kamehemeha once. Only games in their division count towards the league playoffs and state berth. Pac-5 moves up to D1 in this situation.

This gives all ILH teams 7 games, and they play everyone. They can play 2-3 games outside their leagues, OIA, neighbor island, or mainland teams for scheduling flexibility.
That was the case between 2002 and 2014. Games like our 68-0 win against Pac-Five in 2014 are the reason the lower-level ILH teams no longer play the higher-level ones. The only time Damien or Pac-Five came close to beating one of the big three was 2010, when Kamehameha trailed Pac-Five for most of the game but scored with less than a minute remaining to win the game, 21-17.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:10 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:42 pm I don’t think the loss of Kaikai Carvalho will hurt Kahuku as much as people are saying it will. They’ve already got two stud running backs in Taulapapa and Lefau and two great receivers—#5 and #3—who rose to the occasion last night. Not to mention Mana Carvalho.
Kaikai is on another level. When he plays, you can expect 12+ points from him alone. PAT, FG and Td in the air and ground. Add kickoff and punt returns. That's why he was Gatoraid POY 2021. As a coaches son, he is not only skilled but football smart. When hes in, others thrive because of the attention he commands. Hopefully he will be ready for the playoffs.
That’s true, but you can’t deny that his absence has forced other Kahuku players to step up.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder if the OIA was unwilling to go back to the Alliance this year because of what happened in 2018 and 2019, seasons that ended in lopsided championship game losses for the OIA champions. The problem with 2018 was that the ILH champion was just too strong; the problem with 2019 was that the OIA was too weak. Neither seems to be the case this season.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:10 pm
That’s true, but you can’t deny that his absence has forced other Kahuku players to step up.
Kaikai is a once every so often talent; for Big Red, like pretty much every public school, it means alot when a player of that caliber graduates or is injured. Big Red actually has 3 really solid running backs; #17 was out injured for the Punahou game. Big Red's issues against Punahou wasn't because KaiKai wasn't playing.

I may get some hate from fellow RR's, but the qb play hasn't been the best so far. For a kid who is a senior and had alot of game time experience last year, IMHO, his inability to get passes to where they need to be is troubling.

Big Red's D gave up 20 points, but it was a real valuable learning experience for certain defenders. Every single mistake made is totally correctable; if Big Red and Punahou meet again, assuming both squads are at 100%, I expect a much better showing by our D vs the Puns O.

Going back to Big Red's O, I'm old school, so with KaiKai out, I would love to go back to a more traditional look with the Power-I and adapt the passing game off of that; honestly, IMHO, i think even a pistol look would be great with the rb's and receivers who are available to play.

The Campbell game will be another great test, especially the Sabers O against Big Red's D.

RRFL!!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:32 am I wonder if the OIA was unwilling to go back to the Alliance this year because of what happened in 2018 and 2019, seasons that ended in lopsided championship game losses for the OIA champions. The problem with 2018 was that the ILH champion was just too strong; the problem with 2019 was that the OIA was too weak. Neither seems to be the case this season.
The Alliance would have been perfect if just the top 4 teams made states in the Open, and the top 3 in D1 and D2. It's too bad the OIA couldn't agree to that. Now it looks like the arrangement is done for good.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

today shows why iolani should be in ILH open. they’re going to cruise their way to another ilh d2 championship playing jv teams. such. a. shame.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

808hsfootball wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:55 pm today shows why iolani should be in ILH open. they’re going to cruise their way to another ilh d2 championship playing jv teams. such. a. shame.
Be careful about criticizing Iolani’s presence in D2 in the ILH. Some people might cry about it. I remember a bunch of years back some people started a thread urging people to leave them alone (i.e. stop criticizing them). They even wrote a damn article complaining about their detractors. At least a former Iolani-loving user ain’t here to attack you with his narcissism. Speaking of narcissism and elitism, when Iolani beats our lower-level varsity team, they’ll think of it as having beaten our higher-level team. It’ll mean as much to them as their last victory over us (2009) did. They’ll demand that that victory over our lower-level team count in the record books against us.
Last edited by gopunahou on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

About Iolani playing D2 in the ILH—the best thing the league can do to create balance is have them do the same thing Damien did in baseball. And about Iolani’s detractors—most of them remember the kind of teams they fielded in the 90s.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:19 pm
808hsfootball wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:55 pm today shows why iolani should be in ILH open. they’re going to cruise their way to another ilh d2 championship playing jv teams. such. a. shame.
Be careful about criticizing Iolani’s presence in D2 in the ILH. Some people might cry about it. I remember a bunch of years back some people started a thread urging people to leave them alone (i.e. stop criticizing them). They even wrote a damn article complaining about their detractors. At least a former Iolani-loving user ain’t here to attack you with his narcissism.

haha thanks for the heads up. i’m sure you’d be more than happy to see a punahou vs iolani matchup every year. closest to that you’re going to get this year is the jv vs iolani.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

808hsfootball wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:23 pm
Be careful about criticizing Iolani’s presence in D2 in the ILH. Some people might cry about it. I remember a bunch of years back some people started a thread urging people to leave them alone (i.e. stop criticizing them). They even wrote a damn article complaining about their detractors. At least a former Iolani-loving user ain’t here to attack you with his narcissism.

haha thanks for the heads up. i’m sure you’d be more than happy to see a punahou vs iolani matchup every year. closest to that you’re going to get this year is the jv vs iolani.
I’d love to see our varsity team play them. We’d give them a rude awakening. Of course, Iolani fans (including one who nearly got this board shut down 9 years ago) would say as many hypocritical things about us as they can.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’m watching Waipahu-Farrington tonight. I think Waipahu’s got a good chance of toppling Iolani.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 pm

I’d love to see our varsity team play them. We’d give them a rude awakening. Of course, Iolani fans (including one who nearly got this board shut down 9 years ago) would say as many hypocritical things about us as they can.
Would you say most Punahou fans cheer against Iolani in football, and vice versa, considering the teams don't play each other regularly and aren't in the same division anymore? Or does it not matter, since each team would be competing for separate titles?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:51 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:28 pm

Would you say most Punahou fans cheer against Iolani in football, and vice versa, considering the teams don't play each other regularly and aren't in the same division anymore? Or does it not matter, since each team would be competing for separate titles?
Some do, some don’t. What Punahou fans don’t like is hearing Iolani brag about lots of things, which happens a lot. There was even an Iolani parent here that nearly got this board shut down 9 years ago.