2022 high school football season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: 2022 high school football season

Post by unpaid »

A BIIF game the first week was canceled because of Covid health and safety protocols and was reported by one of the Big Island papers. The DOE didn’t come in and shut sports down or send kids back to online only.

We’ve had a few games canceled on Oahu and it’s been silence from the OIA and ILH. I’m guessing that Covid positives might be the reason for these cancellations and the OIA and ILH don’ want to say it. The StarAdvertiser reported one of the Oahu games being canceled as due to not enough players being available. The SA didn’t say why those players weren’t available. This is curious. In the past,schools would admit that games would be canceled but they would give a reason whether it was just being able to only suit up 15 players,academic probation,Covid,etc.

Why the silence from the two Oahu leagues? The BIIF experience this year proves the DOE isn’t going to go into a tizzy over covid and disrupt school life like they did the past two years. Just my opinion.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Kailua has a game canceled for the second week in a row. I'm guessing there's a covid outbreak? Last week canceled against Mililani, now tomorrow's game against Kapolei.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:28 pm Kailua has a game canceled for the second week in a row. I'm guessing there's a covid outbreak? Last week canceled against Mililani, now tomorrow's game against Kapolei.
I haven't seen official confirmation of our cancellation of our game in Utah, but I'm guessing it's because playing Kahuku, then travelling to Utah, then playing St. Louis might be too much of a grind, even for a team as powerful as ours.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:13 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:28 pm Kailua has a game canceled for the second week in a row. I'm guessing there's a covid outbreak? Last week canceled against Mililani, now tomorrow's game against Kapolei.
I haven't seen official confirmation of our cancellation of our game in Utah, but I'm guessing it's because playing Kahuku, then travelling to Utah, then playing St. Louis might be too much of a grind, even for a team as powerful as ours.
The Bedrock Sports football section lists Punahou's game against Orem as canceled.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:36 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:13 pm
The Bedrock Sports football section lists Punahou's game against Orem as canceled.
I won't shed any tears. We need a bye between games against Kahuku and St. Louis.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Farrington @McMinnville,OR.

In the last four years the Grizzlies best record was 5-5 in 2018. The past three years McMinnville never won more than three games in a season. The do have some good players,but not enough going by the recent W-L records.

Farrington has struggled the past few years as well and dropped out of the Open division. Looks like a toss-up to me,but I will pick Farrington for the win.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Radford @ Magnolia,CA.

The Sentinels are a public school program in Anaheim. The OC Register pick them to contend for second place in their league. Can’t find much about them. Seem to have a small squad around 31 players. 0-2 so far. They had to forfeit their first game and were shutout 44-0 last week.

Can’t figure out Radford who is also 0-2.Very inconsistent. Rams put up 41 points against Iolani but could only get 7 against Waipahu. On defense they give up 56 to Iolani. Looks like same story at Waipahu giving up 35 the first half,but then something clicked in the second half and Waipahu was blanked the rest of the way. Reading comments by the Marauders
HC in the paper ….seems he was frustrated that Radford clamped down on defense.

I don’t really have a strong objective feeling about who will win this game, so I will go for Radford for the dub.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Alright!

1sr QTR. Radford up 28-0 over Magnolia,and Farrington up 7-0 over McMinnville.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Radford over Magnolia,Farrington over McMinnville,Aiea over Woodinville. Local teams sweep mainland teams this week.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm Radford over Magnolia,Farrington over McMinnville,Aiea over Woodinville. Local teams sweep mainland teams this week.
Don’t expect that to continue with the Bishop Gorman game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku-St. Frances Academy,

SFA can boast of 19 nationally ranked recruits to 7 for Kahuku. The Panthers will have an edge in quality depth, but nowhere near the numerical edge St. John Bosco has. QB Michael Van Buren 6-0 175 leads the offense. RB Durrell Robinson 6-1 195 averages 128 yards rushing. On defense, look for DL Da’shawn Womack 6-5 250. The Panthers have a lockdown guy at safety.

Saw SFA on tv a few weeks ago. They like running the football,but Van Buren can sling it too when needed. Panthers love misdirection plays out of the backfield to freeze defenses. They tend to get a little undisciplined with penalties. They basically gave Venice FL at least 14 points with defensive and unsportsmanlike penalties. Kahuku needs to take advantage if that happens again this week.

I feel an upset in the air. I like Kahuku for the dub.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/09/ ... owerhouse/
https://www.maxpreps.com/md/baltimore/s ... ll/roster/
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Footb ... l&State=MD
https://www.maxpreps.com/md/baltimore/s ... /rankings/

From the Star-Advertiser....
Saint Frances is off to a 4-0 start and is ranked No. 3 nationally by MaxPreps behind St. John Bosco (Calif.) and Mater Dei (Calif.). Kahuku lost at St. John Bosco two weeks ago, 34-7. The Panthers opened the season with a 20-13 win over East St. Louis (Ill.), then routed DeSoto (Texas), 47-7, Venice (Fla.), 34-17, and Dutch Fork (S.C.), 26-7. All were road games.

The Panthers represent a large segment of the top football talent in the Old Line State. 24/7 Sports rates 17 of the Panthers on its Top 50 players list. That includes No. 2 Derrick Moore, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive lineman who has committed to Michigan. No. 3 Jaishan Barham is a 6-3, 230-pound linebacker committed to Maryland. No. 6 Aaron Wilson, a 6-2, 235-pound defensive lineman, is undecided.

Andre Roye, a 6-4, 320-pound offensive lineman, is rated No. 11 and committed to Maryland. Their other Top-50 O-linemen include Jude Bowry (6-5, 285, Boston College commit), Jacob Sacra (6-5, 315, East Carolina commit), Cornell Evans (6-1, 280, Buffalo commit), Marcus Johnson (6-6, 310, undecided) and Rene Miller (6-6, 280, undecided).

Quarterback John Griffith (6-1, 215), rated 41st, is committed to Bowling Green. Wide receiver Ike White (5-11, 185), rated No. 25, is committed to Minnesota.

On the gridiron, the Panthers are a throwback of sorts.

“Their O-line and D-line are bigger than Bosco’s,” Carvalho said. “They play a physical game. Their running backs, one is committed to Pitt and the other to Boston College. They run the ball really good. We watched the film. Third-and-14, they’re running. They play with the pass, but when they need yards, they run.”

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I don’t share unpaid’s enthusiasm about Kahuku pulling off the upset. I do think that it’ll be closer than the SBJ game. I’m going St. Frances by 2 TD’s.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

I like to see more tight end hits off of the elephant/wildcat formation. That and Kaimana passing out of the punt formation. Let's face it. Kahuku gotta roll the dice.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

TheNewNORM wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:55 pm I like to see more tight end hits off of the elephant/wildcat formation. That and Kaimana passing out of the punt formation. Let's face it. Kahuku gotta roll the dice.
Yes, nailed that tight end 2 pt. conversion.