Conference realignment and UH

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Conference realignment and UH

Post by UnBiasFan »

Small chance we get invited upwards … but no chance with no stadium and no money for major university athletics

PAC 12 needs a so cal presence … I think they could pull in SDSU and let them develop with better recruiting of so cal talent …

For USC and UCLA …. They are still going to play each other … USC still gets Norte Dame … and this will be huge for the Rose Bowl because Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State will be playing there during regular season against UCLA … those will be $100 plus tickets if UCLA can get their program together … and out of conference you will still see Oregon, Wash, Stanford at Coliseum and Rose Bowl

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I think Hawaii would have solid chance to get invited to the PAC 12, if Matlin hired June Jones. June credibility would have helped big time. Now I think the same thing just like it was 10 years ago. The PAC 12 will raid the MWC and leave the MWC for dead just like the WAC and this time Hawaii might be looking in from the outside. Unless, Timmy can save Hawaii Football... I hope i'm wrong about this but Hawaii might have to go independent in 2025.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: MAJOR SHOCKER: USC & UCLA to the Big Ten by 2024!!!

Post by shrek2 »

This is a big talking point in the sports world on the West Coast. But they say what doesn't make sense, makes money. The Big-10 is expected to receive 1 billion from Fox for their football rights. Fox is located in LA and so is USC and UCLA. UH used to get millions from the Big-10 for football games in their stadium whereas they got a lot less playing the Pac-12/10. I don't see major reorgs; just a lot of schools trying to make their programs more profitable and doing whatever it takes.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/bmoorecfb/status/1544362074385649670

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The PAC12 as a conference will die a horrible death. Worried for UH. We have no leaders in our State with any vision or forethought.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 am The PAC12 as a conference will die a horrible death. Worried for UH. We have no leaders in our State with any vision or forethought.
So true on both counts. I think the PAC 12 will not exist anymore. And we have no leaders that don't care about athletics and it shows. We don't even have a decent stadium to play in.
ImageImage

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

WarriorTyme wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:12 am I think Hawaii would have solid chance to get invited to the PAC 12, if Matlin hired June Jones. June credibility would have helped big time. Now I think the same thing just like it was 10 years ago. The PAC 12 will raid the MWC and leave the MWC for dead just like the WAC and this time Hawaii might be looking in from the outside. Unless, Timmy can save Hawaii Football... I hope i'm wrong about this but Hawaii might have to go independent in 2025.
The Pac12 has no interest in watering down their brand by adding MWC schools. If anything, the MWC may bolster their ranks by adding lower tier PAC schools like WSU, OSU, and perhaps Cal. In the end however, UH could be left out. The one thing we have going for ourselves is that UH home games are often the last game of the college football day. IF that last game of the college football day means $$$, then "keeping hawaii around" will be important to the TV markets. That is the only way we survive. Unfortunately, we have seen time and time again that UH football is not a priority in the state of hawaii. Perhaps for a few fans it is. But on a state-wide level, UH football is not a big thing. Again, it comes down to money. If UH football is important to ESPN, FOX, and CBS, then we just might see it break into some truly new chapters for warrior football. I don't think people understand how dire the situation is. We just might be seeing the last days of UH football.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Or it will be back to Linfield, Pacific, PortlandState………. I remember when number one UH fan was our governor back then. I guess it will be back to 3 guys sitting in a whole section on a cold rainy night. Even stadium back then held more people.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I think people are blowing this a little out of proportion. UH football is not going to die. It may be a little bit less relevant in the grand scheme of things, but the same will be true for AT LEAST 60 other programs. We can't control whether or not we get included in the big conferences post-realignment, and it isn't because of our stadium size or because the state government sucks - it's because our TV market is too small. This current wave of chaos is 100% driven by media dollars, and there is NOTHING we can do about that. The only small markets that are benefitting from this are the ones that happen to already be in a major conference, pre-realignment.

People want to point fingers at the stadium or the government or whoever - we do this because these are things that feel like they are somewhat under our control. But the truth is that it is so far out of our control. For all of Boise State's success at building a program, they may get left out of the picture as well because they can't control the size of their media market, either. Maybe they manage to get an invite somewhere at the last minute, but the fact that all of their success over the last 20 years has amounted to moving from the WAC to the MWC and nothing else shows you how much (or how little) you can actually control in the current college football landscape.

If we are going to survive, we need to shed this inferiority complex and stop being the first people to poop on ourselves. We see Coach Chang living this mentality every day, and that is why he's had some recruiting success early on. If our ceiling is lower now and our highest peak may be to be the best G5 football team around, then let's go after that and not feel bad about it. Football is still football, billion dollar tv contracts notwithstanding. If we are going to have to line up against the UTEP's and NMSU's and San Jose St's of the world, lets do it and lets win those games.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The last time there was movement in the conferences that affect UH, and end result was kind of the same.

OK, UH joined the WAC. Nice.

BYU and others left the WAC for something new call Mountain West. Wow, how come no invite. MWC was "special."

WAC basically became MWC.

So MWC was almost like just being in the WAC (except with different letters).

If teams are leaving PAC-12 and some MWC teams join PAC-12.

And UH join PAC-12 for example, then PAC-12 would sort of be like MWC and the old WAC. Some PAC-12 teams used to be with WAC.

Being part of PAC-12 would then be nothing special.

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:24 am The last time there was movement in the conferences that affect UH, and end result was kind of the same.

OK, UH joined the WAC. Nice.

BYU and others left the WAC for something new call Mountain West. Wow, how come no invite. MWC was "special."

WAC basically became MWC.

So MWC was almost like just being in the WAC (except with different letters).

If teams are leaving PAC-12 and some MWC teams join PAC-12.

And UH join PAC-12 for example, then PAC-12 would sort of be like MWC and the old WAC. Some PAC-12 teams used to be with WAC.

Being part of PAC-12 would then be nothing special.
Except if they have a big TV contract.
ImageImage

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

even with usc and ucla leaving, if pac12 sticks together, they are projected make $30million each off of media rights.why would any team join the mwc that makes less than $5million a year?

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I'm a realist. For all intents and purposes, it is not looking good for UH. NO matter which way you slice it.
I bleed UH football. Have done so for many years. But things just don't feel right. Whether it is the stadium issue or other challenges, I still believe that there is a very real chance UH gets left out.

Is UH football really "too big to fail?" We'll see how our state leaders respond.

The need to put out a winning product has never been so urgent. It's gonna come down to the bradduhood to keep the UH fans believing.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Irse

Post by Irse »

anykine wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:24 pm even with usc and ucla leaving, if pac12 sticks together, they are projected make $30million each off of media rights.why would any team join the mwc that makes less than $5million a year?
Whomever owns the media rights may have a clause included that can void that contract.
ImageImage