2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Hard to believe that about 15 years ago, Kamehameha and Leilehua played in D1 state championship game. Both are staring winless seasons in the face.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

On the subject of Kamehameha, their lower level varsity team is giving Damien all they can handle. That lends me to believe that they indeed handed Pac-Five a 52-7 loss, which was the score of their higher level team’s loss to us today. I wonder if their lower level team would give their higher level one a game. Will be interesting when they play Iolani next week. FYI, their lower level team only won by 11 points against ours.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eight,

1.Kahuku 6-1 Def. Kapolei 35-0. St. Frances Academy,MD next
2.Punahou 5-1 Def. Kamehameha 52-7. Move up one place.
2.Mililani 4-2 DNP. Leilehua next. Move down one spot.
4.Campbell 4-2 Def. Moanalua 51-15. @No.6 Kapolei next.
5.St. Louis 2-3 DNP. @Kamehameha next. Bumped up one spot.
6.Kapolei 5-1 Lost to Kahuku. No.4 Campbell next. Drop one spot.
7.Iolani 6-0 Def. Punahou II 35-0. Kamehameha II next.
8.Lahainaluna 6-0 Def. Maui 17-7.
9.Waipahu 5-1 Def. Roosevelt 59-24. @Castle next.
10.Aiea 4-2 DNP. @Radford next.

Campbell-Kapolei might determine which team is seeded fourth and last for the OIA Open playoffs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Because Kahuku’s chances look of beating Saint Frances this Friday look remote, there could be a two-loss state champion (at the highest level of course) for the first time since 2007. One thing that could increase that possibility is if we beat St. Louis again on October 8. Since a victory over the will have given us the ILH 1st round championship, we might play our subs against Kamehameha the following week, as we did in 2012 when we clinched the ILH a week before the season ended. That might be the only way Kamehameha wins a game this year.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm Because Kahuku’s chances look of beating Saint Frances this Friday look remote, there could be a two-loss state champion (at the highest level of course) for the first time since 2007. One thing that could increase that possibility is if we beat St. Louis again on October 8. Since a victory over the will have given us the ILH 1st round championship, we might play our subs against Kamehameha the following week, as we did in 2012 when we clinched the ILH a week before the season ended. That might be the only way Kamehameha wins a game this year.
Giants were a 7 loss team that won the Super Bowl.

I commend teams that challenge themselves with out of league juggernauts. Teams like Kahuku and Mililani have built their programs to have national powers even take the game. That’s saying something. When you have the opportunity, take it.

A Punahou/Kahuku state title game would be really exciting. Too bad Punahou didn’t schedule a solid mainland team with this years squad, they would’ve done well.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

University Ave wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:14 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:51 pm Because Kahuku’s chances look of beating Saint Frances this Friday look remote, there could be a two-loss state champion (at the highest level of course) for the first time since 2007. One thing that could increase that possibility is if we beat St. Louis again on October 8. Since a victory over the will have given us the ILH 1st round championship, we might play our subs against Kamehameha the following week, as we did in 2012 when we clinched the ILH a week before the season ended. That might be the only way Kamehameha wins a game this year.
Giants were a 7 loss team that won the Super Bowl.

I commend teams that challenge themselves with out of league juggernauts. Teams like Kahuku and Mililani have built their programs to have national powers even take the game. That’s saying something. When you have the opportunity, take it.

A Punahou/Kahuku state title game would be really exciting. Too bad Punahou didn’t schedule a solid mainland team with this years squad, they would’ve done well.
I think the HS FB equivalent of the Giants is the Leilehua team that won it all with Manley. As for us, we originally scheduled a trip to Utah between the Kahuku and St. Louis games but scrapped it.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The televised games this Friday and Saturday are Kahuku-St. Frances, Mililani-Leilehua, Waialua-McKinley, and Kamehameha-St. Louis. Kind of disappointing that the slate didn’t include Campbell-Kapolei, being that that game will likely determine the 3rd and 4th positions in the OIA Open playoffs. I’m likely following as much of the KSK-SLS game as I wish to in the small hope that KSK can pull it off. A KSK win will give us more of a leg up in the ILH than we’ve already got.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The two games that are catching my attention this week are Campbell-Kapolei and St. Louis-Kamehameha.

Kapolei’s offense struggled against Kahuku. Don’t expect that to change against a Campbell defense that returned 3 interceptions for touchdowns last week. Going with Campbell.

I know this has been a nightmarish season for Kamehameha, but I’m following this game hoping Kamehameha can somehow pull off the upset. Regardless, I expect the goal of St. Louis to be to put Kamehameha away as early as possible so they can rest their starters before facing us. Kamehameha seemed to get something with its running game last week (albeit after the score was 42-0). If they can keep St. Louis’s offense off the field, it’ll increase their unlikely chances of victory.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:47 pm Hard to believe that about 15 years ago, Kamehameha and Leilehua played in D1 state championship game. Both are staring winless seasons in the face.
Another team that is winless, but was really good around 15 years ago was Baldwin. They used to dominate the MIL, and I remember that heartbreaking loss to Kahuku on that trick play as time ran out. It would have been nice to see Baldwin win and face St Louis in that year's state championship. They might have had a chance, as St Louis had some injuries.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:47 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:47 pm Hard to believe that about 15 years ago, Kamehameha and Leilehua played in D1 state championship game. Both are staring winless seasons in the face.
Another team that is winless, but was really good around 15 years ago was Baldwin. They used to dominate the MIL, and I remember that heartbreaking loss to Kahuku on that trick play as time ran out. It would have been nice to see Baldwin win and face St Louis in that year's state championship. They might have had a chance, as St Louis had some injuries.
I remember that team. Holy hell is that one of the most heartbreaking losses I’ve ever seen a team suffer. That’s also as close as a neighbor island team got to reaching the state title game at the highest level. Man has the gap widened between neighbor island teams and elite Oahu teams.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I’m also watching the St. Louis-Kamehameha game to see if the things that’ve plagued St. Louis all year remain a problem.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

OC16 is saying a ton of Kamehameha players won't play tonight. That diminishes their slim chances of winning, which I hope they'll do (to give us more of a leg up in the ILH than we've already got).

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kapolei 6, Campbell 3 start of 2nd quarter

St. Louis-Kamehameha scoreless near end of 1st quarter

Kamehameha's defense is playing much better than last week. We pretty much did anything we pleased in the 1st quarter last week. I also applaud KSK's D for giving us a blueprint for next week. As good as Graham and Lacaden are, we've got the talent to shut the SLS offense down.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

1st quarter ends scoreless for SLS-KSK. It's gotta make KSK feel better that this is a marked improvement for KSK over the last two ILH games (both of which saw KSK surrender at least 2 TD's before the 1st quarter ended). Offense must improve or the D will tire out.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think Kamehameha suffered an injury that they didn't need--to their one constant one offense the whole season (Kealii Ah Yat).