New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: New Stadium

Post by cabanalane »

Thanks for finding the history.

As much as I like the name Aloha Stadium, have there been any talk about selling the name? If the state would allow Facebook Stadium, the money would be here tomorrow, and construction start on Monday, no?

And the stadium would have to be color blue, I guess. You would buy game tickets on facebook and the came would be stream on facebook too. And Mark Zuckerberg VIP Box for all the Kakaako elite residence. I see lots of winning there.

Let's not forget Oprah too. She lives in Hawaii too, right. OWN Stadium.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:46 am
Hearing from reliable State government insiders that Governor Ige is “playing politics” with any CIP project appropriations specifically initiated and/or sponsored by Senator Donovan Dela Cruz. Hearing that Governor Ige’s personal resentment of Dela Cruz stems from a perceived lack of respect (probably because of their obvious difference in style) from Dela Cruz (who often utilizes the local news media to reflect his opinions). In addition to the new stadium project, Governor Ige is also currently stalling a couple other significant CIP construction projects in the Wahiawa area also specifically initiated/sponsored by Senator Dela Cruz.

Whereas Governor Ige might have approved release of the associated CIP appropriation funding (at least for some of these CIP projects), Ige still has NOT approved the associated EIS for all of these projects (including the new stadium project) which is legally required by the HRS (Hawaii Revised Statutes) in order to proceed with construction procurement as well as to initiate City acceptance of required construction permit applications (in order to initially clear the pre-requisite Land Use & Zoning approvals; given DPP’s other ongoing issues).

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ige eventually approves the EIS for these projects in his 11th Hour of his term (in November or December) so that no one can claim that he didn’t approve them….while still accomplishing his apparent intention of stalling (and potentially sabotaging) these projects just to upset Dela Cruz and his constituents….thereby also effectively punting the “clean-up” effort to the next Governor and his administration to deal with.

Never a good thing when an outgoing Governor with a bruised ego prioritizes his personal pride over the interests of the public.
Hearing from reliable State government insiders that outgoing lame-duck Governor Ige has finally approved the EIS (as I previously suspected that he eventually would before his departure after having purposely delayed his approval for about 1 calendar year) for the new stadium development project (based specifically on the conceptual new development siteplan layouts previously presented for the legally-required public review process) which leaves new Governor-elect Josh Green the option of EITHER sticking with this approved EIS and going forward accordingly with project as was previously intended prior to Ige's September 2022 "change in direction" OR start over again with EIS process to revise and re-issue an updated/amended EIS (based on revised/updated conceptual siteplan layouts for the new stadium development project) for another round of legally-required public review process (which would take at least 1 additional calendar year) before approving the updated/amended EIS in order to legally proceed with the updated/revised stadium development project.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

david “i tell you in 3 weeks my new secret stadium plan” ige is the biggest clown in hawai’i.the people of hawai’i is the last priority on his list.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am
kapakahi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:46 am
Hearing from reliable State government insiders that Governor Ige is “playing politics” with any CIP project appropriations specifically initiated and/or sponsored by Senator Donovan Dela Cruz. Hearing that Governor Ige’s personal resentment of Dela Cruz stems from a perceived lack of respect (probably because of their obvious difference in style) from Dela Cruz (who often utilizes the local news media to reflect his opinions). In addition to the new stadium project, Governor Ige is also currently stalling a couple other significant CIP construction projects in the Wahiawa area also specifically initiated/sponsored by Senator Dela Cruz.

Whereas Governor Ige might have approved release of the associated CIP appropriation funding (at least for some of these CIP projects), Ige still has NOT approved the associated EIS for all of these projects (including the new stadium project) which is legally required by the HRS (Hawaii Revised Statutes) in order to proceed with construction procurement as well as to initiate City acceptance of required construction permit applications (in order to initially clear the pre-requisite Land Use & Zoning approvals; given DPP’s other ongoing issues).

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ige eventually approves the EIS for these projects in his 11th Hour of his term (in November or December) so that no one can claim that he didn’t approve them….while still accomplishing his apparent intention of stalling (and potentially sabotaging) these projects just to upset Dela Cruz and his constituents….thereby also effectively punting the “clean-up” effort to the next Governor and his administration to deal with.

Never a good thing when an outgoing Governor with a bruised ego prioritizes his personal pride over the interests of the public.
Hearing from reliable State government insiders that outgoing lame-duck Governor Ige has finally approved the EIS (as I previously suspected that he eventually would before his departure after having purposely delayed his approval for about 1 calendar year) for the new stadium development project (based specifically on the conceptual new development siteplan layouts previously presented for the legally-required public review process) which leaves new Governor-elect Josh Green the option of EITHER sticking with this approved EIS and going forward accordingly with project as was previously intended prior to Ige's September 2022 "change in direction" OR start over again with EIS process to revise and re-issue an updated/amended EIS (based on revised/updated conceptual siteplan layouts for the new stadium development project) for another round of legally-required public review process (which would take at least 1 additional calendar year) before approving the updated/amended EIS in order to legally proceed with the updated/revised stadium development project.
I am pretty certain Josh Green is going to be managed by a political team. Modern politics is all about narrative and spin. I fully expect the stadium will be played like it is the most altruistic blessing to mankind now that its direction can be managed by compassionate Dr. Josh Green. But when it comes to politics, it is all about generating cash flows into campaigns and dishing out rewards through power brokerage. I expect no different from this administration. They might believe housing is a human right. Sounds good. But in Hawaii, as elsewhere, political power is the goal and that power is owned by rich people, for rich people, to make rich people richer.

