2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by unpaid »

The only change I’ve made from spring is to flip Campbell over Mililani. Farrington and Waialua kick off the football season next Thursday!

1.Kahuku No.6 Kamehameha next.
2.St.Louis @No.5 Mililani
3.Punahou @Waipahu
4.Campbell
5.Mililani No.2 St.Louis next.
6.Kamehameha No.1 Kahuku next.
7.Waianae Castle next.
8.Kapolei. Kealakehe next
9.Farrington Waialua next.
10.Iolani @Kaiser.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by rrforlifebaby »

unpaid wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:48 am The only change I’ve made from spring is to flip Campbell over Mililani. Farrington and Waialua kick off the football season next Thursday!

1.Kahuku No.6 Kamehameha next.
2.St.Louis @No.5 Mililani
3.Punahou @Waipahu
4.Campbell
5.Mililani No.2 St.Louis next.
6.Kamehameha No.1 Kahuku next.
7.Waianae Castle next.
8.Kapolei. Kealakehe next
9.Farrington Waialua next.
10.Iolani @Kaiser.
That's a significant flip considering the returnees for the school with the ugly colors and the transfers they got from Kaleipohaku. All that matters is the ranking at the end of the season and hopefully, Big Red goes wire to wire.
RRFL!!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week One

1.Kahuku 1-0 Shutout Kamehameha 49-0.
2.Mililani 1-0 Def. St.Louis 28-7. Move up three spots. Mission Viejo,CA next
3.Punahou 0-0 Waipahu game canceled. @Moanalua
4.Campbell 0-0 Did Not Play.DNP. Kailua next.
5.St.Louis 0-1 Lost to Mililani. Drop three spots. @Kapaa.
6.Waianae 1-0 Def.Castle 26-6. Move up one spot.
7.Kamehameha 0-1 Lost to Kahuku. Move down one. Warren,Downey CA next.
8.Kapolei 1-0 shutout Kealakehe 70-0. No.9 Farrington next.
9.Farrington 1-0 Def. Waialua 42-7. @No.8 Kapolei.
10.Iolani 1-0 Def.Kaiser 62-27. Radford next.

Mililani over St.Louis. Didn’t see that one coming. Guess Mililani has a better offense than I thought they would. Kahuku will be a tough out for anyone but St.John Bosco.
Last edited by unpaid on Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

HS football is finally here. What an Exciting weekend of great match ups.
1. Kahuku looks great...period
2. Mililani is young but looks like a tough contender once again this year
3. Punahou didn't play but will definitely dominate the ILH
4. Campbell didn't play. They're stacked and loaded to make a run
5. St. Louis looked as expected. The loss of 7 key returnees hurt. They will struggle this season
6. Kamehameha young team but took on the states top dawg. They'll battle with St. Louis for 2nd in the ILH
7. Iolani looks like a machine again. They will make another D1 state title run
8. Aiea will be a force in the OIA this season. Can't wait to watch Aiea v. Farrington
9. Waianae new HC bringing back some west side pride. Tough hard nosed D, with some ground and pound on O
10. Lahainaluna will make a state title run once again this season

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Two,

1.Kahuku 1-0 DNP. No.6 Waianae next.
2.Mililani 1-1 Lost to Mission Viejo,CA 34-21. @Kailua next.
3.Punahou 1-0 Def. Moanalua 35-0. @Castle next.
4.Campbell 1-0 Def. Kailua 34-0. Waipahu next.
5.St.Louis 1-1 Def. Kapaa 49-6
6.Waianae 1-0 DNP. @Kahuku next
7.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP. Warren,CA played Kam’s I-AA team.Why the bait and switch on fans and the teams?
8.Kapolei 2-0 Def. Farrington 42-0. Knock Governors out of the Top Ten. Aiea next.
9.Iolani 2-0 Def. Radford 56-41. Raiders move up one.
10.Lahainaluna 1-0 Def. Hilo 28-20. First appearance in the 2022 rank. Maui next.

A little transparency would be nice surrounding Warren ultimately playing what amounts to the Warriors’ B-team. I think we could handle the truth whatever it is.

Radford’s helmets without the Ram’s horn insignia? As an alum,have to say “No” to that look.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

unpaid wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:56 am Radford’s helmets without the Ram’s horn insignia? As an alum,have to say “No” to that look.
Maybe it's brand new helmets and they're waiting for the ram horn decals to come in so they can apply them? If not, then yeah, it's lame. The plain helmet look is too generic for most teams. Maybe they're trying for the tough, back-to-basics vibe, but it just looks cheap and lazy, IMO. Even Penn State at least has the single stripe.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I hope it is a supply chain delay,bandits1.I would not like to see plain Radford helmets anymore than I would want to see Farrington W/O a maroon and white Packer’s “G”,or Punahou w/o that-0- on their helmet.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:36 pm I hope it is a supply chain delay,bandits1.I would not like to see plain Radford helmets anymore than I would want to see Farrington W/O a maroon and white Packer’s “G”,or Punahou w/o that-0- on their helmet.
I think the new helmets we got are "safer" helmets, i.e. ones that give players more of a cushion against head impact than the previous ones did.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:35 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:36 pm I hope it is a supply chain delay,bandits1.I would not like to see plain Radford helmets anymore than I would want to see Farrington W/O a maroon and white Packer’s “G”,or Punahou w/o that-0- on their helmet.
I think the new helmets we got are "safer" helmets, i.e. ones that give players more of a cushion against head impact than the previous ones did.
That seems a waste of money since the starters are all recruited and not at that school for the academics. If they were paying the full $30k a year then protecting their brains would be worth it
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

OldManJenkins wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:12 pm
That seems a waste of money since the starters are all recruited and not at that school for the academics. If they were paying the full $30k a year then protecting their brains would be worth it
When we need your idiotic opinions, we’ll ask for them.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Then why would Iolani even field a team being such a "akademik" school? Almost oxymoronic, hmmm.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:16 am
Then why would Iolani even field a team being such a "akademik" school? Almost oxymoronic, hmmm.
Well, Iolani is pretty competitive across all sports. So I guess their high academic standards haven't affected their on field/court performance.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:43 pm
Well, Iolani is pretty competitive across all sports. So I guess their high academic standards haven't affected their on field/court performance.
Lol, all good. Actually Iolani has great programs. There is always scholarships available to all levels of college sports. This also goes for Mililani and all other public teams that strive to secure these scholarships. So Radford may have outside district players. Big deal. Salanoa is a good coach. Look at Kalihi players who left Farrington or opt out. Farringtons program is terrible. These kids need exposure on a national stage. A full ride scholarship from D1 or D2 or NAIA is a FULL RIDE. Some schools are more likely to help achieve this then others.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:43 pm

Lol, all good. Actually Iolani has great programs. There is always scholarships available to all levels of college sports. This also goes for Mililani and all other public teams that strive to secure these scholarships. So Radford may have outside district players. Big deal. Salanoa is a good coach. Look at Kalihi players who left Farrington or opt out. Farringtons program is terrible. These kids need exposure on a national stage. A full ride scholarship from D1 or D2 or NAIA is a FULL RIDE. Some schools are more likely to help achieve this then others.
You think with Farrington, it's just a matter of Okimoto leaving a few years ago, and the new coaching staff not being as good? Or more of an administrative issue/AD issue? They were pretty competitive in the OIA D1, when it was just two divisions, usually behind Kahuku and Mililani, but competitive against most teams.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

When Punahou plays Kahuku, I'm taking this position: I'd rather have our team finish the game as healthy as possible (regardless of whether we win or lose) than win the game and suffer a ton of devastating injuries in the process.