2022 high school football season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 high school football season

Post by gopunahou »

Disappointing for both teams that Waipahu and Punahou can’t play.

Anyway, Mililani rocking St. Louis, 28-7. Only once have the Trojans beaten them—2014—the year they won their only high-level state championship. I’ve forgiven Mililani for beating us that year because they took down Iolani two years later.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:42 pm Disappointing for both teams that Waipahu and Punahou can’t play.

Anyway, Mililani rocking St. Louis, 28-7. Only once have the Trojans beaten them—2014—the year they won their only high-level state championship. I’ve forgiven Mililani for beating us that year because they took down Iolani two years later.
St Louis needs a lot of work on their O-line. Mililani had 11 sacks in the first half alone. Crazy. Looks like Mililani's defense has speed and is able to chase down ball carriers.

I think Punahou is the favorite to win the ILH this year. Based on tonight's game, St Louis will struggle to pass protect, and their pass heavy offense will have a hard time getting in rhythm.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:22 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:42 pm Disappointing for both teams that Waipahu and Punahou can’t play.

St Louis needs a lot of work on their O-line. Mililani had 11 sacks in the first half alone. Crazy. Looks like Mililani's defense has speed and is able to chase down ball carriers.

I think Punahou is the favorite to win the ILH this year. Based on tonight's game, St Louis will struggle to pass protect, and their pass heavy offense will have a hard time getting in rhythm.
Offensive line issues definitely hurt St. Louis, but what really hurt was untimely turnovers when St. Louis was threatening to score. Take those turnovers away the game easily could have gone the other way.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:22 pm

A lot of people have propped us up as contenders. Fact is, we can ill afford to have as many injuries as we did last year. Nor can we afford to give up the big play as much as we did. Speaking of the big play, St. Louis struggled to stop it from Mililani. Two other things that hurt them last night—turnovers and penalties—were a major bugaboo last season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Louis apparently was rotating players on offense trying to find their starters. Ron Lee said his team has no returning starters from last year,he might have used this non- league game to sift through his squad and see who performed the best against a playoff caliber opponent. I am not sure if he got many answers. His top two QB’s about equal in terms of production in the pass game,so no one stood out there.Looks like defensive speed will beat St.Louis again this year.

Mililani really lived by the big play. The Trojans were only 3-8 on third down conversions.They will need to improve on sustaining drives.

Kailua and Leilehua tied. Why no OT? Has there been a rule change? Just wondering.

Iolani might have been the only team that was close to mid-season form. Kaiser outgained the Raiders by 50 yards,but Iolani won 62-27.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:22 am St.Louis apparently was rotating players on offense trying to find their starters. Ron Lee said his team has no returning starters from last year,he might have used this non- league game to sift through his squad and see who performed the best against a playoff caliber opponent. I am not sure if he got many answers. His top two QB’s about equal in terms of production in the pass game,so no one stood out there.Looks like defensive speed will beat St.Louis again this year.

Mililani really lived by the big play. The Trojans were only 3-8 on third down conversions.They will need to improve on sustaining drives.

Kailua and Leilehua tied. Why no OT? Has there been a rule change? Just wondering.

Iolani might have been the only team that was close to mid-season form. Kaiser outgained the Raiders by 50 yards,but Iolani won 62-27.
Scoringlive said that the Kailua-Leilehua game didn’t go to OT because it was a non-league game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Thanks, gopunahou.😀

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku 28, Kamehameha 0 2nd Q

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Kahuku 49, Kamehameha 0 final

To call this a massacre might be an understatement.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:42 pm Kahuku 49, Kamehameha 0 final

To call this a massacre might be an understatement.
Then I wonder what you would call Kapolei's 70-0 win over Kealakehe this afternoon.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Mililani beating St. Louis wasn't a surprise. St. Louis is very inexperienced on offense and their Defense can't stop the big play. They will struggle to win ball games this season

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

Dog 96707 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:04 am Mililani beating St. Louis wasn't a surprise. St. Louis is very inexperienced on offense and their Defense can't stop the big play. They will struggle to win ball games this season
True, but this is like fielding a whole new team for STL with guys that never played together(offense). Graham looks better. Line blocking was non existing especially with a pass offense. The snaps were awful, but cant blame Kaahana Torres who is the best offensive lineman but NOT a center. I see Coach Lee sticking with a 2 qb system. Graham gotta stay away from laying licks before he gets hurt. Defensively, secondary spotty.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Yes, exactly. I believe apduhan is their lone returning starter on Offense. But if they don't fix the OL problems it'll be a long season. Especially with how much they pass the ball.
I like punahou winning the ILH and I really believe they'll dominate both kam and stl. Open division state playoff should be kahuku, mililani, Campbell and punahou

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

There was one positive Kamehameha can take away. They look much better in their blue helmets after chucking those ugly white ones.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mission Viejo plays Mililani this weekend. This my breakdown.

Star power(college recruit rankings) favors MV. Mililani has one 3-star in DB/WR Gavin Hunter 6-2 190 Arizona commit.
Mission Viejo has four 3-stars.Mikey Matthews WR 5-10 WR has also played rugby for the national junior team and coaches in a youth 7on7 league. Jackson Holman 6-3 200 WR is an Arizona commit. Edward Schultz 6-1 195 WR is a Colorado commit. Getting them the ball is Kadin Semonza 6-1 190 QB.

Coaching. Rod York and MVHC Chad Johnson both run year-round programs and are highly competitive on a national scale.
Before taking the MV job in 2018,Johnson was the OC for St.John Bosco’s pass heavy offense.Now that he’s the head guy,he is showing his Old guard ground and pound approach a little more. MV will come out with the air attack and then when ground lanes open up he’ll start sending the infantry in on the ground. Johnson is also the OC for the Diablos. I don’t have to tell you guys about how coach York has built up the Mililani program.

Passing. Both teams have a good QB and multiple pass catchers.

Running. Mission Viejo will exploit run lanes when the pass opens up the ground game and the game is in their control.Mililani did not show much of a ground game against St.Louis.

Defense. Those Crusader transfers will help defending against those MV receivers.Mission Viejo gives multiple looks and hides their true intentions,. The defense they show when you come up to the line isn’t necessarily what they are going to run when the ball is snapped.

Line strength. No information on The Trojans,but I did find a little on Mission Viejo. Two of their linemen and one linebacker (starters) can power clean 295 lbs. Three linemen can do over 20 reps with a 205 lb weight. Don’t know how that compares with Mililani.

Mission Viejo has a projected 16 starters returning. The Diablos will not be rotating players to find out who can play. They have 16 guys who know how to play and were starters last year. They are are going to be a tougher opponent than St.Louis I think.

I think Mililani has a chance,but they are probably going to have to convert third downs better than they did last week.

National perceptions. Mililani is on no national Top 100,200,etc. lists that I follow. This year Kahuku and Mission Viejo appear on more than one website at different positions(depending on the site) anywhere from No.26-No.50 in the country.
I don’t think Mililani beats Kahuku. Since they are similarly ranked with Kahuku on several different websites, I think that MV wins the game.

We will see. Should be a good game.