A simple stadium built in a park like setting is completely out of the question. All the players want a piece of the action. Will this new direction make a dent in the housing crisis, absolutely not. More planning, design, professional services, lawyers, architects, insurance salesmen … then protracted union based development spread over a decade. Gather your ballots and mail them all in every election for more of the same. But, he is a medical doctor! Hah, I remember saying something similar about the last one — an engineer!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

There has never been anything modern about Hawaiian politics. Is that a good thing or bad? The original Aloha Stadium was clearly a poor result of our political will. Rich people did not benefit from that stupid endeavor. What's next? Ching Field is incredible as an intermediary measure. Build it up to the minimum requirements and plan for the future stadium at the location of the last failure. No rush. Do it right. Don't fund another white elephant...just because...

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Ige's failures overshadow whatever accomplishments he's had over the past 8 years. This stadium situation is just the latest failure of his. John A. Burns would have pushed it through.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:49 am There has never been anything modern about Hawaiian politics. Is that a good thing or bad? The original Aloha Stadium was clearly a poor result of our political will. Rich people did not benefit from that stupid endeavor. What's next? Ching Field is incredible as an intermediary measure. Build it up to the minimum requirements and plan for the future stadium at the location of the last failure. No rush. Do it right. Don't fund another white elephant...just because...
In my opinion, Aloha Stadium was an exceptional venue. I have been to so many memorable concerts, football games, other events. Tailgating was terrific. The only thing I would have changed is putting in a bunch of trees throughout the lower and outer parking areas to make it more like the inner circle areas. Of course, we know the design wasn’t sufficient to stand the test of time. But I have no regrets about that place and how she served us over the years. Sad to see her go. But now is well past the time to implode her. :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

:mopedsmile:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:46 am
SundayJam wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:49 am There has never been anything modern about Hawaiian politics. Is that a good thing or bad? The original Aloha Stadium was clearly a poor result of our political will. Rich people did not benefit from that stupid endeavor. What's next? Ching Field is incredible as an intermediary measure. Build it up to the minimum requirements and plan for the future stadium at the location of the last failure. No rush. Do it right. Don't fund another white elephant...just because...
In my opinion, Aloha Stadium was an exceptional venue. I have been to so many memorable concerts, football games, other events. Tailgating was terrific. The only thing I would have changed is putting in a bunch of trees throughout the lower and outer parking areas to make it more like the inner circle areas. Of course, we know the design wasn’t sufficient to stand the test of time. But I have no regrets about that place and how she served us over the years. Sad to see her go. But now is well past the time to implode her. :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:
Ditto this. Living on the mainland now, I've seen many good stadiums being demolish for "no real" reason, other than being older. Unfortunately, that has been the new trend. Everyone likes to attend a venue that new and shiny. So IMO, Aloha Stadium would have to go today, regardless of the rust, etc. For the OGs, there was a time the trees were small. And it did not have the same feel. Once the trees mature, that's where the local custom set in for the tailgating and swap meet. For me, the I have more memories with the trees and parking lot than the actual stadium structure. From what I've seen on the future plans, too bad some of the trees got to go, relocated, etc. I don't recall how fast the trees grew, but that tailgating feeling may not be back for maybe 10+ years?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Future plans for NASED do not include the ability to tailgate onsite.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Arcumfortis
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Arcumfortis »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:28 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:46 am
Ditto this. Living on the mainland now, I've seen many good stadiums being demolish for "no real" reason, other than being older. Unfortunately, that has been the new trend. Everyone likes to attend a venue that new and shiny. So IMO, Aloha Stadium would have to go today, regardless of the rust, etc. For the OGs, there was a time the trees were small. And it did not have the same feel. Once the trees mature, that's where the local custom set in for the tailgating and swap meet. For me, the I have more memories with the trees and parking lot than the actual stadium structure. From what I've seen on the future plans, too bad some of the trees got to go, relocated, etc. I don't recall how fast the trees grew, but that tailgating feeling may not be back for maybe 10+ years?

Yes I miss Aloha Stadium. It was 1985 when I first set foot in the stadium and thought to myself that there were not many place in the world that I would rather be. It was bright and well kept and felt very much like a first class facility. Over the years even with the deterioration it still had appeal and gave the feeling of doing something special. I don’t think Ching field can ever come close to replicating that feel. I know our community has many needs and for many a new stadium is not a top priority. But I hope that those in leadership understand that a stadium makes a statement about our community - it’s part of our “brand.” I hope we can create a stadium that has a uniquely Hawaiian feel that showcases the best of who we are - while at the same time being mindful of other community priorities. This is not impossible - it just takes leadership and vision.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Good editorial today related to this topic.
https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/12/neal- ... th-skater/
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

anykine wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:52 pm 2023 turned to 2025 turned into 2026.lol.clown show.
page 2 material.you already know cuz.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

josh green,you are on the clock.