New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
warriorfan808

Re: New Stadium

Post by warriorfan808 »

Been trying to catch up on things. So we are currently using TC Ching Field that has a capacity of 9,000 or 10,000 seats? Reports are showing that there was approval for a new 400 million dollar stadium to replace the current stadium, but it keeps getting pushed. Why wasn't Aloha Stadium just repaired? Wasn't it like a 50 million dollar renovation? From what I'm reading, this new stadium could end up being only 30,000 seats.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

warriorfan808 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:14 pm
Been trying to catch up on things. Why wasn't Aloha Stadium just repaired? Wasn't it like a 50 million dollar renovation?
kapakahi wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:16 pm
At least Abercrombie continued to support & include Capital Improvement Project (CIP) design & construction funding for repairs of the Aloha Stadium in his Executive budget throughout his administration to extend the usable life for the existing Aloha Stadium whereas Ige cut-off all CIP design & construction funding for Aloha Stadium in 2015 immediately upon becoming Governor. The last construction repair project at Aloha Stadium was completed in Summer 2018 utilizing Abercrombie-initiated CIP design & construction funding appropriated back in 2014 (the last year of his administration).

Governor Ige plain ignored the cautionary warnings from the State's structural engineering consultant back in January 2019 (at the start of the 2019 Legislative Session) about the impending shut-down of the Aloha Stadium due to its the rapidly deteriorating condition.....probably because he still fancies himself as a "wannabe" engineer.

Link

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

warriorfan808 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:14 pm Been trying to catch up on things. So we are currently using TC Ching Field that has a capacity of 9,000 or 10,000 seats? Reports are showing that there was approval for a new 400 million dollar stadium to replace the current stadium, but it keeps getting pushed. Why wasn't Aloha Stadium just repaired? Wasn't it like a 50 million dollar renovation? From what I'm reading, this new stadium could end up being only 30,000 seats.
It needed at least $30 million in repairs to just pass safety inspection. And that would've bought it maybe 4-8 years, at best, of useful life. Better and cheaper to bite the bullet on new stadium than trying to bandaid a rusting hulk.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:56 pm
warriorfan808 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:14 pm
Been trying to catch up on things. So we are currently using TC Ching Field that has a capacity of 9,000 or 10,000 seats? Reports are showing that there was approval for a new 400 million dollar stadium to replace the current stadium, but it keeps getting pushed. Why wasn't Aloha Stadium just repaired? Wasn't it like a 50 million dollar renovation? From what I'm reading, this new stadium could end up being only 30,000 seats.
It needed at least $30 million in repairs to just pass safety inspection. And that would've bought it maybe 4-8 years, at best, of useful life. Better and cheaper to bite the bullet on new stadium than trying to bandaid a rusting hulk.
In total agreement on the new stadium!

Now need a proactive Governor and administrative staff committed to developing/constructing the new stadium....something that obviously didn't happen the past 8 years under Ige (during when this whole process should already have been executed....like was successfully accomplished for other MWC public institutions Colorado State & San Diego State.).

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

And in another attempt to further delay NASED and rub it in the noses of his adversaries in the State senate, Ige said no need a new stadium and entertainment complex, just fix Aloha Stadium. Infuriating indeed to UH fans. He is a do nothing turd and worst Governor we have ever had. He also said that he would have an announcement about the plans for the new stadium in three weeks or less. It's been six weeks now since that pronouncement on September 21st.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:00 am And in another attempt to further delay NASED and rub it in the noses of his adversaries in the State senate, Ige said no need a new stadium and entertainment complex, just fix Aloha Stadium. Infuriating indeed to UH fans. He is a do nothing turd and worst Governor we have ever had. He also said that he would have an announcement about the plans for the new stadium in three weeks or less. It's been six weeks now since that pronouncement on September 21st.
i change my mind about the moped nickname.david ‘clown show’ ige.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:00 am And in another attempt to further delay NASED and rub it in the noses of his adversaries in the State senate, Ige said no need a new stadium and entertainment complex, just fix Aloha Stadium. Infuriating indeed to UH fans. He is a do nothing turd and worst Governor we have ever had. He also said that he would have an announcement about the plans for the new stadium in three weeks or less. It's been six weeks now since that pronouncement on September 21st.
Ige appears to be in Okinawa. That must leave Green as acting Gov. He should flex a little gubernatorial muscle, get rid of McCartney, and get this Stadium fiasco unstuck. It'll irritate Ige, but would boost Green's approval rating!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

locomoko wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Ige appears to be in Okinawa. That must leave Green as acting Gov. He should flex a little gubernatorial muscle, get rid of McCartney, and get this Stadium fiasco unstuck. It'll irritate Ige, but would boost Green's approval rating!
Looks like Ige is already back from his last boondoggle.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/go ... e-mission/
Gov. Ige is scheduled to return to Honolulu on Thursday, Nov. 3, 2022.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:41 pm
locomoko wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:12 pm
Looks like Ige is already back from his last boondoggle.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/go ... e-mission/
Gov. Ige is scheduled to return to Honolulu on Thursday, Nov. 3, 2022.
Was in Japan? That's why he missed the last missile alert, oops, monthly siren testing. He could have panicked and who knows what could have happened. Or not happened.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

ige gets a small kine pass on the uchinanchu trip to japan.when he gets back to hawai’i,the secret stadium plan should be on top of his list.i expect an announcement on monday nov.7.early in the morning.

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:56 pm
warriorfan808 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:14 pm Been trying to catch up on things. So we are currently using TC Ching Field that has a capacity of 9,000 or 10,000 seats? Reports are showing that there was approval for a new 400 million dollar stadium to replace the current stadium, but it keeps getting pushed. Why wasn't Aloha Stadium just repaired? Wasn't it like a 50 million dollar renovation? From what I'm reading, this new stadium could end up being only 30,000 seats.
Thanks for the update. I wonder how much money they lost in revenue each year due to not extending for 4-8 years. Not really 30K vs 50K if we are also factoring in loss.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Igidiot. Petty Little Man.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Meant to ask this, sort of related. When media was interviewing one of the 1992 players, he used the term "Cook Field." I get that. I know when you donate $$$ you get your name on the building. Just wondering then, what happen to the name "Cook Field?" Did the Cook family have a saying? Were they approached to pony of the cash. I believe it has been "Cook Field" for decades.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

original completion date for new aloha stadium was 2023.that would be next football season. :rofl2: :rofl2:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:35 am Meant to ask this, sort of related. When media was interviewing one of the 1992 players, he used the term "Cook Field." I get that. I know when you donate $$$ you get your name on the building. Just wondering then, what happen to the name "Cook Field?" Did the Cook family have a saying? Were they approached to pony of the cash. I believe it has been "Cook Field" for decades.
I found this on-line:
https://manoa.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=2665

"The grass football and soccer practice fields, adjacent to the Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium, will continue to carry the name Cooke Field."

https://libweb.hawaii.edu/names/cooke.html

"The original field was built in 1915, with funds from its namesake, Joseph P. Cooke, president of Alexander and Baldwin at that time."